Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the all you need is kill adaptation was alright, besides changing the name from all you need is kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they took the basic premise and did their own thing with it, except their own thing was pretty good for once.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

chumbler posted:

I'm mostly wondering who is the apparent audience they believe exists who wouldn't touch Cowboy Bebop as an anime, but are totally down for it with real people.
You say this, but I've known younger colleagues who refuse to watch Bebop due to the 'dated' colour palette. It looks old, and therefore boring, to a lot of folks. A slick MCU style presentation could draw a wider audience.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the MCU has colors?

e: besides airfields and the surrounding lawn that is

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Endorph posted:

the all you need is kill adaptation was alright, besides changing the name from all you need is kill.

i would argue better because there's nothing better than tom cruise making a strangled squawk as he dies off-screen because he accidentally rolled under a jeep

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Motto posted:

the MCU has colors?

shang-chi was pretty good

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Emily Blunt also nailed it in that movie.

https://i.imgur.com/Sz2ht8D.gifv

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Box of Bunnies posted:

lmao, they're doing Mad Pierrot
first thing that's gotten a positive reaction from me upon hearing about it tbh

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
all you need is kill is a pretty cool name but I also do like edge of tomorrow as a name too

criminally underrated movie, I know like two people who have even heard of it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Motto posted:

the MCU has colors?

Space is kinda colorful

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

gently caress i forgot how good she is in that movie because every time i think of it it's just tom cruise doing wilhelm screams

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I went into a barnes and noble for the first time in basically forever while waiting in a queue and holy moly it's kinda nuts how much manga gets licensed nowadays.

I had no idea stuff like the dragon egg isekai was licensed, or that 13 volumes of komi-san were localized already in english. it's a shame they take up so much physical space or I'd love to buy a bunch of entire series, some of the volumes look real nice like the knights of sidonia ones that are absolutely gigantic.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I remember when Toonami was showing Cowboy Bebop and they had to remove Cowboy Funk because of 9/11. i wonder if it'll be in the remake.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well they showed Teddy Bomber's explosives in the intro so I'd say yes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

all you need is kill is a pretty cool name but I also do like edge of tomorrow as a name too

I loved it. It was bummer how few people were in the theater when I saw it like opening weekend.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Back when it came out, I was working as a computer tech, and I remember working in this one guy's office who was almost as old as my grandpa and listening to him enthusiastically describe the plot to one of his coworkers who seemed completely lost.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

"Master Sergeant Farrel, you're an American-"
"No sir. I'm from Kentucky."

"Okay."

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

FilthyImp posted:

KyoAni had no reason to go as hard on Kobayashi's Dragon Maid as they did. poo poo's gorgeous.

I started watching it in Spanish and this is now the official Dub choice of champions.

I only watched a few seconds of the LatAm dub by mistake and I loved how Kanna's teacher sounded like 20 years older than she looks lol I honestly didn't enjoy the second season as much as the first one, Ilulu's first couple episodes were kinda rough but I enjoyed all the screentime given to Elma, Tohru and Kanna. The last episode in particular had some really nice moments, like Kanna realizing Saikawa doesn't have the lifespan of a dragon, and wishing her a long life.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i watched the new cowboy bebop op and yeah its lame

just redo the original op! dont add all these dumbass scenes from the show into it! it sucked!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I loved it. It was bummer how few people were in the theater when I saw it like opening weekend.
I did my best to get folks to go see it but nobody was interested. :(

same with Alita.

Alita and Edge of Tomorrow, are those the only good hollywood live action anime adaptations?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I did my best to get folks to go see it but nobody was interested. :(

same with Alita.

Alita and Edge of Tomorrow, are those the only good hollywood live action anime adaptations?

Speed Racer and Detective Pikachu were both enjoyable.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

detective pikachu isn't an anime adaptation unless you're going to count the sonic movie

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

also i don't think i was very interested in watching anything with tom cruise in it as far as edge of tomorrow goes

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Aurora posted:

also i don't think i was very interested in watching anything with tom cruise in it as far as edge of tomorrow goes

edge of tomorrow is perfect for tom cruise haters because he dies over twenty times in it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
most of those were really funny deaths, too.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
With all the Marvel stuff doing time jumping and alternate realities now, I could see Edge of Tomorrow doing really well if it was a new movie in 2021.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RareAcumen posted:

Speed Racer and Detective Pikachu were both enjoyable.

Ah poo poo that's right, I love speed racer but completely forgot about it when thinking of Hollywood anime adaptations

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I went into a barnes and noble for the first time in basically forever while waiting in a queue and holy moly it's kinda nuts how much manga gets licensed nowadays.

I had no idea stuff like the dragon egg isekai was licensed, or that 13 volumes of komi-san were localized already in english. it's a shame they take up so much physical space or I'd love to buy a bunch of entire series, some of the volumes look real nice like the knights of sidonia ones that are absolutely gigantic.
mangas loving massive these days. youtube keeps reccing me 'manga haul!!' videos but its literally always promised neverland, kaguya-sama, and one piece.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Not sure if it's the same elsewhere, but this B&N reduced their manga section from a full aisle to a single extremely crowded half of one aisle. And have reduced their general book presence in favor of Legos and tons of Harry potter kitschy bullshit. Kinda pitiful to see, but I'm guessing they're having to adapt to people buying their manga via Amazon and such.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

On the one hand, it's a shame to see that, but on the other, Barnes and Noble is like the only chain store where you can reliably buy gunpla so who can say if it's bad or not

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's almost hard to keep up with how much stuff is licensed now because there's so much, especially if you're reading webcomic stuff on top of manga. I mostly focus on BL for getting print manga since my space is limited and am selective on authors & publishers on top of that, and I've still got about 2 dozen titles on a list to preorder when they're a little closer to their release dates.

Book shortages add another wrinkle to that also, because right now if you expect to get a print copy of something if you didn't preorder it, good luck. I had an order that got delayed and didn't get fulfilled right away and even though it was only held up like a week, the manga I wanted was already out of stock everywhere and I just had to cancel and get the digital version.

You also have to do more work to stay on top of what's getting licensed and find new releases. I get most of my manga publishing news from twitter and I follow 3 or 4 different accounts that post industry news plus following publisher accounts like Seven Seas and Yen Press plus all the BL publishers. I think MAL does a fairly regular "here's what's licensed and releasing" news post for manga also, but there's not really the same kind of condensed seasonal list like you can rely on for anime so you have to do more of the legwork yourself. Sometimes I find stuff just by browsing new releases and seeing what's come up for preorder. There's also quite a bit of manga that never gets a print release so even just regularly seeing what's in the bookstores will lead to missing a lot if you aren't following digital-only announcements.

I do wish more people would support official releases of the stuff they're reading when it's licensed. It's not the early 2000s anymore where the selection is super limited and indie/niche stuff never gets picked up. I think if something is licensed and you want to link to it for discussion, your first instinct shouldn't be to link to whichever scan site you happen to find it on.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/ski_mochii/status/1442133012229939205?s=20

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Is this the week or two lull between End of Season and Start of Season?

Feels bad, man

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

you could watch one of the thousand good animes that already exist

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Squidster posted:

You say this, but I've known younger colleagues who refuse to watch Bebop due to the 'dated' colour palette. It looks old, and therefore boring, to a lot of folks. A slick MCU style presentation could draw a wider audience.

those people sound stupid

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Squidster posted:

I guess it really does date you to when you first started watching stuff because I can't get enough of 90s style animation, especially the late 90s stuff right at the cusp of the transition to digital cel painting.

I don't mean to rag on digital painting (even if early 2000s shows are loving dire) but there's just something so satisfying and tactile to my senses for traditional mediums and hand painting. It's why I consider the visual effects work done for Return of the Jedi to be some fo the absolute greatest ever made when you consider how mammoth a task it was to individually film each ship model flyby and then layer the effects shots.
I get the same thing with anime. The behind the scenes footage of how the panning shots were done for something like Katsuhrio Otomo's Cannon Fodder speak to an obscene amount of effort that nowadays would be much easier (but still time consuming) to do via CGI.

As for art style, I like muted color palettes because bright shiny primary colours are the mainstream for most shows so it's fun to be different.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 26, 2021

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
at work to make sure the apprentice cook is ok during the game

i dont want to sit here and watch football

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tales of Woe posted:

you could watch one of the thousand good animes that already exist
But I've already watched God of High School 6 times!

verbal enema posted:

i dont want to sit here and watch football
What if it involved Mechs and/or colorful teams with nation-specific special arts?

FC Gundam!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

FilthyImp posted:

What if it involved Mechs and/or colorful teams with nation-specific special arts?

FC Gundam!

yeah thatd be dope as gently caress

whatever happened to the literal irl mech battle thing that used to be around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Robot Combat League?

what the gently caress that was 2013?!