Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
My much less dramatic version of this:
I was driving down an alley and a guy pulled out of his garage in front of me with his briefcase on top of his trunk. I started honking and pointing, and he kept driving. I kept honking. He stopped, got out, and yelled "What?!? I'm going!!", just as pissed off as could be. I pointed again at his briefcase, he saw it, had this full body look of realization and embarassment, and then made a really extravagant bow/almost curtsy gesture and got back in his car with the briefcase.

Suit and tie guy with really exaggerated body language, I'll always remember you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I am fairly sure this is how princess diana was killed

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/ybW1Y27.mp4

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Wistful of Dollars posted:

what a mate.

I didn't check if there was sound to the clip. Was there sound because this just feels massively Australian.

There is sound and it is Australian - https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/motoring/motorbike-riders-ipad-rescue-on-sydneys-m5-motorway-c-659662

The article describes it as an ipad but it appears to be a Motion Computing F5 series ruggedized tablet PC

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/KnYPIUo.mp4

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Cat rules. Dude rules. Wanna pet that cat belly. Forbidden softness.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

that brick was laid by the czar of russia so woe betide anyone who moves it

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

nomad2020 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5kmNDDM1Ls

The only downside I see is that they will all be stolen and thrown in recreational fires.

i demand nba players dressed up as firefighters hitting mad hoops in firey apartment windows

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Jel Shaker posted:

it's gonna start another war like that belgian farmer who moved a border marker with france

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Has sound:
https://i.imgur.com/8vdvJUx.mp4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jel Shaker posted:

No one knows who placed the brick but removing it will reignite a three century old religious conflict

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qzjmeajdj91r0uzl6.mp4

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

TjyvTompa posted:

This video is just full of cool details. I especially like how the first guy makes sure the workpiece is centered by whacking at it with a hammer. The second guy seems to have some kind of home-made tool to make sure it's centered instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-inYCr-fV3Q

Really cool video. Seems to me like each guy is using only the precision required in each step going from cast to machined. Like at first a whack or two will do, or a MacGyver Sterrit gauge, and in later steps the micrometers come out. Nb most my lathe knowledge comes from watching Abom79, as one should.

Also with that many logs it really should have been stable, one might have thought.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Platystemon posted:

The Victorians had these.

Theirs were filled with carbon tetrachloride, which degrades to phosgene in the presence of heat. Not great around fires.
In contrast, the new ones are not only nontoxic, the powder is all food grade.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It is horrifying that their labor costs are low enough to make volume production on that equipment economically viable

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm curious what sort of engine they're building those crankshafts for. Obviously it's an inline triple, but it seems too large for a car engine in that part of the world. Small tractor? Stationary agricultural motor?

E: I went and read the comments and apparently it's for some sort of stationary generator motor, yeah. Also there's a super smug guy saying "I worked at Ford on the crankshaft production line for 20 years and we did a much better job than this, this is like American car companies in the 1930s" no poo poo huh :dumbbravo:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 25, 2021

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

TjyvTompa posted:

This video is just full of cool details. I especially like how the first guy makes sure the workpiece is centered by whacking at it with a hammer. The second guy seems to have some kind of home-made tool to make sure it's centered instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-inYCr-fV3Q

what's the machine at 29:00ish, some kind of ball mill? what job is it doing?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Superterranean posted:

what's the machine at 29:00ish, some kind of ball mill? what job is it doing?

sandblast cabinet but with bigger media basically, deburring and depending how dense the media is maybe provide some peen hardening of the surface

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I assume you mean 26 minutes, because at 29 they are cutting a keyway. At 26 minutes in it looks like they are shot peening the crankshafts. That process knocks off all the cast rough edges like sandblasting, and also hardens the the surface of the metal through work hardening.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
https://twitter.com/lookabee83/status/1441418388996177922

Sadly, if the wisdom of the thread holds true, things don't look too good for this chap...

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Haha I thought they were depositing coating material and was having a hell of a time figuring out why they would be grinding it off the bearings in the next steps.

What's that cabinet made of anyway? Something that can withstand what's tough enough to blast steel off of steel?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

sandblast cabinet but with bigger media basically, deburring and depending how dense the media is maybe provide some peen hardening of the surface

I typically use other methods for peen hardening, but "different strokes for different folks", as they say.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Platystemon posted:

The Victorians had these.

Theirs were filled with carbon tetrachloride, which degrades to phosgene in the presence of heat. Not great around fires.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

shame on an IGA posted:

It is horrifying that their labor costs are low enough to make volume production on that equipment economically viable

They're also obviously paid by the piece, just look at the young guy who is putting a bolt hole circle on the flange.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I agree with your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

My family had two of these from the long long ago. We finally ended up donating them to a small local fire dept museum. Still fun to go look at from time to time.

I cant find w pic that really looks the same, but the two we had were in these little frames that would activate a little spring hammer to break the glass automatically, and could be hung above a boiler or something.

SpaceCadetBob fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 25, 2021

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I also appreciate how they kept putting fingers/gloves/equipment near/in heavy spinning equipment.

It's a miracle what throughput can be achieved if you view people as disposable!

Some segments were sped up though, so it may have been less dangerous than it looked.

Not a fan of all those flywheels and belts in the walkways though. Also step 3 was unfortunately precisely what I thought it would be.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 25, 2021

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Karate Bastard posted:

I also appreciate how they kept putting fingers/gloves/equipment near/in heavy spinning equipment.

It's a miracle what throughput can be achieved if you view people as disposable!

do you live in a building more than 50 years old? someone probably died making it

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nope! No ghosts up in here.

My phone and computers are haunted as hell though.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Karate Bastard posted:

Haha I thought they were depositing coating material and was having a hell of a time figuring out why they would be grinding it off the bearings in the next steps.

What's that cabinet made of anyway? Something that can withstand what's tough enough to blast steel off of steel?

Probably just thin sheet steel, so long as the walls have a bit of bounce in them they'll just absorb shot impacts without denting or spalling.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Is that illustration how the girls in the shining died?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1434892896529002496

Back in t'day...

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Fred Dibnah was a legend

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Anyone got English American subtitles for this?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

why didn't they use explosives?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

OgNar posted:

Anyone got English American subtitles for this?

He climb ladder towards problem. He hit problem with Hammer. Problem fixed. He go down ladder.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

old bean factory posted:

He climb ladder towards problem. He hit problem with Hammer. Problem fixed. He go down ladder.

problem solved six years later

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

why didn't they use explosives?

Too much stuff nearby. He says it in the video, but you need to be able to understand him.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cat Hatter posted:

Too much stuff nearby. He says it in the video, but you need to be able to understand him.

they blow poo poo up all the time in the US. Controlled explosion isn't just an expression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That video is even more terrifying if you've seen the other part of it where he is assembling the ladder. He hammers a wedge into a hole in the bricks, and then ties a rung of the ladder to the wedge, and he does that all the way to the top of the chimney. You can see them at various points when he's climbing. In this video, he's climbing and it looks like he's pulling out on the ladder, which makes me afraid he's going to pull the wedges out. Then he gets to the top and has to climb over those planks at the top. :psyduck: