Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

evilweasel posted:

above pure cost is to have an audible "YOU GOTTA CLICK HERE" prompt that is effective at redirecting your attention from what it is you were actually doing to complete the "yes, i definitely was paying attention to this insanely boring video and noticed this button that asked me to press it, not tabbed over from real work/fake work/netflix/video games"

that is the most important feature

Oh all you do is just input the codes, no checks on watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MazelTovCocktail posted:

oh boy, that might be worth going out of pocket instead of using the cle programs that my firm subscribes to

i thought those annoying things were required

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

evilweasel posted:

oh boy, that might be worth going out of pocket instead of using the cle programs that my firm subscribes to

i thought those annoying things were required

I used to work for a company that made the web sites for CME quizzes from textbooks. We also did the payment processing. You got your CME credits as soon as your credit card was processed...........

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

evilweasel posted:

above pure cost is to have an audible "YOU GOTTA CLICK HERE" prompt that is effective at redirecting your attention from what it is you were actually doing to complete the "yes, i definitely was paying attention to this insanely boring video and noticed this button that asked me to press it, not tabbed over from real work/fake work/netflix/video games"

that is the most important feature

This 1000%

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
*laughs in MCLE exempt*

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don't have to do CLE anymore.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't have to do CLE anymore.

No just actual E, which is somehow worse.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Motronic posted:

I used to work for a company that made the web sites for CME quizzes from textbooks. We also did the payment processing. You got your CME credits as soon as your credit card was processed...........

Thank you, firm reimbursement + cc rewards programs!

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

MazelTovCocktail posted:

But aren't the codes always displayed at a random time between 30-40 minutes into the one hour presentation? My old firm had a library of DVDs like that. It would have been unethical to just write down the code on the spine of the DVD, I guess, but apparently not unethical for the partners to tell their secretaries to watch the video for them?

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
My firm's online CLE library uses a player that pops up a "click here within X seconds to indicate you are watching" notification at a random time once every 30-60 minutes. If you don't click the notification in time, then the CLE automatically pauses itself until you click through the notification. Also, the entire player window slowly grays out as the notification timer counts down, which makes it easy to notice even if for some reason you've had to move most of the player window off screen and stop listening to the audio temporarily. I don't know, maybe you had to take a call or something. If you get the player to reach the end of the CLE, then congrats you get credit.

The most annoying thing about my firm's CLE library is that most of the CLEs available are only an hour long. There are some longer courses, but I've already done those and I still have 18 more CLE hours to go before the end of the year.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ani posted:

But aren't the codes always displayed at a random time between 30-40 minutes into the one hour presentation? My old firm had a library of DVDs like that. It would have been unethical to just write down the code on the spine of the DVD, I guess, but apparently not unethical for the partners to tell their secretaries to watch the video for them?

Between 2-4 (but 4 is really rare) and spliced in. That’s how you can download it and watch it at your own pace.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/15/1037295769/alex-murdaugh-lawyer-hired-insurance-payout-police-south-carolina

Go to law school, hire a hitman to shoot you for the insurance money.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

I'm impressed this guy found a guy who's not actually a fed and who actually tries to do the job!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

sullat posted:

I'm impressed this guy found a guy who's not actually a fed and who actually tries to do the job!

Benefits of a T-14 legal education

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
SovCit talk just got to a new level, may god have mercy on us

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1438612028063629325?s=19

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

sullat posted:

Based on the results he might have been better off with the fed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

It's worse than that. SC has a two year lookback safe harbor for suicide in life insurance; if the policy is older than two years, it pays in case of suicide.

Everyone in SC who does any insurance law at all knows this.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Man I really can't imagine doing this for another 20 years. I mean 30 years. Jesus.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's worse than that. SC has a two year lookback safe harbor for suicide in life insurance; if the policy is older than two years, it pays in case of suicide.

The guy picked a great time to fake his own murder, though. Two of his family members were just killed, probably in connection with an accidental death his son caused due to "boating under the influence." It's entirely reasonable to assume he would also be killed in that same plot. Unfortunately, his hired help had lovely loving aim.

This is the type of tactical insight only law school can teach you.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Vox Nihili posted:

Man I really can't imagine doing this for another 20 years. I mean 30 years. Jesus.

I'm using zoom hearings to play stocks. I can't do this for 30 years.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Jesus. What a loving shitshow.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

So dude could have just offer himself and gotten the desired result with no fraud? Lol

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Phil Moscowitz posted:

So dude could have just offer himself and gotten the desired result with no fraud? Lol

Yes, but it's relatively likely that this wasn't a real suicide attempt and he's trying to cover for something even dumber.

This has been an ongoing saga for a while now and has layers.

Dude's only alibi for his wife and son's death is his 90 year old mother who has alzheimer's, so he'd be the prime suspect except two separate firearms were used, an AR and a shotgun.

There are at least two and possibly more prior deaths/murders that the family's been involved in and covered up to one extent or another.

There are multiple podcasts covering the whole saga already.

Here's a timeline of the whole saga:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/13/us/murdaugh-deaths-timeline/index.html

My personal bet is somehow dude ended up in severe debt to cartel / organized crime.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 18, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Can he still just finish the job in jail?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Grip it and rip it posted:

Can he still just finish the job in jail?

He hired Dick Harpootlian -- genuinely one of the best criminal defense lawyers in the state -- and Dick got him checked into rehab ASAP, so he's not in jail right now.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Dick Harpootlian sounds like a character in a Bloom County strip

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Dick Harpootlian sounds like a character in a Bloom County strip

https://g.co/kgs/A2AwDf

https://www.goupstate.com/article/NC/20010301/News/605178401/SJ

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 18, 2021

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Honestly this shows the triumph of the professionalism of the legal profession. The guy has been the prosecutor in this area forever, and he still has good enough relationships with the local defenders that he can hire them no problem.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Along with the killings of Maggie and Paul Murdaugh and the shooting of Alex Murdaugh, the State Law Enforcement Division is also investigating the missing money, whether anyone tried to obstruct an investigation into a 2019 boat crash which Paul Murdaugh was eventually charged and a July 2015 hit-and-run death in Hampton County.

Look forward to the eventual Neflix dox

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The only real question is who will be played by Ben Stiller in the film version.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
drat as Im leaving for Croatia I receive notice that Jury Trials in my judicial district are cancelled until further notice. Gonna change my name to Marklo and become a charter fishing guide in the Adriatic

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
While judge giving reasons through an interpreter today, the prosecutor leaned over to me and asked "Did the judge impose no alcohol or drug conditions on bail?" Without missing a beat I lean back over to him and say, "I don't know. I wasn't listening. At all."

It is 509 on a Friday and I am still in court.

LAW SCHOOL DOESN'T PAY KIDS

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.
Coming to the realization that I think I really dislike the anxiety that comes with the "practice" of law and looking for a way out does not feel particularly good.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Exodus1984 posted:

Not at all. Just drink enough coffee/tea to stay alert, provide yourself with enough artificial stimulation to send yourself into an anxiety ridden spiral when anything out of the ordinary comes across your desk, and work yourself in to exhaustion 7 days a week. Healthy way to live.

Exodus1984 posted:

Coming to the realization that I think I really dislike the anxiety that comes with the "practice" of law and looking for a way out does not feel particularly good.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Another thread success story

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nichol posted:

While judge giving reasons through an interpreter today, the prosecutor leaned over to me and asked "Did the judge impose no alcohol or drug conditions on bail?" Without missing a beat I lean back over to him and say, "I don't know. I wasn't listening. At all."

It is 509 on a Friday and I am still in court.

LAW SCHOOL DOESN'T PAY KIDS

There are towns in Australia where court doesn't sit beyond midday on a Friday because everyone is at the pub.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

algebra testes posted:

There are towns in Australia where court doesn't sit beyond midday on a Friday because everyone is at the pub.

gently caress, this needs to happen in America again.
And I say again because I've heard of stories of the old days/

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

Life comes at you fast.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Exodus you can always go back to school and get a PhD in something else. The business academia world loves JDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I used to take business classes to bump up my GPA in school. God it seemed like they had so much relative fun there.