Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PostNouveau posted:

Didn't the last thread have someone talking about how they tested positive for covid but they were gonna go to brunch anyway because they felt fine?

That was the GBS thread, and as bizarre as it is, she was completely in compliance with CDC guidance, then and now.

Platystemon posted:

I’m serious. She checked the boxes.

CDC posted:

I think or know I had COVID-19, and I had symptoms

You can be around others after:

• 10 days since symptoms first appeared and
  • 24 hours with no fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and
  • Other symptoms of COVID-19 are improving*
*Loss of taste and smell may persist for weeks or months after recovery and need not delay the end of isolation​

Note that these recommendations do not apply to people with severe COVID-19 or with weakened immune systems (immunocompromised).

She was in her ninth day of symptoms on the twenty‐first and brunched on the twenty‐fifth.

She had never had a fever.

Brunch day minus three had this update:

quote:

I'm finally feeling less like death today, able to get up and walk around a bit. I haven't worked out in over a week, which is weird for me, but hopefully will be able to in a few days. I'm still congested but can taste things and breathe through my nose again. My ears have mostly stopped popping. I'm doing a fourth test in the morning which will hopefully be negative. If it is, some friends from out of town want to meet up. We had plans to meet last weekend but canceled for obvious reasons. I told them it depends on how we feel, but if we do we'll be masked and outdoors.

I'm just glad to not feel like death again. It feels weird having enough energy to actually get up and walk around, or clean the house and do things without feeling like I'm going to fall down.

That’s improvement and the third and final bullet point met. By current CDC guidance, she was good to go.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

That was the GBS thread, and as bizzarre as it is, she was completely in compliance with CDC guidance, then and now.

This does not fill me with confidence in the CDC guidelines.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

This does not fill me with confidence in the CDC guidelines.

They've been pretty consistently bad. It wasn't until very recently that they stopped trying to dissuade the use of KN95s/N95s

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Gio posted:

Question: How are lockdown rules being enforced in Victoria? Sincerely.

Like, is it easy to break the rules? Could you go and see your friend with almost certainty that you’d face zero repercussions?

Yes, and judging from my neighbours it's happening at a much higher rate than the big lockdown last year.

mawarannahr posted:

This is probably mostly true (at this moment). But how does a public health system verify that people are vaccinated at all? The honor system was tried in May. I do not think that was a good move. There could be ways, but I don’t know what.

The Australian government is prepping a vax certificate that will be linked to your Medicare account and MyGov record and upon reopening it's going to be mandatory (in NSW and Victoria at least - the other states are currently COVID-free and not locked down so I'm not sure they've implemented solid plans yet) to be vaccinated to go to a pub or a restaurant or a cinema or pretty much anything.

The problem then becomes about business enforcement. I've seen businesses be strict about mask rules (not that we have many rabid antimaskers anyway) but not about QR code check-ins at all. I can easily see a lot of businesses, many of whom are on the brink of financial collapse, not be too keen to make a scene with customers who refuse to show their certificate or claim a medical exemption or whatever.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Gio posted:

Question: How are lockdown rules being enforced in Victoria? Sincerely.

Like, is it easy to break the rules? Could you go and see your friend with almost certainty that you’d face zero repercussions?

So, the answer to this is complex and it really differs between this year and last year.

The short answer is, policing, and huge fines of about $1700 per breach (around that) and the community informing police of any blatant breaking of the rules.

Last year, there were a lot of police everywhere, but they were definitely more selective about which rules they're going to enforce. For instance, traveling outside of your 5km limit is easy to police: just do a number plate scan and check your registered address. They'd also do random checks on people, and just anecdotally based on where I live, the enforcement was huge. I saw police cars randomly driving around my quiet neighbourhood. It's a pretty low income area though so not sure if it was the same in more affluent areas.

I mean, we had people fined for:

- Driving outside of their 5km limit to play Pokemon Go in their car
- Going to the supermarket twice in one day
- Someone up my street was fined by the cops for being home 5 minutes late after the curfew started. They just happened to be there when he rocked up.

But there are other restrictions that are impossible to enforce. Two hours of exercise a day? Literally no one is able to judge whether you've done that or not, it's an honour system thing. But literally no one I know is honouring it given that, as I mentioned before, it's a ridiculous rule.

As for the curfew, that's an easy one to police.

This year? I think a lot of people have given up on a blanket acquiescence to the rules and are using their own judgment (often wrongly, which is why about half of our new cases are due to illegal household gatherings).

But this is why I say allowing vaccinated people to visit each other would be a help. Because after so long of not being allowed to see anyone, people get desperate. If they were allowed to see people outside, we might see a reduction in the number of illegal gatherings happening inside.

What some posters in this thread fail to understand is that you can't just use a hammer continually for over 230 days and expect people's compliance to stay the same. When people say, "I've been in self-imposed isolation", the key there is self-imposed. You don't have the pressure of the state on you to make sure that you're complying. For instance, if one day you're absolutely losing your mind and you just need to go on a short drive to somewhere and back without leaving the car, you can do that. It's a safety valve that you're allowed to do. I cannot express how poo poo it is that we cannot do that, especially with young kids. You just want to take them on a drive to let them see something different, but that's not allowed.

Not only that, but they closed playgrounds recently (without recording any transmission there btw). That was a massive blow to family mental health.

It's easy to say, "absolutely no movement outside, just get on with it and stop being soft", it's another to actually live it. And if the government actually took the approach of allowing *safe* gathering where COVID exposure is minimal (read: outside) it might actually make a greater impact on transmission as a whole!

StrangeThing fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 26, 2021

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

StrangeThing posted:

So, the answer to this is complex and it really differs between this year and last year.

The short answer is, policing, and huge fines of about $1700 per breach (around that) and the community informing police of any blatant breaking of the rules.

Last year, there were a lot of police everywhere, but they were definitely more selective about which rules they're going to enforce. For instance, traveling outside of your 5km limit is easy to police: just do a number plate scan and check your registered address. They'd also do random checks on people, and just anecdotally based on where I live, the enforcement was huge. I saw police cars randomly driving around my quiet neighbourhood. It's a pretty low income area though so not sure if it was the same in more affluent areas.

I mean, we had people fined for:

- Driving outside of their 5km limit to play Pokemon Go in their car
- Going to the supermarket twice in one day
- Someone up my street was fined by the cops for being home 5 minutes late after the curfew started. They just happened to be there when he rocked up.

But there are other restrictions that are impossible to enforce. Two hours of exercise a day? Literally no one is able to judge whether you've done that or not, it's an honour system thing. But literally no one I know is honouring it given that, as I mentioned before, it's a ridiculous rule.

As for the curfew, that's an easy one to police.

This year? I think a lot of people have given up on a blanket acquiescence to the rules and are using their own judgment (often wrongly, which is why about half of our new cases are due to illegal household gatherings).

But this is why I say allowing vaccinated people to visit each other would be a help. Because after so long of not being allowed to see anyone, people get desperate. If they were allowed to see people outside, we might see a reduction in the number of illegal gatherings happening inside.

What some posters in this thread fail to understand is that you can't just use a hammer continually for over 230 days and expect people's compliance to stay the same. When people say, "I've been in self-imposed isolation", the key there is self-imposed. You don't have the pressure of the state on you to make sure that you're complying. For instance, if one day you're absolutely losing your mind and you just need to go on a short drive to somewhere and back without leaving the car, you can do that. It's a safety valve that you're allowed to do. I cannot express how poo poo it is that we cannot do that, especially with young kids. You just want to take them on a drive to let them see something different, but that's not allowed.

Not only that, but they closed playgrounds recently (without recording any transmission there btw). That was a massive blow to family mental health.

It's easy to say, "absolutely no movement outside, just get on with it and stop being soft", it's another to actually live it. And if the government actually took the approach of allowing *safe* gathering where COVID exposure is minimal (read: outside) it might actually make a greater impact on transmission as a whole!

I understood you perfectly. It sucks, a lot. The alternative is worse. The IK told us to stop so drop it McDunnypost.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I understood you perfectly. It sucks, a lot. The alternative is worse. The IK told us to stop so drop it McDunnypost.

I actually wasn't talking to you! Keep moving.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I wanted people to stop being assholes; you're free to talk about what you wish if you can follow the golden rule. That was a perfectly fine post responding to an honest question and I don't mind that it's there. TBH I don't care if the subject gets dropped or not as people are less lovely to each other.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I live in Melbourne and the lesson I learned from covid19 is that parents really need more societal support because they sound willing to murder-suicide everyone at this point, including their own children.

Meanwhile I could happily live in isolation for another 5 years or a decade if it meant I didn't have to worry about airborne brain damage and a lifetime of disability in a country that has close to no safety net for those who can't work.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

HazCat posted:

I live in Melbourne and the lesson I learned from covid19 is that parents really need more societal support because they sound willing to murder-suicide everyone at this point, including their own children.

I wanted to scream when they closed the playgrounds. It sounds stupid, and minor, but it isn't.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

StrangeThing posted:

The amount of time it's been is definitely a factor but I think it's also that this time around the lockdown is not working* - case numbers keep going up and up and up which was a huge blow to morale. Last time we saw the case numbers go down and down the longer we hung in there, which was a visible daily reminder that our sacrifices were making a difference and that if we pulled it off we could be COVID-zero like all the other states. And we did. This time around it's just hosed no matter what we seem to do, so a lot of people have given up.

*not working in the sense that it isn't helping us get down to zero; it's still making it a lot less worse than it would otherwise be

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

HazCat posted:

You should see what it's like in North America! Responsible parents are largely removing themselves from gatherings, but there's the added bullshit where a ton of people are just doing whatever with zero precautions taken, a ton of people are sick, and your kids are clamoring to also get sick.

Oh, but they're meeting with everyone in their extended family unmasked and indoors ("safely").

Then when someone gets really about to die ill, it's "thoughts and prayers" and everyone moves on.

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE
Can someone please post the latest on how Delta causes brain damage and how it’s statistically different from a major viral non-covid infection that affects other people. Seems like it’s still the boogieman gripping everyone in this thread but I’m just not buying it. Maybe it’s because I’ve already had Covid and have cognitive dissonance and don’t feel any different than before even though I am now statistically dumber. Oh well. If I get covid again will I be even dumber?

HazCat
May 4, 2009

StrangeThing posted:

I wanted to scream when they closed the playgrounds. It sounds stupid, and minor, but it isn't.

It doesn't sound stupid or minor. I have a coworker who is at her wit's end because she literally cannot walk her kid anywhere outside her house because there are playgrounds in every direction and she cannot explain to her 3 year old that they just have to walk past them.

freebooter posted:

This time around it's just hosed no matter what we seem to do, so a lot of people have given up.

Compliance in Melbourne ended once NSW announced their plan was Open Gladys. Nothing we do matters, even if we get back down to zero it only takes one selfish fuckwit* from the North to plunge us right back into lockdown again.

*E: or worker without proper workplace protections, or person whose own personal safety thresholds have been burned out by living in the Open Gladys state. Easy to be tribalistic, but it's as much a systemic failure behind the behaviour in NSW as it is in VIC.

HazCat fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 26, 2021

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Big Slammu posted:

Can someone please post the latest on how Delta causes brain damage and how it’s statistically different from a major viral non-covid infection that affects other people. Seems like it’s still the boogieman gripping everyone in this thread but I’m just not buying it. Maybe it’s because I’ve already had Covid and have cognitive dissonance and don’t feel any different than before even though I am now statistically dumber. Oh well. If I get covid again will I be even dumber?

I'm not sure that it's much different in that regard, just that it's way, way more transmissible than OG covid.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Big Slammu posted:

This is relevant information for other things, but I don't think it matters at all to my personal risk assessment. If anything, knowing that brain damage is just part of the russian roulette of getting an infection would make me even more inclined to avoid exposure to other people's air. No flu no cold no covid. No sir. Not for me.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Big Slammu posted:

people tend to be really loving cautious about potentially life-altering consequences.

Like, lets say you have 2% of a chance to experience "long covid" in a way that causes cognitive impairment

...do you really want to see how lucky you are? sure 1 in 50 is hella unlikely, but uh, hella unlikely russian roulette still has the filled chamber

To be succinct, some people really dont want to test their luck

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

freebooter posted:

Yes, and judging from my neighbours it's happening at a much higher rate than the big lockdown last year.

The Australian government is prepping a vax certificate that will be linked to your Medicare account and MyGov record and upon reopening it's going to be mandatory (in NSW and Victoria at least - the other states are currently COVID-free and not locked down so I'm not sure they've implemented solid plans yet) to be vaccinated to go to a pub or a restaurant or a cinema or pretty much anything.

The problem then becomes about business enforcement. I've seen businesses be strict about mask rules (not that we have many rabid antimaskers anyway) but not about QR code check-ins at all. I can easily see a lot of businesses, many of whom are on the brink of financial collapse, not be too keen to make a scene with customers who refuse to show their certificate or claim a medical exemption or whatever.
We've had this in the EU for months. They should've just copied the whole setup by now. Cases are still pretty low (but climbing) so I felt reasonably safe vaxxed and masked but still.

But yeah as for enforcement. Last weekend I was at an outdoor airshow and everyone was checked for a valid vaccination at admittance. Even though it was at an actual runway with plenty of space and fresh air.

Tuesday I was at a ballet and nobody checked anything, and some people took masks off in their boxes or during the intermission.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Especially when the chance is repeated over and over again. It's one thing to roll the dice to open up the ability to go to restaurants and such. It's an entirely different proposition to roll the dice every single time you go to one. And in a long enough series you will roll every possible outcome.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

But yeah as for enforcement. Last weekend I was at an outdoor airshow and everyone was checked for a valid vaccination at admittance. Even though it was at an actual runway with plenty of space and fresh air.

Tuesday I was at a ballet and nobody checked anything, and some people took masks off in their boxes or during the intermission.

I can definitely imagine huge events like concerts etc having very strict protocols, while smaller and medium businesses flout it and get away with it because no country has the manpower for their police or health agencies to stringently check it or even do enough spot checks to spook most businesses into compliance.

My ideal would be for a brutally uncompromising vaccine mandate on all government services and the larger monopoly industries so that eventually almost everybody gets forced into it because it's impossibly inconvenient not to be vaccinated. If you're not vaxxed, then no airports, schools, or GP surgeries for you.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
The problem seems to be one of what would technically be ok, but when implemented in the real world lead to a collapse. It's like the old speed limit thing. Technically, two vaxxed people meeting in the middle of nowhere is probably fine, but the moment you tell people they can do that, you can be sure that they're not only going to do that but also take things a few steps further, because that's just people, they'll never just go the speed limit.

Add to that the two countries issue, that can be seen most prominently here in the U.S. but is probably happening to at least some degree in most other countries too, which is that while many people have formed a solid mask and social distancing routine, there is a subset of the population who has spent the entire last two years behaving as if everything were completely normal and not altering their habits beyond what they were forced to do. And it only takes a handful of these blase shitheads to ruin it for everyone else. So while 95% of a country can sit inside their house for a year and a half, we know for a fact that not everyone is doing that, otherwise the coronavirus would've been over in a month.

The frustration is understandable though and if feels like something could be done to alleviate the cabin fever. Theoretically the government could do something like organize pod groups or something to that effect through an app. If three vaxxed people only ever come into contact with the same vaxxed three people, then they're unlikely to get COVID-19 since you usually need to come into contact with someone that has it. But the problem is, again, it works a lot better in theory than in the real world, where you have people who aren't going to play ball for the same reason they've been behaving as if the pandemic is over. Edit: Regardless, how a policy is likely to play out in the real world should obviously be factored in to shaping that policy.

Also, one last thing, for those of you with chuddy anti-vax relatives. Just keep working on them. My dad is an old black guy who grew up on a farm and loves conspiracy theories and my step-dad voted for Trump twice, and I was able to
convert both to get the vaccine. With my dad, he'd had a bad reaction to his last flu shot so he was hesitant, I had to explain in detail how vaccines work so he was able to see for himself that it was probably safe. For my step-dad I basically went with what I'd read about in the most recent research on convincing people; which is basically to just agree with them. So in our political discussions I made sure to criticize Biden a lot (wasn't too hard to come up with ideas) while at the same time making reasonable arguments in favor of the vaccine. I showed them Arnold's fb post on whether or not to take the vaccine and it's one of the most basic, and effective arguments I've read. I also pipelined them a lot of r/LeopardsteMyFace anti-vaxx schadenfreude to group chats. One of the most important things to keep in mind is that most people aren't as plugged into the pandemic as we are. They're not following this stuff on twitter and reading every new Coronavirus article by The Atlantic and Wapo. So a lot of the urgency is just not there for them because so much of what's going on isn't on their radar. But I've never seen people sober up faster than when I sat them down and had them read r/LeopardsAteMyFace for a while.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 26, 2021

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit
We shouldn’t make laws based on the idea that some people might break them. The slippery slope concept is bunk.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Looking at a graph like this

definitely doesn't make me think, "Gosh, those anti-COVID measures are too stringent and we should be relaxing them now"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Open container laws are ridiculous.

The world’s biggest lightweight could down a bottle of beer without going over legal BAC, so why don’t we allow it?

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Gort posted:

Looking at a graph like this

definitely doesn't make me think, "Gosh, those anti-COVID measures are too stringent and we should be relaxing them now"

No. But it definitely makes me think we should get rid of rules that make no sense.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

StrangeThing posted:

No. But it definitely makes me think we should get rid of rules that make no sense.

okay for real do you understand the difference between taking a particular set of circumstances in microcosm, and a state having to craft a set of laws that will be applied to the entire citizenry?

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

A big flaming stink posted:

okay for real do you understand the difference between taking a particular set of circumstances in microcosm, and a state having to craft a set of laws that will be applied to the entire citizenry?

Yes. That doesn’t justify creating laws on the basis of “we know people will obey these, but they might use them as reasons to break other laws”.

You should not outlaw reasonable safe behaviour. End of story.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

StrangeThing posted:

Yes. That doesn’t justify creating laws on the basis of “we know people will obey these, but they might use them as reasons to break other laws”.

Lol, whatever, a society can ban whatever the gently caress it wants. Your situation sucks but your conclusions are equally f'd up.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I have forgotten to share a very good pun with this thread.

Red Dead Ivermectin.

That is all.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Gio posted:

Also, for the record…

It's funny how there is such clear moral judgement here. How is a restaurant (you know, unmasked by definition) worse than a movie theatre (which is actually possible to do masked). I also love how unmasked international plane trips are cool. Pretty cool their protestant performativism and class is coming through. The class of international travelers still needs to travel internationally! Shocker.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 26, 2021

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

StrangeThing posted:

Well is freebooter correct? Judging by the case numbers I’d guess he is, in which case the actual problem is consistent enforcement of existing NPIs. And if he’s right—go ahead and break the rules, no one is stopping you and you’re torturing yourself for no good reason.

I mean, as an outside observer it looks as though Victoria and NSW if not Australia altogether will eventually lose control of outbreaks and NPIs will gradually be lifted as the government just gives up—which is what has happened in every country that hasn’t pursued a Zero Covid model. Zero Covid is still well within reach, but—sadly—I don’t see Victoria or NSW succeeding.

Why aren’t you more worried about that outcome?

I live in the US and I don’t feel free at all. I occasionally see family and friends, but it’s limited and always weighed against potential risk since the spread of Covid is completely out of control. I don’t play ice hockey like I once did. My job as a teacher is exceptionally more difficult.

The only way you can have “freedom” here is by accepting that you will get Covid and not care. For many, those with significant comorbidities, those who are immunocompromised etc., that isn’t even an option.

Gio fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 26, 2021

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Vasukhani posted:

It's funny how there is such clear moral judgement here. How is a restaurant (you know, unmasked by definition) worse than a movie theatre (which is actually possible to do masked). I also love how unmasked international plane trips are cool. Pretty cool their protestant performativism and class is coming through. The class of international travelers still needs to travel internationally! Shocker.

I would say a theater is less safe as you are spending much more time in a room with many more people per cubic foot of air. Most of the patrons will not be using a mask in either setting.

If you are wearing any sort of respirator at the theater, it’s probably safe. But lol if you think a cloth or surgical mask is doin work.

And as for planes the air circulation is significantly better than any restaurant or theater. Again, wearing a respirator kn95-elastomeric is probably a lot safer than eating or watching a movie

nexous fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 26, 2021

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Gio posted:

Well is freebooter correct? Judging by the case numbers I’d guess he is, in which case the actual problem is consistent enforcement of existing NPIs. And if he’s right—go ahead and break the rules, no one is stopping you and you’re torturing yourself for no good reason.

I mean, as an outside observer it looks as though Victoria and NSW if not Australia altogether will eventually lose control of outbreaks and NPIs will gradually be lifted as the government just gives up—which is what has happened in every country that hasn’t pursued a Zero Covid model. Zero Covid is still well within reach, but—sadly—I don’t see Victoria or NSW succeeding.

Why aren’t you more worried about that outcome?

I live in the US and I don’t feel free at all. I occasionally see family and friends, but it’s limited and always weighed against potential risk since the spread of Covid is completely out of control. I don’t play ice hockey like I once did. My job as a teacher is exceptionally more difficult.

The only way you can have “freedom” here is by accepting that you will get Covid and not care. For many, those with significant comorbidities, those who are immunocompromised etc., that isn’t even an option.

Australia gave up on COVID zero back in August. It's no longer the strategy on the national level, because they believe it's untenable, at least partly due to the delta variant:

https://www.economist.com/asia/2021/08/28/australia-is-ending-its-zero-covid-strategy
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-58406526

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

nexous posted:

I would say a theater is less safe as you are spending much more time in a room with many more people per cubic foot of air. Most of the patrons will not be using a mask in either setting.

If you are wearing any sort of respirator at the theater, it’s probably safe. But lol if you think a cloth or surgical mask is doin work.

And as for planes the air circulation is significantly better than any restaurant or theater. Again, wearing a respirator kn95-elastomeric is probably a lot safer than eating or watching a movie

Theaters can mandate masks and all of them around here do. Restaurants cannot meaningfully do that if they have indoor dining. They needed to be closed down two years ago. Planes do not allow elastomerics because they scare the people too much. Shouldn't we be trying to limit our movement as much as possible anyway? International travel for fun seems like the opposite of that.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
All the theaters here do not require masks if eating or drinking as there is no point in running a theater as the money comes from concessions.

Kn95, n95 masks etc are respirators, just not elastomeric. And you can switch on the plane.

I don’t think eating in a restaurant is a good idea or going on a plane, I just think there are worse ideas, such as going to a popular movie in a theater.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Movies as mostly garbage and bad and can be enjoyed at home. Why do people still go to an arguably worse experience? At home you can pause and not hear other assholes. In a group setting you can talk as loud as you want with those close to you. And it’s a lot cheaper.

Going inside to eat at a restaurant only exist for people to pretend they hold power over another individual and to be served. Just pick the food up and eat at home.

I think only going to a bar is understandable for gathering and talking with strangers in your community. I’m not saying I recommend it (I don’t), but at least that was makes sense at a “I’m not a subhuman piece of poo poo, I just need social interaction” level.

And lol and wanting to be maskless for any travel in an aircraft.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Australia gave up on COVID zero back in August. It's no longer the strategy on the national level, because they believe it's untenable, at least partly due to the delta variant:

https://www.economist.com/asia/2021/08/28/australia-is-ending-its-zero-covid-strategy
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-58406526

Which isn’t true (Delta can’t be contained).

Would I be correct in assuming that zero covid is lost because it just doesn’t have the buy-in from the population it once did, and the government isn’t willing to exert its’ authority to the extent necessary to continue pursuing this model?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Going inside to eat at a restaurant only exist for people to pretend they hold power over another individual and to be served. Just pick the food up and eat at home.

Imagine paying 18 dollars to eat of microwave meal out of Styrofoam. Please don't support restaurants.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 26, 2021

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Vasukhani posted:

Imagine paying 18 dollars to eat of microwave meal out of Styrofoam. Please don't support restaurants.

Better yet, cook at home. If you want that “restaurant quality” just add a bunch of butter.

Cooking is incredibly easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Cooking is incredibly easy.

I find it easy and fun and good. My wife, who has a culinary degree, needs to be supervised in the kitchen or dinners gonna be bad.

So what I’m saying is make sure if you can’t cook marry someone who can.