Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Waffle House posted:

So I have a few discord groups I eavesdrop for groups and raids, and in one of them a player was complaining that, "this game should be more like call of duty, no special magic powers, no anything, just guns, it'd be way better."

Why yes his complaining did involve a complete panning of crucible and an admission of sucking, how did you know

Ohhhh hells yeah, thank you!

supers are lame so he's partially right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just unlocked the triumph for completing the Ager’s Scepter catalyst (cool ship!)

I’m still at 90% with the catalyst tho lmao

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

If 7 win flawless got replaced with something else, what should it be?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Waffle House posted:

So I have a few discord groups I eavesdrop for groups and raids, and in one of them a player was complaining that, "this game should be more like call of duty, no special magic powers, no anything, just guns, it'd be way better."

Why yes his complaining did involve a complete panning of crucible and an admission of sucking, how did you know

Ohhhh hells yeah, thank you!

you should tell him about a little game called The Division

finally found the one dude who that game was built for

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 26, 2021

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Rubellavator posted:

you should tell him about a little game called The Division
finally found the one dude who that game was built for
That's really not true. Maybe in early game but not in endgame/pvp where you're spamming skills.

And it's really not true in Division 2, where I have one build where I never have to fire a gun if I want to.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Division is exactly Destiny. The traveler is the federal government and your ghost is your watch.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The guy was describing Destiny without the cool stuff and that's usually how I explain The Division to people.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I liked the division (both 1 and 2) but it's very samey and larp-y and doesn't have cool space magic and screaming aliens that celebrate thanksgiving by turning things inside out.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I just played 7 trials in a row as a solo. Out of those 7 I had 1x team member quit after the opening round in 3 of the matches. The rest played out normally.

Maybe it's just not a fun game mode for a lot of players?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

any d2 newbies around, be sure to grab the Argent Ordnance mod from Ada before reset today, the mod stacks with the explosive light perk on the seasonal rocket launcher for some really impressive damage

e: also the buff is called GODSLAYER WARHEADS, which should be enough reason on its own

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Division 1 was chill and the single player was a nice map clearing, gun hunting, outfit finding loot shooter.

Div2 was the same on a new map right until you change tiers, and then suddenly the map is full of rear end in a top hat mercenaries constantly knocking you out of cover with drones, robot dogs and grenade spam, and it also goes "Oh you cleared the entire map? Think again fuckface, blackwater came in and destroyed everything overnight and now even the basic street patrols gently caress you up."

Right, but I suspect that had more to do with you being on the team than matchmaking. As a low skill solo loss grinder, my experience has been that it's less to do with how good the enemy is, and more to do with whether you have a competent other player to follow.

Was that achieved with the same team each game? I would be interested to see how you would do solo queueing.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
Big lore point I found. In Crow's room in the resevoir there is a roll of toilet paper hanging on the wall next to a mop bucket that has 2 more rolls stacked upon it. Crow shits in a bucket.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My ghost transmats my poop into space.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guardians throwing themselves off cliffs and insisting their ghost rez them with empty bowels.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Dying of hunger as a guardian must suck rear end

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Didn’t one guardian go insane and his ghost got so fed up it straight up decided not to res him again after his last death so now he’s stuck

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I remember that, he was some sort of insane conspiracy theorist who would always do the opposite of what his ghost told him to do. That was a fun read.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Didn’t one guardian go insane and his ghost got so fed up it straight up decided not to res him again after his last death so now he’s stuck
That sounds like the final lore entry of Presage, but it was also that the guardian was working with calus to commune with the darkness using a hive artefact and torturing scorn. Also the ghost is implied to have fallen to darkness and threatens to leave before the guardian shoots it.

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/entry-12-debtors-knife#book-captains-log

There's also a guardian who's stuck on Nessus I think because they're in suspended animation, but not dead so their ghost can't rez them.

E: Also Crow getting the poo poo beaten out of him by a titan who saw his face and dying of internal bleeding 2 days later. I guess if you die quick then the ghost/rez situation isn't that bad, but i mean spinal injuries and stuff out in the wild would suuuck.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 26, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Dying of hunger as a guardian must suck rear end

That story is somewhere in Drifter's lore.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Guardians throwing themselves off cliffs and insisting their ghost rez them with empty bowels.

Thanks to this the tower is now known as the poop deck in my brain.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Well is hilarious this weekend. Watching all the revenant hunters try to shatterdive it never gets old.

https://i.imgur.com/vWzyiyJ.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/GKpnW6i.mp4

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

DancingShade posted:

I just played 7 trials in a row as a solo. Out of those 7 I had 1x team member quit after the opening round in 3 of the matches. The rest played out normally.

Maybe it's just not a fun game mode for a lot of players?

Its not for people who play an hour or so of pve a day. Its a chore to swap out you armor mods, especially if you have really good pve stuff, guns perks included. It really is a huge disadvantage for "normal" players going up against stasis hunters with all targeting and flinch and every other pvp mod with pvp gun perks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Doesn't everyone constantly juggle gear/mods when flying into an activity or is that just me?

Loading screens are my quiet time to reflect on the battle ahead.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I have a fairly general “main build” and only need to swap a few things at a time. I would like to start building up my gear collecting for more flexibility, especially in terms of elemental mods. But actual high rolls worth keeping are far and few.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I keep anything over 60 and let DIM's loadout optimizer do all the work. Pick the tiers and exotic I want, zero thought required by me (except for picking ornaments, the most important stat).

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I’m still on free version, but what the gently caress should I be Doing to start? I feel like everything is open and I’m getting random currency and I’ve been doing some dungeons or whatever, but I’m not sure the direction I’m supposed to be going.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I’m still on free version, but what the gently caress should I be Doing to start? I feel like everything is open and I’m getting random currency and I’ve been doing some dungeons or whatever, but I’m not sure the direction I’m supposed to be going.

Up your light level with pinnacle grind, build up your arsenal/gear/mod collections, that's pretty much it if you're completely f2p. If you want to raid with other players, there's Vault of Glass. Also, there are holiday events like Festival of the Lost (next month), Dawning (winter), Guardian Games (spring), and Solstice of Heroes (summer) D2's free option is mainly there to boost the player base and get enough hooks into them to buy the good stuff.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

I’m still on free version

Good.

Destinations tab, in order from left to right at the top:

Red circle: Crudible is PvP. Do this. Just jump in on any of the bottom row or the big middle one. This will teach you how to shoot and move.

Blue Circle: Strikes are missions that you go through with 2 other people. 99% of the time just follow whoever is running the farthest away. This will teach you nothing, but will get you gear.

Green Circle: Gambit is a PvPvE mode. Don't do this. Maybe later, but not now.

Yellow Circle: Raids. Don't do this. Maybe later, but not now.

Buying any expansion will just give you the campaign for it. Buying anything called a "season" or "deluxe" will just give you more blue circle like activities that are entirely gear grinds of varying fun.

I'm simplifying greatly but if I don't it will all be too stupid and complicated because this game is stupid and complicated.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

If I do like this and want to pay money, does Beyond Light give me everything or do I have to buy multiple expansions?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

If I do like this and want to pay money, does Beyond Light give me everything or do I have to buy multiple expansions?

have to buy multiple, it's kinda jank

the whole purchase process is confusing af

Buy: Beyond Light Deluxe Edition, get Beyond Light + the last 4 seasons content

Buy: Forsaken and Shadowkeep individually - get these on discount, no need for deluxe

The older expansions go on sale regularly on various storefronts, just check isthereanydeal, people mention sales here occasionally as well

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Beyond Light Deluxe gives you all of Year 4, the current year, which is all the most relevant content, loot, activities. Make sure to get Deluxe. Regular won't give you the whole year 4 experience.

It's hundreds of hours and is 95% of the Destiny 2 gameplay loop.

If you enjoy it, you can drop another ~$20 to pick up Forsaken (year 2) and Shadowkeep (year 3) which have a small amount of loot and activities of relevance!

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.
There's also the Legendary edition of Destiny 2 which includes the 3 major expansions, which you can often get for much cheaper from like cdkeys or similar.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Turra posted:

There's also the Legendary edition of Destiny 2 which includes the 3 major expansions, which you can often get for much cheaper from like cdkeys or similar.

I'm not sure if that actually includes all 4 of this years seasons, I think it only includes the first one because ???

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Turra posted:

The downside to this is that it includes _base_ Beyond Light, not Deluxe. Buying Legendary + the "Deluxe Upgrade" is more money than a la carte buying Beyond Light D, Shadowkeep, Forsaken.

It is Destiny tradition to have as many SKUs and as bad a storefront as possible

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I actually think it's rather disgraceful how bungie isn't selling everything in one go at a reduced price, and having to buy all four seasons instead of being able to buy them individually is scummy as gently caress too. I am deeply unimpressed with bungie's total lack of accomodation for new players. They're not necessarily wrong in assuming that D2 is really only for fans of the game now, but at least try to play fair for those who want to join in late in the expansion's life.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

'All previous content'

'Current expansion'

'Everything'

Should be the three SKUs, but I'm guessing they have to keep the individuals around for people who bought them one at a time

Not having all the seasons included is just a big gently caress you though, because it's very easy to buy the 'wrong' version of BL (or Legendary)

Destiny 2's f2p implementation is uh, not the greatest

Anyway, bitching aside, if you're totally f2p, and you want to own everything, what I described above is how you do it. Beyond Light Deluxe, then Shadowkeep+Forsaken on sale.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Almost all MMOs these days bundle all the previous expansions with the current one. There's really no point selling them separately since having more stuff to buy in order to catch up just puts off newcomers.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

stev posted:

Almost all MMOs these days bundle all the previous expansions with the current one. There's really no point selling them separately since having more stuff to buy in order to catch up just puts off newcomers.

Yeah it feels like an artifact of their messy conversion to 'f2p', hopefully when WQ rolls around they'll rethink this

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It would be a non-issue if they let you buy previous seasons just like you can buy the current season, slap a new icon on the last category of the in game store. Maybe shave a few bucks and put a big fat LEGACY CONTENT on the icon. They're super good at making it easy to buy the lastest one!

Of course that involves buying silver but that's a small quibble.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They just need to gently caress off with charging for Seasons.

Make the annual expansion cost $60 and come with all 4 seasons, whatever. There doesn't need to be three layers of f2p -> premium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But Luke Smith said they need players to be able to drop in and play the game whenever they want and pay for a season whenever it's convenient!!

Ignoring that anyone that does this is being sold a game where they can only do like two activities with their friends because 75% of the active content is paid for in other seasons.