Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

i started watching 00 gundam and my intial thoughts are the exia is a bad design

There's a lot of terrible posts in this thread but this might be the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
drat, a second warhead just hit the Birmingham

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Terminal autist posted:

I started watching the original Gundam and it holds up really well. I like the how the first 10 episodes put a little more focus on logistics and an emphasis that losing even a single ZAKU is really bad. When does all the new-type stuff pop up, I'll probabaly drop it then.

Not until the very end when Lalah dies.

The new type stuff is a huge reveal at the end of the series, the movies change it up and introduce it much earlier than it was originally in the show.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
My friend and I have very little experience with Gundam (both of us watched some of Wing when we were children and I watched 0080 War in the Pocket a couple of weeks ago) and I've also been looking for anime movies to watch together to kill time. Would it be appropriate to watch the compilation movies for the original series? Do they hold up as individual movies, or are they just a convenient abridgement of the show?

Also, are there any good Gundam manga for neophytes?

Feel free to post about good anime films in general.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Orb Crabmelt posted:

My friend and I have very little experience with Gundam (both of us watched some of Wing when we were children and I watched 0080 War in the Pocket a couple of weeks ago) and I've also been looking for anime movies to watch together to kill time. Would it be appropriate to watch the compilation movies for the original series? Do they hold up as individual movies, or are they just a convenient abridgement of the show?

I've never watched more than a couple episodes of the original series and loved the movie trilogy, so I think they stand up fine on their own.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Robotech is on Funimation. Its not Gundam, but I think it’s fun to watch. I was hoping they’d found a better print or something when they announced they were gonna get it, but the quality is kinda rough.

Hopefully they bring the actual Japanese shows it was cut together from over. Macross at least used to be on Amazon Prime video.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Gundam the Origin is an amazing retelling of the original series in manga form. It also got some OVAs that only part of it so the books are better imho.

Another good manga is The Gihren Zabi Assassination Plot, which is basically Operation: Valkyrie in Gundam.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Lostconfused posted:

Not until the very end when Lalah dies.

The new type stuff is a huge reveal at the end of the series, the movies change it up and introduce it much earlier than it was originally in the show.

Dropping Gundam so close to the end is also a really bad idea, because the Battle of A Baoa Qu is one of the most incredible sequences in the whole franchise. It's a ruthless white knuckle drag out fight, with the entire White Base crew doing the space combat equivalent of a knife fight.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What's the opinion on gundam thunderbolt?
The gundam is the villain right? And is it worth watching?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

It's worth watching. FREE JAZZ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

HootTheOwl posted:

The Gundam is depicted as more monstrous than usual, and you see a Gundam from the point of view of regular Zeon pilots. But it's not the villain, the whole thing is about how the people on both sides are trapped in the escalation of the war.

The first Thunderbolt OVA/Movie, December Sky, is definitely worth watching. It's a great standalone story because it's the prologue, it's the part that sets up the characters and their relationships. The second Thunderbolt OVA/movie, Bandit Flower, is just the first part of the main story. And there's no sign that they're gonna make more Thunderbolt anime any time soon.

So watch the first one, but only watch the second if you're willing to then jump into the manga to see what happens next. Which you should because the manga is fantastic

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

it’s mecha by a big stretch (more sentai I guess) but if you can swing a series Planet With is a wonderful inversion of expectations and a very digestible 12 episode story that got missed

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thunderbolt is so good it got me back into Gundam.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

wolfs posted:

it’s mecha by a big stretch (more sentai I guess) but if you can swing a series Planet With is a wonderful inversion of expectations and a very digestible 12 episode story that got missed

Planet With was great. I really want his other works to get anime adaptations. Sengoku Youko would be incredible. As would Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. Even Spirit Circle with how deranged and psychedelic it gets near the end. Dude is just a great writer with a very divergent approach to narratives

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I just realized that people have been getting mad at the wrong thing about the Netflix Cowboy Bebop. Yes, Faye's new outfit is kinda lame, but they're gonna make a much bigger, much more important, much more damaging change.

Spike won't smoke.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I’m watching Gunbuster because I thought Anno did the animation oversight; I didn’t know he wrote the screenplay, so it is not a fun Top Gun style romp like I expected and now I’m in a bummer mood.

Yeah Cowboy Bebop probably prolonged my smoking habit for a time in college. Is this the live action one you’re talking about?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TheMightyBoops posted:

I’m watching Gunbuster because I thought Anno did the animation oversight; I didn’t know he wrote the screenplay, so it is not a fun Top Gun style romp like I expected and now I’m in a bummer mood.

Oh man, you got to finish it. Don't do it in multiple sittings, get through to the end.

TheMightyBoops posted:

Yeah Cowboy Bebop probably prolonged my smoking habit for a time in college. Is this the live action one you’re talking about?

Yeah the new Netflix poster dropped and it's kinda lame, and I realized it's because they couldn't just replicate one of the posters for the anime that had Spike looking cool and relaxed because they all had him smoking.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
also john cho’s clear personal insecurities as an actor are definitely going to gently caress up the performance

more like john chokes

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ed is probably not going to be in the live action Bebop and that's terrible.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I feel like Ed is going to show up as a side-character with very little screen time in 1-2 episodes just to please fans. Could be worse, they could just call a random kid "Radical Edward" like whatever happened to Cass in the Birds of Prey movie.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Gripweed posted:

Oh man, you got to finish it. Don't do it in multiple sittings, get through to the end.

Holy poo poo that owned.

I hope Anno gives us at least one more thing that makes us all feel like poo poo and then ends in the most cathartic way possible.

edit: also lol at them running out of money for the last episode again.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knight posted:

I feel like Ed is going to show up as a side-character with very little screen time in 1-2 episodes just to please fans. Could be worse, they could just call a random kid "Radical Edward" like whatever happened to Cass in the Birds of Prey movie.

If we assume they're going to follow typical stupid cliches - Ed was the last member to join the crew so they'll probably end the season on a story arc involving Ed. Is what my guess would be.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Thunderbolt Gundam is like parasite in that some people are worse than others but they are all degraded by the system they exist within

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TheMightyBoops posted:

Holy poo poo that owned.

Right???

Everybody watch Gunbuster!

TheMightyBoops posted:

I hope Anno gives us at least one more thing that makes us all feel like poo poo and then ends in the most cathartic way possible.

Shin Kamen Rider might do that.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39wnKNDUNJA

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gripweed posted:

The Gundam is depicted as more monstrous than usual, and you see a Gundam from the point of view of regular Zeon pilots. But it's not the villain, the whole thing is about how the people on both sides are trapped in the escalation of the war.

The first Thunderbolt OVA/Movie, December Sky, is definitely worth watching. It's a great standalone story because it's the prologue, it's the part that sets up the characters and their relationships. The second Thunderbolt OVA/movie, Bandit Flower, is just the first part of the main story. And there's no sign that they're gonna make more Thunderbolt anime any time soon.

So watch the first one, but only watch the second if you're willing to then jump into the manga to see what happens next. Which you should because the manga is fantastic

So I can't find any movie past the first or any manga past chapter 62. But it's interesting.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

HootTheOwl posted:

So I can't find any movie past the first or any manga past chapter 62. But it's interesting.

If you're looking for legal sources, the second movie and the manga, the most recent Western release of which is Volume 16 which goes to Chapter 140 are available on Amazon

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

I haven't watched it, but I think the movie is just a slimmed down version of the first four episodes of the series. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

genericnick posted:

I haven't watched it, but I think the movie is just a slimmed down version of the first four episodes of the series. Correct me if I'm wrong.

They did a four episode OVA series, which they then combined into a movie with a little extra footage. That's December Sky. Later they did another four episode OVA series, which they then again combined into a movie, and that's Bandit Flower. I don't think Bandit Flower has any extra footage that wasn't in the second OVA series but I might be wrong. Either way, there's no real reason to watch the OVAs instead of the movies.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Gripweed posted:

They did a four episode OVA series, which they then combined into a movie with a little extra footage. That's December Sky. Later they did another four episode OVA series, which they then again combined into a movie, and that's Bandit Flower. I don't think Bandit Flower has any extra footage that wasn't in the second OVA series but I might be wrong. Either way, there's no real reason to watch the OVAs instead of the movies.

Ah, so it got expanded, not contracted. Thanks.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Speaking of netflix bebop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq2N-9EmedA

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Yeah idk how I feel about that. Sort of looked like a fan film.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Ok, I can get why Vicious and Julia might be in the opening credits. I do not like how they added Asimov & Katerina, Dr Londes, Mad Pierrot ,Teddy Bomber, etc and it makes it feel like an embarrassing cosplay reel.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

LoL John cho looks so loving haggard

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

casting a guy in his mid-fifties with anxiety issues to play an ultra-chill young martial arts master is certainly a choice

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Lol Spike is now older than Jet and really looks it, too

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Just replace Spike's smokes with legit weed to solve the problem

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

definitely looks like a fan film or a cosplay thing that they would play at a convention or something, but worse cause there's no Ed.

why would they just throw out a major character. they apparently brought every single other character back. I guess they might bring ed in for the second season or whatever but I really doubt this live-action thing is gonna get any love from the fans

Casey Finnigan has issued a correction as of 20:28 on Sep 25, 2021

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I just had a premonition that Netflix will get the rights to something Gainax related and it will suck rear end. Probably Fl-Cl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Bro Dad posted:

casting a guy in his mid-fifties with anxiety issues to play an ultra-chill young martial arts master is certainly a choice

if you’re gonna stick with casting a Korean-American to play a Jewish-(Chinese?) guy they could have gotten the actually cool Daniel Dae Kim