Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Or just ban me, that seems like it's quicker. The level of discourse reflects the abject absurdity of a grown adult throwing a tantrum over being told what they're doing isn't the smartest thing.

StrangeThing posted:

This is bullshit, because it's essentially saying that any rule to prevent the spread of COVID is justified, no matter how little health advice actually informed the rule in question.

Public health measures should be informed by science, not by simply saying "we need to stop all contact whatsoever".

If science tells us that outdoor meetings between two vaccinated people are safe, then they should be allowed.

Or, get this: maybe the rule isn't permanent?! Maybe it's to drive down case loads to the point where this measure is actually overkill like you said at first?

Also, I cannot loving believe I have to say this, but risk isn't binary. Because of the incubation period, transmissibility, and the possibility of asymptomatic transmission, you cannot accurately determine the risk of meetings unless you use an NPI that prevents that exact possibility.

People suck at assessing risk, and you're falling into optimism bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Or just ban me, that seems like it's quicker. The level of discourse reflects the abject absurdity of a grown adult throwing a tantrum over being told what they're doing isn't the smartest thing.

Or, get this: maybe the rule isn't permanent?! Maybe it's to drive down case loads to the point where this measure is actually overkill like you said at first?

Also, I cannot loving believe I have to say this, but risk isn't binary. Because of the incubation period, transmissibility, and the possibility of asymptomatic transmission, you cannot accurately determine the risk of meetings unless you use an NPI that prevents that exact possibility.

People suck at assessing risk, and you're falling into optimism bias.

You still haven’t provided any proof that outdoor transmission between two vaccinated people is unsafe.

Case loads in Melbourne are at about 600-700 a day right now. In a city of 5.5 million. 75% have a first dose.

Outdoor visits between vaccinated people should be allowed. This isn’t hard or difficult.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

So at which number would you say this is?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

StrangeThing posted:

You still haven’t provided any proof that outdoor transmission between two vaccinated people is unsafe.

Does it bother you that I don't take you seriously?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

You are the only person here who can reasonably be described as “throwing a tantrum” over someone expressing a desire to see a single vaccinated friend outdoors. I don’t think anyone has gone as far as you have, although I only skimmed through the last page so I may be wrong.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

cant cook creole bream posted:

So at which number would you say this is?

It's zero community spread pretty obviously

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

poll plane variant posted:

It's zero community spread pretty obviously

This is a ridiculous notion.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Does it bother you that I don't take you seriously?

It bothers me your risk assessment is based on paranoia and not science.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

StrangeThing posted:

lol, lmao

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Signed, the chief health officer.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

StrangeThing posted:

Strange thing, just to be clear you’re a loving idiot and I suspect you may have already had COVID because you sure as hell are acting like you have brain damage.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit
Trade insults all you can want. It doesn’t change the facts.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

StrangeThing posted:

Trade insults all you can want. It doesn’t change the facts.

The fact that you’re a selfish idiot? Sure.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

StrangeThing posted:

Also LOL at someone telling me “it’s not hard”. Have you lived in state mandated lockdown for over 230 days? gently caress off.

Self-mandated lockdown for ~500 days and counting. IIIIIIttttt'sss Eeeeeaaassssyyyyy. Get over yourself.

StrangeThing posted:

I guarantee if you had to experience what’s happening here you’d loving crack.

Hahaahahahahahaahahaha

Oh and here's a fun one about 6 fully-vaccinated breakthrough infections resulting from a (fully-vacinated) outdoor wedding, for all the outdoor fans :thumbsup:

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 26, 2021

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

LionArcher posted:

The fact that you’re a selfish idiot? Sure.

Two vaccinated people meeting outdoors is not risky. Your paranoia will not change this.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

S w a y z e posted:

Self-mandated lockdown for ~500 days and counting. IIIIIIttttt'sss Eeeeeaaassssyyyyy. Get over yourself.

Hahaahahahahahaahahaha

Oh if it’s easy for you then it’s ready for everyone. My bad. gently caress the parents of special needs kids am I right? They don’t deserve to take their children outside.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

StrangeThing posted:

Two vaccinated people meeting outdoors is not risky. Your paranoia will not change this.

Degrading NPIs takes you farther from zero covid and closer to "not having modern healthcare". When you have community spread you can basically have a social life or hospitals, not both.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

StrangeThing posted:

Oh if it’s easy for you then it’s ready for everyone. My bad. gently caress the parents of special needs kids am I right? They don’t deserve to take their children outside.

The sob story just keeps getting worse and worse. Everyone's got an excuse.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Degrading NPIs takes you farther from zero covid and closer to "not having modern healthcare". When you have community spread you can basically have a social life or hospitals, not both.

Based on this logic let’s station police on every corner and ban all outdoor exercise.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

StrangeThing posted:

Based on this logic let’s station police on every corner and ban all outdoor exercise.

Unironically yes. You'd be at zero in a few weeks that way.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

S w a y z e posted:

The sob story just keeps getting worse and worse. Everyone's got an excuse.

lol I’m not even talking about home visits. I’m literally talking about letting people go outside for more than two hours a day. Not even meeting people.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Unironically yes. You'd be at zero in a few weeks that way.

Lol you seriously believe that someone going on a walk, alone, near no one else, increases Covid risk?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

StrangeThing posted:

Lol you seriously believe that someone going on a walk, alone, near no one else, increases Covid risk?

Relaxing NPIs provides cover for further violations, it's pretty simple. Personally given your lockdown rules vs lockdown results I already suspect there's plenty of cheating.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Relaxing NPIs provides cover for further violations, it's pretty simple. Personally given your lockdown rules vs lockdown results I already suspect there's plenty of cheating.

There is no arguing with this type of insanity.

I need to go take my bins out to the front of my driveway now. Is that okay? Should I get my respirator first?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

StrangeThing posted:

I need to go take my bins out to the front of my driveway now. Is that okay? Should I get my respirator first?

Why do you have such a problem with respirators? They're excellent at doing their job.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I am fairly sure that some people in this thread haven't left their house since 2010.

Mischievous Mink posted:

Why do you have such a problem with respirators? They're excellent at doing their job.

Thus is true.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

StrangeThing posted:

You just don't know what you're talking about throwing away.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

StrangeThing posted:

I swear to god people like you are actually going to make me move to China

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Hell is other posters

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

StrangeThing posted:

Question: How are lockdown rules being enforced in Victoria? Sincerely.

Like, is it easy to break the rules? Could you go and see your friend with almost certainty that you’d face zero repercussions?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Well, this thread sure has gone to poo poo, huh?

Oh well. Maybe the next iteration will be better, with proper (and hopefully very strict) moderation.

Or maybe this one can stay as a general-purpose chat thread and a second Covid thread can be started where ridiculous moral judgments and vicious personal attacks are strictly off-limits, the threadbans from the original thread are carried over? From what some people have posted earlier, I get the sense that there might still be a desire for such a thread in D&D, but this one clearly is not it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Not to acquiesce to backseat moderation but I think this slapfight has gone on long enough. If you can't agree to disagree then just log off and go do something else for awhile.

Please.

e: if anyone wants to request a probe so they can more easily step away. Or keep being loving assholes and I can just surprise you with one. If you want to shout mean things about people you can do it in the blow thread I guess but tone it down a notch in here please.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 26, 2021

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

StrangeThing posted:

This is probably mostly true (at this moment). But how does a public health system verify that people are vaccinated at all? The honor system was tried in May. I do not think that was a good move. There could be ways, but I don’t know what.

IDK if it’s really my role to say so, but I I hope we all recognize that all of us are in a scary situation that we haven’t dealt before. It’s normal to get emotional while talking about it. All of us have a stake. I hope we can be supportive of one another but also recognize that it’s very easy (and normal) to get upset or combative when discussing this stuff.

e: started writing before the above post, sounds good.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mawarannahr posted:

This is probably mostly true (at this moment). But how does a public health system verify that people are vaccinated at all? The honor system was tried in May. I do not think that was a good move. There could be ways, but I don’t know what.

IDK if it’s really my role to say so, but I I hope we all recognize that all of us are in a scary situation that we haven’t dealt before. It’s normal to get emotional while talking about it. All of us have a stake. I hope we can be supportive of one another but also recognize that it’s very easy (and normal) to get upset or combative when discussing this stuff.

I don't think your post is really the kind I was talking about, but I appreciate your acknowledgement, and I do appreciate people stepping back and giving a little space after tensions run high.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Well, this thread sure has gone to poo poo, huh?

Oh well. Maybe the next iteration will be better, with proper (and hopefully very strict) moderation.

Or maybe this one can stay as a general-purpose chat thread and a second Covid thread can be started where ridiculous moral judgments and vicious personal attacks are strictly off-limits, the threadbans from the original thread are carried over? From what some people have posted earlier, I get the sense that there might still be a desire for such a thread in D&D, but this one clearly is not it.

Can anyone say with a straight face that the last thread was worse?

It’s pretty funny that that’s true of the thread where the OP himself was threadbanned.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Another family member was hospitalized with covid and is in the ICU. Unvaxxed, naturally. When he dies that will be #4 from my family and none of the remaining living ones are planning to get the vaccine. At this rate I might not have a family by the end of the year.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

HonorableTB posted:

Another family member was hospitalized with covid and is in the ICU. Unvaxxed, naturally. When he dies that will be #4 from my family and none of the remaining living ones are planning to get the vaccine. At this rate I might not have a family by the end of the year.
Sorry, that sucks, but also understandable if you are basically done caring. I have a level of caution which is different from my family which is different from the thread which is different from the public in Los Angeles. My mom and her side of the family got rid of the masks the moment the mandates lifted (thankfully they're vaxxed) but they basically act like covid is over now and since one of them is 70+ with two different active cancers, i'm kinda watching in fear how all that plays out.

Similarly, roommate with covid brought her fiance's parents over (one who is unvaxxed) for the weekend and tonight they have dinner reservations for 7 at this local restaurant. I've grown pretty numb to the risk of covid exposure in this household because its been constant playing-with-fire at this place since i've moved here.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Can anyone say with a straight face that the last thread was worse?

It’s pretty funny that that’s true of the thread where the OP himself was threadbanned.

Didn't the last thread have someone talking about how they tested positive for covid but they were gonna go to brunch anyway because they felt fine?

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

I live in Québec, and our provincial government implemented vaccine passports at the beginning of the month. Individuals can download an app that displays a QR code that links to their vaccine record, and businesses have a separate app they use to scan the code and verify that the individual is fully vaccinated. We also have to present a piece of government-issued photo ID in order to verify that we are who the app says we are.

The system seems to be working as intended - case counts rose through August before the passports were implemented, but have since plateaued. Then again, Ontario (which borders Québec to the west) is seeing the same plateau in cases, hospitalizations, and ICU admissions, and they just started checking vaccination status this past week, so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I mean I've used my buttons here a single time and have been trying to give people the leeway to disagree and be angry and confused and scared, because we are trying to live through this pandemic. I recognize that it's probably a little too hands off at this point, but what I do see over the last thread is a wider set of people posting.

So far I've gotten lots of feedback from a lot of folks and I'm trying to be considerate of everyone so I do appreciate the folks who are sticking around and helping pull up the thread when it needs it.