Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Something I also discovered recently: if you don't feel like actually doing the crafting itself, about half of the daily GC turn-ins can just be bought from various vendors (frequently the one in the city market half a screen away). Particularly for somebody on the trial where you need to blow cash to keep under the cap, trading a few hundred/thousand gil for a no-effort crafter level for under a minute's worth of walking isn't bad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Finally started Stormblood in earnest tonight.

About how long does it take for the main story to send you to Hingashi?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You get there pretty early, at level 61.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Thanks for all the advice on the professions. I dipped my toe in a couple and crafting is way more involved than I expected. I'll wait until I unlock the beast tribe like someone earlier said. I do have another question.

Is there any reason to not sell off all the low level gear I'm accumulating?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Spaseman posted:

Thanks for all the advice on the professions. I dipped my toe in a couple and crafting is way more involved than I expected. I'll wait until I unlock the beast tribe like someone earlier said. I do have another question.

Some people like to keep low-level gear around for when they level other classes, but if you're not worried about that, you can just vendor it. There are other options for crafters and above a certain Grand Company rank you can turn dungeon drops in for seals, but regular (white-name) gear can be vendored without much risk and readily replaced.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Spaseman posted:

You can use it while leveling another job but if you want more inventory space just sell it, yeah.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Only things you should probably keep are the lvl 50/60/70 ones you have bought with Tomestones that are also useable for leveling another class.
You can dump them to your retainer or in your glamour dresser.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 25, 2021

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

So I've been slowly leveling up my retainer and I just realized that I don't know why. None of the stuff she obtains when she goes out and levels is useful in any way. What is the goal of leveling a retainer, anyway?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Peachfart posted:

So I've been slowly leveling up my retainer and I just realized that I don't know why. None of the stuff she obtains when she goes out and levels is useful in any way. What is the goal of leveling a retainer, anyway?

Bulk gathering, especially at max level. If you do crafting and keep your retainers working, you'll have a good stock of your base materials.

Quick ventures can return rare primal drops, rare or otherwise cash shop only dyes, and minions.

Long ventures have a few other rare drops like above.

Even if you don't get the rare stuff, it's a steady cash flow.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Try to make one a fisher if you can, that way you can tell it to go get specific fish that are a pain in the rear end to get yourself, and still use it to generate steady income at max level. Your combat one can farm mob drops passively as well

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

There are also some furniture items that sell for decent prices. 90% of what you get from quick ventures are vendor/gc seal trash but it all averages out to a decent amount of money for no effort other than talking to your retainer every hour and putting some stuff on the market board.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I use it for levequest mats.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Retainers can be feast or famine sometimes in terms of sending them on quick or 18 hour expeditions, but GC seals to buy ventures are in abundance if you just roll on everything in dungeons, and it's nice to be able to bulk acquire stuff like hunted materials, seeds, etc that are a pain to go get yourself.

But sometimes you also win the dye lotto or get nice minions or glamour pieces to sell. I unloaded a fat cat from my fisher this week for 513k gil. That sort of thing.

Basically you're going to be speaking to your retainers anyway to sell goods or pick up your cash, might as well supplement that for a few extra clicks.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Can retainers only ever be the original ARR classes/jobs? Because I’ve kinda only been keeping up on leveling ones from expansions.

And how much does gear matter for them?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Regalingualius posted:

Can retainers only ever be the original ARR classes/jobs? Because I’ve kinda only been keeping up on leveling ones from expansions.

They can be any job. I have an Astrologian, because they can take my hand me downs.

Ventures have a minimum gear level or gathering stat to complete at all. After that, if their gear is good enough, you'll get a notice that they have a better chance or receiving rare materials.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Regalingualius posted:

You can get books from the vocate to change retainers to actual job jobs, so you can easily keep a hunting retainer up to speed by making it your main combat job.

Outside of gear minimums for specific venture tiers, many items have a three tier rate of returns. For example, some items may have a base of 10 items over 60 minutes, then step-up to 20/50 and finally 30/40.

Don't go nuts outfitting them, but for combat ones absolutely just give them your hand me downs and for gathering retainers just toss them some vendor upgrades now and again.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Have there been any indications that EW will also bring yet more housing plots to the already-existing ones? I know Ishgard is getting a brand new section, but I love Shirogane.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Not so far no, adding new housing requires new server infrastructure and so they tend to notify us well in advance.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Apologies if this question applies more to a different thread.
Recently got a controller (Uberwith USB50 Wired), and while there are times when it was fine, there have been instances of lag (Worst I’ve seen was in a dungeon where my teammates froze in place multiple times) along with disconnects (both problems I have not had while playing on Keyboard and Mouse). I have heard of a solution of Overclocking, but when I try that, my controller gets a driver error. Any advice?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Is there something I’m missing? I’m trying to buy venture coins from the Maelstrom quartermaster, but I can’t find it anywhere in their sale tabs

Never mind, just saw you gotta click on lowest rank

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I upgraded my trial account to a full yesterday in part due to wanting to try out the PvP and it’s a shame so many people write it off immediately. I’ve only tried frontlines so far but I’m enjoying it way more than I ever did any epic battleground in WoW.

Haven’t had a chance to try the other modes yet due to the long queue times.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If you're not trying to go down the Feast ranked season road, PvP in 14 is generally chaotic and fun and still rewarding enough in a loss that it doesn't tend to get too ragey.

I'll note as well that one of the Irregular Tomestone ("Mogtomes") events is coming up next month after the 15 crossover ends - those events tend to be really great times to work on Rival Wings wins if you want some of those mount rewards since the community tends to spam RW for tomes as an alternative to MSQDR or something.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Is the market board global, or are your listings only viewable in whatever city your retainer is set to?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Regalingualius posted:

Is the market board global, or are your listings only viewable in whatever city your retainer is set to?

Global for your server. People in any city can see your listings.

City only changes tax rate, or it did. I thought they might have normalized it.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Regalingualius posted:

Available in all cities. There’s some archaic system about which city you list it in and which it gets bought in affecting the market tax rate (aka the system’s cut to bleed some gil from the economy), but it’s never worth worrying about.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Well I officially hit Shadowbringers. They took away my sprout icon and now people are gonna think I know what I'm doing in this game :v:

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I never think anyone knows what they are doing. It's why I feel comfortable playing this game. I fit right in.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What worries me is when I see a sprout in Shadowbringers content, it means they rushed through or bought a boost and probably have no clue what they're doing.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Making progress with the MSQ. I'm on 'Road to Redemption (Lvl. 38)' right now, so I'm getting close to being done with the Level 31-40. Still over-leveled a bit (Level 43). Maybe by the end of the week, I'll have finished the MSQ, and will have enough MGP to get the car.

I'm still leveling as a Black Mage, but I keep thinking about trying one of the other classes. My original goal was to make a Dark Knight (which I think I should have access to, since it's part of Heavensward), though I wonder if I should try one of the martial classes like Lancer or Gladiator beforehand (I actually don't know if you need to have one of those as a prerequisite).

Was also thinking about whether or not I should actually buy/subscribe to the game, what with Endwalker coming up here in like two months. I'll probably go through Heavensward first before I decide.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Skypie posted:

Well I officially hit Shadowbringers. They took away my sprout icon and now people are gonna think I know what I'm doing in this game :v:

This is no lie a kind of low key worry for me.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The only time anything thinks differently or assumes anything of you is when you have the mentor crown.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Max Wilco posted:

Making progress with the MSQ. I'm on 'Road to Redemption (Lvl. 38)' right now, so I'm getting close to being done with the Level 31-40. Still over-leveled a bit (Level 43). Maybe by the end of the week, I'll have finished the MSQ, and will have enough MGP to get the car.

I'm still leveling as a Black Mage, but I keep thinking about trying one of the other classes. My original goal was to make a Dark Knight (which I think I should have access to, since it's part of Heavensward), though I wonder if I should try one of the martial classes like Lancer or Gladiator beforehand (I actually don't know if you need to have one of those as a prerequisite).

Was also thinking about whether or not I should actually buy/subscribe to the game, what with Endwalker coming up here in like two months. I'll probably go through Heavensward first before I decide.

Yeah, you have access to Heavensward classes, except they're locked until you finish your ARR storyline.
You're about halfway there currently.

Biggest reasons to buy before finishing Heavensward is to unlock Red Mage and Samurai at lvl 50 (No story progression requirements), to join a free company (Goon guilds or otherwise) or have access to market board/retainers (Very useful, if you're interested in crafting)

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

squirrelzipper posted:

This is no lie a kind of low key worry for me.

In all honesty, I don't get particularly anxious now because the people seem pretty cool. If I mention that I'm new to a dungeon as the tank, everyone says "oh neat! have fun!" and point out any particularly unique mechanics to look for. I don't think I've ever had anyone be rude or mean in dungeons so far.

but, Shadowbringers also seems to let you do dungeons with NPCs which I think is cool because then I can sorta get a feel for layout, which trash is dangerous, and what bosses do without putting other people's time in jeopardy. so I can learn the dungeon in a practice mode before going into a live-fire scenario with other people. given that this is actual "current" content and I'm not gonna get swept through it all with ez mode gear from quests, getting a better idea of how a dungeon flows is a big peace of mind thing for me.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

adhuin posted:

Yeah, you have access to Heavensward classes, except they're locked until you finish your ARR storyline.
You're about halfway there currently.

Biggest reasons to buy before finishing Heavensward is to unlock Red Mage and Samurai at lvl 50 (No story progression requirements), to join a free company (Goon guilds or otherwise) or have access to market board/retainers (Very useful, if you're interested in crafting)

Classes, crafting, and companies are the prime reasons why I'm thinking about going premium. I don't think I'm on a server with one of the Goon guilds, but it's part of the same group, so it would be a matter transferring. I've done the dungeons and trials (boss fights) with random people, though there's usually a long wait time (I'm guessing because most people aren't doing low-level content). Those only have four people for a party, but I assume late-game stuff lets you have more people in a group.

I'm not really bothered if I'm not able to access Red Mage or Samurai for Heavensward. That said, though, I don't know how transferring to those job actually works. If you have to be Level 50 to access it, then I imagine you start at Level 50, rather than Level 1, as per the other starting classes. (I'm assuming they work like how I heard WOW handled Death Knight and Demon Hunter, where you had to unlock the class by reaching a certain level and/or doing certain content). One of the things I was thinking about today was that if I was going to start leveling something like Gladiator or Lancer or something, I'd need to find quests to do in order to gain EXP, but since I've done a lot of the story quests, and a chunk of side quests, I'd either have to seek out side quests I missed, or grind enemies/dungeons/trials to level up.

I haven't messed around much with crafting, but then that's because (as someone mentioned a few posts ago) it's not really viable if you don't have access to the market board (which you don't have in the trial version). I've only gotten a few levels in Weaver, but I think the other recommended classes for Black Mages are Goldsmith (for enchanted jewelry), Alchemist (for potions), and Carpenter (for shields).

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 27, 2021

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
One of the things that you may not be accounting for is the Armory Bonus: any combat class below your max level class will be getting 100% bonus xp until level 70, and 50% thereafter until cap. Leveling jobs after your first is by design, quicker.

Also, tanking/healing tends to go quite faster in most roulettes.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Max Wilco posted:

Classes, crafting, and companies are the prime reasons why I'm thinking about going premium. I don't think I'm on a server with one of the Goon guilds, but it's part of the same group, so it would be a matter transferring. I've done the dungeons and trials (boss fights) with random people, though there's usually a long wait time (I'm guessing because most people aren't doing low-level content). Those only have four people for a party, but I assume late-game stuff lets you have more people in a group.

Your long wait times are because you're a DPS. You'll usually insta-queue if you go in as a tank or healer.

efb

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Max Wilco posted:

I'm not really bothered if I'm not able to access Red Mage or Samurai for Heavensward. That said, though, I don't know how transferring to those job actually works. If you have to be Level 50 to access it, then I imagine you start at Level 50, rather than Level 1, as per the other starting classes. (I'm assuming they work like how I heard WOW handled Death Knight and Demon Hunter, where you had to unlock the class by reaching a certain level and/or doing certain content). One of the things I was thinking about today was that if I was going to start leveling something like Gladiator or Lancer or something, I'd need to find quests to do in order to gain EXP, but since I've done a lot of the story quests, and a chunk of side quests, I'd either have to seek out side quests I missed, or grind enemies/dungeons/trials to level up.

I haven't messed around much with crafting, but then that's because (as someone mentioned a few posts ago) it's not really viable if you don't have access to the market board (which you don't have in the trial version). I've only gotten a few levels in Weaver, but I think the other recommended classes for Black Mages are Goldsmith (for enchanted jewelry), Alchemist (for potions), and Carpenter (for shields).

The HW classes start at 30 (Machinist, Dark Knight, Astrologian), the Stormblood at 50 (Red mage, Samurai), and Shadowbringer at 60 (Gunbreaker, Dancer). It's super nice. Red mage is super fun and is my DPS class of choice right now.

Don't try to do quests for a level 1 ARR class. Do your hunt logs and guildhests, maybe a leve or four. Alternately bring them into Palace of the Dead or I have also heard PvP is good (you can switch out once you are in the game and still get xp for the new class).

For crafting I have mine at 40-50 except culinarian and fishing just by doing Grand Company turnins whenever I remembered to. I haven't done much now that i'm starting Stormblood but if you do one you might as well do them all since they are all co-dependent in some way.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

Starting up as a red mage was quite simple; really didn't require a whole lot of cognitive bandwidth

And same for leveling level 1 alts. you do hunting log, FATES, and class quests which rocket you to 16 within an hour or two, then roulettes and FATES

supposedly it gets grim 50-60, but I think that's if you try and poopsock level; taking it easy and running roulettes daily (including frontline; poo poo gives so much xp) + some other content seems like it's get through the 50-60 hump within about two weeks

my tldr for ff14 so far: just take it easy bruh. ain't no rush and the more you try to rush it, the more sharp edges of the game you'll feel

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Dr_Gee posted:

Starting up as a red mage was quite simple; really didn't require a whole lot of cognitive bandwidth

:yeah:
Biggest Hurdle with lvl 50/60 jobs is the initial setup of the buttons. So many buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Max Wilco posted:

Those jobs work just like any other, but they don't start at level 1, and you don't have to earn your job stone later, you just start with it. It's just like the crafting classes, you can set up a gear set and change jobs by pressing one button. You start at level 50 (or 30 for HW jobs, or 60 for Shadowbringers jobs), with a bar stuffed with skills that you then have to figure out. The Stormblood and Shadowbringers jobs also give you some starter equipment, but the HW ones don't, which is kind of annoying.

Leveling other classes without story content is definitely different. Sidequests aren't the problem, they're not good for XP anyway. You level mostly using roulettes, specifically leveling up to level 50, and just repeatedly doing the highest level dungeon available to you. You can also work on beast tribe quests, once you get past level 50, in the expansions they sync to your level and give a good chunk. PVP roulette is really nice for leveling, it gives you a lot of XP and can be done from level 30 on. In the very early levels, 1-15 before you can access dungeons, you can get by with a combination of your hunting log and leves (this is the one time in the game they're worth doing, for combat classes).

It may sound like leveling off classes will be a lot slower, but that's not really the case, despite the lack of those juicy story quests. You get what's called the Armory Bonus if you're playing a class that's lower than your highest. It's +100% across the board, up to level 70. I started leveling lancer/dragoon last thursday, and now I'm already level 47.