Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Noone said they were glad but at the same time everyone is glad to humiliate people they mildly disagree with at all times. Pearls. Clutched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

This is bullshit anyway, we didn’t actively organise the David Evans thing.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Michael Rosen is one of the very best people and I'm so glad he survived his bout of Covid.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Hm. Will HGV drivers need to get passports to submit to get these temporary visas when they don't currently need them within the EU (or to enter UK before 1st October)?

https://twitter.com/ggbenedetto/status/1441503941695508484

I think that's a complete red herring either way, the paperwork on those visas takes a good while. It's not really something you do at the border.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Private Speech posted:

I think that's a complete red herring either way, the paperwork on those visas takes a good while. It's not really something you do at the border.

You can get emergency passports, my dad and brother had to get ones to goto the US when my uncle had a stroke.
So poo poo can get fast tracked if they want to do so.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

happyhippy posted:

You can get emergency passports, my dad and brother had to get ones to goto the US when my uncle had a stroke.
So poo poo can get fast tracked if they want to do so.

no-one is going to go through all that poo poo just so they can deliver a truckload of lovely lager to Southend though

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
wouldn't most HGV drivers have passports anyway? they're not Americans

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's not really a red herring, it's just another factor. There is no glut of truck drivers and trucks across the entire continent, and truck drivers are inherently a bit more mobile than others. That means any country that puts up barriers to entry, no matter how small, immediately experiences a disproportionate amount of disruption as trucking companies can pick and choose.

If you are a trucking company and you have to expect delays on entry and exit in one country, but you can access an entire market without delays, you are going to prefer the large market. Because unless you are getting paid extra to cross that border, you have the prospect of your trucks being stuck and not making money.

The UK seems to be stuck in a loop of putting measures on itself that reduce its attractiveness as a destination for freight, having problems crop up because it is being deprioritised, then putting up even more barriers. Rinse, repeat.

Failed Imagineer posted:

wouldn't most HGV drivers have passports anyway? they're not Americans

You don't need one if you don't leave Schengen, as your national ID is sufficient.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I'm getting a bigger trailer

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Antigravitas posted:

The UK seems to be stuck in a loop of putting measures on itself that reduce its attractiveness as a destination for freight, having problems crop up because it is being deprioritised, then putting up even more barriers. Rinse, repeat.

For Allah made the English mad, the maddest of all mankind.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Protip: If you soak your hoarded toilet paper from last year with petrol, you can hoard more petrol.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Antigravitas posted:

You don't need one if you don't leave Schengen, as your national ID is sufficient.

Yeah, but I was just kinda assuming that most Europeans had passports, which turns out may be a wild assumption on my part., Hard to google up reliable figures, but it seems like nowadays more Yanks than Germans might have passports? Schengen notwithstanding I'm still very surprised, since something like 75% of the UK has a passport (and for Ireland something like 130% of the resident population have Irish passports)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

What does a country do when it becomes irrelevant to twenty seven or more of it's neighbours?

Stay tuned to find out!!! :byodood:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

happyhippy posted:

Protip: If you soak your hoarded toilet paper from last year with petrol, you can hoard more petrol.

too busy fermenting that into booze

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah, but I was just kinda assuming that most Europeans had passports, which turns out may be a wild assumption on my part., Hard to google up reliable figures, but it seems like nowadays more Yanks than Germans might have passports? Schengen notwithstanding I'm still very surprised, since something like 75% of the UK has a passport (and for Ireland something like 130% of the resident population have Irish passports)

I think a lot of Europeans can get round on a national ID card rather than a passport.

Interesting article (IMHO)

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-citizens-obliged-to-present-passports-instead-of-id-cards-when-entering-uk-starting-from-october-1/

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Failed Imagineer posted:

Don't quite a few European countries have an ID card, whereas more Brits might need a passport as their ID?

Edit: beaten.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
yes to all, I know Schengen is a thing, just surprised that Euros weren't bothered getting passports. Very Paedoph Isles-centric thinking

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

looks like you... failed to imagine what the europeans would do

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Monday 4th October 630pm live stream:

https://twitter.com/garyyounge/status/1441722198570323980?s=20

ed2: back to before the second LOTO contest that Corbyn won and before GE2017: Gary Younge article

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/13/corbyn-critics-destroying-labour-party-members?__twitter_impression=true

ed: ^^^ you can even use your national ID card from some European countries (National Identity Card issued by Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, or Portugal) to travel to some non European countries eg Egypt.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 25, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

looks like you... failed to imagine what the europeans would do

:negative: I knew this name would come back to haunt me some day, but not like this... not like this...

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Failed Imagineer posted:

:negative: I knew this name would come back to haunt me some day, but not like this... not like this...

Hey old man
It's ok
Every dog has his day

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

who is the dog?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

who is the dog?

Rosie

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 25, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

flick the duvet lol

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Failed Imagineer posted:

you don't even need a passport to go to many popular non-EU holiday/work locations (e.g., Turkey).

If I was the UK, I'd quickly implement a similar scheme as Turkey does. Nobody likes to spent the lengthy process of applying for and then schlepping around a huge-rear end passport just for vacation or business trips.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

One time my dog was really annoying me somehow, I forget what she was doing, and I took a breath to go "MILLIE NO" and then when I looked over she was making that exact face, head down on the duvet, tail wagging. Ruined my bad mood it did.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

thx for the dogs dudes

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Rosie is no longer bébé, she is still very fetching

but sadly has developed a drinking problem

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 25, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Not compliant enough to get them matched up but still, an attempt was made.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

learnincurve posted:

Not compliant enough to get them matched up but still, an attempt was made.

Lookit that fringe!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Haramstufe Rot posted:

you don't even need a passport to go to many popular non-EU holiday/work locations (e.g., Turkey).

If I was the UK, I'd quickly implement a similar scheme as Turkey does. Nobody likes to spent the lengthy process of applying for and then schlepping around a huge-rear end passport just for vacation or business trips.

how big are your passports???

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

mediaphage posted:

how big are your passports???

passports are the big black boxes that tourists are carrying behind them at the airport no?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
some cute doggus

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Do people not know we refused to sign the Schengen Agreement in the 1980s and people on mainland Europe have the right to travel anywhere without passports or ID?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

Because the Tories are arseholes

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
You still need ID within Schengen, and countries can check ID on entry. Those are typically spot checks but during some phases of the pandemic certain countries introduced temporary checks on all incoming traffic.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It'd be kind of funny if, after the government u-turns and goes "Okay, we'll grudgingly issue a few thousand VERY short-term visas for foreign truck drivers and poultry-killers to work here to save Christmas, and then they can gently caress off the moment they're done", nobody took up the offer on the grounds that they'd rather not come to Racist/Terf/Paedo/Plague Island and be treated like crap for sub-minimum wages. Well, maybe not funny, just grimly ironic.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i recall the texas power outage hosed up their meat production so badly because all the mutant cows grew slightly too large for the industrial slaughter machines

basically we’re going to have 6ft turkeys roaming the countryside

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jel Shaker posted:

i recall the texas power outage hosed up their meat production so badly because all the mutant cows grew slightly too large for the industrial slaughter machines

basically we’re going to have 6ft turkeys roaming the countryside

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Antigravitas posted:

You still need ID within Schengen, and countries can check ID on entry. Those are typically spot checks but during some phases of the pandemic certain countries introduced temporary checks on all incoming traffic.

Yeh but lorry drivers have that with their licences so they have happily flit across borders, as apposed to being walled up in Kent for so long the coronavirus mutates amongst them and potentially doubles the world’s death toll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

Do people not know we refused to sign the Schengen Agreement in the 1980s and people on mainland Europe have the right to travel anywhere without passports or ID?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

Because the Tories are arseholes

This was also why our freedom of movement was a lot free-er than the EU's actual rules on Freedom of Movement - by the rules, you don't have a right to remain if you're looking for a job, and host nations can require migrant workers to register with authorities etc. and don't have a right to claim benefits until they've been in their new country for three months.

The UK's refusal to be part of Schengen and any accompanying ID scheme meant we had a relative free-for-all because we had no effective way of tracking who was here from the EU, what they were doing and how long they'd been here.

To be clear, I generally think that that's a good thing, and I certainly wouldn't have trusted Major's Conservatives or New Labour with a forriner-tracking ID scheme. But so many of the things they would later rail against in the Brexit arguments were caused directly by their own decisions driven by their own refusal to even consider engaging with the EU and its processes.