Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selane
May 19, 2006

I'm on board with this, which I think should be pretty obvious given my first post in this thread last September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Arist posted:

It's up, right click > "Copy Image Address" and go nuts

yo how the gently caress i get this

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Arist posted:

I shared this incredible piece of art with the burg thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3840913&pagenumber=64&perpage=40#post516542359

tuo fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 28, 2021

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Arist posted:

:hmmyes:

Concurred posted:

yo how the gently caress i get this

buy a new avatar and use [img] tags in your title text

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 28, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Don't copy the first one I posted, though. Use the second one. That's the one that's on SA's servers.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Got to 50% with Miura and Minami today. Hemborger encountered. So Miura is BJ, Tamao was not originally 426, and everyone may in fact be in some Homestuck level time bullshit where their future selves created themselves then sent themselves back in time.

I've been trying to think of decent predictions but at this point my mind is fried. I don't have any idea what's going to happen, I'm barely able to keep up with the story as it is.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Gyoru posted:

buy a new avatar and use [img] tags in your title text

lol, thanks, the one i currently have was given to me by a generous lord

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

"No! I must find the aliens!" Natsuno shouted.

The robot said "No, Natsuno. You are the aliens"

And then Natsuno was an alien.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Amiguchi segment: Is everyone being Truman Show'd? Is time travel not actually happening at all, each time period is just a different set? Universal Control is just the AI director of some very strange program meant to teach these clone kids about the lives of the original versions on their way to colonize another world? What's the point of the battles in this context?? What the gently caress is 426/Izumi trying to accomplish? God drat Ida is incredibly evil.

Iori segment: I pet the kitty :)

Watching the scenes between Amiguchi and Kurabe was really unsettling after I found out about Shiba being fake. Playing as Kurabe he felt a little weird, but watching him interact with everything like a weirdo, and knowing he attributed some of the things Amiguchi said to his imaginary friend, Kurabe continues to be a scary guy.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 29, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

sirtommygunn posted:

Iori segment: I pet the kitty :)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Awkward Zombie still good

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
For a game that's been pretty story focused, breezy and linear, I got weirdly stuck tonight in Iori's second story. A conversation about a cat, about boys, a cat appears, runs away, the conversations loop again, the cat appears... Don't know how to interact with it, seems like I should be doing something...
I got through it in the end, but that was an absolutely baffling section. Having a benign conversation happen in the background which at a specific point creates a small window of time that you can progress by talking to a person you were previously standing next to is really odd. And that window only opens in the second phase which can be interrupted by interacting with something that actually seems more important. And then making it happen twice! Because the first break from the loop throws you straight back into the exact same loop!

If this is some thematic foreshadowing it was a bit heavy handed. I'm glad they included a fast forward button.

Edit: did Tomi's second story after that and that was a major plot bombshell! I am strapped in and ready for this to take off.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 31, 2021

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Figuring out how to feed the drat cat to escape endless crepe hell is one of the only major pain points in terms of getting through Remembrance. That whole sequence is definitely a thematic reference to the butterfly effect; the sort of classic "how would my life be different if I had gotten vanilla instead of chocolate" scenario

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I figured that's what it was going for, but the other options feed you back into the loop so quickly it doesn't really land. There is no butterfly effect, just searching for a single inevitability.

Ahh maybe that is also a thematic reference? Goddammit.

Glad to hear it's pretty isolated though. Had to drag myself away from it tonight, 14 hours in and its picking up some serious steam.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The cat puzzle cements this game firmly in the category of "Adventure Game" rather than "Visual Novel" and is thus very important imo

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Nenji Ogata - C L E A R !
80's style Japanese Delinquents always end up being my favorite characters wherever they show up. I love these dumbass punks who are always really sweet boys underneath the attitude, and Ogata's no different. It's kind of funny that almost the entirety of his story takes place in his own head, trying to work out how he feels after he hosed up a conversation with Tomi. The plot important stuff is almost entirely separate from his talks with Kisaragi, to the point that I'm not sure you need to see how Ogata learns to be honest with her and treat her respectfully in order to progress.

It's clear from the start that he really cares about her, but he's too afraid to say it outright. He's not sure how it is between him and Kisaragi, and the tension is driving them both crazy. On the first loop, it seems like the blowup between the two was inevitable, with Ogata mostly just reacting to things that are happening to him. But once he takes the time to think through everything that happened, he realizes that he could avoid all those mistakes and just have a genuinely nice moment with her. Pay attention to what she's saying, don't be dismissive towards her even if something important comes up, take the time to explain yourself, don't get in a stupid and unnecessary fight. It doesn't seem like much of a stretch to say that his story is about learning to just not be an rear end in a top hat through honest self reflection.

Of course there's the greater plot events too. Juro Izumi somehow has agency even inside of a simulated memory, and he uses it to plead his case that, somehow, by murdering children and ushering in the apocalypse, he is actually trying to help everyone. It also lets Ogata know that Minami is the key holder, which I guess is why he was so eager about jumping to her defense early in her story (or, at least, it was an extra reason for why he jumped into the girls changing room). Apparently all of this happens really early in the timeline, so it's kind of weird he's so cool about everything in other people's stories. The kid is good at acting natural, I guess.

Tsukasa Okino is a zombie! And also incredibly stupid? Found this suspicious code, time to test it out on the nanomachines inside my brain! Really hope I get more context for that decision, because it's kind of a silly backstory for the extremely hosed up fact that Okino is effectively dead without anything in the world changing, even their own actions. Unable to think or feel, but still technically there, even the people closest to you unable to tell the difference.

Not sure if I'll do any overview like this of other character's stories, this one was plenty difficult enough to write on its own.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I loved reading it! Ogata is so precious, probably one of my absolute favorite characters.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I do look forward to how you react to the other characters.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Oh my goodness Iori's segments are such tedious poo poo. I can't believe after crepe hell there's more.

For a game where practically every scene and line of dialogue is carefully chosen to communicate something, this is just mind numbing. I don't know what I'm supposed to be getting out of these conversations.

I just got a hot dog and because the event viewer told me something was supposed to happen after the hot dog I got another one, and then after nothing again I got the other food item where the next scene just triggered anyway.
The final moments of her sections are so good too. My only takeaway from this is they couldn't figure out how to get those scenes into the game organically.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 7, 2021

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

cubicle gangster posted:

Oh my goodness Lori's segments are such tedious poo poo. I can't believe after crepe hell there's more.

For a game where practically every scene and line of dialogue is carefully chosen to communicate something, this is just mind numbing. I don't know what I'm supposed to be getting out of these conversations.

I just got a hot dog and because the event viewer told me something was supposed to happen after the hot dog I got another one, and then after nothing again I got the other food item where the next scene just triggered anyway.

:confused:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I just don't understand what this is adding to the story. It's about 10-15 minutes of mindless preamble before one of the other girls says 'oh remember this?' and you get some story.

Those sections contrast very sharply for me vs every other scene in the game so far.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

cubicle gangster posted:

I just don't understand what this is adding to the story

Miwako

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I only really got upset with the first of those Iori segments, because I couldn't figure out how to progress. I don't mind a little slice of life segment. Also I feel it's important to get some girl talk in when her story is all about falling in love with a bad boy who's too dangerous to get close to. Don't be fooled, the filler in her story is all the bullshit about the main plot. Miwako is very good and any scene with her is appreciated.

Sorry I haven't been posting my predictions/reactions in the thread lately. I've completed the second battle and done everyone's paths up to the point they were locked behind completing that battle.

Up to the Juro Kurabe event: So Izumi pretty much knows the whole story, and can contact people besides Juro (though maybe Yakushiji is the only one he can talk to before the others are shot with the nanomachine gun), makes me wonder why he's been so secretive with the rest of the cast up to this point.

I figured that the singer in Amiguchi's tv/up in space was an alternate Kisaragi considering all the hints about her singing, but it feels like that's less likely every time she pops up. Maybe she's the 2188 version of Tomi who had some surgery done or something.

Okino really loving set up a simulation that the existence of the human species rested upon and went "eh this kaiju game is close enough to what I need" and just copy/pasted the whole thing in. As a programmer I completely understand but also what the gently caress. I'm guessing the original intent of the simulation was to create human personalities that could manage initial development on the colony planet (transferring their consciousness into androids or vat grown clones upon arrival) if the people on board died before they could reach their destination.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I got this yesterday after seeing it mentioned around the internet the past year. The art style put me off a bit, and still does - everyone looks shrunken - but the backgrounds are all really nice and in motion it looks pretty good.

So far, I'm don't see what is special about it. I'm past all the prologue chapters and I've done a handful of the next chapters. The battles are okay, mostly as a way to break up the story segments. The spiderweb structure of the plot is cool enough to keep me engaged but the actual content of this is boilerplate anime, worst parts included. Everything I read was about how engaging/crazy the story is and I'm not seeing why, so I suppose it must get better further in.

If you're on the fence about this like I was wondering if this is just a VN full of the usual tropes, then I'd say that's exactly what it is but with stuff from other genres included on top.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol there isn’t anything I would call boilerplate but luck boilerplate is so vague you can call anything that

Now if you want today convoluted, that is a more fair statement it is that

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 25, 2021

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
a few examples of the stuff i mean by boilerplate:

- a bunch of teenagers involved in some elite special unit +involving robots
- every conversation between males/females involving red face 'i-it's not like that!' detours
- character archetypes i don't know the exact name of but have seen before. natsuno = the ditzy sporty girl with short hair, ogata = overcompensating delinquent, amiguchi = affable but overbearing rich kid who has orange hair, etc.
- a sassy talking cat, girl with bandages on head, obsession with a food item (yakisoba pan here), hypersexualised nurse, a girl falls over exposing her underwear and the guy gets a red face

just any of the hundred little things like this you see recycled throughout anime. a lot of it is too embedded to single out specifically, like smart characters saying things like 'you have quite the abrasive personality', all these little boilerplate mannerisms and scenes which individually, fine, but it's just one after another.

take a look at this from a distance and these are the things you would expect, but the reason i got this was people keep saying it's really good, best game you haven't played kind of thing, and so far it's just what it appeared to be. which is fine, I mean there are some cool things about it like I said but I don't know why this is the one being held up.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

All the dumb tropey poo poo you referenced is just in there because “anime”, and none of it has any relevance to the actual story, which owns.

I have no particular love for anime as a medium but I also bought the game because people raved about it and it proved to be a great recommendation.

Literally the first thing I thought when I started it and the opening played with the girl flashing her thigh while summoning a robot was “oh gently caress it’s going to be one of those games, I have been misled into buying some garbage anime fan service poo poo” and my opinion shifted wildly pretty loving fast.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

anime is cool

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

roomtone posted:

a few examples of the stuff i mean by boilerplate:

- a bunch of teenagers involved in some elite special unit +involving robots
- every conversation between males/females involving red face 'i-it's not like that!' detours
- character archetypes i don't know the exact name of but have seen before. natsuno = the ditzy sporty girl with short hair, ogata = overcompensating delinquent, amiguchi = affable but overbearing rich kid who has orange hair, etc.
- a sassy talking cat, girl with bandages on head, obsession with a food item (yakisoba pan here), hypersexualised nurse, a girl falls over exposing her underwear and the guy gets a red face

All those things own

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Anime is actually bad, but sometimes a thing that is good is also anime and you have to just live with it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
13 Sentinels owns because it is anime

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I feel like the characters seeming like a bunch of anime cliches and then steadily encountering more and more wild sci-fi as their trope-y nature turns out to also be because of sci-fi stuff is the entire point

Basically full game spoiler: considering they are biological clones patterned after the wish-fulfillment fantasies of a dysfunctional long-dead group of post-apocalyptic survivors, modified and affected by the tampering of everyone involved and dealing with the virtual robo-apocalypse on top of that, all in one of the most hard sci-fi games this side of a physics simulator

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Each character's story very deliberately presents a situation that appears to be a cliche of some sort, and each character intentionally appears to be a stereotypical protagonist of a plot format you're assumed to be familiar with.

All I can say is just keep going.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Xarbala posted:

Each character's story very deliberately presents a situation that appears to be a cliche of some sort, and each character intentionally appears to be a stereotypical protagonist of a plot format you're assumed to be familiar with.

All I can say is just keep going.
Yeah, basically this game combines every single sci-fi trope you've ever seen and keeps you guessing as they reveal "nope, that's not the truth yet!" again and again all the way until the ending.
I thought it was a great way to play with the player's expectations, especially if you've watched a ton of sci-fi.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
It's ok, someone decided to post endgame stuff in spoiler tags so that the guy who isn't totally sold yet can read it and decide it sounds too stupid and anime to play any more.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

eating only apples posted:

It's ok, someone decided to post endgame stuff in spoiler tags so that the guy who isn't totally sold yet can read it and decide it sounds too stupid and anime to play any more.

posting stuff in the games thread about the game, spoilering things that are spoilers, seems kinda like the intended use of said thread, friend

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

eating only apples posted:

You’re mad that someone used spoiler tags… for spoilers?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

it's about the journey to the center of the hemborger

it being lunch

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Eh, as part of a conversation where people are trying to explain to someone why they should carry on playing it it does seem kind of silly to jump in with that kind of information, even with the tags.

The people who agree with you already know what’s behind it so you’re not convincing anyone or bringing anything new to the table with it, and only risking spoiling the story for the one person who’s in the discussion to learn something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
In a near-dead thread when a newcomer is at the very beginning of the game, saying how they don't get it and don't love it, I just fail to see the point of posting stuff like "and the story (for those who've played it, heh) goes like this in the end:"