Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

RIP Syndrome posted:

Degrowth that doesn't kill everyone is technically possible with a carefully planned economy, but modern civilization is predicated on the idea that planning isn't possible

this is just the ecological equivalent of ultraleftism imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

RIP Syndrome posted:

Degrowth that doesn't kill everyone is technically possible with a carefully planned economy, but modern civilization is predicated on the idea that planning isn't possible

and its all part of the plan....

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

IAMKOREA posted:

Well my mom remembers a summer it was pretty dry when she was a kid so I'm sure that this is all just an over reaction and everything is fine.

Oh your parents remember when it used to snow in winter? Um let's talk about something else
future children wondering why santa claus lives in the middle of the ocean

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
#1 hilarious thing about climate change imo is those dumb coke polar bear ads in the 90s and there not being any ice caps 40 years later

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

mediaphage posted:

and it's not even that having a fridge is impossible. if you make a chest freezer operate at fridge temperatures and only open it once or twice every time you cook a meal (and that's it), it would absolutely sip power in comparison to standard modern fridges.
Can attest. I use a solar direct drive chest fridge* with a 1400 watt array (that powers everything else in the house) and it works quite well when used as mediaphage describes.

*sundanzer brand, if you want to check it out, though I think their website has been out of stock on everything for quite a while... :thunk:

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Raqqa Flocka Flame posted:

I watched both "Nature Abhors a Dome" and "Planet of the Humans" over the past couple days. And now it's really sinking in for me that some type of rapid and catastrophic degrowth in the near future is the best possible outcome to look forward too.

I was a squatter punk for 7 years. My household of 5 used solar for electric, we used and generated ~700 Wh a day (the average American household uses about 30 kWh a day), it was enough to have lights and charge our cellphones, laptops, power tools, and pretty decent speaker system and run fans in the summer. It was nowhere near enough to run basic modern conveniences like a fridge or AC and heat (we used a small dorm-room sized fridge that ran off propane and a wood stove in the living room). Food mostly came from dumpsters and food stamps. We also had regular running water. Most of my none squatter friends thought it seemed like an asetic lifestyle, but it honestly felt close enough to a normal western lifestyle to me at the time. I'm realizing now that whoever is left alive in the future will be considered rich if they can manage a similar set-up.

All I can say is... lol lmao

edit: poo poo i hosed this up because i'm dumb but i was gonna post a meme about this post maybe i'll do it later

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Bathtub Cheese posted:

this is just the ecological equivalent of ultraleftism imo

Is that good or bad?

By "technically possible" I mean there's probably an achievable energy budget where we put very little CO2 into the atmosphere and where everyone's still fine but not nearly as comfy as the currently 10% comfiest people on Earth. However, we can't really get there with market-based incentives like increasing the cost of CO2 without ending up in the situation you described previously. With our current energy budget we could probably achieve v. good comfiness for everyone, but we're not doing that either.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Most of my spare time these days is spent outdoors. I ride my bike. I fish. I hunt. Today we went out to scout fields and I'm skipping a bike race (lol not racing bikes and risking a covid infection or a broken collarbone when friends have already been denied surgery for the same because covid is taking up too much healthcare resources) to go hunt this evening. Hunting this year is going to be good but there's a drought and persistently low water levels in the marshes this year so next year the hunting is going to kinda suck. I'll race bikes next year.

It's sunny and 10c above normal for this time of year. It's beautiful.

My wife, who works outside, doesn't understand why I feel such a need to spend as much time as possible outside, to the point of near exhaustion sometimes. I literally feel guilty when I waste a day.

It's because I know none of this is going to last. As beautiful as it is right now, I know in the back of my head that I'm watching the world die.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

SPARC is going to come online in 2025 and we'll all feel pretty silly about climate change

Or it doesn't, and we'll be the last generation to enjoy the finer things in life. Pretty exciting, either way

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lol lmao

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

Justin Tyme posted:

SPARC is going to come online in 2025 and we'll all feel pretty silly about climate change

Or it doesn't, and we'll be the last generation to enjoy the finer things in life. Pretty exciting, either way

Comedy option:

It works and fusion's finally reality! Hurray!

Oh god damnit now we got to tackle the microplastics-in-all-of-the-species problem...

lol. lmao.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

RIP Syndrome posted:

The problem with rapid degrowth is it just delays us.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

EvilJoven posted:

Most of my spare time these days is spent outdoors. I ride my bike. I fish. I hunt. Today we went out to scout fields and I'm skipping a bike race (lol not racing bikes and risking a covid infection or a broken collarbone when friends have already been denied surgery for the same because covid is taking up too much healthcare resources) to go hunt this evening. Hunting this year is going to be good but there's a drought and persistently low water levels in the marshes this year so next year the hunting is going to kinda suck. I'll race bikes next year.

My wife, who works outside, doesn't understand why I feel such a need to spend as much time as possible outside, to the point of near exhaustion sometimes. I literally feel guilty when I waste a day.

It's because I know none of this is going to last. As beautiful as it is right now, I know in the back of my head that I'm watching the world die.

I do this too, I tried to explain to someone how the whole rocky mountain forest is dying and I want to experience it before it's gone and they got really mad at me so I try not to talk about it anymore :shrug:

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 20:22 on Sep 26, 2021

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
I think the real problem with rapid degrowth is that it doesn't generate value for shareholders.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Rectal Death Adept posted:

The problem with rapid degrowth is it just delays us.

Compared to what?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i mean

rapid degrowth is coming no matter what

sooo

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Just gotta kill a few more animals before they're all gone. They're so beautiful *sniff* BOOM. *Reloads* i love them so much *BOOM*

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:reject: it would be Malthusian to suggest that number shouldn't go up

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

RIP Syndrome posted:

Compared to what?

If a solar EMP wiped out all power generation worldwide we still have the cities plumbed and wired and the rear end in a top hat desire to pollute put off a few decades.

If a solar storm causes an extreme geomagnetic reaction that causes all industry to short circuit and burst into flame taking the entire concept of technology and anything integrated with it out in fire then that stalls us a few decades more.

If we nuke ourselves and cool the atmosphere we will have pockets of industry waiting for us to adapt to the new radioactive environment assuming we don't make earth entirely uninhabitable.

If yellowstone goes and takes out the worst offenders it buys a little more time with an extreme check on the global temperatures rising.

If you are talking about some situation where humanity becomes benevolent and agrees to do this in an enlightened way to optimize our resources to save the most lives this mythical people still live here.

Dead is dead.

The Protagonist posted:

i mean

rapid degrowth is coming no matter what

sooo

^

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

splifyphus posted:

I just did a bunch of acid and crack-pinged to a whole new dimension.

It turns out that now, when we live, there is a collective 'i am a sentient extinction event' emergent consciousness that can be...accessed. It's a level of self-understanding that is totally dehumanizing and depersonalizing, and I'm pretty sure anybody who can handle it and has done their homework can access at will. It couldn't have existed until recently, because it was only recently possible that a sapient extinction event was able to cognize itself as a sapient mass extinction. It's probably the final mutation of Hegel's geist.

Everything becomes incredibly hilarious and what you thought of as your individual identity gets kind of irretrievably shredded. But it's a consciousness that's just kind of standing there, available to be accessed at any time to anybody who notices. You can kinda move into and back out of it deliberately. You can experience yourself and your life as a mass extinction event in a way that's like, the apotheosis of human self-understanding, but is also decidedly 100% post-human.

It is like having cthuluesque demon peering through your own skull. Post-human consciousness is here motherfuckers goddamn holy gently caress.

cool

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
*pulls a wild trout out of the river*

All you guys are gonna be gone soon, you know that? So glad we got to share this moment together...

*Humanely smashes it's brains out with a mallet*

*Sniff* so sad but so tasty. Hun do we still have cornmeal or did we use it all in last week's fry up?

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
I feel absolutely awful, just sick to my stomach, if I go a single day without killing a wild animal. What a waste.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm all about not harming nature but gently caress deer and geese and the ocean in general

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Climate change means I won't be able to kill animals as easily anymore, and that makes me sad!

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Rectal Death Adept posted:

If a solar EMP wiped out all power generation worldwide we still have the cities plumbed and wired and the rear end in a top hat desire to pollute put off a few decades.

If a solar storm causes an extreme geomagnetic reaction that causes all industry to short circuit and burst into flame taking the entire concept of technology and anything integrated with it out in fire then that stalls us a few decades more.

If we nuke ourselves and cool the atmosphere we will have pockets of industry waiting for us to adapt to the new radioactive environment assuming we don't make earth entirely uninhabitable.

If yellowstone goes and takes out the worst offenders it buys a little more time with an extreme check on the global temperatures rising.

If you are talking about some situation where humanity becomes benevolent and agrees to do this in an enlightened way to optimize our resources to save the most lives this mythical people still live here.

Dead is dead.

^

Oh, well, I'm not gonna argue against that. What I am arguing, I guess, is that there is a hypothetical state where humans exist and have some form of industry without destroying their ecological niche in the extreme near term. Sure it could still be something like the 100,000 year term, but, well. The sun has enough energy for a good long time, and the Earth's mantle has both vast amounts of energy and more than enough minerals. There are animals, even social animals that practice agriculture, that exist without exceeding the carrying capacity of the land. I think there's no reason why humans (maybe a somewhat different kind of human than we're used to, but still human) could not do the same.

So this state exists, hypothetically. But if you view history as a kind of decision graph, there's no clear path from here to there for human society. Makes the impending doom all the more bittersweet.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

again if they rebuild the pipeline, blowing it up is worse than just leaving it be for the environment.

only if blowing up the pipeline results in reduction in *consumption* does it actually help the climate. making TX natural gas winners and ND natural gas losers doesnt even help, its still worse than doing nothing.

I dunno, given the increasingly obvious catastrophe going on with the supply chain right now I'm thinking that the capitalist portrayal of the easily replaceable nature of physical infrastructure might be a bit overstated...

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

RIP Syndrome posted:

Oh, well, I'm not gonna argue against that. What I am arguing, I guess, is that there is a hypothetical state where humans exist and have some form of industry without destroying their ecological niche in the extreme near term. Sure it could still be something like the 100,000 year term, but, well. The sun has enough energy for a good long time, and the Earth's mantle has both vast amounts of energy and more than enough minerals. There are animals, even social animals that practice agriculture, that exist without exceeding the carrying capacity of the land. I think there's no reason why humans (maybe a somewhat different kind of human than we're used to, but still human) could do the same.

So this state exists, hypothetically. But if you view history as a kind of decision graph, there's no clear path from here to there for human society. Makes the impending doom all the more bittersweet.

I get what you mean. That is totally possible.

People might spit at the concept out of bitterness that it won't happen for us but there are a ton of common sense things a society that didn't prioritize currency could do even with our level of technology.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

RIP Syndrome posted:

I think there's no reason why humans (maybe a somewhat different kind of human than we're used to, but still human) could do the same.

so like Crakers

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

It's all about the natural cycle of life. To hunt is to show supreme respect for the untamed nature of earth. Two souls intertwine.

*aims at last of the white rhinos with a railgun mounted to a helicopter while shedding a tear*

thank you.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I fight anything smaller than a bear bare handed. Bears I will afford myself the luxury of a small stone knife.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Let he who hasn't shorn an elephant's tail off cast the first stone. Right at the elephant's big dumb head. Hit it real hard so it falls over and we can cut it's tail off!

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Here is a pic of me enjoying some of the last of nature. Gonna be so sad when this is all gone.

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 21:10 on Sep 26, 2021

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

breathing out a sigh of relief after harpooning the last sperm whale, "the great work is finally done"

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
"I sure owned that guy."

*bites into a chicken sandwich made from birds raised in basically a concentration camp for birds*

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the best way to take down any animal is to target their chakras

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Cold on a Cob posted:

so like Crakers

we prefer the term Biscuit e.g. Totalitarian Biscuit

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Sequoias on fire off the shoulder of Morro Rock. I watched tendies glittering in the freezer near the stuffed crust pizza.

All these moments will be lost in time. Like... beaches... in the rain. Time to lol

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

"I sure owned that guy."

*bites into a chicken sandwich made from birds raised in basically a concentration camp for birds*

Concentration camps? That's a ban+30 if I've ever seen one.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

EvilJoven posted:

"I sure owned that guy."

We view the world as being focused on and about us but really we're just the method that God has created to punish sinful animals. Like how the point of hell isn't to provide a place for demons and devils to live it's to gently caress up human souls.

Now I don't pretend to know what cows and chickens did in the real world to deserve this poo poo but it must have been pretty loving bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
job