Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

If you're curious about a lot of stuff (90 days delayed from release day), maybe try a month of Marvel Unlimited and see what you like with out having to go off recommendations. It's got most everything non-Conan from the past few years. You can also search it by creators you know you already like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.avclub.com/marvel-is-suing-the-families-of-spider-man-iron-man-cr-1847743932

So is this possibly why Pete is taking a break for a while?

Much like when the FF were written off.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, those poor souls. i do not envy anyone who goes to court against disney. over copyright law, no less!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh, those poor souls. i do not envy anyone who goes to court against disney. over copyright law, no less!

The thing is that it's actually the best area to do so, because Disney has been fighting for years to make the law in favor of the dude 100 years ago that made something. Because, of course, they are the dude 100 years ago that made the something. In this situation though, it's someone else that is the dude fighting someone trying to take their poo poo and they have decades of Disney's legal precedent's to base their position on.

They are still probably going to lose or settle, but it's also probably the best shot someone can take at Disney.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
saw a dude on Twitter pointing out that the families of Seigel and Schuster tried the same thing against DC re: Superman, and lost... and the lawyer that represented Seigel and Schuster is the same lawyer currently representing the estates in this suit... and that the same lawyer who represented DC is representing Marvel

so if all that is accurate, I wouldn't hold out a ton of hope for the Ditko estate but hopefully they can at least get Disney to throw a bunch of money at them to go away

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Jiro posted:

https://www.avclub.com/marvel-is-suing-the-families-of-spider-man-iron-man-cr-1847743932

So is this possibly why Pete is taking a break for a while?

Much like when the FF were written off.
The FF situation does not seem similar to this at all, but even the idea of "Pete taking a break for awhile" means that Ben Reilly is Spider-Man but Peter Parker is mentioned by name in like literally every solicitation of those Spider-Man Beyond comics, also Peter Parker is appearing as Spider-Man over the next three months in Amazing Fantasy, Symbiote Spider-Man, Dark Ages, Savage Avengers, Tech-On Avengers, Darkhold, Avengers Forever, and about a dozen collected editions. Which isn't even getting into the comics Ben Reilly and/or Miles Morales will be appearing on as "Spider-Man", which would be part of any litigation with the Ditko estate.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mulva posted:

The thing is that it's actually the best area to do so, because Disney has been fighting for years to make the law in favor of the dude 100 years ago that made something. Because, of course, they are the dude 100 years ago that made the something. In this situation though, it's someone else that is the dude fighting someone trying to take their poo poo and they have decades of Disney's legal precedent's to base their position on.

They are still probably going to lose or settle, but it's also probably the best shot someone can take at Disney.

I wonder how much, if anything, Ditko's own words about not caring about getting any money will come into play.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

There's no way that the Ditko estate thinks they can actually pull this off. They probably just want that out of court "go away" Disney cash settlement like Kirby's estate got. I mean, they timed this just before the release of a Spider-Man movie and a Dr Strange movie.

But seriously, Ditko was an obnoxious libertarian and his ghost probably understands that Marvel owns those characters because the deal was "We will give you money to create characters and comics that we will own forever" means just that. What kind of Randroid doesn't respect the work-for-money deal?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Happy Hippo posted:

But seriously, Ditko was an obnoxious libertarian and his ghost probably understands that Marvel owns those characters because the deal was "We will give you money to create characters and comics that we will own forever" means just that. What kind of Randroid doesn't respect the work-for-money deal?

Oh, absolutely. Ditko's "estate" (who basically inherited his stuff by default because Ditko didn't have a will) are absolutely going against everything Ditko believed in and are just obnoxious rent-seekers. It's remarkable how poo poo Disney is that the estate are the good guys in this story.

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 26, 2021

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

There is no story in which the mega corporation is the good guy

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
There are stories where two bad guys of varying degrees of severity fight

If I was the judge, I'd declare in favor of Ditko's relatives, but give all the money to Gruenwald's daughter instead

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"Rooting for" one side or another in this is pointless because there's only two ways this all ends - Disney's countersuits work and nothing changes, or Disney pays the families a settlement much less than what they are asking for in the suits and nothing changes.

Like they're being represented by the firm that tried already this on DC for Superman rights and lost. C'mon.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Ah whoops, that's not what I meant to say.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I actually really like the Bounty Hunters book. Bringing back Valance from the 70s comics is a fun idea, and he has been pretty well written mostly. The run also has tons of other cool bounty hunters, especially a killer issue story about Bossk.

Definitely the best one other than Vader.

i can't believe they're replacing shadows of the empire with this war of the bounty hunters but not bringing back my man dash rendar

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I would disagree with this. It's just that these stories are propaganda, or just generally suck. For example, I would consider the American military complex a mega corporation and there are plenty of stories cheerleading for them.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Being presented as the hero is not the same as actually being the hero.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Good lord, the ending to the “Kindred Saga” in ASM is a complete mess. Almost perversely pointless.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

nemesis_hub posted:

Good lord, the ending to the “Kindred Saga” in ASM is a complete mess. Almost perversely pointless.

Ben Reilly being the light at the end of the tunnel is all you need to know about the Spencer run.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Ben Reilly being the light at the end of the tunnel is all you need to know about the Spencer run.

Should be Kaine

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
E: wrong thread.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bobkatt013 posted:

Should be Kaine

A funny way to spell Silk.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

A funny way to spell Silk.

An "Every Spider Minus Peter" book

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

An "Every Spider Minus Peter" book

Detective comics was the Batman version of that for a while and was really good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

This is fairly niche, but seeing @KenTremendous referenced in this week's Miles Morales: Spider-Man was a happy surprise.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

nemesis_hub posted:

undoing OMD without actually undoing it is kind of cowardly

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

nemesis_hub posted:

The book has gone through so many contortions, every one of them so poorly conveyed, that recent issues are nearly illegible. I don't even mean in the "I dislike this turn of events" sense, I mean it's genuinely extremely hard to follow beat to beat where the characters are, what they're doing, or why. Harry Osborn is in secret prison, and dead, and a computer, but not really dead, and everyone has false memories and keeps teleporting to a Hell Mansion and the Chameleon etc. etc.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's wild because the idea of six Sinister Sixes was neat and even other people who are not big on this run have acknowledged that yeah, that's a fun gimmick. But then he does nothing with it! They're all dispatched in a big confusing poorly choreographed fight while we get interminable exposition about Harry Osborn, a character with absolutely no personality to speak of over the course of 56 years of existence. Who was clamoring for this?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean that’s Spencer’s writing style. He loves weird mysteries with a ton of reveals that get convoluted as they begin to stack up

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Harry is weird as he was one of the characters brought back with OMD….but then no one has any idea what to do with him.

Though that’s a problem with Peters personal life in general. It’s been in a rut since OMD and no one has any idea what to do with it

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

American Son was peak Harry Osborn.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also I’m going to guess they are gonna have Pete retire from being Spider man but replacing him with Peter bit kind of a jerk isn’t terribly interesting

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean that’s Spencer’s writing style. He loves weird mysteries with a ton of reveals that get convoluted as they begin to stack up

that's definitely true, though I also wonder if there was editorial interference with the Kindred storyline that led him to end his run early and depart to Substack

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah, I was getting massive Ultimate X-Men flashbacks reading that description.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I thought OMD aftermath was interesting at first when they had Peter dating a brand new love interest and he had magic protecting his secret identity so he could behave a bit fast and looser than normal socially. But they undid the magic quickly and it always feels like they go back and forth on what they want Peter's dating life to be and when you have that many wishy washy stories in such a short period of time it is really hard to dig out of. This sounds like I'm defending Kindred Saga and I'm loving not, I don't normally hate read things but that is about as close to it as I do when every new issue shows up. But I think the Spider-Man problems are bigger than it. I guess getting rid of Peter for two years or whatever gives them a chance to reset . . . but will they? Probably not.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
there is absolutely no way peter's not going to be Spider-Man for two years

hell he's not even leaving the book the upcoming solicits involve him and MJ solving a mystery at the hospital he's being kept in

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Barry Convex posted:

that's definitely true, though I also wonder if there was editorial interference with the Kindred storyline that led him to end his run early and depart to Substack

I mean the only thing I can think of was them undoing OMD and they changed their minds? But that would have been an epilogue only change and the story we got undoes it kind of anyway

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

hell he's not even leaving the book the upcoming solicits involve him and MJ solving a mystery at the hospital he's being kept in

Yes but there is another one that teases the biggest thing to happen to spider in decades.

Which could be bullshit but you never know

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

I was too generous in thinking they could hold off for more than six months but drat they can’t even do that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’m honestly more interested in why they are obsessed with Spider man every week. Sure he’s a big seller but they haven’t done it since brand new day so why now and with Riley instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the only thing I can think of was them undoing OMD and they changed their minds? But that would have been an epilogue only change and the story we got undoes it kind of anyway

Yeah, I could see that, whether between Spencer going off to do Substack, or them deciding to hold off undoing OMD proper until ASM#900, the 60th Anniversary, or both.

Honestly, it definitely feels like while Harry and/or Sins Past have been laid to rest, there's way too much left open that it's not getting revisited soon (if not by Spencer. You don't drop a friggin' Mayday Parker panel into a book and get to walk away, Marvel! Us Spider-Girl fans demand more. There are dozens of us! DOZENS! :arghfist::spidey:

Edit: now I think about it, given Ewing dropped GOTG so quickly, maybe it's because he got given a more high profile book and head to clear his schedule.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m honestly more interested in why they are obsessed with Spider man every week. Sure he’s a big seller but they haven’t done it since brand new day so why now and with Riley instead?

If they want to get to ASM #900 next year for his 60th, they're going to need to get 'em out the door. Maybe Beyond's a quick proof of concept before they roll out ASM for the anniversary.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 29, 2021