Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

well you can't say he didn't go out on top, making the current yokozuna look like a child by beating the tar out of him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I didn’t like him but obviously GOAT so pouring one out today.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It's a good time for him to retire, I think. His knee is getting worse and and it's unlikely that he'll top a zensho-yusho over a yokozuna candidate as a performance to go out on. It would suck to hang on a bit more and have his last basho be a 3-1-11 kyujo or the like.

Also, Miyagino-oyakata reaches retirement age next August and IIRC Hakuho is expected to be his successor, so it's a good time to start getting all the ducks in a row for that.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Sadly this was inevitable once Shonanzakura was no longer there to balance Hakuho out :(.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It's almost paradoxical, but Hakuho's zensho-yusho and the manner in which he beat Terunofuji with a roar, it's the right time to go, the absolute best time to go. A true giant of the sport who was the greatest to the very end. He's said his bit & done his bit.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I reqatched Hakuho v Terunofuji and the sickening crunch sound of his elbow blast is just... Teru had to be concussed from that first hit.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sad to see the GOAT go but also happy to see fewer intentional concussion-baiting slaps, forearms and shoulders in the dohyo

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

He's up there with Gretzky, Brady, and Rickey Henderson for sure.

Not many twists and turns in this basho but definitely some great matches, even if it was my guy getting ipponzeoi'd.

Thanks again Kenning! And amazing job, Banana Canada!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Scythe posted:

It had to happen someday but… just one day after a basho he didn’t even play in?

To be a little cynical, it's a good way to take the news cycle over. So now it can be, "Terunofuji won his first as a Yokozuna but Hakuho is retiring!"
Is that the actual reason? We'll never know but it's one idea at least.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Wandering into a world without Hakuho at the top is going to be strange. There's plenty of sumotori who got into it because of him. He's going to be a living legend and hopefully he can translate that into success as a stable head.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

net work error posted:

To be a little cynical, it's a good way to take the news cycle over. So now it can be, "Terunofuji won his first as a Yokozuna but Hakuho is retiring!"
Is that the actual reason? We'll never know but it's one idea at least.

https://twitter.com/InsideSportJP/status/1442234950564990978

Definitely getting that result, whether or not it was the intention

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

this sucks, after that last basho where he went 15-0 i was really hoping for at least one basho with both he and terunofuji as active yokozuna

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
It was a privelige to see him in active competition.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You hate to see the big man go, but he went out on top. I also would have liked to see a contested yusho, but there's been some great bouts this tournament, and I'm pretty happy to see Teru lift the cup now that Hakuho is out of the picture.

Fantasy results are in!

Final results

Makuuchi

code:
65.5	Banana Canada
59.5	bartolimu
59.5	Tochiazuma
57	anakha
57	pseudodragon
55	bessantj
55	Brut
54	captainblastum
54	Everyones Favorite Poster
54	GoatSeeGuy
54	LlamaTrauma
54	scripterror
53.5	Dias
53.5	Fluffdaddy
53	MalarkeyToboggan
51.5	jmzero
51	QuasiQuack
49.5	Tiny Bug Child
48.5	Skjorte
48.5	whats for dinner
48	Pakled
47.5	Maigius
45.5	Marching Powder
44.5	Bellwether
44.5	Charles Gnarwin
43	Kenning
42	sivad
41.5	Khizan
41	Thauros
40.5	Chinook
40.5	Helianthus Annuus
40.5	KungFu Grip
40.5	Vargatron
39	Beeswax
38	MyChemicalImbalance
36	Lid
35	Scythe
Juryo

code:
59	Crusty Nutsack
58	Robviously
55.5	ilmucche
53	Ice Phisherman
52.5	Eli949
48	Diplomat
48	Martytoof
48	Netsky
47.5	Liquid Communism
47	Takuan
43.5	Spokes
42.5	Halloween Jack
42.5	Shiroc
42.5	Teddybear
42	Gaghskull
40.5	Firebatgyro
40.5	NuclearPotato
39	Communist Thoughts
39	Iron Chef Nex
36	Jobbo_Fett
Congratulations to Banana Canada, who took the yusho on the strength of Terunofuji, Myogiryu, and Endo. A very impressive showing. This was a basho plagued by withdrawals and subsequent make-koshi, although the final result was determined by the selection of the veteran Myogiryu, whose jun-yusho and gino-sho really clinched it. Can't ever count out a wily veteran.

Down in juryo, Crusty Nutsack took the lead early and held it until the end with a very solid set of kachi-koshi. They, along with fellow juryo Robviously, were the only contestants to navigate the storm of kyujo to manage all KK.

As a special note, GoatSeeGuy has now logged 7 straight kachi-koshi, and proving that they remain our Hakuho. This 7 straight KK is acknowledged below.

On to special prizes! A refresher, these are the special prizes:

Gino-sho/Technique: No make-koshi on your team.
Kanto-sho/Fighting Spirit: Exceptional performance from a low rank, or other acknowledgement of great performance.
Shukun-sho/Outstanding Performance: Getting the highest number of accolades (i.e. kinboshi, yusho/jun-yusho, and sansho) in the field.

So, who are the awardees?

Gino-sho: Crusty Nutsack, Robviously
Kanto-sho: Banana Canada, GoatSeeGuy
Shukun-sho: Banana Canada

Congrats to all the players! I'll get working on the goonzuke, and hopefully be able to post it later today.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 27, 2021

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Not a terrible basho when it's all said and done, also it was really fun to watch the matches with my GF and cheer for the dudes we picked, haha. Teru carried the team but getting 4 KKs isn't too shabby.

Low Tier God Endo would've been a great pickup but alas. I'm content with my Terutsuyoshi position.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Pretty ordinary basho for me and there's nobody to blame but myself because I'm pretty sure I got all my first picks or near enough to it. Thanks again, Kenning, for doing such an amazing job running it!

I'm new enough to watching sumo that I've never really gotten to experience prime Hakuho. I'm glad that he's finishing on top!

Eli949
Oct 23, 2008
Very proud of my stable pulling it together down the stretch - Kotoeko and Wakatakakage both made comebacks to get K-K. And only three losing days out of fifteen! A good, consistent performance. Sad for Takayasu though. Hopefully next tournament he comes strong and healthy.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Chiyoshoma completely tanked my overall fantasy score but by god Heels And Randos Stable needed the guy who would bust out a henka on the last day to secure 5-10.

Sad to see Hakuho go. I wasn't watching yet at his peak but I still got to see a guy who outclassed everyone else on the dohyo. He proved his final dominance over Terunofuji, Terunofuji proved his over everyone else and we move into the new era.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i'm glad teru has another narative to secure his greatness other than 'the other yokozuna'. his recovery arc and utter dominance over several hakuho-less basho is enough to secure a solid legacy.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Scythe posted:

It had to happen someday but… just one day after a basho he didn’t even play in?

He had to announce yesterday or probably by now at the latest. The banzuke gets drawn up right after the basho with the entire thing drawn up by the time they announce the juryo promotions. So at the very least even if he didn’t have all the paperwork done, he needed to tell the committee to not put him on if he doesn’t want to take up a space in November.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 27, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
4 kk and tochinoshin 7-8 is a good basho. I think enough of the lower ranked guys did poorly that he'll be around for next basho (to slam pick)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's almost paradoxical, but Hakuho's zensho-yusho and the manner in which he beat Terunofuji with a roar, it's the right time to go, the absolute best time to go. A true giant of the sport who was the greatest to the very end. He's said his bit & done his bit.

I feel like Teru winning his first basho as Yokozuna might be part of his decision. Knowing he can tap out with a worthy Yokozuna at the top of the banzuke.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Well you knew it had to happen soon and apparently with his knee not responding to his wishes it seems like a good time for Hakuho to retire, what's left for him? It has been pretty cool to watch him.

Happy with my fantasy basho result. I thought Ura did well in the end, it's hard to believe that he's only been in sumo since 2015 and spent a year and half of that injured, his bounce back to getting within a whisker of his highest ever ranking, Maegashira #4, has been remarkable to watch.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
One silver lining is that now my picture banzuke from July retroactively becomes Hakuho's last real basho even if he was on the banzuke one more time.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

i'm glad teru has another narative to secure his greatness other than 'the other yokozuna'. his recovery arc and utter dominance over several hakuho-less basho is enough to secure a solid legacy.

The recovery alone will be in the history books. Going straight to Yokozuna from Jonidan in a straight line is completely unprecedented.
While not the giant Hakuho is, Terunofuji will have his own legacy for sure. I would expect him to be more Asashoryu than Kakuryu.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I hope his legacy isn't just limited to the recovery and actually becomes a story of being a top yokozuna as well.

Currently, he's got 5 yushos under his belt, and he'd need probably at least 8-9 to be considered in the top tier of yokozuna. If his knees hold up for at least another year, he's got a shot.

If his knees hold up for at least another year...

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

Makuuchi

code:
39	Beeswax

My weakness for picking promising makuuchi newcomers came back to bite me hard, alongside Big Bear having a nightmare basho. I am dedicated to redeeming myself and showing the world my real fantasy sumo in November.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The recovery alone will be in the history books. Going straight to Yokozuna from Jonidan in a straight line is completely unprecedented.
While not the giant Hakuho is, Terunofuji will have his own legacy for sure. I would expect him to be more Asashoryu than Kakuryu.

His rise through makuuchi just blows my mind. He went from M17e to Yokozuna in seven bashos. Of those seven, he took three yusho, three jun-yusho, three technique prizes, and two outstanding performance prizes.

I don't think it's actually possible to climb through makuuchi faster than that.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Confirmation from the bbc
I guess this really is it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I got a bit messed up with injuries and ended up getting owned, but I'm very happy that Chiyomaru made it out with 8 wins and think he had a great basho.
Having a few days with 0 wins makes you appreciate the ones you do get.

I look forward to coming back next time and doing my best sumo

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, just realized that I didn’t even get to see Hakuho in person. That big jerk sat out the basho I went to see :mad:

Oh well, at least I got into the sport where I got to witness the height of inarguably greatest Yokozuna of all time.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Beeswax posted:

My weakness for picking promising makuuchi newcomers came back to bite me hard, alongside Big Bear having a nightmare basho. I am dedicated to redeeming myself and showing the world my real fantasy sumo in November.

We're going to have to redouble our efforts on the practice dohyo...

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It's like loving Michael Jordan all over again. Yes, yes, he's the GOAT, now retire already. We can't miss you if you don't leave!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Hirayuki posted:

It's like loving Michael Jordan all over again. Yes, yes, he's the GOAT, now retire already. We can't miss you if you don't leave!

We absolutely need a sumo version of Space Jam.

Pleased that my guys pulled it out enough on the final day that I ended up with one of those 7-8 makekoshi. I’ll drop on the goonzuke, but hopefully only a little bit. Thanks, Kenning, for running the tournament.

Terunofuji spending 2021 only getting yusho and jun-yusho is some real badass poo poo. He’s been delivering yokozuna sumo well before getting the rope and the only enemy to his dominance is his own health. I didn’t notice much wincing the last couple of tournaments so I hope his knees are feeling great.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

drat it's gonna be hard as hell for anyone to beat 45 tourney wins. Most wrestlers can't even stay healthy enough or talented enough to remain in the top division to even accomplish that, let alone win.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Wow. From booking Nagoya 2019 tickets on a whim, going in completely clueless, asking last-minute in the old thread what to expect and who to cheer for (what's an Ichinojo :confused:) to winning fantasy sumo two years later!

I got immensely lucky with my M6-10 slot. Dodged a bullet flying monkey and got my 2nd choice of Myogiryu who pulled off a performance good enough to offset Takayasu who I stuck with. I toyed with the idea of trading him for Mitakeumi near the deadline but since I was in or near the lead, I figured why tempt fate? And because Tochiazuma and bartolimu were hot on my heels, I was wondering before the final day if I was entitled to double jun-yusho points if both Myogiryu and Endo were to end up as the only two in runner-up position and it looks like the answer is yes.

Big thanks to Kenning for the hard work setting this up and running it and for the various congrats!

Does this mean I get a yokogoona tag?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

drat it's gonna be hard as hell for anyone to beat 45 tourney wins. Most wrestlers can't even stay healthy enough or talented enough to remain in the top division to even accomplish that, let alone win.

Did a quick scan of the current Makuuchi crop to see how big an accomplishment 45 tournaments is and of the current 41 (not counting Hak), I counted 10 guys with over 45 tournaments so yeah, if you can get in that many tournaments that’s a pretty great career.

Endo was just in his 47th Makuuchi basho as a benchmark of how good/consistent you need to be to reach that level.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

The worst part about watching sumo is the day after a basho ends and you have to get used to a world without watching sumo every day again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Banana Canada posted:

Does this mean I get a yokogoona tag?

You should! Fluffdaddy or Mekchu should be able to do that for you. Hopefully they see in the thread, but if not I can PM them in a day or so.

Didn't get the goonzuke done yesterday, but I promise it's coming soon.