Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

omg! fm8 is imredible

tired: fm8

wired: https://www.plogue.com/products/chipsynth-ops7.html

Trig Discipline posted:

Plug-in Boutique is selling something called the Komplete Classics collection right now. It’s FM8, Absynth, Massive, and Replika for 100 bucks.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/deals/show?sale_id=8521

wouldn't be surprised if all of these go the way of the b4, pro53 and fm7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Martytoof posted:

That is pretty awesome. My only real want for NKI support is because the only good Taiko drum libraries seem to be in Kontakt form :[

All the free one-shots I find have stuff like stage reverb already applied, boo.

You could also roll your own from a Raspberry Pi for somewhere around $200:

https://blokas.io/pisound/
https://blokas.io/patchbox-os/

That's a lot of the same software as the MOD Duo I linked, but with a bit less fancy electronics (e.g. no CV in/out). Although you could mod that stuff in if you felt like it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol people not fans of fm8 or something?

spose i’ll have to go research the drama myself

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
it's just old af is all

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I got my Maths today and ended up making a horror movie soundtrack out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GCZdEm1Ms0

A little bit of reverb added in Logic again.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I got my Maths today and ended up making a horror movie soundtrack out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GCZdEm1Ms0

A little bit of reverb added in Logic again.

I can dig it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

FM8 is good but i use FL which comes with sytrus that does the same but imo better and more intuitively

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

lol people not fans of fm8 or something?

spose i’ll have to go research the drama myself

fm8 should’ve been updated with a better gui that does not assume ‘07 vista hd ready screens. arturia had to eat crow for that, ni needs to, too, but they’ve programmed themselves into a corner because number must go up

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Laserjet 4P posted:

but they’ve programmed themselves into a corner because number must go up

I have no idea what this could mean about a software plugin, especially one made/hosted by a company as big as NI that ships hardware, etc.

Like even if, for some esoteric reason, they had to do a full from-the-ground-up blank slate rebuild of FM8 to make FM9 it would be relatively trivial for NI to do so.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Anyone ever play a Roland Gaia? I’ve heard mostly good things and there’s a local one for a killer price

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Anyone ever play a Roland Gaia? I’ve heard mostly good things and there’s a local one for a killer price

I'd say go for it. I personally think it's an underrated synth and if you can get one cheap, all the more better.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yea get it get it get it

I played with one for a bit and got absolutely lost in the sounds I was making with it. Really easy to program too

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There's a whole undocumented (?) separate general midi compatible tone generator in there that's only accessible via external midi iirc

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

https://youtu.be/UrrEV32y4Lg

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

My friend had a Gaia and I used to play it when I hung out at his house. It reminds me of a VA Juno. I was gonna buy one but then I found out it wasn't fully analog and got cold feet but in retrospect if I used it a bunch and couldn't tell like thats kind of ideal. So gently caress on me.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I thought it sounded a bit thin and lacking in punch when I tried it in the shop, but the immediacy of the interface is nice especially for learning your way around subtractive synthesis.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Today I discovered burst generator modules. Got them set to fire quick envelopes every time ions changes tracks, so I can get randomly occurring, occasional machine gun notes to spice up the sequence.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MPC1000 hour-one impressions:

I wanted less touchscreen and by gawd I got it. This is going to take a lot of adjusting into. Not worried at all but definitely need to figure out the workflow and the muscle memory will develop in time.

Also lmfao USB1 interface. Immediately amazon'd a giant gently caress-off SD to CF to IDE adapter combo. Decided to go SD to CF so I can just use it in the memory card slot if I need to, and CF to IDE just because I have the HDD module so why not.

E:

Fifteen year difference between these two. An hour into using this thing and I *LOVE* it. This is the pushbutton workflow I was dreaming of when I first got the One. JJOS is pretty.. unintuitive, but I grabbed the tutorial book for thirty bucks. Pretty sure I’ll get the hang of this in no time.

don’t judge my temporary RCA cable audio, it’s so ugly I know :(

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 28, 2021

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Martytoof posted:

MPC1000 hour-one impressions:

I wanted less touchscreen and by gawd I got it. This is going to take a lot of adjusting into. Not worried at all but definitely need to figure out the workflow and the muscle memory will develop in time.

Also lmfao USB1 interface. Immediately amazon'd a giant gently caress-off SD to CF to IDE adapter combo. Decided to go SD to CF so I can just use it in the memory card slot if I need to, and CF to IDE just because I have the HDD module so why not.

E:

Fifteen year difference between these two. An hour into using this thing and I *LOVE* it. This is the pushbutton workflow I was dreaming of when I first got the One. JJOS is pretty.. unintuitive, but I grabbed the tutorial book for thirty bucks. Pretty sure I’ll get the hang of this in no time.

don’t judge my temporary RCA cable audio, it’s so ugly I know :(

Amazing. Keep us updated on how you like using the two of them together. I'm still deciding between getting an MPC one or a better synthesizer.
How have you connected them? Midi out from the 1000 into the One? Or the other way around?

JJOS is a huge upgrade and after a few hours of using it and building muscle memory it becomes really fast to use!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I think theres at least a free version of JJOS that is still a huge upgrade from the original OS

the black 1000s had the pad upgrade from the factory so you should be good there. I put the fat pads from MPC stuff on mine because it was an older version with some dead ish pads

consider using CF cards imo the big one is plenty of space. get a ram upgrade tho then you will be officially pimped

I kinda want a 2500 now

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Eurorack goons - what’s the difference between something like the Ornament and Crime versus something like the Befaco Lich?

Seems like there’s all kinds of digital dsp modules that do all kinds of things, but only one-at-a-time. Robeaux 3PT is another DIY versus the Disting, which is something I’m very not interested in.

I ask cuz I’m interested in a diy quantizer kit, and the diy stuff seems to go straight from cheesy stuff like the Kassutronics and Sonic Potions quantizers, straight into DSP utility modules, with no in between.

Or are their other DIY quantizers I don’t know about? I’d like something that could do 12-step chromatic scales plus alternate and microtonal tunings. I know I can buy modules like that, but I’m mostly trying to stick to DIY.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
Ornament and Crime has a super nice quantizer mode with the standard firmware, which is what I'm running. You get 4 channels of quantizer, and 99 predefined scales to work with. It can also use a shift register (like a Turing Machine) as the pitch source instead of plugging pitch into the input jack for the channel.

I haven't had it very long and haven't spent much time with the other modes in the standard firmware, but they look very interesting. But even if I only ever use the quantizer mode, I think it is worth it.

I'm giving serious thought to adding a second Ornament and Crime and running the alternate firmware, Hemispheres, on that. With the alternate firmware you can run two different applications at once, and the applications seem to provide more low-level type functions and more options.

But I'm new to all this so ymmv.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Stabbing Spork posted:

Amazing. Keep us updated on how you like using the two of them together. I'm still deciding between getting an MPC one or a better synthesizer.
How have you connected them? Midi out from the 1000 into the One? Or the other way around?

JJOS is a huge upgrade and after a few hours of using it and building muscle memory it becomes really fast to use!

Right now no connection at all, just been bapping with samples. I do plan to MIDI OUT from 1K into One. All my audio is routed into my mixer so I can always just sample back into the 1K from the One’s audio via send.

I was kind of lamenting the bother of CF and USB1 and getting samples into this bad boy, but short of a few must-have one-shots that I want to throw on the CF card I think everything else I can just sample in from the One. It’s got virtually unlimited storage and access to Splice so I’m happy for that to be my sound source.

A MIRACLE posted:

I think theres at least a free version of JJOS that is still a huge upgrade from the original OS

the black 1000s had the pad upgrade from the factory so you should be good there. I put the fat pads from MPC stuff on mine because it was an older version with some dead ish pads

consider using CF cards imo the big one is plenty of space. get a ram upgrade tho then you will be officially pimped

I kinda want a 2500 now

You know what I don’t know what the deal is but I literally JUST opened the 1K like fifteen minutes ago (to look at a mushy tac switch) and it DOESN’T have the new upgraded pads so I’m kind of bummed AND confused. Maybe this was a refurb job with spare parts or something.

I won’t lie, it felt perfectly fine to my fingers before I opened it and I could probably have used it forever but now that I know I don’t have the good pads I will probably swap them out sometime soon ONLY because I really want to try the fat pads.

Anyway, been having a blast so far.

I’m kind of bummed that the mpc-samples training PDF is free JJOS since I kind of just want to learn on the OS I’ll be using but the core concepts should transition no matter what.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 28, 2021

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Eccles posted:

I'm giving serious thought to adding a second Ornament and Crime and running the alternate firmware, Hemispheres, on that. With the alternate firmware you can run two different applications at once, and the applications seem to provide more low-level type functions and more options.

Pro move

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Eurorack goons - what’s the difference between something like the Ornament and Crime versus something like the Befaco Lich?

Not sure about the Lich, or the other things, other than what I'm picking up by google, but...

Looks like Lich is letting you run a Pure Data program on it, as a sound processor? I'm assuming a couple things - a.) that it's audio, b.) that its constrained by the libraries the pedal (looking at the OWL stuff)/module wants to run on, and c.) that its letting you get kinda open ended with it, but only setting up one thing at a time.

O+C is purely control voltage, the libraries you're using are the Teensy/Arduino libraries (much lower level programming than something like PureData), and in general you're not really coding your own stuff, you're using firmware someone else wrote. Which isn't to say don't, I mean it's an open source platform, but the intention isn't for the average end user to be a coder. The flip is, especially with Hemispheres, you have access to a lot of different software modes from the panel, so you don't have to step away from the rack to radically change what the module is doing. Oh, and its 4 channels.

Disting is kinda in between, and it's not open source, but it has a similar swiss army knife thing to O+C. It also does audio stuff.

3PT is kinda blowing my mind, not really sure what to make of it/how to fit it in this comparison other than that it probably wouldn't exist without the influence of the O+C project. But seems very much in line with the trend of pseudo-generative CV stuff that started with the Turing Machine, riffing on the weirder ends of Serge and Buchla.

You gotta keep in mind that O+C started its life as a way over-specced 4 channel quantizer based on a Teensy. Then some people figured out how to get a lot more code in there, including some MI stuff, and that was kind of the version that everyone thinks of as 1.0. But the hardware was still designed to be a 4 channel quantizer, and everything comes back there - the signal levels, the ins/outs, the screen... It's become a hugely flexible CV brain mostly because of the utility of open source, not because the hardware is incredible (for other stuff). But its a pretty great quantizer, if thats something you do need. And Hemispheres lets you do that and something else.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh, on further research it looks like the BK-N has the upgraded pads. The BK is just black unit with individual pad sensors. Bummer but at least that gives me some peace of mind that this hasn't just been hacked together with old parts.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Eccles posted:

Ornament and Crime has a super nice quantizer mode with the standard firmware, which is what I'm running. You get 4 channels of quantizer, and 99 predefined scales to work with. It can also use a shift register (like a Turing Machine) as the pitch source instead of plugging pitch into the input jack for the channel.

I haven't had it very long and haven't spent much time with the other modes in the standard firmware, but they look very interesting. But even if I only ever use the quantizer mode, I think it is worth it.

Lich is more about digital audio processing. Reverbs, delays, digital oscillators... It also is a MIDI hub and MIDI interface.
Lich lets you write and deploy your own code, which is pretty cool.

O & C does a whole lot of stuff, but it is centered around control voltages. I just got mine assembled and I have only used it as a quantized Turing Machine to make some simple patterns.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Cool, thanks everyone for all of your feedback.

Does Ornament & Crime’s quantizer do microtonal scales and non-Western scales?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Cool, thanks everyone for all of your feedback.

Does Ornament & Crime’s quantizer do microtonal scales and non-Western scales?

https://github.com/mxmxmx/O_C/blob/master/software/o_c_REV/braids_quantizer_scales.h

Thats what is standard but I mean if you can do c++ its pretty straight forward to add more/ swap which ones are commented out. they limit it to 99 at once but idk if thats a memory or an interface thing

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
You get four editable scales in O&C you can define from the front panel containing 4 to 16 microtonal pitches. Or go nuts as mentioned above and edit the source.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Playing a set tomorrow wish me luck dudes

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

A MIRACLE posted:

Let’s gooooooooo

Godspeed synth chum

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

A MIRACLE posted:

Have fun!

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Can confirm O+C with Hemispheres is extremely good as an all around toolbox -- it's nice that it splits the functionality and you get more options, but it also removes the menu diving. Starting to find that's a Big Thing for me. Mine actually came to me flashed with Hemispheres, and after giving the default firmware a shot for an hour or so (was considering buying a second so I could have both firmwares available), I just switched back.

In other news, holy poo poo the I-o47 is fantastic. Putting both outputs of my Ensemble Oscillator into the audio input and the resonator is a joy -- you can use it almost like a mixer by sweeping the Q, and scooting the notch filter around gives you all kinds of lush tones. There's just so much going on with this thing.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

A MIRACLE posted:

Hope you bitcrush it

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

Eccles posted:

If you're on the fence about checking out Hemisphere, the firmware flash is just RIDICULOUSLY quick and easy and it's equally easy to switch back. The most time consuming part for me is getting the data cable plugged in

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
For those who didn't catch this, loopop has a nice contest - use samples from new gear from Superbooth (provided free in the description) to make a song, win actual hardware or software.

Prizes: Mashine+, NI Komplete Ultimate, Lyra-8 X 2, Keystep Pro, Empress Effects Zoia, V collection... probably something I forgot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYJrT_WASes

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

don’t think i’ll participate but man those drum samples are CRUNCHY

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

stillvisions posted:

For those who didn't catch this, loopop has a nice contest - use samples from new gear from Superbooth (provided free in the description) to make a song, win actual hardware or software.

Prizes: Mashine+, NI Komplete Ultimate, Lyra-8 X 2, Keystep Pro, Empress Effects Zoia, V collection... probably something I forgot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYJrT_WASes

Does anyone else think loopop sounds like a John Malkovich character?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m looking for a compact or subcompact MIDI keyboard controller but I specifically need it to have the following characteristics:

- MIDI Channel display clearly visible and selectable
- As few unnecessary control surfaces as possible. I don’t want pads. I don’t want knobs. I just want keys.
- The standard keyboard stuff — octave -/+, pitch/bend

I feel like this exists and I’ve seen it, but I can’t really remember what it was.

For sure I can always get a more feature packed keyboard with pads and knobs and just not use them but I guess I’m trying for a setup where each piece of equipment does a specific thing and nothing more. I have a pad controller in the form of my MPC already, any knobs would be on the devices this mythical keyboard is controlling via MIDI, so I really just want one central place to play a small keyboard and route that to wherever I need via MIDI channels. If I can avoid a more feature packed controller I would prefer that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The cheap m-audio and nektar controller fit most of that, but theres a catch: the type of keyboard that doesn't have many controls (cheap) also doesn't have a midi din connector.