Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/friscojosh/status/1441779946892906506?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Should have been telling Russel Wilson to hand the ball to Lynch.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1441788695980347397?s=19

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Man I have no idea how that game is going to go. The Bengals defense should be good enough to limit the present-day Steelers offense. It definitely helps the Bengals having a couple of steelers pass rushers out but it's not like you need a high quality pass rusher to beat our line right now.

The Bengals love giving rookies career days so I bet you if the Steelers win it'll be because Najee went off.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Man I have no idea how that game is going to go. The Bengals defense should be good enough to limit the present-day Steelers offense. It definitely helps the Bengals having a couple of steelers pass rushers out but it's not like you need a high quality pass rusher to beat our line right now.

The Bengals love giving rookies career days so I bet you if the Steelers win it'll be because Najee went off.

I could see it like the Pitt/Buffalo opener. Just a real slog, decided by a gaff.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Pittsburgh's defense will be nowhere near as good as the opener against Buffalo. They've lost multiple starters, the offense will also likely be worse with Dionte Johnson out.

I anticipate multiple plays by Mike Hilton, because he's cool and good.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you look at dalvin cook and david montgomery's game logs in their first two games of the season, they both had over 6 ypc in their other game and 3.1 ypc against the bengals. but i think najee harris will have 7 or 8 ypc thanks to a 70 yard run you mother effer. i did not mean to cuss. just thinking about that run

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

if he worked out more this wouldn't happen

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's going to take a lot longer for me to believe in a Cincinnati defense again but I will say they have played significantly past my expectations for this year.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Bengals beat the Steelers last year, this team in its current state without Alualu, Watt, and Bud Dupree's replacement Alex Highsmith isn't any better. Chase Claypool hasn't done much yet this year, JuJu is probably their best offensive player just b/c he's consistent. The O-line is starting multiple rookies, they were built to be carried by the defense, Roethlisberger is already injured, and it's not looking great atm. Unless the Offense does something unexpected they won't score more than 14 points. That said Tomlin is a pretty good coach and I can see him pulling a win of their collective buttholes.

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 25, 2021

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Chiefs could have drafted Tee Higgins.

quote:

Edwards-Helaire has 30 touches this year (27 rushing attempts and three catches), and zero first downs. That’s an astonishingly bad statistic; no other running back in the NFL is close. It’s almost impossible to get the ball that much and never pick up a first down.

The advanced stats at FootballOutsiders.com rank Edwards-Helaire dead last among all running backs in the league, both in his total production and his per-play efficiency. The FootballOutsiders.com stats also rank the Chiefs first in the NFL in passing offense but 30th in rushing offense.

Never take a RB in the first round.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

kiimo posted:

Hell, they could've taken Taylor, Dobbins, or even Swift and it would've been better.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Bring back Priest Holmes

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

kiimo posted:

I don't necessarily agree with never take an RB in the first round but after this pick lots of people/pundits were like "how do you let the Chiefs pick another weapon of this caliber? CEH is gonna have 3000 yards from scrimmage" and lol

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I believed it during that first game in 2020 where Houston basically conceded the run in an effort to keep Mahomes from owning them deep

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

nah posted:

Bring back Priest Holmes

Jamal Charles is a better choice since he was actually good

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I think if you think a RB is going to produce at a high level it's fine to take him anywhere. It's not like other positions don't ever bust. And what if you have a guy like LaDanian Tomlinson or Marshall Faulk? Would they really not be a top 5 pick or top overall pick if you somehow knew?

But I do agree that if you have to neglect a position RB is the right one to do it to.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mystic Stylez posted:

I don't necessarily agree with never take an RB in the first round but after this pick lots of people/pundits were like "how do you let the Chiefs pick another weapon of this caliber? CEH is gonna have 3000 yards from scrimmage" and lol

I didn't buy into the super hype but I did get excited watching his college highlights. That...appears not to have translated to the NFL.

a neat cape posted:

Jamal Charles is a better choice since he was actually good

Priest was good despite your scorn, but yeah add an old Chiefs RB in his prime to this offense and it's Jamaal hands down. Although seeing how Andy Reid would use Okoye would be very funny.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Grittybeard posted:

Priest was good despite your scorn, but yeah add an old Chiefs RB in his prime to this offense and it's Jamaal hands down. Although seeing how Andy Reid would use Okoye would be very funny.

Adding peak Nigerian Nightmare to any team would be cool and good to see. :thurman:

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rssVFHtO8_Q

:hehe:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1441839825431171074

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
NFL ain't so easy.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I didn't buy into the super hype but I did get excited watching his college highlights. That...appears not to have translated to the NFL.

I will die on the Priest was Bad, Actually hill

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Brissett is next. He was already getting up slow last week. No one is surviving that poo poo every week.

Playing QB behind that OL is like some kind of punishment from Greek mythology.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh now you're bringing Greg Hill into this?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
End of the first round is fine for a RB because you have the 5 controlled years if he’s good. Just don’t pay him after.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ehud posted:

Brissett is next. He was already getting up slow last week. No one is surviving that poo poo every week.

Playing QB behind that OL is like some kind of punishment from Greek mythology.

First time?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

What if you draft a RB and he only gives you two super bowls then falls off immediately? Is that worth it?

:smug:

e: holy poo poo he was picked 196th, in the 6th round.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The other argument is that quality running backs can be found all throughout the draft and since the shelf like on RBs is so short why waste a high pick on one? Like sometimes you get Saquon but sometimes you get Fournette. And drafting Fournette over a potential franchise QB is unforgivable.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

kiimo posted:

The other argument is that quality running backs can be found all throughout the draft and since the shelf like on RBs is so short why waste a high pick on one? Like sometimes you get Saquon but sometimes you get Fournette. And drafting Fournette over a potential franchise QB is unforgivable.

This is literally every position

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It is incredibly not. Running backs are different this isn't news

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Even an amateur tuber would agree never go RB in the first

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

kiimo posted:

This post made me double take until I remembered I wasn't reading the fantasy football forum

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

kiimo posted:

yea i guess but if you already have a franchise QB, and can get a big boost from a great RB and he's there in the first, may as well go for it. anyone that can get you a few good years is worth it, especially if it's a guy that could be pro bowl talent for those years.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Remember when the Raiders drafted a kicker in the first round?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The actual story:

He already could be gambling and doing this anyway. The whole thing is Florio doing the Trump "people are talking about xyz".

Really, people in his position should not be allowed to gamble. It's like a member of congress investing in companies that have to do with upcoming legislation. Insider trading of a sort

I hope I'm not the only immature piece of garbage who always sees this injury and thinks 'gee, guess his dick and balls plumb gave out!'

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Remember when the Raiders drafted a kicker in the first round?

At least he turned out to be good, Roberto Aguayo though is probably my favorite draft pick ever

E: also The Athletic has a cool article discussing it and you should read if you can

https://theathletic.com/1743143/2020/04/17/raiders-draft-kicker-sebastian-janikowski-in-first-round-20-years-ago?source=user-shared-article

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 25, 2021

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Don't draft a RB in the first mostly means the top of the first, nobody really cares what you do at pick 25 or whatever.

That said, there's next to no workhorse backs in the league at all anymore, almost everyone platoons, and the history of 1st rounders kinda sucks!

'21 - 24 - Najee Harris - seems fine, and way too early, but definitely doesn't look to be solving the Steelers' offensive issues
'21 - 25 - Travis Etienne - injured
'20 - 32 - Clyde Edwards-Helaire - unimpressive
'19 - 24 - Josh Jacobs - fine, trailed off last year, injured this year.
'18 - 2 - Saquon Barkley - Hasn't done much but be injured since his rookie year.
'18 - 27 - Rashaad Penny - lmao
'18 - 31 - Sony Michel - A perfectly fine platoon back who... lol, oh right, first round pick.
'17 - 4 - Leonard Fournette - A perfectly fine platoon back who... oh my god he went 4th overall and shitheaded his way out of Jacksonville.
'17 - 8 - Christian McCaffrey - All pro in his 3rd year! injured his 4th, injured so far his 5th.
'16 - 4 - Ezekiel Elliott - The prototypical workhorse back who is... currently two games into averaging a middling 4 yards a carry and underperforming a random other back they got playing half the snaps he is.
'15 - 10 - Todd Gurley - 2 x All pro his 3rd and 4th years and.... he's gone.
'15 - 15 - Melvin Gordon - A half dozen years of solid production.

TFF required posting: You'd be much better off drafting an oline that any ol' shmuck can run for 4.5 YPC behind.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Or draft them in the first. Who cares. It’s them or another bust at OL or CB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

No no, 2nd round is where you draft the bust cornerbacks.

And I recommend drafting good offensive linemen, not bad ones.