Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Qwertycoatl posted:

The MHW side is worse because if you unlock the fights you lose the chill hub music until you beat them

I had to round up a goon posse to free me from that musical hell after I unknowingly tripped it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Len posted:

Yeah that's fair. I spend those times sliding in circles kicking up poison blobs

Ive been playing as Fl4k and gamma burst keeps bugging out in a way where I can't use it until I leave the zone or exit the game. Super great when that happens during boss fights. I guess the flip side is that varkid behind the 500 eridium door counted as beaten when I just zoned out, not sure what happened there

To me, it seems like the game is especially buggy with FL4K. One thing that happened in my playthrough: there's an early-game side quest where you help a lady get revenge by killing the guy who murdered her family. The problem is that their are two guys both claiming to have killed her family, and she can't figure out who actually did it because they're both awful. Eventually, she tells you to just pick one to kill and be done with it.

What's supposed to happen is you arrive at the area where the two scumbags are, they both aggro on you, but once you kill one of them the other loses their aggro. As you're leaving the area, the questgiver realizes she still isn't sure if you made the right choice and give you a bonus objective to go back and kill the other guy too.

What happened for me, though is that I was using Fade Away and a Jakobs shotgun. Fade Away guarantees that your next three shots are critical hits regardless of where they land on an enemy, while Jakobs guns have the bonus of bouncing a bullet to another enemy when you score a critical hit. Together, I ended up killing both guys at once, which the game very much so did not like, and it forced me to exit the game entirely to fix it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I replayed adventure game Machinarium recently and I was amazed I completely forgot about the minigames you need to complete. Because at least two of them go on for way too long. One of them is literally Space Invaders and you need to clear about 5 levels of enemies to reach the 1000 point goal. They didn’t even give the ship that occasionally appears at the top a shitload of points when you shoot it down.

The second one has you go through a “virtual” maze to shoot down 30 enemies. Beyond taking too long it is intentionally poorly drawn and it completely falls out of tone with the rest of the (wonderful) imagery in the game.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
You had to play a pretty bad Sumo arcade game in Bully to unlock the nerds safe house.

Looking it up it was so annoying they lowered the needed score in the Anniversary edition.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Had the odd experience playing Psychonauts 2 where something being good was annoying. I got to the Psi King stage and it has a great visual style that makes the other ones look kind of drab and boring in comparison.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pokemon Sword/Shield give you infinite escape ropes and just always can fly to previous areas. There's no reason that I need to get into two menus to fast travel back to town from a cave

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Sword/Shield gives you infinite escape ropes but there's only like two places you can actually use them. :negative:

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

xiw posted:

Below Zero - okay so i'm supposed to remember to manually save because you'll crash regularly and lose everything, but it's exactly the really interesting bits of exploration that i forget to save during and am most likely to lose an hour or two - welp.

I played through the game about two months before full release, since they said it was story complete and I figured eh, why not. It crashed twice the entire playthrough. Did it get worse after full release?

(It was story complete at the time, except they had disabled the final cutscene. So I loaded up the game on release, walked forwards ten feet, and spent five minutes watching the cutscene)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, it's almost like the entire crossover just fundamentally doesn't work when taken to the mechanical extremes they wanted, because an MMORPG and a 'whatever the hell you call Monster Hunter' only really have superficial similarities.

I still think MHW's side works better, partly because there's nothing making you do it if you don't want to, and partly because the fight is equal-opportunity awful; everyone is having the exact same amount of no fun. Everyone's job in the MHW version at least mostly resembles what they're meant to be doing.

Yeah I had this huge issue with the Witcher content in MHW which wanted you to tackle it in a very specific way and no other way. Except I played with a bug stick and I wanted to use my bug stick. Anyway, I almost timed out and then just never fought that boss ever again because it sucked and wasn't fun.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

JackSplater posted:

I played through the game about two months before full release, since they said it was story complete and I figured eh, why not. It crashed twice the entire playthrough. Did it get worse after full release?

(It was story complete at the time, except they had disabled the final cutscene. So I loaded up the game on release, walked forwards ten feet, and spent five minutes watching the cutscene)

I've found it will always crash if I play too long, usually at the worst possible moment. It's super annoying, and if I didn't enjoy the game so much it might actually be a deal-breaker it happens that often.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Games that have checkpoints (which you reach and the screen says "checkpoint reached"), but if you die, you have to start the mission all over from the beginning.

Like.....do I just not understand what a checkpoint is? Are not checkpoints supposed to be spots you reach in a level where the game saves your progression, so that if you die before completing the mission, you will restart from the last checkpoint and not from the beginning?? Is that not the entire point of a checkpoint??? What else could the point be????

:psyduck:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Games that have checkpoints (which you reach and the screen says "checkpoint reached"), but if you die, you have to start the mission all over from the beginning.

Like.....do I just not understand what a checkpoint is? Are not checkpoints supposed to be spots you reach in a level where the game saves your progression, so that if you die before completing the mission, you will restart from the last checkpoint and not from the beginning?? Is that not the entire point of a checkpoint??? What else could the point be????

:psyduck:

What games are doing this? So I can avoid them. I've encountered checkpoints that only protect against death but if you save and reload you start the level over<(which is also garbage) but not this kind.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

MGSV's intro to online base raids is so terrible, and it gets me every time. First, the "retake your base" trainer mission shows up literally 10 seconds into a particular other mission that you've just spent time prepping for and begs you to switch missions. Then a bit later, the tutorial for base raids shows up, but it's literally "why don't you raid your own base as practice, also I've disabled any other menu option so you have to raid it :smugdog:". I just dived into the ocean to kill myself instantly and end the mission because I have no interest in ever engaging with that aspect of the game.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

MGSV's intro to online base raids is so terrible, and it gets me every time. First, the "retake your base" trainer mission shows up literally 10 seconds into a particular other mission that you've just spent time prepping for and begs you to switch missions. Then a bit later, the tutorial for base raids shows up, but it's literally "why don't you raid your own base as practice, also I've disabled any other menu option so you have to raid it :smugdog:". I just dived into the ocean to kill myself instantly and end the mission because I have no interest in ever engaging with that aspect of the game.

Mgsv also included multiplayer insurance. You could pay real money to prevent other players stealing your resources when they raided your base. And somehow that didn't stick out as uniquely terrible above the sea of terrible microtransactions in other games

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Mgsv also included multiplayer insurance. You could pay real money to prevent other players stealing your resources when they raided your base. And somehow that didn't stick out as uniquely terrible above the sea of terrible microtransactions in other games

Kojima's dark magicks have rendered him immune to criticism

Seriously, guy can do things that would have a mob at the door if he were anyone else. Like there was not a peep at shoehorned product placement or even a special edition rerelease that will have less content than the original

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I mean, the core gameplay for MGSV is really drat good so I respect it for that even if there were some bad decisions along the way. I don't know for sure, but the particular way multiplayer was handled also feels like some Konami intervention.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Manager Hoyden posted:

Kojima's dark magicks have rendered him immune to criticism

Seriously, guy can do things that would have a mob at the door if he were anyone else. Like there was not a peep at shoehorned product placement or even a special edition rerelease that will have less content than the original

My rule of thumb for Kojima is to ask if something he did would still be "cool" if David Cage did it. It's not very favorable to him

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Plenty of people were mad about pretty much everything involving FOBs in MGSV, but that was also in the middle of the Konami/Kojima split so it was pretty easy for people to lay the blame for all the lovely microtransactions on Konami (especially since they actually patched some of the resource stuff to be worse after Kojima left)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

somepartsareme posted:

My rule of thumb for Kojima is to ask if something he did would still be "cool" if David Cage did it. It's not very favorable to him

No idea how to judge this

https://twitter.com/reggie_800/status/1442224959279927306

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Hel posted:

What games are doing this? So I can avoid them. I've encountered checkpoints that only protect against death but if you save and reload you start the level over<(which is also garbage) but not this kind.

From recent memory, Far Cry 3 and (IIRC) 4.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

JackSplater posted:

right now if I load the game and try and save, the save immediately fails.

Apparently i can go into the save files and trash certain content to fix this, not really looking forwrad to it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Hel posted:

Curious myself for the same reason because every game I play the checkpoint is if you don't mind reloading with your low ammo, a penalty, low health or whatever and a hard reload is if you want to backtrack and want a total do over.

I haven't run across a game that ganks this approach myself.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

a special edition rerelease that will have less content than the original

What game are you talking about here?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm actually playing Far Cry 3 after recently beating 4 and the checkpoints are actually fairly lenient - you respawn there on death and all your weapons start out with max ammo.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Far Cry 3 once crashed so hard on me it ruined a hard drive it wasn't even installed on, somehow, and that was the only time the checkpoint system really sucked because my blood pressure would spike involuntarily when I loaded back in and heard Vaas start the speech again.

E: Deathloop really needs a way to suspend a Colt run and pop in to gently caress someone up as Julianna without dumping Colt's whole day. Sometimes I am a few tasks into a kinda halfway important run and have to suspend the console, and then later I might have a few minutes to jump on a game but not want to go right back into single player. If I could hop on as an invader and kill ten minutes even with a single player game suspended it would be close to perfection.

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Sep 27, 2021

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

somepartsareme posted:

Kojima didn't create a fully nude model of Stefanie Joosten just so he could, so I think he still has the edge on Cage.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Also I'm pretty sure Kojima is fully aware that some of the stuff he wants include is stupid even though he still enjoys him. I think Cage is completely without mirth.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Has David Cage ever designed, like, good gameplay mechanics? Or even attempted to? I've never played any of his games but I was under the impression that they're made up of scripted sequences that you mostly watch.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Failing all the qtes in heavy rain makes it the funniest game of all time

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Snake Maze posted:

Plenty of people were mad about pretty much everything involving FOBs in MGSV, but that was also in the middle of the Konami/Kojima split so it was pretty easy for people to lay the blame for all the lovely microtransactions on Konami (especially since they actually patched some of the resource stuff to be worse after Kojima left)

To be fair, when it comes to forced multiplayer with questionable microtransactions ties to it I default to assuming the publisher demanded it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Triarii posted:

Has David Cage ever designed, like, good gameplay mechanics? Or even attempted to? I've never played any of his games but I was under the impression that they're made up of scripted sequences that you mostly watch.

in fahrenheit there's one of his trademark bad QTE cutscenes but the character is hallucinating all of it and you fail if you actually try to input the QTE instead of just sitting there quietly, that's about the most clever thing he's ever accomplished successfully

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The actual opening to Fahrenheit where your trying to clean up the murder scene is actually legit cool. Very strong start for a gane

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Honestly, Fahrenheit is bonkers enough that it all kinda works even if it is monstrously stupid.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If Cage had a very, very fierce editor who could cut out his poo poo ideas and polish up the good ones his games would be legit good B+ tier. I've only played Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit but both do have some really interesting ideas in them, dude just cannot help himself though

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Kojima also needs an editor.

Also I like Fahrenheit for the whole internet thing god.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Byzantine posted:

Honestly, Fahrenheit is bonkers enough that it all kinda works even if it is monstrously stupid.

it really does not. the craziness comes out of left field and completely derails the story. plus even if all the dumb space alien superpower stuff was left in theres no reason to add a second villian/faction so late.

theres also a bunch of horrible gameplay (the child stealth section, the police archives) that are frustrating and take way too long. the actual interesting part of the story were the murder mystery parts so its not surprising cage expanded on that for heavy rain. unfortunately he's a hack so the game is still dumb, plus he cut supernatural elements from the game super late without understanding why people hated them in farenheit, resulting in a gaping plot hole

agreed the farenheit opening owns though. great hook

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I actually really enjoyed Detroit after disliking Heavy Rain. The thing dragging Detroit down for me though was Markus as I found his sections vastly less interesting than Connor's or Kara's.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gort posted:

In Lost Judgment there's a dancing minigame. Your character is put on the spot to dance in front of a bunch of amateur dancers, and repeatedly makes it plain that they "have never danced before". Result? Perfect, professional-grade dance performance.

Like, it's not a big deal, it just seems silly to create a nonsensical outcome like that. Like, you could have them say, "Oh, I used to dance but its been a while, I might not be that good" if you want them to be reluctant and modest about it. The way they did it just feels like digging a logic hole to fall into.

The joke is that the protagonist is modeled upon and voiced by (and pretty much just IS) Takuya Kimura, possibly the most famous male idol ever, so the joke is of course he can dance, he's Takuya Kimura and it's just a flimsy excuse for the devs mocap him dancing.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Snake Maze posted:

Death Stranding doesn't not have any microtransactions while Metal Gear Survive is online only single player game with paid character slots and microtransactions.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RillAkBea posted:

The joke is that the protagonist is modeled upon and voiced by (and pretty much just IS) Takuya Kimura, possibly the most famous male idol ever, so the joke is of course he can dance, he's Takuya Kimura and it's just a flimsy excuse for the devs mocap him dancing.

Just an unusual permutation of the usual strangeness question in a Yakuza game.

If something weird you don't understand happens, is it:
A: an obscure Japanese custom or cultural reference you've never heard of,
B: a reference to a real-world Japanese celebrity you don't know,
C: a reference to a previous Yakuza game you don't recognize,
Or D: just an isolated joke the developers found funny?

In this case it was B, but you can never truly know.