Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Thank you for all the tips, had my first ever full enemy team rage quit today :nsa: a really wonderful feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHm0Y1AjOWw

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'm playing through Days Gone right now, and the bizzare inconsistent writing and characterization just makes me like how well written The Last of Us is. Joel and Ellie have character arcs, Deacon St John hardly acts like the same character from scene to scene.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

https://twitter.com/naughtydoginfo/status/1440298081518436376?s=21
This is literally just a rando twitter but given no factions announcement today I’ll still take this five day old made up information.

Although a battle royal set within the flaming wreckage of the seraphites village sounds interesting

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can’t wait to play this like 3 years from now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

F O L K S

https://twitter.com/hbo/status/1442292912541376512?s=10

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

https://twitter.com/kennyamr/status/1442294403650015232

:lol:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
that dark sides expansion sounds too good to be true really. all of it is basically what i want out of an expansion, though - abby's story has room for a proper conclusion that isn't just a title screen hint, and i really want those multiplayer mode because the combat is great.

dark sides isn't a terrible name but it doesn't feel like a last of us name or fit the supposed content, so i'm not going to hope that this exists yet.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel avenging your father's death and traveling across the country to escape the aftermath of getting all your friends killed and starting a new life with essentially a little brother to take care of feels like a very complete arc to me.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
it is but there's room to do something with her from the point she's allowed to escape on that boat to when she presumably meets up with the fireflies and does something with them. something more on the hopeful side, probably. with intense skull crushing.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
Gimme all the 2lou dlc chapters plz :grabby hands:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
yeah i'd take anything. tommy, whatever you've got. i really like last of us 2.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

OldMemes posted:

I'm playing through Days Gone right now, and the bizzare inconsistent writing and characterization just makes me like how well written The Last of Us is. Joel and Ellie have character arcs, Deacon St John hardly acts like the same character from scene to scene.

Reminds me I was thinking about grabbing Days Gone earlier this year and put one of the bigger, and older, streamers on while they did what must have been a replay. They started talking about how Days Gone was a better game than TLOU2 and mentioned their TLOU2 reaction video, so I went to YouTube and found them literally going off about how ND “got rid of the cool guy.”

It always seems to boil down to that

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dinosaurs! posted:

Reminds me I was thinking about grabbing Days Gone earlier this year and put one of the bigger, and older, streamers on while they did what must have been a replay. They started talking about how Days Gone was a better game than TLOU2 and mentioned their TLOU2 reaction video, so I went to YouTube and found them literally going off about how ND “got rid of the cool guy.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVQcZa4O01A

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

DLC starring Dog the Bounty Hunter Rattler

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think too many people got confused by the building with the dome and think the whole Firefly thing was a trap so they probably want to add an extra chapter or something to clear that up.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Dinosaurs! posted:

I find it amazing how people still misunderstand the characters of Joel and Abby and that they have exactly the same character arc. It's almost like feeling emotions was what the story was aiming for or something.

In Days Gone, characters seem to change personality wildly from scene to scene. Deacon St John often flicks between "rough but compassionate", "jokey funny man" "unhinged lunatic" and "apathetic shell of a man" constantly. But not in a way that makes narrative sense.

It feels more like a Read Dead clone than a TLOU clone though. Gameplay loop is fine, but it feels shallow due to inconsistent writing and the open world design taking away a lot of the tension. Most of the time you can just....drive away when a hoard of infected is following you, so the set pieces don't have the same impact.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The difference is not a factual one but an emotional one: that we spend an entire game with Joel and have no connection to the people he wrongs but we know Abby for about 20 minutes and she viciously murders Joel.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

OldMemes posted:

I find it amazing how people still misunderstand the characters of Joel and Abby and that they have exactly the same character arc. It's almost like feeling emotions was what the story was aiming for or something.

In Days Gone, characters seem to change personality wildly from scene to scene. Deacon St John often flicks between "rough but compassionate", "jokey funny man" "unhinged lunatic" and "apathetic shell of a man" constantly. But not in a way that makes narrative sense.

It feels more like a Read Dead clone than a TLOU clone though. Gameplay loop is fine, but it feels shallow due to inconsistent writing and the open world design taking away a lot of the tension. Most of the time you can just....drive away when a hoard of infected is following you, so the set pieces don't have the same impact.

You're forgetting that Joel was the glue holding the game together for a lot of people..if he dies, no one gives a gently caress about Ellie or Tommy or anyone else.

Kinda wild to be playing a game where a male character is fridged instead of a woman. :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There's plenty of people who hate TLOU for laughably sexist/bigoted reasons, but I don't think Joel getting fridged caused such a reaction because of it being the inverse of the trope or anything. A lot of people just seemed to miss the point that it was supposed to immensely piss you off and that was the set up for the next 25 hours of rollercoaster.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
yeah I think ND miscalculated how much of a poo poo the fanbase actually gave about Ellie other than as an accessory to Joel. they thought people loved their world and storytelling, but actually they loved grim apocalypse dad who does whatever the gently caress he wants.

there was a quote from neil druckmann responding to the leaks that they were suddenly worried because of the intense hatred in the reactions they were seeing. i don't think they had a good handle on what the fans of the first game were really after, because it wasn't to be challenged. i saw a lot of people resistant to the idea of a sequel at all over the years.

it was good for me though because i love the second one and stil don't really care about the first. it's too straightforward and my opinion of it went down recently when i watched children of men and saw that last of us 1 directly lifts 90% of its story then adds zombies. it does it well but i wasn't really looking for more of the same, and a lot of people were.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

For the people who really wanted a sequel but then fell on the toxic feminism destroyed my game train I have no clue whatsoever they were looking for in the next one. Like...was it just Joel smashing heads with Ellie giving him the thumbs up for 25 hours?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

The Last of Us: Revengeance

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There’s probably a good chunk of people who would have rather had Dina be the victim and Joel being Ellie’s sidekick like some of the initial trailers hinted at.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I didn’t really care about Ellie as her own character until TLoU2. I was unimpressed with Left Behind, it’s a cool story but it didn’t wow me or make me feel like Ellie had agency or anything. TLoU2 is one of my favorite games ever and Ellie (adult) is one of the most recognizable and badass women in gaming and I love her now.

EDIT: I’m saying Ellie would reduce Aloy to chili before Aloy even knew she was being hunted.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 30, 2021

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

roomtone posted:

yeah I think ND miscalculated how much of a poo poo the fanbase actually gave about Ellie other than as an accessory to Joel. they thought people loved their world and storytelling, but actually they loved grim apocalypse dad who does whatever the gently caress he wants.

There are a lot of absolute clowns that are fans of TLOU for some reason, yeah

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bobjr posted:

There’s probably a good chunk of people who would have rather had Dina be the victim and Joel being Ellie’s sidekick like some of the initial trailers hinted at.

man i'm so glad it didn't go that route. when i saw those trailers i figured ND was feinting but you can never be too sure

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the poop punishment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWTBgPGKHV4&t=63s

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Started playing the Last of Us remaster in order to actually finish the drat game.

And now I'm officially past the point I got stuck and quit last time:toot:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

tlousday™ streams will return on tues, nov 2nd. study up, fools :blastu:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I missed the last tlousday for a month? drat, just going to have to continue playing factions everyday, just without that extra two hours.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

*gif of aipsh being hit in crotch with a football*

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Now that I have a new Bust-Torium all to myself, I’m gonna endeavor to try and play Factions with you gang at least once a month so when actions 2 drops im not strictly scrub tier. All these sweet bow kills and funny accents got me horny for hijinx.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

*gif of aipsh being hit in crotch with a football*

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Lmao

acksplode
May 17, 2004

"sorry"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Aidan_702 posted:

I missed the last tlousday for a month? drat, just going to have to continue playing factions everyday, just without that extra two hours.

I mean, presumedly anybody who wants to play will just play anyways? I'll hop in. I always have tuesday off.

Ngl I don't get why we are supposed to commit to not playing for month because VG wont be streaming it to 20 people lol.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I mean, presumedly anybody who wants to play will just play anyways? I'll hop in. I always have tuesday off.

Ngl I don't get why we are supposed to commit to not playing for month because VG wont be streaming it to 20 people lol.

I will continue to stream to 0 viewers so it’s fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
What was the actual reason for taking a break from tlousday? I mean, I dont particularly mind as I've kinda burnt out on it and a new work schedule is kicking my rear end atm so a break is perfect for me