Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
An iron mace is really handy in the crypts anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Goddamnit, why are my bees not producing honey? They're happy - I've got them out on a platform with no cover and when I check on them it says so. It's been far longer than 20 minutes realtime (it's been several hours) and not a single bit of honey produced.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vasudus posted:

There’s a bounty mod (nexus only I think, not thunderstore) that I tried yesterday and it’s pretty cool. Basically turns the trader into a gambler + bounty board. I burned my 3k coins on gambling and now I’m running around the world doing procgen bounties.

I’m still barely into Iron. I really should progress a bit.

edit: speaking of which, I will most likely do Bonemass at some point today. I almost always use a Bow so I understand I'm basically hosed. Will the Staghammer do the trick or should I go about getting a fancy Iron Mace? Obviously also going to use the best food and mead and so on, just not sure about the combat aspect.

That sounds neat. Could you link it? I can’t find it on nexus. Do you get anything from the bounties or does that need something like the loot mod?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Goddamnit, why are my bees not producing honey? They're happy - I've got them out on a platform with no cover and when I check on them it says so. It's been far longer than 20 minutes realtime (it's been several hours) and not a single bit of honey produced.

Has it been raining?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

That sounds neat. Could you link it? I can’t find it on nexus. Do you get anything from the bounties or does that need something like the loot mod?

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/1401

pork never goes bad posted:

Has it been raining?

Sometimes? Does that make the honey wash away?

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

For those that like QoL mods, I've used this new one for about 2 minutes and I love the hell out it: Ore Support. It shows the boundaries on pieces of large ore/stone deposits so you can find what's still supporting poo poo that won't collapse. Also helps a ton in tracking down every last piece of the deposit. The boxes only show up when you first start mining it.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Vasudus posted:

I always do a 2m by 2m by 1m box. You can place a floor on top of the walls and it clips through the hive but the top part sticks through so the raycast up doesn't hit anything and it still produces. It seems to confuse greydwarves as they walk up to the boxes all the time but can't figure it out so they just stand there until I get around to killing them.

My base also looks like someone dropped a giant beehive on a long house. The bees are happy.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Vasudus posted:

It doesn't make it wash away per se, but they won't produce in the rain. They go to sleep. I've definitely had days I've spent building and checked the honey in the morning and there's none when it rained most of the day but not all and wondered if the production time needs to be a continuous string of non rain or if it'd add up ten minutes of non rain here and ten minutes there, if you know what I mean. But other than rain I've no idea why they won't produce. Might be worth grabbing one and moving it elsewhere to see if it would produce on its own.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Vasudus posted:

https://beemission.com/blogs/news/do-bees-fly-in-the-rain

"Honeybees CAN fly in the rain, but they prefer not to. They usually stay inside the hive until the rain passes and it clears up."

Would YOU want to work in the rain?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I like the new cartography table. For one, because it's a neat and immersive way to share your map data with your buddies.

And also because it works almost exactly like I envisioned it, when I sent a suggestion to the devs via the in-game feedback thing way back in February or March, like "Would be cool if we could share map data, here's a spitballed idea how it could work." I even called it "cartography table" in my message.

Now, it's entirely possible that the devs came up with it on their own, instead of prompted by my suggestion. It's a pretty logical way to implement a widely requested feature. But it's still a nice thought, that a game played by millions of people has my idea in it. :unsmith:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I really wish there was a better way to handle server progression. My group of 10-ish friends is once again on the verge of splitting servers because some people just want to slowly build and are still on like leather armor and some were already full silver before even killing bonemass ( a big aoe mace like stagbreaker will return a "too hard" message if there is silver around you if you hit it in the mountains). Some of the more dedicated people are already itching to kill yaguluth while others would have their bases completely obliterated if fulings spawned nearby.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
So it turns out that I was doing things correctly. OdinPlusQoL for some reason has a default honey timer of -1. Flipped that to 0 and 20 minutes later hey hey we have honey!

I did uh...9 Bonemasses because I had A LOT of bones saved up. Turns out he's incredibly easy. I almost hosed up my first attempt because I incorrectly guessed what his "powerful attack you have to time" was.

Got some silver! Made a cape so now the frost resistance mead I made is now useless. Except I have to go back to the swamps to mine some guck.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

joepinetree posted:

I really wish there was a better way to handle server progression. My group of 10-ish friends is once again on the verge of splitting servers because some people just want to slowly build and are still on like leather armor and some were already full silver before even killing bonemass ( a big aoe mace like stagbreaker will return a "too hard" message if there is silver around you if you hit it in the mountains). Some of the more dedicated people are already itching to kill yaguluth while others would have their bases completely obliterated if fulings spawned nearby.

It may not be viable but you can always use console commands to flip the flags that determine what events spawn.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
A mod just went up on nexus a couple days ago that purports to selectively kill, or make rarer or commoner, events on an individually configurable basis. No idea if it works without horrendous bugs or not though, I'm not daring enough to install new/unknown mods.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Frost resist Potions aren't useless at all even with a wolf cape, because if you die then that wolf cape may be stuck on the mountain as well and the Potions can help you stay alive long enough to scramble back to your corpse.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Also useful if you find yourself wet in the mountains.

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

joepinetree posted:

This game is really divisive in how it separates minmaxers and chill dudes. It is funny to see the minmaxers lovely builds though lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm a chill builder dude who sucks real bad at building and you're triggering me

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

Post your builds!!!

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

gently caress Man posted:

This game is really divisive in how it separates minmaxers and chill dudes. It is funny to see the minmaxers lovely builds though lol

gently caress off, I'm too busy OWNING to do anything besides toss every workbench upgrade piece in the corner by my bed in my square 1 story house. Now excuse me, I gotta go feed my hogs in their dodecagon shaped pin.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

joepinetree posted:

I don't mean to suggest that any of your friends are "playing the game wrong", but shouldn't the fast progressing players cheese new equipment for the whole group and not just themselves? I mean, you're all friends on the same permanent server, you're all in it together.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The mob spawn rate now is like 3 times what it was before the patch, right? It's not just me, right?

If I don't lay out a huge perimeter of like 15 workbenches first I can't go 15 seconds of trying to build something without suicidal greylings interrupting me now, it's maddening.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Yeah there definitely seem to be a lot more random stragglers, and they seem to love tearing apart my crops now the second they realize they can't reach me.

Super cool that all we got after 6 months was "making inventory management even more of a chore by pointlessly cluttering the recipe list" and "monsters will prioritize your poo poo up just to spite you". Game is still fun but that seems to be in spite of what the devs want, not because of it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't mean to suggest that any of your friends are "playing the game wrong", but shouldn't the fast progressing players cheese new equipment for the whole group and not just themselves? I mean, you're all friends on the same permanent server, you're all in it together.

It's not a matter of getting the gear. There is plenty of iron and silver to go around. But I'd say that part of the charm of the game, especially those playing for the first time, is precisely doing things that involve some risk*. Some people want the excitement of going into the swamp in troll hide and having to get the hell out of there before wraiths spawn. Of course, it's one thing to die several times in your first trip to the swamp. It's another to have your base leveled by goblins. And that would be something that would be entirely possible to manage if not for the raids that spawn. Ill check out the mods suggested above and see if they work for us.

As someone who did a playthrough the first time around, I am just looking for the social aspect of it. Half the fun of cool builds is showing it to your friends.

* My first great experience with this game was when me and 3 friends, completely unspoiled, went into the swam for the first time. We died, and were in the middle of trying to build a raft to get to our bodies without being killed by leeches when it became night and we saw a wraith for the first time (which we didn't even know was a thing).

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

joepinetree posted:

It's not a matter of getting the gear. There is plenty of iron and silver to go around. But I'd say that part of the charm of the game, especially those playing for the first time, is precisely doing things that involve some risk*. Some people want the excitement of going into the swamp in troll hide and having to get the hell out of there before wraiths spawn. Of course, it's one thing to die several times in your first trip to the swamp. It's another to have your base leveled by goblins. And that would be something that would be entirely possible to manage if not for the raids that spawn. Ill check out the mods suggested above and see if they work for us.

As someone who did a playthrough the first time around, I am just looking for the social aspect of it. Half the fun of cool builds is showing it to your friends.

* My first great experience with this game was when me and 3 friends, completely unspoiled, went into the swam for the first time. We died, and were in the middle of trying to build a raft to get to our bodies without being killed by leeches when it became night and we saw a wraith for the first time (which we didn't even know was a thing).

I 100% agree with this sentiment. I was trying to find everything without guides or spoiling it for myself and had my poopsocking friends come in and chuck iron and silver gear to me after they read a bunch of guides. Made my progression feel a little pointless.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Jabarto posted:

Yeah there definitely seem to be a lot more random stragglers, and they seem to love tearing apart my crops now the second they realize they can't reach me.

Super cool that all we got after 6 months was "making inventory management even more of a chore by pointlessly cluttering the recipe list" and "monsters will prioritize your poo poo up just to spite you". Game is still fun but that seems to be in spite of what the devs want, not because of it.

Everyone I play with really likes the flexibility of split health and stamina foods, what don't you like about it?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Top Tier Health foods:
Serpent Stew (80) - Lox Meat Pie (75) - Cooked serpent meat (70)

Top Tier Stam foods:
Bread (75) - Blood Pudding (70) - Eye Scream (65)

I usually eat a Serpent Stew and Bread, and either a Lox Pie or Blood Pudding depending on if I'm in the plains or not.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Reik posted:

Everyone I play with really likes the flexibility of split health and stamina foods, what don't you like about it?

Carrying food to be prepared for needing either max stamina or max health now takes more inventory slots than before!

I guess it only comes up if you go on adventures where you can't drop a portal and go home the moment you get tired, which honestly the game doesn't really give strong reasons to.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Reik posted:

Foods used to provide health and stamina already. By skewing food to essentially give only health or stamina with a pittance of the other it leads to usually needing to haul around more than just 3 foods.

There's also the problem of splitting one item (meat) into 3 different items (boar, deer, and wolf meat). We're already super tight on inventory slots as it is.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You're right, I played on a server up to mountain/plains biome and dropped when it was clear some people were reading guides and progressing without us.

Now, on a hearth and home server with new players, I keep quiet about what I know and let them set the pace. We're on day 150 and might fight the Elder soon?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think valheim has a really nice atmosphere to it and i feel compelled to take it in more compared to other games where i wouldn't mind shooting ahead as much. it feels better in this game to set up a cozy base.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Now, to defend my friends, I understand where each side is coming from.

The super advanced ones aren't trying to "beat" the game. They wanted to kill the elder because to do stone builds you need iron. They wanted to beat bonemass because it would allow them to get the stuff to build in the mountains. They want to kill moder (which is the current sticking point) to get the artisan table that is required for some of the new cooking things, like the oven. So I get that. Much like I get not wanting to be handed maxed out padded iron gear and a draugr fang.

For the most part, we've been able to reconcile the two. People who want to slowly progress in gear-appropriate content have an entire section of the map for them, that the most progressed don't even explore, so they can have the experience on their own. The sticking point really is the invasions. If the section of the world cordoned off for them could be made impervious to invasions, at least the most advanced ones, we could really have the best situation.

I think we've agreed that whenever mistlands comes out we will do 2 parallel worlds, the build one where we don't progress bosses at all, and the other one where just just focus on bosses. Switching boss powers would require a change of servers and be annoying, but that would solve the issue. If one of the mods suggested above can fix it, even better.

edit:

litany of gulps posted:

You can bring the boss trophies to your building world and get access to the powers without having to deal with invasions.

nice to know

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 27, 2021

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
You can bring the boss trophies to your building world and get access to the powers without having to deal with invasions.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's a shame the boss trophies, when mounted on a wall, don't flag that areas for the next raids.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I carry 2 stam 2 health food normally, one inventory slot seems worth it for the flexibility. Most of the time I'm hitting my weight capacity before slot capacity anyways.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Eric the Mauve posted:

The mob spawn rate now is like 3 times what it was before the patch, right? It's not just me, right?

If I don't lay out a huge perimeter of like 15 workbenches first I can't go 15 seconds of trying to build something without suicidal greylings interrupting me now, it's maddening.

I've seen screenshots of a thimble worth of water being surrounded by 30 Necks

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jabarto posted:

This is sadly very much true.

If I thought they were genuinely, knowingly trolling us all by making the changes in a patch called "Hearth & Home" mostly have the effect of making it more of a pain in the rear end than ever to build and maintain a cool base, I'd think that was hilariously awesome. But I'm pretty sure they're unaware of the irony.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 28, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

joepinetree posted:

For the most part, we've been able to reconcile the two. People who want to slowly progress in gear-appropriate content have an entire section of the map for them, that the most progressed don't even explore, so they can have the experience on their own. The sticking point really is the invasions. If the section of the world cordoned off for them could be made impervious to invasions, at least the most advanced ones, we could really have the best situation.

As someone who is absolutely in the "let's push bosses camp", it sounds to me like the base builders should build a more defensible base. :colbert:

but also a simple ha-ha will make your base impervious to goblins. they are arguably less dangerous to a base than trolls are.

But also I do agree it would be a good feature, but not one you're ever going to get from these devs

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Seriously, just Google the world seed that has all of the bosses within a moment's run from the spawn. Kill the bosses in that world, take the trophies and progression items back to the world where you build bases. Enjoy literally the best of both worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I’m now pretty decently into silver. Got uh…12+ dragon eggs at this point. Thank gently caress I modded the Karve to have a 5x5 inventory because if you think I’m traveling 30+ minutes four times or more to get that many eggs you’re out of your goddamn mind. Got a bit more exploring I want to do - the mountains that actually have a Moder, and then I guess I’ll do that boss.

Thinking very strongly about building a fuckoff huge stone and iron castle in the plains after. I found the last boss spawn point so I might just set up shop there. Since you can’t grow flax and barley outside the plains I’m going to need at least a tiny outpost. Might as well go big.