Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Slow News Day posted:

If you are fully vaccinated and otherwise at no risk, then by all means, resume your previous lifestyle, including brunch, gym, conferences, sports events, etc.

I know there are people who still advocate for not leaving one's house, but they are (fortunately) a very tiny minority.

lol everybody i know with relevant background on infectious disease avoids events with lots of people outdoors and anything indoors if at all possible

edit: tax

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

lol everybody i know with relevant background on infectious disease avoids events with lots of people outdoors and anything indoors if at all possible

It's because they have more than two neurons to rub together

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Extra tax for the new page:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

One of the people in my bi-weekly (indoor) rock climbing group is an RN and another is an epidemiologist who works at the state department of health.

That is to say, anecdotes don't mean poo poo.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Slow News Day posted:

One of the people in my bi-weekly (indoor) rock climbing group is an RN and another is an epidemiologist who works at the state department of health.

Anybody is capable of making poor decisions.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Slow News Day posted:

If you are fully vaccinated and otherwise at no risk, then by all means, resume your previous lifestyle, including brunch, gym, conferences, sports events, etc.

I know there are people who still advocate for not leaving one's house, but they are (fortunately) a very tiny minority.

Issuing public health advice based on individual risk-assessment during a pandemic with a highly infectious respiratory virus that is spreading among the vaccinated is a big reason why we’re at where we are today.

Gyms, conferences, brunch, and sporting events aren’t going anywhere and can be easily avoided. There is hope with nasal spray vaccines, Pfizer and Merck’s protease inhibitor etc. that things tomorrow will be better than they are today.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Slow News Day posted:

When I ended up in the ER this spring after I herniated a disc in my back, the nurse proudly told me she’s worked the entire pandemic without catching Covid or getting vaccinated.

That’s why I think we shouldn’t get vaccinated. She’s an authority, you see.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mischievous Mink posted:

Anybody is capable of making poor decisions.

This sounds quite patronizing. Are you suggesting you know better than them? Are you an expert?

Could it be that they are making decisions based on their own individual risk-assessment?

Gio posted:

When I ended up in the ER this spring after I herniated a disc in my back, the nurse proudly told me she’s worked the entire pandemic without catching Covid or getting vaccinated.

That’s why I think we shouldn’t get vaccinated. She’s an authority, you see.

The two people I mentioned are both vaccinated, actually, but nice try.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Slow News Day posted:

Yeah that's why they look at evidence instead of being idiots.

Also I bet your state has lovely covid guidelines so connect the dots there.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Slow News Day posted:

otherwise at no risk

This phrase is doing a lot of heavy lifting considering long covid develops in 10-20% of cases (including asymptomatic + vaccinated) and basically involves playing permanent disability russian roulette once for every major organ group in your body including brain, heart, lungs, kidneys, sense of smell, and sense of taste (just going off what peer-reviewed studies have indicated so far, and more likely pretty much every other commonly afflicted organ group). Everyone should be staying in their houses if they have the opportunity to do so.

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 25, 2021

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
“gonna carry some TNT into my gym, but don’t worry, I did a self assessment of the risk and I’m ok with getting blown up” -an idiot in this thread

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

nexous posted:

“gonna carry some TNT into my gym, but don’t worry, I did a self assessment of the risk and I’m ok with getting blown up” -an idiot in this thread

Got a police bomb expert in my Denny's suck-n-gently caress crew. He thinks it's fine.

Don't you trust him to not blow up a poor minority neighborhood in LA?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Slow News Day posted:

If these friends are pushing you to act like a loving moron, they either actually hate you or they're terrible at that they do.

Either way, stop being an idiot and encouraging other idiots to do dumb things that will make this pandemic worse in your area.

Slow News Day posted:

This sounds quite patronizing. Are you suggesting you know better than them? Are you an expert?

Could it be that they are making decisions based on their own individual risk-assessment?

The two people I mentioned are both vaccinated, actually, but nice try.

Would you rather we treat you in the manner you've earned? Of course it's patronizing; they're wrong, end of discussion. There's nothing you can say to make what they believe to be correct, and since you don't have the luxury of "not knowing any better" by being in this thread, you're an rear end in a top hat for parroting their bullshit.

If you were asking questions of the professionals here that'd be one thing, but you're not. You're starting from a conclusion and imagining your premises to be true to support it. The whole position is rotten from top to bottom, and was not arrived at by any thought or evidence.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 25, 2021

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Jaxyon posted:

Got a police bomb expert in my Denny's suck-n-gently caress crew. He thinks it's fine.

Don't you trust him to not blow up a poor minority neighborhood in LA?

they already did that once, so they’re immune now

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Rosalind was posting about long covid and a major study they were involved in way back at the beginning of the thread. I'd dig it up but I'm camping :v:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

Rosalind was posting about long covid and a major study they were involved in way back at the beginning of the thread. I'd dig it up but I'm camping :v:

As much as I've enjoyed your posts so far you should probably be focusing on enjoying what I can only assume is lovely weather

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The case rate in my state is already dropping, we are at 70% fully vaccinated and 80% with one dose, and in my area in particular the case rates are way, way down (delta has mainly been hitting the chud parts).

I dunno, I feel pretty ok about it. Last week when I went out for my first in person happy hour with a coworker since 2020 I felt ok with the risk.

It was my personal risk assessment and so far so good.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

The Atlanta Falcons strategy, I see

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I personally have zero problem avoiding indoor dining and don’t know why people find The Experience so compelling that it’s worth risking Covid for. It’s, like, the easiest most costless precaution I’ve taken.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Gio posted:

I personally have zero problem avoiding restaurants and bars and don’t know why people find The Experience so compelling that it’s worth risking Covid for. It’s, like, the easiest most costless precaution I’ve taken.

When I told a friend we stoppped going to restaurants he asked me if I was going full hermit forever.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Gio posted:

I personally have zero problem avoiding indoor dining and don’t know why people find The Experience so compelling that it’s worth risking Covid for. It’s, like, the easiest most costless precaution I’ve taken.

"Well, I'm vaccinated and won't die from it so gently caress you, my brunch is more important than the kids or immunocompromised I may help kill through continued transmission."

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Also, for the record…

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Gio posted:

Also, for the record…

When is this from?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Sax Mortar posted:

When is this from?

A little over a month ago.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/08/17/whats-safe-to-do-during-summers-covid-surge-stat-asked-public-health-experts-about-their-own-plans/

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Gio posted:

Also, for the record…

I am curious about the secret to masked eating.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

OddObserver posted:

donn and doff between bites, obv.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

OddObserver posted:

https://youtu.be/cKLaomvBUc0

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Also, it should be stated since a couple morons are using my phrase, people are absolute poo poo at “individual risk assessment.”

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaxyon posted:

even if you assume India is lying and triple it's numbers it's still below the US in per capita deaths

The excess mortality estimates for India - the middle of the range - is about 4.5m people, and the Indian HCPs I talk to daily in Hyderabad seem pretty convinced by those numbers. Which would put India at about 3,000 deaths per million. Assuming that the US excess mortality estimates are also broadly accurate, US and India are probably neck-and-neck in per capita deaths

Booourns posted:

I'd consider nearly 700k dead americans to be "wrong"
Like that number is still blowing my mind holy poo poo

hosed up that Brunch killed 700k people (also, per the above, the number is well over 1 million)

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 25, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gio posted:

Also, it should be stated since a couple morons are using my phrase, people are absolute poo poo at “individual risk assessment.”

Not you though, you're just smarter than everybody else. Also it's not your phrase. I haven't gone out to eat since late 2019 and have no plans to in the foreseeable future, I mask up when I do have to run errands and expose myself, and I'm vaccinated. Please tell me what part of my personal risk assessment wrt to covid is absolute poo poo.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
The part where you leave your bathtub full of hand sanitizer. That’s where I do all my posting

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

nexous posted:

The part where you leave your bathtub full of hand sanitizer. That’s where I do all my posting

We all just want to be pure

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

Not you though, you're just smarter than everybody else. Also it's not your phrase. I haven't gone out to eat since late 2019 and have no plans to in the foreseeable future, I mask up when I do have to run errands and expose myself, and I'm vaccinated. Please tell me what part of my personal risk assessment wrt to covid is absolute poo poo.

efb

In sincerity, the part where people say “happy hour at a bar is ok” during a raging pandemic.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

nexous posted:

I hate to nickpick, but a bathtub full of vodka doesn't qualify, the alcohol content is too low.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

OddObserver posted:

I hate to nickpick, but a bathtub full of vodka doesn't qualify, the alcohol content is too low.

Well anecdotally I haven’t got Covid, so you’re wrong

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Professor Beetus posted:

I don’t think he meant you personally and was discussing other posters. With cool heads I think we could agree that people’s individual risk assessments are not based on a rational assessment of all the known facts on the table, with extra room and caution for the known unknowns and the unknown unknowns.

Now, I don’t have something I will cite at this moment, but it is clear to me that relying on untrained (and politically polarized) individuals to assess their personal risk — which is not something that occurs in frictionless rational actors floating in a vacuum — has been a total disaster at every level in the United States. The average person simply isn’t equipped to understand their own risks, let alone the population level risks. Even people who know both categories of risks pretty well are susceptible to social pressures and fleeting desires.

Which is why trained experts are supposed to assess the available research, trends in data, and the international situation so they can communicate clearly what has to be done to people unfamiliar with living in pandemic conditions. Pandemics have happened before. I don’t think this society has invested in civil preparedness on a large scale since Cold War. There are failures stretching back decades that bring us to this moment, when I am still afraid to fly home because I don’t want my folks to die from something I pick up in a disease-ridden country.

I probably will go after I get a booster, because it’s not going to be safe for years and that is the most protected I will be for a while. That’s my personal risk assessment and I hate that I have to make it personally, because if there is anything I’m aware of it’s that there are a lot of things I’m totally unaware of.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit
For those who are vaccinated and continue to stay at home as much as possible, not see friends etc, at what point would you consider it safe to do those things again? Lower case numbers?

Personally I’m a “get vaccinated and do what you want” person but that’s probably a factor of my government telling me I can’t visit another vaccinated friend or else lll get a 1700 dollar fine. It’s pretty bullshit.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

I don’t think he meant you personally and was discussing other posters.
I was referring to people in general, on average, and your assessment neatly sums up my thoughts.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

nexous posted:

Well anecdotally I haven’t got Covid, so you’re wrong

Hey me too! We are going camping and we've stopped to eat luncj/dinner outdoors at a small town pizzeria. The beer is so good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

StrangeThing posted:

For those who are vaccinated and continue to stay at home as much as possible, not see friends etc, at what point would you consider it safe to do those things again? Lower case numbers?

Personally I’m a “get vaccinated and do what you want” person but that’s probably a factor of my government telling me I can’t visit another vaccinated friend or else lll get a 1700 dollar fine. It’s pretty bullshit.

Yeah, lower case numbers. I know enough people who've had long covid or nasty breakthroughs that I want to avoid infection period and we're like way higher than we ever were pre-delta here

My wife teaches and my friends are mostly wfh though so it's source control more than anything