Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favourite number
This poll is closed.
835 3 2.29%
2 14 10.69%
3,400,981 17 12.98%
11 19 14.50%
21 13 9.92%
7070 12 9.16%
58008 53 40.46%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Rinkles posted:

What do you mean by this? Granted I tend to be pretty oblivious to themes in media and I have a bad memory, because I remember 3 as being mostly just bad and excessive. 2 I'd call uneven, and disappointing after the original, but still a step (or more) above 3.

I'm almost certainly overthinking all this but watching that bad rave scene got me thinking "why is this so god drat long"

It's the last gasp of humanity, a quarter million people who know they're almost certainly going to die, dancing and loving and living their last night as hard as they can. Which is rad. At first. But as it starts to drag into minute 6 and 7 and 8 it loses that meaning entirely and i realize i'm looking at our two white cishet lead actors gently caress in extremely uncomfortable closeup for way too long and what we cut back to, almost as relief, is almost entirely queer and poc people having a good time.

objectively, that scene sucks every ounce of momentum out of the movie and grinds it to a halt, and I still feel justified hating it when it came out, but the allegories are really loud and interesting in retrospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium had 1 (one) free burn having had a rude comment posted about her joke previously. this is the law of the land.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

i'm trying to play new vegas again and the mouse sensitivity keeps jumping between v sluggish and incredibly touchy as it goes in between menu scenes and general gameplay. v annoying !!

have you tried agood game instead :D

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stux posted:

that's it, queuing a ban right now

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Stux posted:

oddium had 1 (one) free burn having had a rude comment posted about her joke previously. this is the law of the land.

The Code of Hammuroddium

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

im pure cute funny. but sometimes you develop a powerful new offense and must commit tsujigiri...........

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm almost certainly overthinking all this but watching that bad rave scene got me thinking "why is this so god drat long"

It's the last gasp of humanity, a quarter million people who know they're almost certainly going to die, dancing and loving and living their last night as hard as they can. Which is rad. At first. But as it starts to drag into minute 6 and 7 and 8 it loses that meaning entirely and i realize i'm looking at our two white cishet lead actors gently caress in extremely uncomfortable closeup for way too long and what we cut back to, almost as relief, is almost entirely queer and poc people having a good time.

objectively, that scene sucks every ounce of momentum out of the movie and grinds it to a halt, and I still feel justified hating it when it came out, but the allegories are really loud and interesting in retrospect.

Keanu... white...?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Matrix sequels had a lot of problems but I think the biggest was with the pacing. Reloaded is only a few minutes over the original but it feels like it's a whole hour longer. In the first film not a single shot or line of dialogue is wasted, it's incredible how efficiently the world and its characters are established while still retaining the large bombastic action scenes. Compare the way Morpheus explains what the Matrix is about, which ultimately amounts to a whole ton of exposition provided in a very entertaining way, to the Architect's scene at the end of Reloaded, which just duh-raaags. Same function, wildly different execution.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Keanu... white...?

Yes?

I always felt Keanu was horrible in the Matrix. I loved his comedic work, and he's grown into a decent action movie star but he sucked as Neo. Though I think he will make a good Old Neo so I'm looking forward to that.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Keanu will always be Jack-be-Nimble to me, forever

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Keanu has native Hawaiian ancestry and has been one of the most prominent faces of Asian-American representation in film since Bruce Lee

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Stux posted:

i decided to replay deltarune chapter 1 and 2 together tandem again

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Keanu is good in Matrix 1 but by Reloaded he's had most of his character arc by becoming The One so then he doesn't have a whole lot to do character-wise

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex403ii_Bhs

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The Matrix sequels had a lot of problems but I think the biggest was with the pacing. Reloaded is only a few minutes over the original but it feels like it's a whole hour longer. In the first film not a single shot or line of dialogue is wasted, it's incredible how efficiently the world and its characters are established while still retaining the large bombastic action scenes. Compare the way Morpheus explains what the Matrix is about, which ultimately amounts to a whole ton of exposition provided in a very entertaining way, to the Architect's scene at the end of Reloaded, which just duh-raaags. Same function, wildly different execution.

The sequels were also shot back-to-back, which... you might think means there'd be more footage to edit from and put together a solid narrative with good pacing, but it simply introduced more problems.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fan wikis didn't exist yet but they were already writing for them for Reloaded.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ErrEff posted:

The sequels were also shot back-to-back, which... you might think means there'd be more footage to edit from and put together a solid narrative with good pacing, but it simply introduced more problems.

Larger budgets + bigger egos + less editorial oversight + more self-indulgent wankery + epic Matrix heroes!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Stux posted:

by that rationale, i have like 30 free burns queued up

what i'm all about is

get this

check it

are you ready?

maybe we just be nice to each other

just once

as a treat

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

It's just an Orson wells thing verbatim

Simone Magus posted:

Is that the secret of chat popularity, just use other people's material

My Chie haiku got one whole quote

Sheesh

lovoe to be nice lol. dont dish it out if you cant take it. now stfu about it.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
those were two of the free burns i had queued up from times she had been a dick to me, yes

if you want to go digging through months old posts, i dare you to find ONE time that oddium has ever been NICE to me.

ONE

just ONE

that's kinda my point. you can't constantly antagonize and poke at me and then KEEP BEING SURPRISED when it flips my switch.

why not try being nice or just ignoring me

it's not rocket surgery

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hate to think how many free burns Relax must have on me

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i like your av

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

oddium is one of the genuinely nicest people in here and that was an incredibly harmless joke. please stop thinking everyone is out to get you because i promise you they aren't. farewell.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

those were two of the free burns i had queued up from times she had been a dick to me, yes

if you want to go digging through months old posts, i dare you to find ONE time that oddium has ever been NICE to me.

ONE

just ONE

that's kinda my point. you can't constantly antagonize and poke at me and then KEEP BEING SURPRISED when it flips my switch.

it's not rocket surgery

Shut The gently caress Up.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

okay, this is driving me sideways. there's like 7 Paneras in the area i'm in, outside st louis, but only one that actually has an open lobby area, so it's the one i always go to in the morning, and their radio is broken or whatever because

it plays the same exact songs every single day

one of them is "Sunset" by The XX, which is actually a great song so that's fine, but one of them, ONE OF THEM, is that ugh... Counting Crows? song that goes "put up a parking lot" as if pavement is really what we need to be worrying about, you dumb poser >:[

my wife is a panera manager and the in-store music is a predetermined playlist selected and piped in from corporate that they have no ability to change or manipulate. if you think it's bad now wait until they switch to the holiday playlist. saccharine secular winter-themed songs that will make you hate christmas by december 5th

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
WARIO LAND HAS MIMICS WHAT THE SODDING gently caress GET OFF OF ME

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Rarity posted:

Hate to think how many free burns Relax must have on me

unbeknownst to you my GG strive player message is an own on you so after so many matches you probably have free burns on me

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Simone Magus posted:

by that rationale, i have like 30 free burns queued up

what i'm all about is

get this

check it

are you ready?

maybe we just be nice to each other

just once

as a treat

I thought your post implied you didnt realise that counting crows song was a cover, which does warrant a burn, sorry

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

sam poggers bridges

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Relax Or DIE posted:

unbeknownst to you my GG strive player message is an own on you so after so many matches you probably have free burns on me

I mean, if it funny or clever then yeah but we both know that's not true

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
glad you're using your freebies :)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Weedle posted:

my wife is a panera manager and the in-store music is a predetermined playlist selected and piped in from corporate that they have no ability to change or manipulate. if you think it's bad now wait until they switch to the holiday playlist. saccharine secular winter-themed songs that will make you hate christmas by december 5th

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm so glad I don't work retail anymore and can look forward to my Christmas week off

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Simone Magus posted:

ONE

just ONE

it's not rocket surgery

is this a bit?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

if the christmas playlist involved looking at mariah carey it would change the calculus significantly

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Christmas music has shriveled my heart and turned me into a Scrooge permanently

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Sable, my dudes. What a loving chill, gorgeous game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ps6nV4wiCE

Looks like a lot of fun.