Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Khizan posted:

TBH I am sort of expecting one of his Big Man Henkas.

From Tochinoshin? I think he tried that today, didn't quite work but he ended up winning anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I've decided that my gimmick for the next basho will be picking the roundest possible stable. Guys like Chiyomaru, Onosho, Takakeisho, Mitakeumi. Everyone between sphere and egg.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Shiroc posted:

I've decided that my gimmick for the next basho will be picking the roundest possible stable. Guys like Chiyomaru, Onosho, Takakeisho, Mitakeumi. Everyone between sphere and egg.

I did that shortly after joining fantasy, it was team Round Bois and I enjoyed every single day of the basho even though they did poorly. As long as Maru is on the team, it's worth doing. (Please stay up Chiyomaru, we need you :ohdear: )

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kenning posted:

40 bessantj

Alright, I usually aim for 38 points to get a kind of 8-7 result so happy with that! Everything else is a bonus now.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
drat some very fat stacks picked up in today's final match

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Terunofuji going bowling for gyoji in the grand yokozuna tradition. Seriously good match! I liked seeing Takakeisho even go for some belt-sumo once they were chest-to-chest. Still blows my mind how well Takakeisho has recovered, must be on some really high quality drugsfighting spirit

Kiribayama vs Tochinoshin was really bittersweet. Good to see Kiribayama get his kachi koshi but I really wish he didn't have to do it at the expense of my boy :smith: Really hoping Tochinoshin can pull off his recovery and go kachi koshi tomorrow.

Ura going to great lengths to keep Kaisei upright and on the dohyo after the ashitori was really heartwarming :unsmith: Ever since people pointed out how nice Kaisei is, I've notice that a lot of other rikishi seem to return the favour to him

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

whats for dinner posted:

Ura going to great lengths to keep Kaisei upright and on the dohyo after the ashitori was really heartwarming :unsmith: Ever since people pointed out how nice Kaisei is, I've notice that a lot of other rikishi seem to return the favour to him

Definitely! I was very worried for Kaisei for a moment because getting shoved off the dohyo in that position would have been seriously bad news. Thankfully Ura is a nice boy.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Takakeisho all things considered, that was an amazing showing this tournament where everyone had written him off. He gave a good effort against Teru too. I guess there is some pride in not screwing around against the big man compared to the half-assed, don’t get hurt effort he gave against Myogiryu the previous day.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Whoever said Tochinoshin is fighting like a dog who has just realised he's going to the vet, that was a very funny post and I've been enjoying it for days

What isn't funny is how I've gone from near the top of juryo to almost bottom, I'm throwing my mawashi on the ground and stomping on it. I'm ruined!
Can we get a hattorizakura gangtag for the biggest losers?

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 25, 2021

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Definitely Terunofuji's yusho. Myogiryu would have to beat him twice on the dot (once to force a playoff and again to win the yusho) and I just can't see that happening. Edit: Seems Terunofuji is actually against Shodai tomorrow and Myogiryu against Meisei. That will be interesting. I expect Shodai to lay down and die, he's got his eight wins and demonstrated amply that he doesn't care beyond this, meanwhile Meisei has his rank to fight for.

Takakeisho and Tochinoshin both had excellent bashos. Hoshoryu not so much, but still had a couple of thrilling bouts. You can count on that much from him at least.

VERY happy for Ichinojo. The usually sleepy giant not only reached Komusubi, but actually held onto it. I was not expecting that at all.
I don't know what he's been putting in his breakfast, but he needs to keep eating it

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 25, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Ichinojo... I don't know what he's been putting in his breakfast, but he needs to keep eating it.

Baby Star ramen, obviously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZWriqz4myE

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Shiroc posted:

I'm tempted to go full gimmick next time too, I had three kyujos this basho and I can't risk blighting more of my favorites :(- I have an eye on a roster of heels, ne'er-do-wells and guys I can never remember instead.

On today I was hoping for a Takakeisho win but he still fronted up really well after the start he had to the Basho, it's hard to see him putting a Yokozuna run together but he's such an exciting guy to watch on form, hopefully he gets healthy and puts some pressure on Teru and Hak next time.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Next time I will waffle about Tochinoshin but slam pick him anyways, as is my tradition. This is despite the fact that the M11+ slot is probably the most important one pointswise. :(

Ichinojo: Really glad to see him pick up his KK, especially since I forgot about that whole "No practicing or working out due to having COVID-19" thing when I picked him for my team.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Great matches today! Plus, it's always nice to head into day 15 with something still on the line. C'mon Myogiryu!

We have a bunch of 7-7 rikishi heading into day 15, so the scores are gonna jump around a lot. Looking forward to the special prize announcement.

Day 14 standings

Makuuchi

code:
48.5	Banana Canada
46.5	bartolimu
46.5	Tochiazuma
45.5	anakha
44.5	Brut
44.5	Maigius
44	pseudodragon
43.5	captainblastum
43.5	Dias
43.5	Fluffdaddy
43.5	LlamaTrauma
43.5	scripterror
43	bessantj
43	MalarkeyToboggan
42	Everyones Favorite Poster
42	GoatSeeGuy
41.5	Pakled
39	QuasiQuack
38.5	jmzero
38.5	Skjorte
38	Marching Powder
37.5	Tiny Bug Child
37.5	whats for dinner
36	Kenning
35.5	Bellwether
35.5	Charles Gnarwin
35	Khizan
34.5	sivad
33.5	Chinook
32.5	Beeswax
32.5	Helianthus Annuus
32	Lid
32	Thauros
32	Vargatron
31.5	KungFu Grip
31	MyChemicalImbalance
28	Scythe
Juryo

code:
49	Crusty Nutsack
47	ilmucche
47	Robviously
44	Ice Phisherman
43.5	Eli949
43	Liquid Communism
41.5	Diplomat
39	Martytoof
38.5	Shiroc
38	Netsky
37	Takuan
36	Gaghskull
36	Spokes
33.5	Halloween Jack
32.5	Iron Chef Nex
32.5	Teddybear
32	Communist Thoughts
31.5	Firebatgyro
30.5	Jobbo_Fett
29	NuclearPotato

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

It's the final day again and then macaron will be pink!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I think it'll be green!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Going red macaron

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I'm going to go with green as well!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Blue.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Feels like a green macaron basho.

Time to not go to sleep till they dig up the squid

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blue macaron!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Purple macaron in honour of Terunofuji's first basho as yokozuna

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Special prizes:

Outstanding performance: Daieisho
Technique: Myogiryu
Fighting spirit: Onosho (if he beats Tamawashi), Myogiryu (if he wins the yusho)

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
First makuuchi bout: wow, Old Man Shohozan back for one last hurrah at top level in november.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
We've got a few 7-7 vs 7-7 matches in the makuuchi today, should be good.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Sumo Talk posted:

We've got a few 7-7 vs 7-7 matches in the makuuchi today, should be yao cho.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm going to go with green as well!

Called it!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just had a quick look at sumo's oldest wrestler Hanakaze's (51 years old) tournament. Another basho in Jonidan he managed a winning score 4-3. All his opponents had at least one thing in common, none of them were born when Hanakaze debuted. The closest is Sakura who was born in the same year Hanakaze debuted (1986) but a few months after his debut. Sakura debuted in 2003 and has yet to rise above division 5.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Congrats to Banana Canada!

Picking the winner AND the two runners-up? That's Hakuho-level fantasy sumo riught there.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

I am still extraordinarily disappointed that the championship got decided without the two contenders ever fighting. Even if Myogiryu didn't have a chance of beating Terunofuji I still think he should've gotten a shot. Still, congrats to the big man on getting to hoist the cup on his inaugural basho as yokozuna.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

whats for dinner posted:

I am still extraordinarily disappointed that the championship got decided without the two contenders ever fighting. Even if Myogiryu didn't have a chance of beating Terunofuji I still think he should've gotten a shot. Still, congrats to the big man on getting to hoist the cup on his inaugural basho as yokozuna.

Yeah I legit thought that was going to be the matchup on the final day, but I guess it couldn't work out quite that way with the roster. Meisei and Shodai still needed to fight their respective opponents on the last day and that aspect of the planning takes precedence over a yokozuna scrapping with an M10.

This was a good basho generally but there were very few surprises and little drama. Takakeisho trying new things while recovering from injury and Takayasu getting deleted are the only things of note really.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

omfg :(

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1442197463100579845

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Well poo poo. At least he went out on a high (covid notwithstanding). Came back, got the yusho, beat Teru, retired.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Shame that we couldn’t get him facing off against yokozuna Teru but can’t blame him in the least.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Wow. Had to happen eventually but still doesn't feel good happening.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

I know that was a weak basho, but that's no reason to quit.

Here's to a long career annoying the JSA from the inside.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Perhaps the most dominant athlete in any sport. The injuries really stacked up so it's not surprising. Hakuho oyakata should be interesting at least.

Just to put his records in perspective. If Terunofuji wins every basho from now on, he'll equal Hakuho's record in May of 2028. If he never loses another match again it will still take him 51 basho to equal Hakuho's 1187 wins.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
It had to happen someday but… just one day after a basho he didn’t even play in?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

never forget the greatest of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

A 14-year reign on top, capped off with a zensho-yusho.

Over that 14-year span, he saw 4 yokozuna promotions and 4 retirements.

Three yokozuna who were promoted during his time on top retired before he did.

He went 86-4 (96%) in a calendar twice in consecutive years.

66 other yokozuna have less yushos (14 and below) than Hakuho has zensho-yushos (16).

The undisputed GOAT.