Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Dreylad posted:

until the Stellaris thread started accusing Wiz of racism over immigration mechanics lol

also the Battle of Blair Mountain is nuts. imagine gathering together all your unions and allies to face off against company strikebreakers and associated corrupt sheriffs and the loving air force shows up and bombs you

To be pedantic, it was the United States Army Air Service at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

paging joementum

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1440026928329723905

suck it spanish flu wooo

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Weka posted:

To be pedantic, it was the United States Army Air Service at the time.

sir or madam this is the modern history thread

being pedantic is essential. i stand corrected.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
and the oil industry has been saving the environment ever since

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Hello I have a request I need everyone's favorite/good history books. Topic is not super important I just need the biggest list possible to pull from.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Suplex Liberace posted:

Hello I have a request I need everyone's favorite/good history books. Topic is not super important I just need the biggest list possible to pull from.

I really like The Blood Never Dried: A People's History of the British Empire by John Newsinger for an overview of British imperialism and resistance to it between 1750 and the modern day

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Suplex Liberace posted:

Frantz Fanon "The Wretched Of The Earth" and Walter Benjamin's "Arcades"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Suplex Liberace posted:

Killing for Coal
A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear
A Nation Under Our Feet

These two I wouldn't say are good, but they're like hit pieces on the long dead for the most petty reasons and are in that way hilarious.
American Sphinx is an attack on Jefferson by a guy who studied Adams and is jealous Jefferson gets all the love.
The French Renaissance Court (Robert Knecht) is how about the great and amazing and good and cool monarchy Francis I created and how Henry III destroyed it and was gay.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Suplex Liberace posted:

The Great Mortality: An Intimate History of the Black Death, the Most Devastating Plague of All Time by John Kelly

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Suplex Liberace posted:

killing hope
battle cry of freedom
before the storm
nixonland
maybe the invisible bridge, this where perlstein's lib brain really begins to take over
albion's seed
making of the english working class
suburban warriors
eric foner's reconstruction
the half that has never been told
shake hands with the devil
wages of destruction
i remember liking figes' history of the russian revolution and his crimean war book but there was some scandal involving his academics iirc
foote's civil war trilogy
stayin' alive
us capitalist development since 1776. a political economy of the US by david dowe

any of max hastings books. he's a british tory but his history is quite good and you can lol at him grinding his teeth as the communists rack up victory after victory

unfortunately the other 2/3 of my books are in storage and my memory of which ones they are is terrible

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Not just whales but all kinds of marine mammals were slaughtered in huge quantities for oil. Svalbard and the arctic coast of Russia used to be teeming with seals and walrus, but to the Norwegians, Russians, Dutch and others those were just walking oil containers. Hunters would come up on a beach armed with lances, they'd start spearing the walrus up close and kill so many next to the shore that their bodies formed a wall to prevent the rest of the herd escaping, then they'd continue slaughtering them for hours, stopping now and then to sharpen their lances or eat. They could kill hundreds at a time. If there were too many bodies for them to take along they'd leave the rest behind to rot.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i remember liking figes' history of the russian revolution and his crimean war book but there was some scandal involving his academics iirc

he was writing negative amazon reviews for his competitors' books using his wife's account lol

also he's a horrible liberal but that isn't cause for scandal among pop historians

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Suplex Liberace posted:

war and peace

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
"1491" & "1493" by Charles C. Mann.
"Mohawk Saint" by Allan Greer
"Late Victorian Holocaust" by Mike Davis
"The Great Leveler" by Walter Scheidel
"American Slavery, American Freedom" by Edmund Morgan

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Suplex Liberace posted:

Age of Napoleon by Will and Ariel Durant
Age of Revolution, Age of Capital, and Age of Empire by Eric Hobsbawm
Huey Long by T Harry Williams
Ten Days that Shook the World by John Reed
The Paris Commune of 1871 by Frank Jellinek
Seconding Killing Hope, Eric Foner's Reconstruction, and The Half has Never Been Told
Che - A Revolutionary Life by Jon Lee Anderson
Command & Control by Eric Schlosser

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Thanks! Its hard finding decent history books to bring into a book store and I can stock lots of these.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I also like a lot of stuff by C.V. Wedgewood, although more for the fact that I think she's a good writer and can really tell a compelling story, and less for contributions to contemporary historiography as she was writing about 70-80 years ago.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
in addition to what's already been posted:

The Jakarta Method by Vincent Bevins
Russia in Revolution by S. A. Smith
The Baron's Cloak by Willard Sunderland
Former People by Douglas Smith
The Cold War: A World History by Odd Arne Westad (also The Global Cold War, by the same author)
Segregation by Carl Nightingale
King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s a popular story, but just a story.

quote:

You may be interested in this paper by Ugo Bardi. While not strictly speaking history, it is an ecological economics study of the history of the whale industry and the process of substitution. Bardi's conclusion is that the end of the whale industry was largely caused by depletion of the whale population which caused whalers to travel further and longer for less reliable catches and less about the birth of the oil industry. There's a few important take aways.
  • Peak whale was likely somewhere around 1849. By 1879 Starbuck notes that the whalers are finding catches more difficult and that longer voyages, longer cruise times and more expensive outfittings are the norm in his time.
  • Looking at inflation adjusted prices for whale products there are huge drops in prices between 1850 and 1860 (Graph on page 3). However, these drops are from all time price highs. The bottom of the price collapse in the mid-1870's is only slightly lower than the highest average yearly price for any year before 1850. As such the price doesn't so much collapse as it does rise as whale depletion starts to affect the price.
  • Alcohol blends began to dominate the lighting oil market as early as 1830. They were substantially cheaper than whale oil. Whale oil was a premium product which already had lower priced alternatives namely 'Camphene' (a mix of camphor, alcohol and turpentine), lard oil and coal oil. Camphene was the leading lamp oil with something in the area of 200 million gallons per year while whale oil peaked at around 18 million gallons. . "By the late 1830s, alcohol blends had replaced increasingly expensive whale oil in most parts of the country. It “easily took the lead as the illuminant” because it was “a decided improvement on other oils then in use,” (especially lard oils) according to a lamp manufacturer’s “History of Light.” By 1860, thousands of distilleries churned out at least 90 million gallons of alcohol per year for lighting. 22 In the 1850s, camphene (at $.50 per gallon) was cheaper than whale oil ($1.30 to $2.50 per gallon) and lard oil (90 cents per gallon). It was about the same price as coal oil, which was the product first marketed as “kerosene” (literally “sun fuel”)." ( Kovarik, 1998)
  • Rock oil (kerosene) was only marketed as lamp oil in the 1860's 15 years after the peak in whaling in 1849. Kerosene was more of a direct competitor to Camphene than to whale oil in price and market niche. At this point there are no cost savings between camphene and kerosene as they are priced more or less the same.
  • In 1862 and 1864 a $2.08 tax on alcohol was implemented raising the price substantially. This raised the costs of Camphene just as the equivalently priced kerosene enters the market. "The imposition of the internal-revenue tax on distilled spirits … increased the cost of this ‘burning fluid’ beyond the possibility of using it in competition with kerosene..,” said Rufus F. Herrick, an engineer with the Edison Electric Testing Laboratory who wrote one of the first books on the use of alcohol fuel." (Kovarik, 1998)
  • "the American alcohol tax meant that kerosene became the primary fuel virtually overnight, and the distilleries making lamp fuel lost their markets. The tax “had the effect of upsetting [the distilleries] and in some cases destroying them,” said IRS commissioner David A. Wells in 1872. “The manufacture of burning fluid for lighting suddenly ceased; happily, it was replaced by petroleum, which was about to be discovered.” Similarly, C.J. Zintheo, of the US Department of Agriculture, said that 90 million gallons of alcohol per year were used for lighting, cooking, and industry before the tax was imposed. Meanwhile, use of oil shot up from almost nothing in 1860 to over 200 million gallons in 1870. “The effect was disastrous to great industries, which, if [they were to be] saved from ruin, had to be rapidly revolutionized,” according to Irish engineer Robert N. Tweedy. " (Kovarik again)
In short the idea that kerosene replaced whale oil is something of a myth. Whaling largely collapsed due to depletion and over hunting. Whale oil was a premium product that was largely replaced by camphene and then kerosene and then the electric light not by kerosene directly. Kerosene enters the market in large part due to a political decision to tax one of it's competitors principle ingredients, alcohol.
the full cite for the camphene element is Bill Kovarik, Automotive History Review, Spring 1998, No. 32, p. 7 – 27.

https://old.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/5lh07z/when_america_was_switching_from_whale_oil/

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Did Lincoln have backers in the oil industry?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oh also shattered sword, a history of the battle of midway and an lesson par excellence in the important of cross-lingual research

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

thank you i posted it because of the funny title but i did suspect this might be one of those wet streets cause rain kind of stories and was hoping someone more knowledgable than me could explain why

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
oh no i was duped

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok but the poop shortage one better be real.
The guano islands being scraped bare.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Weka posted:

Did Lincoln have backers in the oil industry?

in 1862, there were big tax increases on just about everything, due to a sudden pressing need to fund a certain very expensive war

the North American oil industry barely existed in 1862. the first oil wells on the continent had only been built a couple years prior

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

in 1862, there were big tax increases on just about everything, due to a sudden pressing need to fund a certain very expensive war

the North American oil industry barely existed in 1862. the first oil wells on the continent had only been built a couple years prior

let's talk about the dupont family, then

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the dupont grounds in delaware was the first time i ever saw broken glass embedded into mortared brick walls, and that was a historic monument lol

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Suplex Liberace posted:

the long twentieth century by g. arrighi

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Suplex Liberace posted:

liberalism: a counter-history

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee.

And also the Earth Shall Weep.

The HBO adaption of Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee is also really good, if Incredible depressing.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
i liked "facing east from indian country" but everyone i know who's read it detested the prose

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
if you'd rather read about Canadian indigenous genocide, Clearing the Plains by James Daschuk is good

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
thinking about it a little more i would also add ramp hollow, hammer and hoe, and montaillou

and to depart from the theme a little, why not food: a culinary history and words on fire: the unfinished story of yiddish

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oh another good book i forgot is company aytch: or a sideshow of the bigshow. its the biography of a confederate private who was at more major civil war battles than he wasn't

e: also if you watched the civil war you've probably heard half of it already lol

Raskolnikov38 has issued a correction as of 20:19 on Sep 27, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

yo can i get a fact check on this

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
you should NOT belive that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

HootTheOwl posted:

Ok but the poop shortage one better be real.
The guano islands being scraped bare.

That has to be one of the worst jobs on this planet. Read a description of it in 1493 and dear god