Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

girl dick energy posted:

This is the man who insisted for years that there was no demand for OOTS PDFs and that it'd just cut into the bottom line on the physical books (despite some or all of the books often being out of stock). Then the PDFs went up on Gumroad and he was completely flabbergasted at how much came in. After the hell that was the Kickstarter, I think he has a Thing about digital sales income, etc., and Patreon would be a part of that.

I remember when he posted something about this, and at the time I thought it was relatively well-reasoned. He said he liked to have his stuff in physical print because it felt more real to him, which, ok, sure, and he talked about how he had to make sure they'd be able to sell a certain amount of print copies or they wouldn't be able to afford to print them at all. And niche books like OotS have a limited potential market and they didn't think that PDF copies would expand their total sales very much, but if enough people opted for the PDF instead of the physical book then it could make the physical books not worth printing at all.

It all seemed to make sense, so it's kinda hilarious to find out that no, he was just being a dipshit about business stuff as usual and way more people want to buy his stuff if he just makes it available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I don't think that's being a dipshit, he just really underestimated how popular it would be and didn't have faith in a new fangled technology based distribution method and businesses that could say, print shirts on demand like they do for Roosterteeth now didn't exist then.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If he wanted personal physical copies that's what vanity presses are for. Otherwise it's strange he was holding out so he could sell physical copies to Pete that he'd never see again.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Vanity presses huh? Outfits that exist for making very small print runs, is that it? I might have use for something like that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SuperKlaus posted:

Vanity presses huh? Outfits that exist for making very small print runs, is that it? I might have use for something like that.

A vanity press can be small print runs, but the defining characteristic is that they aren't a publisher, just a printer. You pay them to print your books, they hand you your box of books and say goodbye. You can sell them, try to find a distributer, or do whatever you want with them. You start out paying money and may or may not be able to make that money back by selling your books yourself.

With a traditional publisher they agree to print and distribute your books, then send you royalties based on how well the books sell. You may or may not make any money, but you should never end up with negative money.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

A vanity press can be small print runs, but the defining characteristic is that they aren't a publisher, just a printer. You pay them to print your books, they hand you your box of books and say goodbye. You can sell them, try to find a distributer, or do whatever you want with them. You start out paying money and may or may not be able to make that money back by selling your books yourself.

With a traditional publisher they agree to print and distribute your books, then send you royalties based on how well the books sell. You may or may not make any money, but you should never end up with negative money.

Vanity presses are also set up as cons. They're acting as a printer, but you can get a printer who won't lie to you about marketing your work for you or tell you that your submission had been accepted after their extensive screening. Vanity presses are inherently dishonest and try to extract as much money out of their victims as possible. A printer will just take what you give them and turn it into a book.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Random Stranger posted:

Vanity presses are also set up as cons. They're acting as a printer, but you can get a printer who won't lie to you about marketing your work for you or tell you that your submission had been accepted after their extensive screening. Vanity presses are inherently dishonest and try to extract as much money out of their victims as possible. A printer will just take what you give them and turn it into a book.

There have in the past been vanity presses that deliberately misled new authors into thinking that they will become rich and famous if they just pay a small initial fee. Most, however, are honest about the fact that they print your book and nothing more.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gynovore posted:

There have in the past been vanity presses that deliberately misled new authors into thinking that they will become rich and famous if they just pay a small initial fee. Most, however, are honest about the fact that they print your book and nothing more.

The latter type are just called printers.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I thought the whole point of calling it a "vanity press" was because you're just printing copies for your own pleasure, not to get rich.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I thought the whole point of calling it a "vanity press" was because you're just printing copies for your own pleasure, not to get rich.

I think the idea is that you pay to have 500 copies printed, then walk down to the local bookstores and convince the owners to buy 25 copies each, then word of mouth gets out and you become rich and famous.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This is literally what a goon friend did and now he's got an agent and a publishing contract, it's p rad.

There was a lot of effort in between, mind.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

sebmojo posted:

This is literally what a goon friend did and now he's got an agent and a publishing contract, it's p rad.

:wow: that's amazing!

quote:

There was a lot of effort in between, mind.

Well this just sucks...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Me sowing: Well this loving sucks, what the gently caress
Me reaping: Hahahaha YES!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah that would be my interest in it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
A vanity press is a type of publisher and usually requires you to sign rights over to them and poo poo. Like the other goon said, you're better off finding a printshop that does custom orders or small batches and self publishing.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

John Wick of Dogs posted:

indie work.txt

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Or on the flip-side sometimes:

Me Sowing: YOLO!!!!

Me Reaping: Must murder whoever invented mornings...

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

GlyphGryph posted:

A vanity press is a type of publisher and usually requires you to sign rights over to them and poo poo. Like the other goon said, you're better off finding a printshop that does custom orders or small batches and self publishing.

Publisher: you give them a portion of the rights to your book. They have copies printed, distribute them to bookstores, and do publicity. They take the money from sales and give you a percentage.

Honest vanity press: you give them money, they print out copies of your book and send them to you. That's it.

Dishonest vanity press: they trick you into thinking that they will make you rich and famous, but all they do is take your money and print the book.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gynovore posted:

Honest vanity press: you give them money, they print out copies of your book and send them to you. That's it.

That's the point. Those aren't called "vanity presses", they're called printers. Vanity presses don't call themselves vanity presses, the term "vanity press" is explicitly a fake publisher that cons people.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
They're called vanity presses because paying to print your own book is considered vain.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's exactly the same concept as a vanity domain but applied to printing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_domain

Maybe you've had bad experiences with them but that doesn't mean the term is exclusively used by sociopaths and scammers, don't be weird.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah these days self-publishing is the preferred term to distinguish from the kind of scams that flourished (and no doubt still do) in the vanity press market but it's the same basic idea.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Self publishing has been around a lot longer than vanity presses and the term vanity press was not invented to describe self publishing or printers, but specifically to describe a subset of publishers.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
It appears that different people use the words "vanity press” to mean different things and you're getting mad about that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
This derail has me all vanity pressed up.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Its got me vanity depressed

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
You can tell they're vanity presses because they probably think this post is about them.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Don't you? Don't you?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I thought vanity pressing was having sex on a makeup table.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
no, that's make-up sex

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

girl dick energy posted:

I thought vanity pressing was having sex on a makeup table.

No, its having sex on an ironing board.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

a computing pun posted:

no, that's make-up sex

I thought that was when you miss an earlier opportunity for sex and have to arrange for it to happen later

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I sure hope Rich is ironing his shirts OK.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I vainly hope that Rich isn't pressed.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
New strip:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1245.html

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Idea that she is specifically acting to piss off the Order on an individual basis gaining steam.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

V :allears:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Even Belkar is getting in on the non-aggression dealio they have going. Unfortunately it's not looking like Serini's gonna appreciate it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm with Belkar on this one. Potpourri sachets are terrible and I give them a wide berth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really don't like Serini. She's just as full of herself as the rest of her group. Only a rogue's trickery can keep the gate safe!