Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

Methane is a way stronger greenhouse gas than CO2, like 30x so even if you magically solve carbon we're still hosed because higher temps accelerate natural methane production and people seem to love beef

if you switch to a vegan diet you can reduce the greenhouse gas emissions from the meat industry which does nothing in the face of thawing methane deposits in the warming, acidifying, oceans.

Anyway, I keep up with the news. Carbon is the problem. We just opened the world's largest carbon capture plant. 1/10,000,000th of the way to being carbon neutral baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Why does global warming happen? Radiation bouncing around. How will it be solved? Bouncing it outta here. Sulfur/umbrella crew ftw

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I forget that series where the sun is dying and the planet is gonna turn into an ice ball so they have a huge focusing array that melts a corridor along the equator, but it's getting smaller and smaller as the tech degrades and falls more and more out of orbit. Anyway, we're gonna have that except the opposite lol.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I think millions of LEO bombs made to disperse mylar would be the best solar shield we could hope for, with the added benefit of trapping us all down here

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Just have a huge solar shield anchored to trail behind the moon like one of those planes that sell cars. Thank me later

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
this is a grim reflection of man's futility to stop catastrophic climate change

I hope this machine makes crack+ping noises when you turn it on

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The doomsday clock is like 20 Minutes after midnight if we're being real isn't it?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
It breaks off/fucks up? No problem. Moon scoops it up when it comes back around. Whammo

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

The doomsday clock is like 20 Minutes after midnight if we're being real isn't it?

nah, the doomsday clock was created with midnight representing full nuclear war so until someone does it we wouldn't be there

an actual doomsday clock? yeah, way past time. Everyone has just agreed collectively to go to concerts and on vacations and not look at it or think about it for as long as possible.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Homeless Friend posted:

Just have a huge solar shield anchored to trail behind the moon like one of those planes that sell cars. Thank me later

I'm on team Equator Engines.

the downside is the moon will probably crash into us if we manage to change our orbit

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Iron Crowned posted:

No it's still at 11:59

Of the day after it all ends:getin:

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

bobmarleysghost posted:

the way to deal with all of this is to chop wood, carry water, lol, lmao
don't forget to wash your bowl

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

enslave the space billionaires to build the solar shade

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
We could use our orbital worker drones on the solar shade but I'm concerned we are working toward a Battlestar Galactica situation if we make them mine space minerals and do a bunch of stuff with Tesla AI installed

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
cant catch on fire if there's no oxygen

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Rectal Death Adept posted:

so "The World's Largest" carbon capture plant that opened manages to capture 3 seconds of yearly output in 1 year

Meaning we need roughly ...10,483,200 of them to become carbon neutral

if you ignore the cost of building them or the large amounts of energy required in them to superheat the air and sequester the carbon

Maybe if the world has cut emissions in half by 2050 we can double the effectiveness of the technology and only need 2,620,000 of them to become carbon neutral

if we ignore the cost of building them or the large amounts of energy required in them

Then we can work on dealing with the amount of climate change we have already guaranteed

hmmmm, this doesn't seem right. Have you taken into account the eco-friendly search-engine we have all switched to?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I went outside and planted a tree, what the gently caress did you assholes do today? HUH?!!?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

watched some hippy plant a tree and then burned it for crypto when he was gone

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Bitcoin transactions used 301,369,863.01 kilowatt hours of energy today.

You probably got more than my tree.

I'm on month 10 of Ice-cold showers though. That will save roughly $90 of electricity.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

The Protagonist posted:

I think millions of LEO bombs made to disperse mylar would be the best solar shield we could hope for, with the added benefit of trapping us all down here

Bomb cops...

Got it

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

yeah i got a carbon

a carbon my fr*cken weed bowl :420: :snoop:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Reverend Zero posted:

yeah i got a carbon

a carbon my fr*cken weed bowl :420: :snoop:

imagine having to cope with the complex collapse of industrial civilization and the creation of a new and polluted geological era without smoking weed at all

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

So uh, how would ecosystems react to lowering solar flux a few % with a solar shade?

I suspect darkening the skies would have other effects u know

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

presumably you would design a shade that could alter the regions that you are shading every day or something to make it not as impactful locally.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Blockade posted:

So uh, how would ecosystems react to lowering solar flux a few % with a solar shade?

Hopefully not like Spartans

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I like to imagine that mankind's last major achievement will be a breakthrough in quantum computing, such as to almost spawn our own version of "Deep Thought" from Hitchhiker's, asking it if there's ~anything~ we can do to save ourselves and all we hear, in Helen Mirren's voice, no less, is:

"lol...lmao."

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Hubbert posted:

imagine having to cope with the complex collapse of industrial civilization and the creation of a new and polluted geological era without smoking weed at all

i will not :colbert:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I like to imagine that mankind's last major achievement will be a breakthrough in quantum computing, such as to almost spawn our own version of "Deep Thought" from Hitchhiker's, asking it if there's ~anything~ we can do to save ourselves and all we hear, in Helen Mirren's voice, no less, is:

"lol...lmao."

THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

then a miracle happens and the computer unlocks god powers

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
give the planet to the machines they don't care if it's 200 degrees and all of the animals are dead

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

500 good dogs posted:

give the planet to the machines they don't care if it's 200 degrees and all of the animals are dead

Neither do David Icke's lizard people in human skin suits, supposedly. :tinfoil:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

if you want VC funding the trees need to have "internet of things" connectivity

Trees already communicate through root and fungal networks so it would just be a matter of designing an appropriate interface to connect with the IoT.

What could possibly go wrong?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

the doomsday clock people are massive libs and were convinced trump was going to start a nuclear war

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
it's literally "im gonna count to three, and unless someone ~does something~, you're all in big trouble!"

they're even doing the "two and a haaaaalf. two and three quaaarrrrterssss" thing now, with 30s increments.

and it was started by the people who invented the nuclear bomb lol lmao.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

They love loving with the symbolic clock because 1) it gets them press, and 2) they have a party after every time they gently caress with the imaginary clock.

As Doctor Manhattan said: "I would only agree that a symbolic clock is as nourishing to the intellect as a photograph of oxygen would be to a drowning man."

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Blockade posted:

I suspect darkening the skies would have other effects u know

There would of course be effects that are difficult to predict vis a vis weather patterns and complex ecosystems, but for starters it'd put greater stress on phytoplankton between rising the euphotic zone and increasing the rate of ocean acidification (CO2 dissolves faster at lower temperatures, so it'd only accelerate if the planet stops warming but carbon emissions continue).

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o2BAfAb2yY

:')

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhIfxUt-Joo

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

:350:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/25/1040683057/crypto-trading-hamster-goxx-warren-buffet-s-p-500

lol

lmao