Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
So what's the latest from the Labour conference then

Did Keith introduce that "one Keith, one vote" plan? Did it pass?

Did Wes Streeting or someone similar challenge him yet for the leadership?

e: 79 - the number of votes Keith & his friends each have in Labour leadership elections, as opposed to everyone else who have 0.2 votes each

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

learnincurve posted:

Wheeling out the northern gobby woman to try and placate the members they have not lost yet is a hugely disingenuous and transparent move when we all know she and Reece Mogg are best mates.

Isn't it Jess Phillips from Birmingham who is Mogg's mate?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

learnincurve posted:

It’s quite a thing where you find yourself going “not even Blair would have”

Wheeling out the northern gobby woman to try and placate the members they have not lost yet is a hugely disingenuous and transparent move when we all know she and Reece Mogg are best mates.

Wrong northern gobby woman? Rayner's the one with stellar fashion taste and a solid moral (if not political) compass who was corbyn's education pick and ran the continuity ticket as RLBs deputy. Phillips is the guardian darling drunkard scion of millionaire business owners who insists her accent makes her working class and is bff's with all the worst people

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

learnincurve posted:

It’s quite a thing where you find yourself going “not even Blair would have”

I mean Blair did exactly this with Prescott in the 90s.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

Rayner's the one with stellar fashion taste
And Creasey's the one with angular fashion taste :dadjoke:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

jaete posted:

e: 79 - the number of votes Keith & his friends each have in Labour leadership elections, as opposed to everyone else who have 0.2 votes each

Guardian thinks that kier has the numbers to coup himself after Unison switched from abstain to free vote, and their delegates have indicated they'll support it. Guardian also thought Unite had done the same which was an obvious load of shite, so who knows?

The relevant vote is "getting labour election ready" - a vote to oppose getting labour election ready is the good vote. The cards have been handed out and count will be in sometime tonight

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

jaete posted:

Edit: never mind, just read the above post.

I think starmer had to withdraw the electoral college vote because he didn't have enough support.

David Evans' confirmation as secretary passed with 58% after successfully suspending loads of delegates.

In the morning Starmer said he didn't want to nationalise the utilities, and in the afternoon the conference passed a resolution to nationalise utilities.

I think there's another important vote today but I can't remember what it's on.

Tesla was right fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 26, 2021

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

The Observer
Keir Starmer in crucial vote on Sunday as left opposes plan to fight antisemitism

(Presented without comment)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's difficult to find a northern woman who hasn't been affected by either the deprivation of the north or the rampant societal imbalance that tends to drive people left.

Luckily, there is such a woman.

Cometh the hour, cometh the woman, as they say.

BAB 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Spangly A posted:

The Observer
Keir Starmer in crucial vote on Sunday as left opposes plan to fight antisemitism

(Presented without comment)

lmao unbelievable

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

mediaphage posted:

lmao unbelievable

that'll be because what the Observer describes as a "plan to fight antisemitism" will actually be along the lines of "kick supporters of Palestine out of the party"

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
How likely do people think an early (2022) election is? I've heard exactly one person express confidence in this, because they think the Tories will want to reset the electoral clock before the Brexit extention periods run out next summer.

It's not a particularly convincing argument (unless Boris singlehandedly saves Christmas) but then again the opposition is a complete mess and will have potentially alienated even more of their core base by next spring.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

feedmegin posted:

I mean Blair did exactly this with Prescott in the 90s.

At least Prezza knew how to throw a decent right hook into a gammon’s face

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

that'll be because what the Observer describes as a "plan to fight antisemitism" will actually be along the lines of "kick supporters of Palestine out of the party"

Ding ding ding

It's in response to actual fascist and vocal far right supporter van der Zyl writing about how she still feels unsafe in labour conference.

Their stated problem is that the ehrc report mentioned political interference in the disciplinary process, which the motion will ban, neglecting to mention that a) they wrote numerous articles demanding Corbyn intervene and b) he eventually intervened because the disciplinary office were outright refusing to do their job with the documented aim of sabotaging the party.

Outside of the line starting with "political interference" ending with "office", the other non-vdZ quote is from McCluskey, from the first accusations against Corbyn.

A shameful mouthpiece of a paper

Lady Demelza posted:

How likely do people think an early (2022) election is? I've heard exactly one person express confidence in this, because they think the Tories will want to reset the electoral clock before the Brexit extention periods run out next summer.

It's not a particularly convincing argument (unless Boris singlehandedly saves Christmas) but then again the opposition is a complete mess and will have potentially alienated even more of their core base by next spring.

The two obvious drawbacks would be Tory nerves around doing a Theresa (which probably don't really affect the pm himself) and possibly interrupting a servile and impotent opposition before it collapses on its own (which the Tory advisors probably would make a point of). If I was the labour right and genuinely didn't care about pm starmer as a concept I'd much rather chance my hand with an unknown and some platitudes than let Starmer go to polls - if you lose it doesn't matter, and if you win your replacement should be easier to control. They also don't seem to have anyone they think is any good, so might rather do that then let the public get to know wes streeting before polling day. If the Tories think that too, then calling a ge gains them nothing but could potentially cost them some murder-the-poor-and-foreign opportunities or, worst case scenario, end with the return of Corbyn.

If people really react to the current series of crises then the Tories might take a shot before it gets worse - but since nothing except NI raises has even touched them, I'm not sure it makes sense to call it early, and I don't think the Tories will see much to gain.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 26, 2021

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Lady Demelza posted:

They'll also have no money :lol:

quote:

Labour spends £2m a year on legal fees since Corbyn era, party official says

Johanna Baxter tells conference rally that costs used to be just 10% of that figure
x

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lady Demelza posted:

It'd be a risky move, with all the shortages going on at the moment. Sure, Labour is in a seriously unappealing position for everyone right now, but realistically that doesn't look poised to change for a while yet.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Spangly A posted:

Rayner's the one with stellar fashion taste and a solid moral (if not political) compass
She did stab the left in the back within about 6 seconds of getting elected on the Momentum slate (and I think some other stuff that icr too, I'm very tired atm on account of having a shiny new little baby :unsmith:)

sinky posted:

They'll also have no money :lol:
"the aftermath of Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership" is an interesting way of saying "Keir Starmer's leadership"

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Andy Burnham is presenting a load of policy proposals in the manner of someone who is running a leadership campaign.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Borrovan posted:

She did stab the left in the back within about 6 seconds of getting elected on the Momentum slate (and I think some other stuff that icr too, I'm very tired atm on account of having a shiny new little baby :unsmith:)

"the aftermath of Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership" is an interesting way of saying "Keir Starmer's leadership"

Congratulations :)
I hope you named it The Corbsta (joking :D )

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Congrats on the babby Borrovan! How girl get pregnent?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Borrovan posted:

Congratulations on the sprog, I wish you as many hours of sleep as you can steal!

For sure, rayner's loyal to the office rather than her base and sometimes the union beurocrat shines through. I'd never vote for her as leader or deputy again (although frankly her as leader and rlb as deputy looks a much better idea in hindsight) but I'd be perfectly happy if a future left party leader had her as education secretary in the future. It's hard to fake that kind of genuine hatred she has, too, and she hasn't changed her tone about the Tories now that it's an active detriment to her position.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Andy Burnham is presenting a load of policy proposals in the manner of someone who is running a leadership campaign.

Theres definitely some maneuvering going on. I think they expect a leadership challenge.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I thought the mayors had to resign as mayors before they could stand for leadership or am I wrong?
Or can you be LOTO and a mayor?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Well, Keith won the vote on leadership candidates needing the backing of 20% of MPs to be formally accepted.
Soooo... no left-wing candidate in the foreseeable future.

Also, got to love the brown-nosing of some members who are prepared to stan for Keith. "I think Keith's idea is brilliant, and I'm not just saying that because they've promised me to be my constituency's candidate at the next election."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Think I just heard the Sky News bloke call him Keith. Might be wrong though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kingturnip posted:

Well, Keith won the vote on leadership candidates needing the backing of 20% of MPs to be formally accepted. `

lol, wrap it all up folks

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I thought the mayors had to resign as mayors before they could stand for leadership or am I wrong?
Or can you be LOTO and a mayor?

If I recall, it won't matter. To be Labour Leader you need to be a sitting MP (maybe Lord?). He would need to win a by-election to run, unless they change the rules.

I assume it would be similar to the situation in Canada where the Liberals won an election in 1945 but their leader, Mackenzie King, lost his personal seat. Someone in a safe seat stood down and he was re-elected.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

kingturnip posted:

Well, Keith won the vote on leadership candidates needing the backing of 20% of MPs to be formally accepted.
Soooo... no left-wing candidate in the foreseeable future

Hang on wasn't that the rule back when we got Corbyn?

Looks like 'registered supporters' are no longer a thing either, mind you.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I wonder how many MPs can drive a lorry

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I wonder how many MPs can drive a lorry

Jess Phillips will claim she can, but that there's a legitimate medical reason that she'd rather not disclose that means she can't.
She totally would, though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also claim that when she were young they were called 'council gritters'.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Hang on wasn't that the rule back when we got Corbyn?

Looks like 'registered supporters' are no longer a thing either, mind you.

It's gone from 15% to 20% I think?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
wet egg gobshite :mad:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

dude queuing up for petrol in the guardian posted:

Dunbar, who works in property management, was with his young daughter. “We’ve just been to the supermarket to do the weekly shop and of course there’s no pasta. Are we going back to how it was at the start of the pandemic? If everyone just had a bit of social responsibility for themselves then this wouldn’t be an issue.”

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's gone from 15% to 20% I think?
yep - it was a 15% threshold for corbyn, which he barely cleared with 15.52%

on the bright side, under the new rules liz kendall wouldn't have got on the ballot either

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

lol, remember when they tried to argue that corbo shouldn't be on the ballet for a leadership challenge against him

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

josh04 posted:

lol, remember when they tried to argue that corbo shouldn't be on the ballet for a leadership challenge against him

I think you can safely say Corbo wasn't on the ballet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egGWfyctSyc

Dad dancing at its finest.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
it's time to make our own plant. who in this thread would like to pretend to be a centrist melt for 4 years and get elected as leader before pulling off the mask to reveal their UKMTness

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Do you know how little MPs earn? You're asking a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Paperhouse posted:

it's time to make our own plant. who in this thread would like to pretend to be a centrist melt for 4 years and get elected as leader before pulling off the mask to reveal their UKMTness

ronya, the hour hath come at last