Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

FrostyPox posted:

I imagine the brokebrained citizens salivating over the thought of realism are giddy at the idea of their character dying of old age. CIG should also require player characters to get yearly physicals to screen for hypertension and make in-game lifestyle changes to reduce the risk of in-game heart attacks or strokes.

~I M M E R S I O N ~

They'll finally get to use some of the Pyro wormhole footage they made a while back, for the player character colonoscopies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
speaking of respawn systems... in city of heroes, there's 'mediporters' which conveniently teleport you to hospital just before you die. there's a quest where a 'terrorist group' is trying to give mediporters to everyone but you stop them and give them only to the sick and elderly lmao

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/RespectfulInferiorGnat-mobile.mp4

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

JugbandDude posted:

Maybe you should stop messing with the .cfg files :colbert:

Sounds more like a copper pipe problem

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dementropy posted:

Big Barry's?

Noticed that, has Lesnick been written out of the lore? :ohdear:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lmao at the respawn lore dump. Bioshock handled it with one radio conversation where you walk in to a room witha respawn-o-matic or w/ever and a guy says 'yeah these will bring you back to life crazy huh'. Nobody cares about the minute details of imaginary space game technology.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Cosplay submissions lookin good this year

Silmerias
Aug 19, 2020

Space overlord of an awful French community. You can have my couch in Deklein everyday.

Since the community management is disconnected from the development (like all games, the devs don't talk with the CMs) I highly doubt that Tyler is really aware of what CIG has decided about ToW. Probably damage control, we're getting used to them.

Edit: Like seriously how to contradict yourself in 2 tweets... Who after that can still believe what their CMs say.

Silmerias fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 26, 2021

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

Dementropy posted:

Big Barry's?

"jokes"

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Silmerias posted:

Since the community management is disconnected from the development (like all games, the devs don't talk with the CMs) I highly doubt that Tyler is really aware of what CIG has decided about ToW. Probably damage control, we're getting used to them.

Edit: Like seriously how to contradict yourself in 2 tweets... Who after that can still believe what their CMs say.

is it really called the ARGO Cargo?

gently caress me

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Foundation tv series is good. I hope Crobbers is watching it :allears:

MostlyRandom
Nov 1, 2019

store Citizen: Dream are wat wishes believe in

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

I just don't get why they can't do the Eve Online cloning explanation, it's simple and easily understood. But Star Citizen promised that death will have "consequences" which lol yeah like making you wait 30 minutes to respawn your ship but it still doesn't actually matter.

In a game with terrible nonsensical lore full of every cliche imaginable just go with the obvious cloning solution, who cares this poo poo is never gonna work the way CIG is suggesting it will.

I think a lot of the heavy death punishment was from back in the day people were still frothing at the mouth with how great Dark Souls deaths were, along with this weird competition with killing being faster than CoD for some reason, and things like Enders Game was released with their zero gravity segments.

So death of a spaceman came around, along with SantaBall because naturally Chris Roberts is a visionary and not a copycat.

Logically however, which nobody at CIG can think of, death being fast in a game where it takes literally months to make something, and even when killed it takes hours just to maybe even get your ship back much less get back to where you were... is the epitome of illogical game mechanics and just proves that you have no idea what kind of game you're making.

Fast deaths work well when there is low penalty and you can get back into the action fast.

Being killed fast in some weird survival rpg where it could take hours/days to get back to where you were, depending on how bad you want to make the punishment, makes no sense.

This all circles back to how CR doesn't know how to make a fun game, and expects fun just to magically spring up from systems he builds... systems which will program themselves because he has ideas and art for it and it elves will just layer on the code over his tremendous ideas.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheDarkFlame posted:

Obviously he never actually turns them off, I don't know if there's some in-game reason that they don't work on people who die for plot reasons.

One of the writers confirmed the New-U stations aren't actually canon and are just there for gameplay purposes. So as far as the plot is concerned, aside from that quest and the jokes that reference them as the absurdity they are, they don't exist.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

DaysBefore posted:

Nobody cares about the minute details of imaginary space game technology.

This is game and fandom all about the pointless minute details, because it helps divert the attention away from huge gaping holes when it comes to gameplay and content.

Backers marvel at 4k tin can textures in a barren and bland mall while they fall through the surface of a 1/10 downscaled planet in a single star system.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 26, 2021

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Blue On Blue posted:

is it really called the ARGO Cargo?

gently caress me

If they had stopped the vote would it have been the ARGO Cargo embargo?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Quavers posted:

Foundation tv series is good. I hope Crobbers is watching it :allears:

Maybe Star Citizen will be finished after the 30,000 years of barbarism has come and gone. If Hari Seldon gets his way, he'll only have 1000 years to finish the game

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

If they had stopped the vote would it have been the ARGO Cargo embargo?

LOL if they combined its role with the data runner/news van ship it could have been the Wells Fargo ARGO Cargo. Slow it down a bit and it might have been the Largo Wells Fargo ARGO Cargo. Throw in a tragic, sprawling tale set in pre- and post-Revolutionary Russia and it should really have been the Doctor Zhivago Largo Wells Fargo ARGO Cargo.

CIG really are the worst when it comes to ship names.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

For [reasons] I had to find this old gem, and oh man, it's so good to see these old SC-related silly things:

https://rhinteriors.rh.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod280189&sale=false

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Honked posted:

Maybe Star Citizen will be finished after the 30,000 years of barbarism has come and gone. If Hari Seldon gets his way, he'll only have 1000 years to finish the game

Now I'm imagining R. Daneel Olivaw waving his hands around while mumbling some nonsensical attempt at a design document.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
there is a foundation tv series??
why was i not informed about this

*unintelligible mumbling*

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Tippis posted:

For [reasons] I had to find this old gem, and oh man, it's so good to see these old SC-related silly things:

https://rhinteriors.rh.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod280189&sale=false

those were the good old days

looking at videos and screenshots trying to determine how much useless and wasteful spending was in 1 room

what about those absurd looking white couches and pill shaped tables they had ?

just awful, clearly money doesn't buy taste

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Bumble He posted:

there is a foundation tv series??
why was i not informed about this

*unintelligible mumbling*

I watched the first episode.

I kinda wish they would have just adapted the books instead of inventing a bunch of new stuff.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

.random posted:

If you sell items, it has to move it from the player database to the universe database for persistence. It’s very complicated.

I know you’re making fun but

Dear God it’s a data structure, you make it into a string and copy it from one register to another and delete the original! Then you write a script to decode the string! I can do that in Gamemaker! And I only know what I’ve seen in tutorials!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I watched the first episode.

I kinda wish they would have just adapted the books instead of inventing a bunch of new stuff.

A straight adaptation of pretty much anything Asimov would be a guaranteed failure. (most) People watch tv shows for their characters and their interactions and that's exactly what Asimov is worst at, what with him being a positronic robot.

So instead of "beep-boop I'm Hari Seldon" (first time I write his name and my autocomplete already knew... Neeeeerrrrrrdddddsssss! :argh:) we get some drama and poo poo with the foundation background. Maybe it'll be good, maybe it'll be bad but it won't be guaranteed to bomb.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Tippis posted:

God, I always forget how poo poo those look. It's like... some highschoolers wood/metal shop project.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Tippis posted:

"We’ve grown comfortable making ourselves and others uncomfortable for nearly two decades"

From the website of a company that makes overpriced chairs and desks. Really inspires confidence.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Over 2500 dollars

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
The Waviator

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Between Dune, The Foundation and Crobbler relocating to UK to oversee SQ56's development more closely, it's going to be a fun time being a developer for this.

Fun as in a daily hell.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
Ok so what is star citizen going to include from the foundation series, I've never read it. Are there lots of mess halls?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

ten thousand agricultural worlds were the breadbasket of Trantor's mess halls

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

L. Ron Hoover posted:

Ok so what is star citizen going to include from the foundation series, I've never read it. Are there lots of mess halls?

Specifically, I think it's the millennia-long period of chaos and longing for an era long gone, and (ultimately) the failure of The Prophecy of The Messiah-figure to actually come to fruition because it was a pretty darn silly idea to begin with when you think about it. Also, someone else already did it better in a shorter period of time.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

L. Ron Hoover posted:

<insert SC Company> Deluxe <Roman Title> Personal Shield 'pledge' $999 to get free 'gold plated' skin.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Bold Words

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Joe!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

L. Ron Hoover posted:

:crobear:: "Uh... have you seen that new series... uh... Foundation?"

Cold sweat appears on foreheads of other people present on the meeting.

:crobear:: "Uhm... so it had these... *waves hands wildly* jump ships, make spaceship like that and sell it... and... uh... that *more hand waving* tower to space."

Someone: "Space elevator?"

:crobear:: "Whatever, I want it in the game, with elevator panels everywhere and...uh... physicalized elevators... and also... uh... rework ArcCorp so it looks like that... uh" *hands waving*

Someone: "Trantor?"

:crobear:: "Sure, whatever... so, uh, make ArcCorp look more like it."

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

L. Ron Hoover posted:

Easy: the bondage restraining masks from the show.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

trucutru posted:

Easy: the bondage restraining masks from the show.

Suffocating dude with-his-head-in-a-plastic-bag should now have better options for a future CitCan cosplay contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

AbstractNapper posted:

Suffocating dude with-his-head-in-a-plastic-bag should now have better options for a future CitCan cosplay contest.

From this year's cosplay contest submissions