Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Plastik posted:

I can and do get coal working in under two hours, and in no way does that change or invalidate my point :confused:

E: I just want biomass to be useful as backup power once you've moved past it, rather than rapidly fading into near uselessness before being completely eclipsed in the late game.

I mean, wish granted? When I top up my burners before heading off to put Coal up, they function as a backup power source until I get serious about oil, without my ever touching them again. I don’t think I’ve ever used the flywheel power storage devices, just my initial burner array.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I always thought the idea the game was conveying is ‘lol corporate interests don’t care about environment!’

There’s lots of little subtle jokes throughout the entire game.

So of course FICIT wouldn’t have that tech or approve of it.

My very first play through I was all ‘this is such a nice planet I want to be eco friendly unlike factorio.’

But when I couldn’t automate eco friendly means of power I got the large hint ‘homie don’t play that way’ vibe from the game.

I can respect that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I take it I need one freight platform per freight car. No tomfoolery of unloading multiple cars in one platform?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I take it I need one freight platform per freight car. No tomfoolery of unloading multiple cars in one platform?

nope, unless you run multiple trains

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, and each platform at each stop has to individually be set to load and unload the cars which show up in it.

The system still needs some improvement, but at least the trains just work once you get them all set up.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hmm train track bending also seems imprecise. If I try to make a 90° turn on a 4x4 block area, I need to offset the end of the track, to that the boundaries are parallel. Goddamnit. --edit: For a loop at the end of the track. --edit: This is becoming too much fidgeting to save 25MW.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 25, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Plastik posted:

I can and do get coal working in under two hours, and in no way does that change or invalidate my point :confused:

E: I just want biomass to be useful as backup power once you've moved past it, rather than rapidly fading into near uselessness before being completely eclipsed in the late game.

Put a stack of biofuel in your burners = backup power source that kicks in once your persistent ones fail

don't know what else you expected, or wanted

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

You *could* unload two cars into a platform if you really wanted, by putting more than one station in a line. So the train would unload, pull forward to the next station, and unload again from further cars.

Not sure when that would be more useful than just having 2x the freight platforms, and it'd be a lot slower. But if you had space restrictions it'd work.

edit:

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmm train track bending also seems imprecise. If I try to make a 90° turn on a 4x4 block area, I need to offset the end of the track, to that the boundaries are parallel. Goddamnit. --edit: For a loop at the end of the track. --edit: This is becoming too much fidgeting to save 25MW.

To make tighter turns, lay the two straight pieces first and then try to connect them.

Also tracks have a weird thing on foundations where they can make tighter turns if you use more & smaller segments. When I want to make a tight 180 I use 2 or 3 segments. Track is fiddly though.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 25, 2021

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I snipped out the planned map changes from one of the recent Update 5 videos.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
It took a while to understand how the hell water pumps and pipes work and I still barely understand it but after redesigning and rebuilding my generator area I have like sixteen coal generators and they’re all running perfectly. :getin: I built a two story factory that’s doing nothing but turning two pure iron deposits into reinforced plates so I can redo every conveyor with mk2s, and I tore down my other iron area to remake it. I might put a central storage area around there too (for now), although there’s those dumb poison trees there so maybe not. Can I ever get rid of those?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The poison rocks are permanent, you can't remove those. The poison flowers that stand up on legs when you get close can be exploded when you get the bombs.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

nielsm posted:

The poison rocks are permanent, you can't remove those. The poison flowers that stand up on legs when you get close can be exploded when you get the bombs.

The world as a whole becomes a better place when you get dynamite.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Designing a factory with a serial bus based on chained splitters makes things clean, but takes ages for the factory to get going, since all hoppers in the machines have to get filled for the bus to saturate.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Yeah that's the trade-off with manifolds. Trees distribute more evenly but take up more space and have to be planned more in advance.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
What is a bus

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

What is a bus

A bus is when you have a single trunk line of resources that all the consumers split off from. Not necessarily a single conveyor, but everything travelling together along a core route. It's very easy to organise from since it lends itself naturally to a stem-and-leaf structure, but machines nearer the start of the bus will naturally get priority in taking resources until their input hoppers are full, which can be a big pain if your demand starts to exceed your supply.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I’m assuming there’s some kind of smart splitter, then, unless it’s a BUNCH of conveyors next to each other

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There's smart splitters. The simple ones can filter by one argument per output. The programmable ones later you can assign multiple items to filter per output. Requires high tier components to research and build.

I'm currently using smart splitters for when I'm creating two or three different products at a factory to transport to a hub. The community calls it "belt compression". Merge everything onto a belt and then separate it using smart splitters.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

I’m assuming there’s some kind of smart splitter, then, unless it’s a BUNCH of conveyors next to each other

In other factory games (factorio is where I encountered this idea, and also factory games), one of the ease-of-expansion techniques is to do “BUNCH of conveyors next to each other” down a large corridor, and have production drawing materials off to one or both sides, to output them either onto a new bus lane or into holding chests. The chests, collectively, form the “mall,” another term we use on this thread to describe an easy-access holding area with storages for all the parts needed to build more factory.

Satisfactory really isn’t a bus-type game, unless you’re talking about a conveyor stack which carries belts on belts on belts of ingots. I do tend to develop pretty tall conveyor stacks in areas which get extra builds added on to them, since all the finished products, or an overflow feed of them, are going to be heading over either to a shipping area or the mall, and it’s nice and easy to add an extra stacker pole to something which already has clearance, but they’re not really buses as such.

They’re actually kind of the opposite since one of the main ideas of a bus is to make a top-down 2D Factorio factory look cleaner and be easier to read the logic of without notes, and my approach is vertical spaghetti.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I stubbornly made it work, but you do end up with a fairly absurd amount of floor space given to belts. Though Satisfactory does have one advantage over Factorio here, which is that you can start stacking belts when one belt's throughput turns out to be insufficient.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I just notice, now that I manage to make bigger factories that create an abundance of parts, I never put any overflow into Awesome sink before the buffer storages. And there's no space to rejig everything.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I know node placement is apparently static, is the purity also static?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

I know node placement is apparently static, is the purity also static?

Yes, everything about the world is entirely fixed.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Isn't the small loose resource rocks randomized, or do I misremember?

Also what you get from hard drives is randomized (but the location of the drives isn't)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ymgve posted:

Also what you get from hard drives is randomized (but the location of the drives isn't)
Ah poo poo, so I guess the fancy screw recipe is a matter of chance then.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Not having a fully random map was such a huge mistake. Random map, tweak the enemy system, and add a repeating End Game goal and it would be just as infinitely replayable as Factorio.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Which recipes you can get are based on what you've unlocked so far, so if you do some exploration early on you're pretty likely to get some of the alternate recipes for screws, reinforced plates, etc. that are quite good throughout the entire game.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

Not having a fully random map was such a huge mistake. Random map, tweak the enemy system, and add a repeating End Game goal and it would be just as infinitely replayable as Factorio.

I think they want to tell a story, which just hasn't been present in any of the public versions so far, and having a handcrafted map is probably influenced by that.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I hope the final story will be satisfying for both casual and hardcore players - like, you don't need to reach the highest tier to get to the conclusion, but getting to the highest tier is rewarding in some way.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

drunken officeparty posted:

Procedural generation takes a lot of development time to do, time which is better spent handcrafting one guaranteed good map instead of hoping you can sometimes generate some that don't suck.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Satisfactory's map is much, much deeper than either Factorio's or DSP's. All those games have to worry about is the spread of resources and obstacles on a 2D plane (curved onto spheres in DSP's case). Adding navigable elevation alone is a masive shake-up to terrain generation, and then you've got collectables (which need to be placed at the end of combat or platforming challenges to be satisfying), biomes, aesthetics, and whatever considerations might be required for the plot.

Even if Coffee Stain had put all the resources they'd allocated to map design into making a random generator instead for the entire development so far, what they'd have come up with would be total bollocks compared to what we have now, all in service of making your fifth 90-hour play through feel slightly less repetitive.

I could see them randomising which resource nodes offer what, and they do seem open to that idea. Possibly also the collectables. That would be much easier and provide most of the benefits a fully randomised map would offer anyway. Though I'd hope if they do that they also provide a way to mark down where nodes are on your map.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
In factorio, the map doesn't make a huge difference to me outside of the early game. What makes each playthrough different is my different ideas for how to plan my factory.

Satisfactory works basically the same way. There's a whole bunch of different places you can spawn to mix up the early game, and then what follows is based on how I decided to organize things.

The plans are a little different because my aesthetic goals often integrate fixed pieces of the landscape, but I kinda see that as a bonus. I can go in with ideas about particular areas and refine how I integrate the landscape. A random world, I'd be more inclined to pave the earth.

I also have big doubts that a random world could produce as striking features without tons and tons of work and unprecedented techniques.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Well all this Satisfactory talk got me to start up a new file. (with some added stuff to make things easier)

The spaghetti begins anew.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if there's one thing the last decade of game design has proven it's that looking at fractals and random noise is always better than a cool setpiece or terrain that provides a design puzzle

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What's the best way to go about a factory bus? Right now I tried ten lines arranged in 5+5, where each five belts are arranged like the five on a dice. Works somewhat OK, but a goddamn pain in the rear end.

--edit:
I mean look at this poo poo. I should probably finally abandon the starter site,

--edit:
Also, doesn't this game run at 4K? I've set the resolution as such, but the images a) still look upscaled and b) the screenshots are 1440p.

--edit:
Nevermind, it's this 150% scaling bullshit tripping the game. Why even?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 26, 2021

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The best bus design in Satisfactory is to not make a bus.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

nielsm posted:

The best bus design in Satisfactory is to not make a bus.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The only place I use anything bus related is where I build all of the complex components like the project assembly parts, to save space I build it vertically stacked on top of eachother using stackable conveyor poles and then use conveyor lifts to bring them down to the machines.

For some reason I am compelled for them to bring out the new update before I start playing again, the last update that redid the power kinda messed me up because it suddenly became a race against time to fix my power setup before my entire system blacked out and that kind of bummed me out.

Tombot fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 26, 2021

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I found the easiest way to organize was to have a one or two wall high crawlspace under the factory floor. Outputs just drop into the ground and show up where they need to be. The important thing is separating machinery (big solid collision objects that block belts) from belts (only collide at supports so you can layer on as many as you end up needing).

Although thinking about it further this is sort of bus-like, in that whereas a bus handles 2D planning by dividing it into non-conflicting 1D facilities this handles 3D planning by dividing it into non-conflicting 2D facilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Where is my update?