Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Yvonmukluk posted:

Huh, WGA are doing plastic WW2 Italians.

Fucks sake it took all of two comments before people were sperging about the point slope of the helmets being inaccurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Warlord released the picture art for their plastic Italians today as well, continuing the trend of Wargames Atlantic putting out a plastic set right alongside a competitor.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Springfield Fatts posted:

Fucks sake it took all of two comments before people were sperging about the point slope of the helmets being inaccurate.

Still better than what happened with Panzer Lehr release.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I just have missed that, what happened?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Class Warcraft posted:

Warlord released the picture art for their plastic Italians today as well, continuing the trend of Wargames Atlantic putting out a plastic set right alongside a competitor.

Clearly their minis espionage division are working overtime.

I think this is the first time they’ve released a plastic set concurrently with Warlord. With both the Resistance and Panzer Lehr they were competing with metal minis.

What’s the verdict on which are better Italians, or is it too early to call?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Clearly their minis espionage division are working overtime.

I think this is the first time they’ve released a plastic set concurrently with Warlord. With both the Resistance and Panzer Lehr they were competing with metal minis.

What’s the verdict on which are better Italians, or is it too early to call?

I don't think Warlord have even shown the minis, just the box art? the Wargames Atlantic looks... better and better. Which is a nice trend. Warlord's newer kits are also generally better than their older ones, which is nice, but they're kind of boxed in with the chunky look. So in this case it might very well end up as a personal preference deal rather than one set being objectively better.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Class Warcraft posted:

I just have missed that, what happened?

Within ten comments you could fill in a grog bingo card. Some were pissed because the coats had the wrong number of buttons on the facing (maybe), and a "living history reenactor" who "mainly does Germans" was talking about how you had to keep modern political correctness out of wargames.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

People were losing their poo poo over some inaccuracy in the Jerry can IIRC. It was seriously the worst its it's been in a while.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

moths posted:

People were losing their poo poo over some inaccuracy in the Jerry can IIRC. It was seriously the worst its it's been in a while.

Yeah, in one way you can't be too picky. At the same time they also at some point showed a preview of a French old guard with a ton of blaring mistakes, so I can kinda understand where the button-counting frustration comes from. They even pulled the "oh we didn't SAY it's a french old guard, it might be something else" card when it was obviously just a sculptor that had no idea of the source material.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Yvonmukluk posted:

Huh, WGA are doing plastic WW2 Italians.

Just in time for me to work on my old metal Italians.

:toot:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Cessna posted:

Just in time for me to work on my old metal Italians.

:toot:

haha yeah, same. :D I'm still going through the G.E.G. Alpini I bought ages ago, and have been playing BA with. Oh well, I'm happy with the guys I got - they look pretty good

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lilljonas posted:

Yeah, in one way you can't be too picky. At the same time they also at some point showed a preview of a French old guard with a ton of blaring mistakes, so I can kinda understand where the button-counting frustration comes from. They even pulled the "oh we didn't SAY it's a french old guard, it might be something else" card when it was obviously just a sculptor that had no idea of the source material.

You don't mean the not-Old Guard sci-fi models they released? :v:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

You don't mean the not-Old Guard sci-fi models they released? :v:

Lol no that’d be an interesting topic though. This was from one of the newsletter previews some months ago. We haven’t seen the old guard since then (many complained), but I think they plan to make it into one of their rank-and-file boxes for napoleonics.

They even got the cuffs completely wrong! :O

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Plastic

French

When

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Plastic

French

When

If you mean plastic WW2 French Wargames Atlantic already released them a couple months ago.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Shout out to that time I bought an entire Saga warband and painted it and then never even got them to the board

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Major Isoor posted:

haha yeah, same. :D I'm still going through the G.E.G. Alpini I bought ages ago, and have been playing BA with. Oh well, I'm happy with the guys I got - they look pretty good

I'm almost finished cleaning them up, filing off mold lines and such:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Still not heard back about whether SP2 is being played at my local club, looks like my failback position is going to be Bolt Action - hopefully I can get some games of Chain of Command in.

Is there a similarly minimum meaningful game-size for Bolt Action? I see the starter armies on Warlord Games website are 750-1000pts ?

What's the defacto standard for plastics that don't look like circa '92 Cadians? Perry?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Do you mean non-heroic proportions?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cessna posted:

I'm almost finished cleaning them up, filing off mold lines and such:

Mine are still boxed... :negative:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Southern Heel posted:

Still not heard back about whether SP2 is being played at my local club, looks like my failback position is going to be Bolt Action - hopefully I can get some games of Chain of Command in.

Is there a similarly minimum meaningful game-size for Bolt Action? I see the starter armies on Warlord Games website are 750-1000pts ?

What's the defacto standard for plastics that don't look like circa '92 Cadians? Perry?

Perry are great, Warlord’s newer stuff is pretty good and Wargames Atlantic are also great. It kind of depends what army you want.

Perry do 8th Army, Afrika Korps and US Infantry. WGA currently do French Resistance/Partisans, Panzer Lehr, and early war French, and Warlord do plastics for most of the major powers, but their older stuff is quite fiddly and they tend towards heroic scale unlike the other two.

Warlord is serviceable, but if another manufacturer covers part of their range it’s worth looking at the comparison.

Also Rubicon Models are great for tank kits.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

So I'm familiar with skirmish, mass skirmish, and mass battle, but today I just encountered someone describing a ruleset as "grand tactical" which is something I hadn't heard before. Which lead me to wonder what are all the various adjectives that are out there describing different rulesets and what do they mean?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Class Warcraft posted:

So I'm familiar with skirmish, mass skirmish, and mass battle, but today I just encountered someone describing a ruleset as "grand tactical" which is something I hadn't heard before. Which lead me to wonder what are all the various adjectives that are out there describing different rulesets and what do they mean?

For grand tactical, I'm either picturing nuclear war (tactical decision making, grand scale), tactical level skirmish game that follows a tactical level throughout an entire war, or a war game where you individually move every single troop in the entire war.

Tactical vs strategic: tactical refers to forces in contact and the decisions being made at that level. These are the choices a battlefield commander might make to gain the upper hand: flank here, move here, shoot there, suppress there. Strategic level refers to large scale decisions as well as things like procurement and doctrine. Land troops in France this summer, push eastwards, buy nukes, develop a separate air branch.

Advanced Squad Leader and Close Combat are tactical games--you're making placement decision, movement decisions on the individual level. Axis and allies is a strategic game--you're focusing on buying air, land, or sea forces with different benefits or restrictions, you're picking theatres and combats vaguely describe some sort of giant operation that takes place in regions of tens of thousands of square miles.

Grand strategy usually refers to nation-state level conflict. Think of The Great Game. A weird side effect of that, however, is that games that portray that have noticed that nation states tend to be unequal entities in unique multi-faceted situations. To simulate that, games often break away from straight contest win conditions and have a more freeform play-style. A game of Europa Universalis, noted grand strategy game, can be played from the point of view of a major colonial power vying against other major colonial powers, but it can also be from the point of view of a small power trying to maintain relevance among giants. I think, like how roguelike has changed its meaning, has slowly changed the meaning of grand strategy in the context of wargames, so it's anyone's guess what a "grand tactical" game might mean.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

As grand tactical I might also imagine something like a 6mm napoleonics game where you play an entire corps on corps battle, but the smallest units are battalions or something so that you basically coordinate a ton of smaller, tactical encounters. Compared to, say, pushing around bases representing brigades on a hex map. Something like Blücher is what I imagine when I hear the term. But then some people use the term for any ruleset where you have several brigades or divisions represented on the board, so I dunno.

Basically tactical games = it matters how and where you move the men on a battlefield, what formations they are in, if a cavalry sqadron charges in the rear or from the front etc. Strategic games = you're invading Prussia in 1806, where do you want Bernadotte and his corps to be next week?

I have a hard time imagining what a non-grand scale strategy game would look like. Using the same 1806 example, maybe one where you're a battalion commander and has to plan a march that's interspersed with small skirmishes. You don't play the actual fights - instead focusing on allocating resources, promoting men through the ranks as you lose NCOs, and plan ahead to actually reach Jena with a fighting force and not a disintegrating mess. Could work as a eurogame meets RPG kind of thing?

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 25, 2021

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Ok, so it wasn't just confusing for me. Good to know.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

lilljonas posted:

I have a hard time imagining what a non-grand scale strategy game would look like. Using the same 1806 example, maybe one where you're a battalion commander and has to plan a march that's interspersed with small skirmishes. You don't play the actual fights - instead focusing on allocating resources, promoting men through the ranks as you lose NCOs, and plan ahead to actually reach Jena with a fighting force and not a disintegrating mess. Could work as a eurogame meets RPG kind of thing?

That sounds fascinating and I'm really into it. A Euro of multiple fellow officers, vying to arrive to battle earliest / in best shape / with specific formations ready / having defeated the most enemy units.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Grand Tactics is essentially an older term for operational art.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

C... posted:

That sounds fascinating and I'm really into it. A Euro of multiple fellow officers, vying to arrive to battle earliest / in best shape / with specific formations ready / having defeated the most enemy units.

Tell me more

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think the "grand strategy" genre includes taking the political considerations of who/what/why/when you go to war with people, while just "strategy" starts with the war as a given and asks you to execute a large part of it. like empire of the sun is the entire war in the pacific, but it's a war that starts with pearl harbor and ends with or without unconditional surrender depending on who wins

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've only ever heard "grand" in the context of 10mm, like how "epic" became synonymous with 6mm.

I think Old Glory still uses the term grand scale.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Goon project! :P

No but seriously, that sounds kind of like Grizzled https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/171668/grizzled but you could probably increase the level from a handful of soldiers to a battalion and add some other types of headaches.

You could even have different types of corps and division commanders causing different kinds of "threats". Like under Davout or Lannes you're unlikely to be sent on worthless counter-marches back and forth, but on the other hand you might end up on a 24 hour nightmare march because your commander saw an enemy weakness to exploit.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 26, 2021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Dangit, I knew I was forgetting to buy something.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

lilljonas posted:

Goon project! :P

No but seriously, that sounds kind of like Grizzled https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/171668/grizzled but you could probably increase the level from a handful of soldiers to a battalion and add some other types of headaches.

You could even have different types of corps and division commanders causing different kinds of "threats". Like under Davout or Lannes you're unlikely to be sent on worthless counter-marches back and forth, but on the other hand you might end up on a 24 hour nightmare march because your commander saw an enemy weakness to exploit.

Working off the British army way of organizing would be fun - you bought your commission, and now your trying to make cash off it - so when you cash out in ten years time, you get more than you paid.

Every year (turn?) you would get the money from the government to raise, equip and train your troops, but, being a 18th Century officer, you cut as many corners as possible, as every penny you spend, your giving away victory points - get cheap rations for your troops, and you save some cash, skimp on training to keep the powder costs down.

The thing, you are at war, so you also need to have your troops good enough to fight - now, if your regiment does well in war, its glory goes up, so when you cash out at the end of the game, you get more when you sell your commission.

Players would be balancing short term vs long term gains, then seeing who cashes out the best.

It would be a fun and thematic game, especially when you have to cut the rum ration because you lost the money playing cards at the officers club.....

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Working off the British army way of organizing would be fun - you bought your commission, and now your trying to make cash off it - so when you cash out in ten years time, you get more than you paid.

Every year (turn?) you would get the money from the government to raise, equip and train your troops, but, being a 18th Century officer, you cut as many corners as possible, as every penny you spend, your giving away victory points - get cheap rations for your troops, and you save some cash, skimp on training to keep the powder costs down.

The thing, you are at war, so you also need to have your troops good enough to fight - now, if your regiment does well in war, its glory goes up, so when you cash out at the end of the game, you get more when you sell your commission.

Players would be balancing short term vs long term gains, then seeing who cashes out the best.

It would be a fun and thematic game, especially when you have to cut the rum ration because you lost the money playing cards at the officers club.....

Now we're cooking with fire. You could also have different deployments, with a risk/reward balance and different random events that hits different theaters. Do you try to get sent to the Peninsular battles or to the colonies? Will a crippling malaria epedemic strike while you're in the West Indies?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

lilljonas posted:

Now we're cooking with fire. You could also have different deployments, with a risk/reward balance and different random events that hits different theaters. Do you try to get sent to the Peninsular battles or to the colonies? Will a crippling malaria epedemic strike while you're in the West Indies?

Tracking the battalions should be a thing, trackers for morale, experience and strength. things should be cheaper when at home stations - so a good place to raise and train troops, but with no chance for glory. so you get shipped out to the Colonies, win a few battles but take some heavy losses - do you stay in the colonies and pay the higher price to replace those losses, or come home and rebuild, forgoing the glory?

You could also have a bag full of junior officers, who could staff your regiments - either raised from the ranks or buying their own commissions.
That rich doofus who just paid 2k to join your regiment, but is bringing down your morale, hmm, this turns mission is to breach the walls - lets see if I can get him killed now I have his cash.....

Okay, I think I'm going to have to start writing this stuff down......

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Grey Hunter posted:

Okay, I think I'm going to have to start writing this stuff down......

I'm here for it!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Would you be able to go to sea or is that the spinoff?

A British naval farce / resource squandering card game would probably be A LOT of people's jam, and all the art is public domain.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

That sounds like a (equally fun) spin off - try not to get scurvy or have your crew mutiny.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I love it. Maybe separate themed versions of the base game? One could be Peninsular (with British and French having different crappy things happening to them, both sides struggling with supplies, guerillas etc), one at sea, etc. French could have standing within the Republic as an alternative victory point tracker vs the British monetary victory.

I want to be a miserable French colonel, stuck in a Spanish backwater town where constant guerilla raids slowly deplete my numbers, agonizing over whether it's even worth sending out my voltigeurs to guard a supply train and get shot at in the mountain passes for the third time this year or if I should just trust blind luck that the supplies make it through on their own. Meanwhile, Jerome is bitching at me that half my men no longer have functioning pants. Will we be rotated back to France before we're all dead?

I can kind of see it as a card-driven game where you can throw obstacles at each other too. The goal would be to make it just miserable enough while still making it possible for all players to survive to the end in most games.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm over here trying to my duty for the Empire and that bastard Jerome won't get out of my hair