Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/deborahskyrim/status/1441909757032476672

lol.

lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
watching some of those CW trash shows and laughed at this exchange

Zor-El: After you told me of Earth's environmental crisis, I couldn't shake the feeling that Earth was headed down the same path as Krypton. So, I analyzed your oceans, and I'm afraid the prognosis is grim. Your oceans are dying, just like ours did.
Supergirl: I know, Father. And I understand your fears, but it's not just our oceans. We've been trying to manage Earth's environmental crises for years... but it's... it's complicated.
Zor-El: Neglect like this is what destroyed Krypton. The death of the oceans, that was the tipping point. And you're already here. We have to stop it.
J'onn J'onzz: This doesn't have an easy fix, it's a complicated problem.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh no, it's worse than I thought. Even our imaginary super-people are dumb as poo poo.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vexsVB1JQqc

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
I just did a bunch of acid and crack-pinged to a whole new dimension.

It turns out that now, when we live, there is a collective 'i am a sentient extinction event' emergent consciousness that can be...accessed. It's a level of self-understanding that is totally dehumanizing and depersonalizing, and I'm pretty sure anybody who can handle it and has done their homework can access at will. It couldn't have existed until recently, because it was only recently possible that a sapient extinction event was able to cognize itself as a sapient mass extinction. It's probably the final mutation of Hegel's geist.

Everything becomes incredibly hilarious and what you thought of as your individual identity gets kind of irretrievably shredded. But it's a consciousness that's just kind of standing there, available to be accessed at any time to anybody who notices. You can kinda move into and back out of it deliberately. You can experience yourself and your life as a mass extinction event in a way that's like, the apotheosis of human self-understanding, but is also decidedly 100% post-human.

It is like having cthuluesque demon peering through your own skull. Post-human consciousness is here motherfuckers goddamn holy gently caress.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

splifyphus posted:

It turns out that now, when we live, there is a collective 'i am a sentient extinction event' emergent consciousness that can be...accessed. It's a level of self-understanding that is totally dehumanizing and depersonalizing, and I'm pretty sure anybody who can handle it and has done their homework can access at will. It couldn't have existed until recently, because it was only recently possible that a sapient extinction event was able to cognize itself as a sapient mass extinction. It's probably the final mutation of Hegel's geist.

Everything becomes incredibly hilarious and what you thought of as your individual identity gets kind of irretrievably shredded. But it's a consciousness that's just kind of standing there, available to be accessed at any time to anybody who notices. You can kinda move into and back out of it deliberately. You can experience yourself and your life as a mass extinction event in a way that's like, the apotheosis of human self-understanding, but is also decidedly 100% post-human.

It is like having cthuluesque demon peering through your own skull. Post-human consciousness is here motherfuckers goddamn holy gently caress.

snap

pop

shine on you fourth dimensional diamond

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
watching the jeff gibs doc right now

halfway through and it's real good so far

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
it makes me want to make a checklist of poo poo that's gonna happen so i can check it off when it happens, like places running out of water, boe, reversal of amoc, etc etc

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

splifyphus posted:

man that's some good crack ping.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

splifyphus posted:

climate change or Third Impact, folks?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
unfortunately i think humanity being distilled into one homogenous fluidic entity would just create the universe's biggest singular giant rear end in a top hat

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
finished the planet of the humans. it correctly identifies how hosed we are, that the only solution is degrowth, the green deal and its ilk are all bullshit, and that the modern environmental movement has been co-opted by capital

we're hosed. lol. lmao.

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

unfortunately i think humanity being distilled into one homogenous fluidic entity would just create the universe's biggest singular giant rear end in a top hat

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Drought in the US Southwest is worst in recorded history

hmm

Cold on a Cob posted:

things aren't that bad, yet

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Well my mom remembers a summer it was pretty dry when she was a kid so I'm sure that this is all just an over reaction and everything is fine.

Oh your parents remember when it used to snow in winter? Um let's talk about something else

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

splifyphus posted:

Isn't this just death stranding....

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Disgusting.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
i was wondering - how do people who acknowledge the reality of mankind's impact on the climate and the coming changes deal with ethics on an individual level? do you find that you have a changing sense of ethics based on a rough knowledge of the coming climate?

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Cloks posted:

i was wondering - how do people who acknowledge the reality of mankind's impact on the climate and the coming changes deal with ethics on an individual level? do you find that you have a changing sense of ethics based on a rough knowledge of the coming climate?

jokerification, mainly

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Cloks posted:

it's prisoner's dilemma in real life and it loving sucks.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
everyone is probably going to have a different answer to that

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Planet of the Humans is definitely on my to watch list after going to its Wikipedia page.

Wikipedia posted:

Factual accuracy
Scientific accuracy

The movie was criticized as outdated and misleading by climate scientists.[6][7][24] The film claims the carbon footprint of renewable energy is comparable to fossil fuels, when taking into account all different stages of its production. However, a large body of research shows the life-cycle emissions of wind and solar are much lower than those of fossil fuels.[25][26][27]

So I read this and saw that they cited three sources. That's their 'large body of literature'. Hmmm.... well 3 sources isn't exactly a large body, I think to myself. I routinely read papers that cite 5, 6, 7 or more papers. Things where you say "a large body of literature[23-31]".

Well anyway let me check these sources, I think. Maybe they are literature reviews that themselves will contain the citations needed to constitute a "large body of research"!

Huh, here's source 25...

quote:

Readfearn, Graham (May 2, 2020). "Once again Michael Moore stirs the environmental pot — but conservationists turn up the heat on him". The Guardian. London, United Kingdom. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved May 3, 2020.
Hm, The Guardian. Well maybe the next one will be an actual research paper. Source 26, coming up...

quote:

Gearino, Dan (Apr 30, 2020). "Inside Clean Energy: 6 Things Michael Moore's 'Planet of the Humans' Gets Wrong". Inside Climate News. Retrieved May 1, 2020.
Hm, "Inside Climate News". That sounds trustworthy? I guess? Well let's check source 27.

quote:

Nuccitelli, Dana. "Michael Moore's 'Planet of the Humans' documentary peddles dangerous climate denial". Retrieved May 1, 2020.
Huh, this one doesn't actually have a publisher listed, it's just an author and a title? Well there's a link, let's click it.

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2020/05/michael-moores-planet-of-the-humans-documentary-peddles-dangerous-climate-denial/

Oh okay, it came from Yale. Well, Yale! That's a respectable place!

Actually clicking and reading any of these articles is rage inducing. It's worse than that horrible D&D post I posted a few days ago. Here's a paragraph from the Yale paper:

quote:

The bottom line

Gibbs asks, “Is it possible for machines made by industrial civilization to save us from industrial civilization?”

Why not? Industrial civilization has a non-zero climate and environmental footprint, but the impact of green technologies like EVs, wind turbines, and solar panels is much smaller than the alternatives. They represent humanity’s best chance to avoid a climate catastrophe.

The filmmakers call for an end to limitless economic growth and consumption. It’s difficult to envision that goal being achieved anytime soon, but even if it is, human civilization will continue to exist and require energy. To avert a climate crisis, that energy must be supplied by the clean renewable technologies pilloried in the film. To expand on the earlier analogy, the filmmakers seem to believe we should improve nutrition not by eating healthier foods like strawberries, but rather by eating a bit less cheesecake.

Like Fox News and other propaganda vehicles, the film presents one biased perspective via carefully chosen voices, virtually all of whom are comfortable white men. It applies an environmental purity test that can seem convincing for viewers lacking expertise in the topic. Any imperfect technology – which is every technology – is deemed bad. It’s a clear example of the perfect being the enemy of the good. In reality, this movie is the enemy of humanity’s last best chance to save itself and countless other species from unchecked climate change through a transition to cleaner technologies.

Just the most disgusting poo poo you've ever read. And where are the loving citations!? WHERE IS THE loving BODY OF RESEARCH, WIKIPEDIA?

Wikipedia is such a loving insane biased ideological lovely website, god drat.

e: the best part of that Yale blog post is that there is a picture of the author who is, you guessed it, a white man.

e2: on wikipedia lovely blog posts that are hosted on yale's servers count as a "body of research". GOD DAMMIT I HATE WIKIPEDIA THIS HAS MADE ME SO ANGRY!

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 18:28 on Sep 26, 2021

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
https://twitter.com/JerylBier/status/1441967305089601536

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

generally the new yorker articles i have read have been pretty good. they had a good 3 part series about how hosed up the climate is in central america and how they cant grow corn anymore there. def gonna read this 'blow up infrastructure' article, hope it advocates blowing up infrastructure!

e: also of course lol at the teachers pet loser worried about property destruction what a scrub

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Cloks posted:

What about the coming world is a good reason to change your personal ethics?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

apatheticman posted:

Isn't this just death stranding....

we need to find norman reedus's adoptive sister and beg her to stop doing climate change

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

IAMKOREA posted:

generally the new yorker articles i have read have been pretty good. they had a good 3 part series about how hosed up the climate is in central america and how they cant grow corn anymore there. def gonna read this 'blow up infrastructure' article, hope it advocates blowing up infrastructure!

e: also of course lol at the teachers pet loser worried about property destruction what a scrub

lol if you actually think property destruction is worst than biosphere destruction

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

CODChimera posted:

i say we give in to the doom

human extinction any% speedrun

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
my ninth grade teacher assigned the monkey wrench gang as reading and was largely positive on the message so, imo, insulting to even call that dude a teacher's pet he's worse

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

splifyphus posted:

this is possibly one of the best posts in this thread. thank you. meditation can get you to tap into this too if you focus on it right.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

again if they rebuild the pipeline, blowing it up is worse than just leaving it be for the environment.

only if blowing up the pipeline results in reduction in *consumption* does it actually help the climate. making TX natural gas winners and ND natural gas losers doesnt even help, its still worse than doing nothing.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
i mean yes ideally every oil pipeline is destroyed

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Industrial civilization has a non-zero climate and environmental footprint, but

Raqqa Flocka Flame
Dec 14, 2017
I watched both "Nature Abhors a Dome" and "Planet of the Humans" over the past couple days. And now it's really sinking in for me that some type of rapid and catastrophic degrowth in the near future is the best possible outcome to look forward too.

I was a squatter punk for 7 years. My household of 5 used solar for electric, we used and generated ~700 Wh a day (the average American household uses about 30 kWh a day), it was enough to have lights and charge our cellphones, laptops, power tools, and pretty decent speaker system and run fans in the summer. It was nowhere near enough to run basic modern conveniences like a fridge or AC and heat (we used a small dorm-room sized fridge that ran off propane and a wood stove in the living room). Food mostly came from dumpsters and food stamps. We also had regular running water. Most of my none squatter friends thought it seemed like an asetic lifestyle, but it honestly felt close enough to a normal western lifestyle to me at the time. I'm realizing now that whoever is left alive in the future will be considered rich if they can manage a similar set-up.

All I can say is... lol lmao

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

to kick off serious degrowth you'd need to be responsible for the destruction of infrastructure that would lead to more deaths than all 20th century wars and genocides combined and it may not end up mattering in the end

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
(pic of deep water horizon blowing out into sea) black is beautiful

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Raqqa Flocka Flame posted:

I watched both "Nature Abhors a Dome" and "Planet of the Humans" over the past couple days. And now it's really sinking in for me that some type of rapid and catastrophic degrowth in the near future is the best possible outcome to look forward too.

I was a squatter punk for 7 years. My household of 5 used solar for electric, we used and generated ~700 Wh a day (the average American household uses about 30 kWh a day), it was enough to have lights and charge our cellphones, laptops, power tools, and pretty decent speaker system and run fans in the summer. It was nowhere near enough to run basic modern conveniences like a fridge or AC and heat (we used a small dorm-room sized fridge that ran off propane and a wood stove in the living room). Food mostly came from dumpsters and food stamps. We also had regular running water. Most of my none squatter friends thought it seemed like an asetic lifestyle, but it honestly felt close enough to a normal western lifestyle to me at the time. I'm realizing now that whoever is left alive in the future will be considered rich if they can manage a similar set-up.

All I can say is... lol lmao

and it's not even that having a fridge is impossible. if you make a chest freezer operate at fridge temperatures and only open it once or twice every time you cook a meal (and that's it), it would absolutely sip power in comparison to standard modern fridges.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

https://streamable.com/lvnvxn

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Degrowth that doesn't kill everyone is technically possible with a carefully planned economy, but modern civilization is predicated on the idea that planning isn't possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

atelier morgan posted:

my ninth grade teacher assigned the monkey wrench gang as reading and was largely positive on the message so, imo, insulting to even call that dude a teacher's pet he's worse

i mean i had cool teachers too but i still skipped their classes once in a while to get in trouble