Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/09/24/celebrate-warhammers-millionth-online-customer-with-this-incredible-commemorative-miniature/

Spend £150 and get Sergeant Cutscene.
If anything I find the purchase limit the most egregious.

Edit:
Which also comes off as kinda weird considering they had a "Spend £100 for a raffle" recently.

Here's the actual page that lists the different money amounts required, $240 USD - https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/space-marines-sergeant-castus-2021

I don't see myself caring enough about this to get one unless GW releases some Eldar poo poo out of nowhere.

edit: also just remembered that they haven't shipped my order from 10 days ago (email said 15 days, their website now says 20 days), probably a good idea to drum up more business when you can't ship out what you currently have at a moderate pace - yes yes pandemic supply I get it but alas

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

And from the rumors that won't be until next year at least.

But yeah, got no intentions of dropping 1800SEK/€195 on GW stuff anytime soon. I mean I can't even paint what I have right now because my room has no floor and I live in a corner of the basement tv-room without any space for paints.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Yeah I'm not gonna spend $300 on the official store for stuff I can get 20% cheaper at local places. I'm not upset at not getting a space marine either

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I think if you're already spending that much on Space Marines, awesome. Here's cool Sergeant Cutscene.

If you REALLY want him, he'll be up on Ebay alongside the WHTV Vindicare Assassin anyway.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Eh, this might convince me to order a couple of Imperial Knights and print off the parts to make them into Magaeras. The one I ordered at the start of the month still hasn't shipped, and they're out of stock now.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I don't see what's supposed to be so cool about that miniature, it's literally just a Primaris Captain.

deano
Sep 6, 2000

Dead Nerve posted:

I've got my old minis and the ones I've recently been painting up in old egg cartons. Great way to keep dust off them and works out great for troops. One day I hope to upgrade to the versatile foam KR Multicases but they're quite the investment but seem worth it.

Oooooooh, as an ork player and chef I love this. A 180 egg box would be a fantastic way to carry the waggggh heavys in the bottom and trays of orks above, just need to give the box a nice bash into a spacehulk looking thing.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I still have very little idea how to play the game (been playing some TTS during lockdown) but I couldn't resist the siren song of the Imperial Knights

White is a bitch to paint and its a little streaky still but i think half of that is the gross washes i've done over it

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

!Klams posted:

Ooooh, what's the recipe for the green here?

Nothing too crazy. Airbrushed a basecoat of Caliban Green, very light zenithal highlight of warpstone green so I could visualize the shadows, put a 50:50 mix of that and Rhinox brown into recessed and dark areas, and finished off with a warpstone green-->moot green blend around edges and cracks as best I could. I'm a but of a sloppy painter but I do enjoy how it looks after I've worked it out. You could probably do final highlights with a yellow here or there too if you're confident.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Cross-asking from mini painting thread.

quote:

Quick thought check: still very, very slowly working on those Assault Intercessors. Incubi Darkness armor with Zandri Dust (?) bone accents (whatever the Dark Angels method is, I'm forgetting the name). Thinking about how to mark out the sergeant; full red helm Ultramarines-style likely to look any good with Incubi Darkness? Maybe a marginally darker red but that's the idea at the moment at least. Been having issues with my wet palette not keeping a decent consistency for paints very well so don't want to go for something freehand quite yet on the helmet. Maybe on the shoulder shield (those totally have a name I'm blanking on...) though.

One day I'll get through these five guys and be able to move onto something new. Trying to kitbash Primaris characters seems... interesting, so far, with how monopose everything is and the lack of backwards compatibility. Guess I'll see how that part goes when I come to it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It’s very odd dealing with the monopose new ork boyz and the multi option kommandos. They could have very easily made the new ork boyz kit replace the old one but chose to not. Oh well they still look nice mixed together.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Calling it quits on my first model :v: Don't really plan on buying many Boyz if/when I expand my Ork collection, this was more of a POC for my scheme

I will say, Skeleton Horde for the leather pouch against Iyoden Yellow or whatever it's called isn't stark enough, so I guess I'll just some actual brown paint going forward. Also got lazy and didn't edge highlight the black leather bits as much as I should but whatever. Just happy to get a model done.

As an aside....

Are you really even painting if you aren't spilling Nuln Oil everywhere? :sigh:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Crab Dad posted:

It’s very odd dealing with the monopose new ork boyz and the multi option kommandos. They could have very easily made the new ork boyz kit replace the old one but chose to not. Oh well they still look nice mixed together.

Finally had a chance to start putting my combat patrol together and these push-fit models are great for painting as sub-assemblies. I've left the warboss and koptas partly unglued but can still prime them fully assembled.

My theory on why this new Ork stuff is push-fit is that GW are going to sell it separately as some kind of easy-to-build kits, possibly rebooting the old Battle for Vedros line or as part of their warhammer school club thing. Basically a range aimed at brand new hobbyists who've never put miniatures together before or just want a simple pickup & play game with them.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Cross-asking from mini painting thread.

One day I'll get through these five guys and be able to move onto something new. Trying to kitbash Primaris characters seems... interesting, so far, with how monopose everything is and the lack of backwards compatibility. Guess I'll see how that part goes when I come to it.

Rather than red a bone helmet would probably mark a sergeant well whilst fitting DA's general aesthetic.

Sab669 posted:

It's an inevitable part of mini painting, everyone's lost half a pot of wash that way :v:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Issue spare heads or or clip on armor would have gone a long way to break up the static look. So far I’ve built 8, 2 each of 4 models and spent a little time swapping heads, weapons and armor. It’s not impossible if you got bits. Doesn’t look like a ballerina class quite so much now.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Sab669 posted:

As an aside....

Snap, I did this with Agrax yesterday too. While I was closing the lid as well, just to add insult to injury!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

ro5s posted:

Rather than red a bone helmet would probably mark a sergeant well whilst fitting DA's general aesthetic.

It's an inevitable part of mini painting, everyone's lost half a pot of wash that way :v:

Sorry, to clarify, I'm not doing Dark Angels, I'm just using the DA bone recipe. I'm using Blood Angels for rules & homebrew fluff. Regular armor is Incubi Darkness with the bone in the shoulder infill and the faceplates, plus other detail where appropriate (on my test model I already painted the kneecaps, else I'd do that...).

edit:
Well, test painting the helmets went... badly. Every part of painting these marines has gone badly, actually, but that was probably the least successful of the whole part. I wish I could just partner up with someone who hated building and loved painting, I only get any joy out of the building process and none out of the painting process.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 26, 2021

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I managed to get in my first game since the start of covid, visiting some fellow goons and slamming hams in the spirit of good goonsmanship.

Behold! A batrep!

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Nice 1 , sorry about the Stompa!

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Finally got around to finishing some stuff from the indomitus box, obviously because I hate myself I decided lots of brush painted yellow was the thing to do. 🤔

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

I painted a second Knight (Red one on the left) - Took me about....45 minutes to assemble and then 8 hours to paint. Was a good use of my weekend I think. I've decided if/when I get more I'm gonna paint them all up freeblade style because I don't like any of the canon houses styles and I want them all to look relatively unique.

That being said, If I get another Armiger then I need to paint one like a Volkswagen Harlequin

Solus fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 26, 2021

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Those all look great!

The wear on the Indomitus guys is really good. The transfers look terrific, too- that’s something I’m definitely wary of doing, and am probably going to freehand mine, drat the results.

The idea of freebooter knights is cool and very Pacific Rim.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/09/26/sunday-preview-aeronautica-imperialis-is-up-up-and-away

This week in pre-orders... is kinda lacklustre tbh. v:geno:v The big release is the new Aeronautica Imperialis Eldar vs Marine box.
Unless you're dying for a Nurgling plushie.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
They're never going to release those cool dragons are they...

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

JBP posted:

They're never going to release those cool dragons are they...

I hope they never do

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Finished up my first Tyranid unit. Not my best work but as good as I’m going to get with these old models. Too many mould lines for my liking too, but I spent ages removing them and just kept finding more.

The Stirland Mud turned out to be a bit of a let down too, but I’m going to acquire some Stirland Battlemire when I can and see if using both produces better results.

Working on the Broodlord now and it’s already shaping up to be much better.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

nice nids!

I think any basing paint probably needs at least a bit of drybrushing to bring out its texture

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Trying to find out when the Black Templar stuff is coming out, and haven't seen any clear details, do we know when yet? I've got a birthday coming up and wouldn't mind offsetting at least some of the costs of the only cool looking Space Marines.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

jesus WEP posted:

nice nids!

I think any basing paint probably needs at least a bit of drybrushing to bring out its texture

Yeah, I know GW sells it as "just apply it and go!" and while technically the model counts as "based" it looks crap.

What you really need to do is match the base colour to a GW colour, put a wash over the base, and then dry brush it the original colour, and then lightly dry brush it a slightly lighter colour.

Then you'll end up with something that looks half decent with not much effort.

My grey Knights are based using this method and the bases look "OK". To be honey my guardsmen and chaos based on bits of slate look a lot better with similar if maybe very small amounts more effort.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

also a big tub of vallejo texture paste costs probably somewhere in the region of 20% per unit of weight that Citadel stuff does. If you specifically want a crackly effect like mordant earth gives then Citadel might be your best option, but if you just want lumpy gritty paint, stirland battlemire or whatever is breathtakingly expensive

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Thanks for the feedback and info regarding basing - it’s just a shame because I’ve used the Martian ones with my Necrons and they look quite nice.

Another thing I did do that I forgot to mention was I’ve used 32mm adapter rings to increase the base size. The genestealers come on slotted 25mm bases and frankly looked absurd.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Shirkelton posted:

Trying to find out when the Black Templar stuff is coming out, and haven't seen any clear details, do we know when yet? I've got a birthday coming up and wouldn't mind offsetting at least some of the costs of the only cool looking Space Marines.

Nothing known yet. But it's probably coming up next month or something.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

jesus WEP posted:

also a big tub of vallejo texture paste costs probably somewhere in the region of 20% per unit of weight that Citadel stuff does. If you specifically want a crackly effect like mordant earth gives then Citadel might be your best option, but if you just want lumpy gritty paint, stirland battlemire or whatever is breathtakingly expensive

Having used the Vallejo stuff I will caution that it's not *exactly* the same, especially if you just want the thin texture effect (i.e. Stirland mud). The Vallejo medium has a lot more 'body' and will stick up and form waves rather than shrinking down to leave a carpet of texture. It's great if you need to disguise the edge of a base or some messy basework, less so if you want a more subdued ground effect.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Shirkelton posted:

GW said the army set was "October", which is the preorder date. Released in stores anywhere between Oct 16th & Nov 6th.

The main wave of stuff with Helbrecht & co hasn't been shown off yet, but was rumoured as November.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I hope it's late October. My local Warhammer store's anniversary starts the last week of October and there's free* stuff you can get for spending certain amounts. Would be nice to get a bonus for something I'm planning on buying anyway.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

jesus WEP posted:

It seems that you can get some of the crackly effect from using a mixture of cornstarch and acrylic paint. Midwinter Minis did a long video of various household items - ground up when necessary - mixed with a cheap paint to use as alternatives and the cornstarch gave a crackly effect and was the best of the lot.

@18:13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTN-kkbgPe8

Alternatively, a number of places sell a "crackle paste medium" - which is what it says on the tin. Dollop a bunch out to mix with paint, put it on the base, drybrush with the light tints of the paint you used with the medium, bish, bash, bosh, you're done. Theoretically - I haven't tried it out yet myself.

There's a number of different ways to mimic the lumpy, gritty stuff. Here's some stuff about it. Maybe this stucco paste medium with some sand mixed in it could do the job.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/09/27/grimaldus-the-relic-saving-and-ork-smashing-high-chaplain-of-the-black-templars-is-back

Speaking of Black Templars. It's time for Grimaldus and his pose.

quote:

Stay tuned for more information on the upcoming Black Templars releases
We're probably going to see some release info or other within the next couple of weeks going by this.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

No helmetless option? I wanted to see his kind eyes, GW.

Seriously though, goddamn all these tempting and sexy hot new Templar releases.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I was disappointed that the new model doesn't have the chaplain's skull helmet until I looked back at the original Grimaldus model and noticed that he didn't have it either. I guess I must have gotten that mental image from Helsreach. If I were buying that model I'd definitely head swap with a regular Chaplain's helmet...you just can't get more badass than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I was gonna do Salamanders for my Marines but with a lack of flamer/hammer weapons available besides those goddamn upgrade packs and being unable to edge highlight my green marines well enough, these rad Templars are the medieval freaks I've always wanted but Grey Knights couldn't sate (due to a continuing aversion to Primaris scale)