Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Flytitle posted:

One of the things that you may not be accounting for is the Armory Bonus: any combat class below your max level class will be getting 100% bonus xp until level 70, and 50% thereafter until cap. Leveling jobs after your first is by design, quicker.

Also, tanking/healing tends to go quite faster in most roulettes.

I've noticed I get a 50% bonus when leveling as Black Mage by default, though I don't know why that is.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

The HW classes start at 30 (Machinist, Dark Knight, Astrologian), the Stormblood at 50 (Red mage, Samurai), and Shadowbringer at 60 (Gunbreaker, Dancer). It's super nice. Red mage is super fun and is my DPS class of choice right now.

Don't try to do quests for a level 1 ARR class. Do your hunt logs and guildhests, maybe a leve or four. Alternately bring them into Palace of the Dead or I have also heard PvP is good (you can switch out once you are in the game and still get xp for the new class).

For crafting I have mine at 40-50 except culinarian and fishing just by doing Grand Company turnins whenever I remembered to. I haven't done much now that i'm starting Stormblood but if you do one you might as well do them all since they are all co-dependent in some way.

Red Mages seem to have some pretty cool gear from what I've seen.

One craft I need to do that I've been putting off is Disciple of the Hand/Land (forget which), because there are some blue quests that are still locked because it's a prerequisite.

I think the thing with going premium for me right now is the price. It's $60 to get everything that's already out (Stormblood and Shadowbringers). For the monthly fee, there's Entry Tier (30 days at $12.99/month for 1 character per server, 8 characters max) and Standard (30, 90, or 180 days for $14.99, $13.99, or $12.99/month for 8 characters per server, 40 characters max). Thought about doing the $12.99 point, for either Entry or Standard. In the case of the standard, I felt like it would be the kind of thing where if I wasn't in the mood to play the game for a week or two, I wouldn't have to worry about not getting enough time in for what I was paying.

Dr_Gee posted:

my tldr for ff14 so far: just take it easy bruh. ain't no rush and the more you try to rush it, the more sharp edges of the game you'll feel

Only reason why I'm rushing through the MSQ right now is to do the FFXV content before time runs out. Once I get that out of the way, I'm going to slow down and play more casually so I can take some time and decide if I want to pay money for the game.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I didn't find 50-60 too bad though HW has a bit of padding at the start.

The 2.x quests had me around 54 to start so I levelled red mage during the catch up.

By Stormblood's end I had 3 classes at 70+ (4 if you count arcanist as 2)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Max Wilco posted:

I've noticed I get a 50% bonus when leveling as Black Mage by default, though I don't know why that is.

Red Mages seem to have some pretty cool gear from what I've seen.

One craft I need to do that I've been putting off is Disciple of the Hand/Land (forget which), because there are some blue quests that are still locked because it's a prerequisite.

I think the thing with going premium for me right now is the price. It's $60 to get everything that's already out (Stormblood and Shadowbringers). For the monthly fee, there's Entry Tier (30 days at $12.99/month for 1 character per server, 8 characters max) and Standard (30, 90, or 180 days for $14.99, $13.99, or $12.99/month for 8 characters per server, 40 characters max). Thought about doing the $12.99 point, for either Entry or Standard. In the case of the standard, I felt like it would be the kind of thing where if I wasn't in the mood to play the game for a week or two, I wouldn't have to worry about not getting enough time in for what I was paying.

They don't nickel and dime with the expansions, buying the latest one gets you the previous ones too. There's absolutely no reason to buy Stormblood nowadays, it's included with Shadowbringers.

Since it's so close, the best option would probably be buying Endwalker, honestly. It gets you the previous expansions... but you wouldn't be able to access them until November 23rd. It's a weird and dumb caveat, I don't know why they do it that way.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

This is probably rested EXP bonus.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
One thing I don't seen mentioned much is the weird pace to msq levels towards the end of arr 2.0. If you are using the msq to measure how close you are to reaching the FFXV event you're really kind of looking at 46 as your goal. There are no msq quests at 47 and 48, only 3 at 49 and then you have the grand finale when you reach 50. Those last 5 levels of msq go really fast and many people back in the day had to grind fates in North Thanalan to actually progress the plot. This is the blessing to being so over leveled these days that new players won't see much of this xp gap.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Begemot posted:

They don't nickel and dime with the expansions, buying the latest one gets you the previous ones too. There's absolutely no reason to buy Stormblood nowadays, it's included with Shadowbringers.

Since it's so close, the best option would probably be buying Endwalker, honestly. It gets you the previous expansions... but you wouldn't be able to access them until November 23rd. It's a weird and dumb caveat, I don't know why they do it that way.

I assume by "buying Stormblood and Shadowbringers" they're talking about the complete edition.

The expansion unlocks are tied to the "retail" CD key that they provide when the expansion goes live (either buying it that day or having them mail it to you from a pre-order). The pre-order key is separate and just gives you the item goodies. I would wager it's probably some sort of account issue in terms of the way it handles the pre-order item codes versus the permanent license key for that platform.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

kinda related to the license purchase talk, but I can now confirm that pre-ordering Endwalker and then buying the Starter Edition on PS4 will get you all the bonuses the moment you start your free 30 days

I got a prompt to register the Starter Edition when I logged in, and then immediately a second prompt to register Endwalker.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Did something happen with the quest log descriptions/recaps of the MSQ in Stormblood? Because all I’ve been seeing are just one-liners for the initial goal of the quest.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
They stopped doing detailed quest journals for almost all quests in SB for whatever reason - I think any quest which doesn't have a picture? Probably just ended up being work that could be better spent elsewhere.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zandar posted:

Probably just ended up being work that could be better spent elsewhere.

It's that. The translation team nearly worked itself to death on Heavensward, and so they looked for ways to reduce the amount of text that would need to be translated.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Currently at level 35, about to do the mansion dungeon.

It feels like the game has really slowed down since 30. The main story quests were kind of interesting until the Slyphs, and now it's just ok. Next abilities through leveling are quite a few sessions away.

I'm reading Sanguinia's newbie diary in the other thread as I progress, and it's good poo poo.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Max Wilco posted:

If you're on PC/Mac, the non-Steam complete version is on sale for $24 again: https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/564956/final-fantasy-xiv-online-complete-edition-pc-download

It makes it not so bad to get stuff through Shadowbringers before Endwalker.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Heran Bago posted:

Currently at level 35, about to do the mansion dungeon.

It feels like the game has really slowed down since 30. The main story quests were kind of interesting until the Slyphs, and now it's just ok. Next abilities through leveling are quite a few sessions away.

I'm reading Sanguinia's newbie diary in the other thread as I progress, and it's good poo poo.

Yeah you're really hitting the story at its nadir in the 30s. In my mind there are two very low points in the story: 30-40 MSQ and 2.1 to 2.3 MSQ. The rest varies from good to amazing.

It's also just unfortunate that the story lull also comes at a bit of a lull in terms of leveling too. 30-50 has always struck me as the most boring phase of leveling for any job.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
30-49 owns for levelling cause you just do daily Frontlines for like a week and then forget about it for the rest of your playing time

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

parasyte posted:

If you're on PC/Mac, the non-Steam complete version is on sale for $24 again: https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/564956/final-fantasy-xiv-online-complete-edition-pc-download

I swear I checked last night to see if it was still on sale and it wasn’t.

Even though the trial goes until 60/end of heavensward and I was originally going to wait, I used my code from the last sale not long after starting the expansion for the additional level 50 classes that I could feed with MSQ experience and the retainers. I’m also running on a preferred server so there’s ton of experience to pass around. Though If I was to do it again I’d activate right at the end of 2.0 and buy a story potion skip for $11 to get into 3.0 content.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Here's an infographic about all the different sources of XP bonuses:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I keep forgetting to do the novice stuff for the ring, since it came in after I stopped playing before. Maybe this weekend before I start doing RDM or DRG.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
I spent another hour trying to setup my controller layout for RDM so I can actually play it. I just get sucked into WXHB and double tap silliness watching YouTube videos. I think I'm just tired and need to simplify things. :( I've earnt alot on golden Saucer this week as avoid doing this.

The videos just zoom through the bits I want to know and I'm getting frustrated.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

acumen posted:

30-49 owns for levelling cause you just do daily Frontlines for like a week and then forget about it for the rest of your playing time

Maybe it's different for me because I like to focus on leveling up one job at a time. I'm currently finishing up BLM--my last combat job to get to 80.

From my perspective, 30-49 was by far the worst part of leveling all the jobs. You're just in this weird doldrums where most jobs don't get much more interesting until the 50s, you don't have a ton of options for leveling past leveling and frontlines, and gear is more annoying than it is at later levels.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Rosalind posted:

Maybe it's different for me because I like to focus on leveling up one job at a time. I'm currently finishing up BLM--my last combat job to get to 80.

From my perspective, 30-49 was by far the worst part of leveling all the jobs. You're just in this weird doldrums where most jobs don't get much more interesting until the 50s, you don't have a ton of options for leveling past leveling and frontlines, and gear is more annoying than it is at later levels.

Yeah you're not wrong. I get that. Really, the entire 1-49 stretch is pretty lovely after you've already gone through it.

The major bottlenecks for me seem to have been 1-49 and 71-80. Typically when I hit the latter I'll start on the former, running Bozja/Pixies for the 71+ and Frontline for 30+.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

parasyte posted:

So to clarify on this: Endwalker is 100% separate? This doesn't include it, and if I buy Endwalker, it doesn't include the prior stuff?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Tempest_56 posted:

So to clarify on this: Endwalker is 100% separate? This doesn't include it, and if I buy Endwalker, it doesn't include the prior stuff?

This pack does not include Endwalker.

If you buy Endwalker you'll get all the prior expansions, but you won't be able to access any of it until Endwalker officially releases in November.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Wicked Them Beats posted:

This pack does not include Endwalker.

If you buy Endwalker you'll get all the prior expansions, but you won't be able to access any of it until Endwalker officially releases in November.

Right, I'm just questioning since the Endwalker page includes:

quote:

This product is a FINAL FANTASY® XIV expansion pack that requires FINAL FANTASY® XIV Online Starter Edition (A Realm Reborn) and an active subscription to play.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

parasyte posted:

At that price, it's tempting.

How long is it going to be on sale at that price? I dunno if I want to buy it today (I think servers are down for maintenance today), and I just got my credit card bill. However, I get paid Thursday, so if it's still on sale, maybe I'll pick it up then.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Tempest_56 posted:

support-na.square-enix posted:

Please note, each expansion does not need to be purchased separately. FINAL FANTASY XIV: Endwalker ($39.99 USD) includes all prior expansions with the purchase, including Shadowbringers, Stormblood, and Heavensward. A Realm Reborn or the Starter Edition ($19.99 USD) must be purchased and registered separately before Endwalker can be registered. Alternatively, the Complete Edition of FINAL FANTASY XIV ($59.99 USD) can be purchased, which will include A Realm Reborn and all currently released expansions. Please also note that the Collector's Edition of Endwalker does not include A Realm Reborn.

So you'll need to own at least the starter edition, but you should go ahead and pay the $4 extra to get the other two expansions now.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 28, 2021

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Tempest_56 posted:

Yeah you'll need to buy the starter edition and end your free trial before you can apply the Endwalker code. Starter edition looks to be $20 right now. So buying the Starter Edition + Endwalker is $4 cheaper than buying the Complete + Endwalker, but you'd have to wait until November to access any of the post-Heavensward content.

efb

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Right, thanks folks. That's a pretty good deal, then.

(My confusion stemmed from that the Squeenix store is pretty bad - the Games page for FFXIV shows Endwalker and the Complete Edtion, but not the Starter Edition since that isn't on special. That only shows up it you use the top banner drop-down.)

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Buying and installing the game is considered Savage Tier content, not every player is expected to be able to complete it.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The mogstation/square-enix/lodestone whatever system they have is the absolute worst and it turned me away the first time I tried to play. Even figuring out which version of the download is the trial and which isn't was a pain in the rear end.

I'd love to buy the PS5 version that's currently on sale right now for the same price, but my PlayStation account is tied to different account that I can't find anywhere in any e-mail and I can't rebuy it since I already own the game according to the PlayStation store. I'll have to try contacting support and seeing if I can get the game removed from account so I can buy it again.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 28, 2021

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Buying and installing the game is considered Savage Tier content, not every player is expected to be able to complete it.

I first played in like 2014 or something but only got to level 8, so when I started again last year I wanted a fresh start and the full HW trial.

It was brutal. I ended up having to do something insane like creating a brand new gmail account on the wife's laptop hooked up to a tethered cell phone connection in order to actually get the trial activated. It's all been downhill from there.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

SE blocks VPNs while also blocking traffic from China, I have to do shuffle through several different proxies and VPNs and devices to find the one setting that will let me through each time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man that sale is great timing. If you're at the end or near the end of the free trial this is the absolute best time to just buy that $24 complete edition and Endwalker and be all caught up and set by November.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

SoulChicken posted:

I spent another hour trying to setup my controller layout for RDM so I can actually play it. I just get sucked into WXHB and double tap silliness watching YouTube videos. I think I'm just tired and need to simplify things. :( I've earnt alot on golden Saucer this week as avoid doing this.

The videos just zoom through the bits I want to know and I'm getting frustrated.

RDM should be easy in theory, since it has a pretty low number of required buttons, but they do line up a bit awkwardly. You have 3 buttons for your melee combo and 5 for your single-target spells, when your slots are in groups of 4.

What I did is: R2+X is Jolt, R2+Square is Veraero, R2+O is Verthunder. So most of my time I'm just going back and forth, X-Square, X-O, repeat. I put Verstone on R2+Dpad left and Verfire on right, so mentally it's easy to think of left side buttons for white mana, right side for black. YMMV of course, but it's helpful to have an intuitive layout so you can pick white or black mana without having to think about it.

Melee combo is L2+X, L2+Square, L2+Triangle. That's just how I do all of my combo series, keeps it consistent. I think it's a holdover from playing various action games where that's the sequence for light, medium, heavy attack.

For AoE, I use a separate bar that I toggle by tapping R1, but I think I'm in the minority there. On that bar, I have Scatter-Veraero II-Verthunder II set up to mirror Jolt-Veraero-Verthunder, but of course the order you use them is inverted. So it's Square-X, O-X, repeat. Moulinet fits nicely on Triangle when you get it.

This leaves your oGCDs. I put Corps-a-corps and Displacement on R2+Dpad up/down, easy to visualize the forward/backward movement. I'm still settling on where Fleche and Acceleration go, but you've got L2+O and R2+Triangle available, plus we haven't even started using R2+L2 sets yet. Plenty of room!

You do still have role actions, but honestly you could start playing without them and just work them in once you're more comfortable. Swiftcast is good to have handy (I use R2+L2+X), but RDM is the caster that's least dependent on it. Lucid Dreaming isn't really necessary until you get your rez later. Addle and Surecast are situational and no one will ever notice if you don't use them in regular content.

Hope that helps, I can take some screenshots if that makes it easier to follow. Or ask anything you want to know about the menu settings for hotbars, it took me quite a while to fully understand all my options and what I wanted to use.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

SoulChicken posted:

What exactly is throwing you off? I'm sure we can help.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/auuo/status/1442619946681339905

even sakaguchi cant figure out how to buy the game lol

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

acumen posted:

I first played in like 2014 or something but only got to level 8, so when I started again last year I wanted a fresh start and the full HW trial.

It was brutal. I ended up having to do something insane like creating a brand new gmail account on the wife's laptop hooked up to a tethered cell phone connection in order to actually get the trial activated. It's all been downhill from there.

Ha sounds like my experience. I bought the game in 2014 on PS4 and didn’t get very far, forgot about it. Started up in May but unlike you I used my existing account. Queue SQE basically deciding my credit card was worthless after the 30 day free sub ran out (due to the fact my PS4 account for some reason was set to the US and I’m in Canada and my name was different - think Chris and Christopher). Anyway after a couple weeks loving around I got a SQE dude on the phone and he was like ‘yeah it’s your bank’ and it wasn’t and got him back on the phone and he was like ‘huh that’s weird. Can you buy time cards on the store? Cause honestly that’s gonna be way easier than fixing this’ and so that’s what I do now.

People aren’t kidding when they say buying the game is your first savage content.

e; and the mogstation is 1999 garbage, I’m only surprised it doesn’t require flash.

e2; forgot to clarify I bought the complete edition on PC no problem too! They just wouldn’t let me subscribe lol. Complete garbage system.

e3; and I didn't read the downtime announcement in the launcher earlier and now it's down and I really want to just do a couple things, cmon Yoshi-p, I'm sorry I said the Mogstation was garbage, really, it's awesome, just let me log-in for a few minutes, I swear I won't tell anyone, ok just for 30 seconds, just let me ...

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 28, 2021

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

That reminds me, do they have a typical schedule for long maintenance? I’ve been playing for a few months now, and I’ve only seen the launcher notification twice.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
No. There isn't a regular pattern to it.

Maintenance happens usually when they're releasing patches or updating what's in the cash shop.

The plus side is we usually get notice pretty far ahead of time

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Regalingualius posted:

That reminds me, do they have a typical schedule for long maintenance? I’ve been playing for a few months now, and I’ve only seen the launcher notification twice.

They usually do one every couple months, but the recent shutdowns have been to work on addressing the server congestion caused by the WoW exodus. I hope it works, I've had some weird connectivity issues in dungeons lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

Nibble posted:

RDM should be easy in theory, since it has a pretty low number of required buttons, but they do line up a bit awkwardly. You have 3 buttons for your melee combo and 5 for your single-target spells, when your slots are in groups of 4.

What I did is: R2+X is Jolt, R2+Square is Veraero, R2+O is Verthunder. So most of my time I'm just going back and forth, X-Square, X-O, repeat. I put Verstone on R2+Dpad left and Verfire on right, so mentally it's easy to think of left side buttons for white mana, right side for black. YMMV of course, but it's helpful to have an intuitive layout so you can pick white or black mana without having to think about it.

Melee combo is L2+X, L2+Square, L2+Triangle. That's just how I do all of my combo series, keeps it consistent. I think it's a holdover from playing various action games where that's the sequence for light, medium, heavy attack.

For AoE, I use a separate bar that I toggle by tapping R1, but I think I'm in the minority there. On that bar, I have Scatter-Veraero II-Verthunder II set up to mirror Jolt-Veraero-Verthunder, but of course the order you use them is inverted. So it's Square-X, O-X, repeat. Moulinet fits nicely on Triangle when you get it.

This leaves your oGCDs. I put Corps-a-corps and Displacement on R2+Dpad up/down, easy to visualize the forward/backward movement. I'm still settling on where Fleche and Acceleration go, but you've got L2+O and R2+Triangle available, plus we haven't even started using R2+L2 sets yet. Plenty of room!

You do still have role actions, but honestly you could start playing without them and just work them in once you're more comfortable. Swiftcast is good to have handy (I use R2+L2+X), but RDM is the caster that's least dependent on it. Lucid Dreaming isn't really necessary until you get your rez later. Addle and Surecast are situational and no one will ever notice if you don't use them in regular content.

Hope that helps, I can take some screenshots if that makes it easier to follow. Or ask anything you want to know about the menu settings for hotbars, it took me quite a while to fully understand all my options and what I wanted to use.

That'll get me going once the servers come up. Then I'll be able to nagivate the rest once it's working. I'll have more informed questions later Tortolia, thanks!