Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The perfect week episode of how I met your mother was on a few days ago at a friend's place and yeah it's a weirdly gross show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

ilmucche posted:

The perfect week episode of how I met your mother was on a few days ago at a friend's place and yeah it's a weirdly gross show

Just read the synopsis of that episode: https://how-i-met-your-mother.fandom.com/wiki/Perfect_Week

that site posted:

The rest of the gang is having a less-than-stellar week. Robin went out on bad date, but becomes insecure when he won't call her back. Ted laughed at a student's name ("Cook Pu") after assuming it was a fake name added to the roster as a prank, leading her to drop the class

jesus

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

MNIMWA posted:

Just read the synopsis of that episode: https://how-i-met-your-mother.fandom.com/wiki/Perfect_Week

jesus

You seriously buried the lede here :lol: I am just going to quote the entire thing because I am floored by how many disgusting misogynistic details there are in here. Seriously just stunned.

quote:

Future Ted starts off by explaining that Barney's way of dealing with stress was imagining he was being interviewed by sportscaster Jim Nantz, who listed Barney's many accomplishments with women. Barney explains that it all started a week ago, when he issued himself a challenge. At MacLaren's, he "called his shot," pointing out a woman at the bar and saying she'd be the one he'd go home with that night. Thus began his attempt at a "perfect week," defined as having sex with seven women in seven days without a single rejection.

The rest of the gang is having a less-than-stellar week. Robin went out on bad date, but becomes insecure when he won't call her back. Ted laughed at a student's name ("Cook Pu") after assuming it was a fake name added to the roster as a prank, leading her to drop the class. Marshall and Lily drive away another couple on a double date when they let slip that they use the same toothbrush. Ted and Robin soon realize they also, at one point, used that same brush.

After four days, Barney's streak is unbroken, but on the fifth night, Marshall is worried because a big merger at work fell through and Barney was getting blamed for it. He said he thought Barney might get fired. Still, Barney stands at the bar, trying to look confident. Marshall says that management were going to have a meeting on Friday to see if Barney would keep his job. Lily wants to talk to Barney, but Ted intervenes, and Barney asks him for help finding the dumbest girl in the bar, who Barney promptly takes home.

Nantz asks Barney if he'd ever used performance-enhancing drugs, but Barney said he respects "the game" too much. He said he'd been offered them before, and flashed back to a time when Marshall was grinning, but holding a pillow on his lap. He asked what time it was, then counted out four hours and realized he had to go to the hospital. Barney has a quickie on Staten Island to get through number six.

The gang continues to mock each other for their mistakes, making "poo jokes" at Ted's expense, mocking Robin's desperation for a man she doesn't even like, and sitting in judgement of Lily and Marshall's dental habits. When Barney stops by the apartment, Lily confronts him about losing his job, and utters the phrase "perfect week", jinxing Barney. Even Jim Nantz was stunned, saying, "There are two things you don't do: One, you don't open an e-mail from Phil Simms in front of your kids, and, two, you don't jinx a man going for a perfect week."

The next night, Lily is so confident that Barney was going to score with "third-martini girl" (Christy) at the bar, she says "there's no such thing as a jinx." The subsequent jinx leads to a member of the 2009 World Champion New York Yankees walking through the door: (Nick Swisher). The gang is convinced Barney's streak was over. Robin doesn't get the appeal of a Yankee, so Lily compares it to the appeal to her of a Vancouver Canucks' player.

Christy starts to walk over to Nick Swisher and a dejected Barney comes over to the table figuring his week was a waste and he was going to get fired the next day. In the awkward silence, Lily realizes they all needed Barney's perfect week to make them feel better. She gets up and trips in front of Christy. She asks Christy to get her some ice, and Marshall and Ted run to sit by Swisher, starting a conversation about sharing toothbrushes. Nick comments that he loves hockey, making Robin hot and bothered.

Meanwhile, Christy, who receives a fourth martini from Barney, says they should go back to his place. As she heads outside, Barney stops for high fives and a hoisting onto shoulders in triumph. His conversation with Jim Nantz over, Barney goes in to talk with the boss. Barney keeps his job, and his boss says it must have been a stressful time for him. "I barely slept," Barney says.

Back at the bar, the gang commemorates Barney's week by retiring the tie he wore on the seventh day and Ted claims he'll never tell his kids about this story, which makes Future Ted doubt his qualifications to be a parent. Later, we see Ted accidentally embarrass Cook Pu once again when she picks up take-out at MacLaren's.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
:stare:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
HIMYM: A serial rapist and his accomplises find new ways to be horrible every week

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

the toothbrush bit did make me laugh though

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
That sounds like "Always Sunny" but we are supposed to root for the characters?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW_30vAJ_q8

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Jim Nantz making sexual innuendos sounds like a nightmare. And Curb did "Viagara as PEDs" better.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

That is...even worse than I assumed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's hard to tell at times if Always Sunny is consciously parodying sitcoms.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's hard to tell at times if Always Sunny is consciously parodying sitcoms.

Watching Community and realizing the lead was basically just Dennis played straight was a trip.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Bee posted:

Watching Community and realizing the lead was basically just Dennis played straight was a trip.

Pairing up the sleazy lawyer character with the barely-out-of-high-school young woman recovering from a mental breakdown will definitely age well.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
It’s been a while since I watch Community, but wasn’t the show openly making the point that Jeff and Annie was creepy and inappropriate, at least in the first couple of years.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

It’s been a while since I watch Community, but wasn’t the show openly making the point that Jeff and Annie was creepy and inappropriate, at least in the first couple of years.

pretty sure both jeff and annie felt super awkward about it and tried to deny they were interested in each other

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ilmucche posted:

pretty sure both jeff and annie felt super awkward about it and tried to deny they were interested in each other

That's why the Darkest Timeline versions went at it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I’ve been rewatching community with my partner who never saw it and while a lot of it holds up, there are bits that have aged poorly. Season one had the transfer student dance being nicknamed the “tranny dance.”

And seeing some of the “Jeff being a womanizer and sort of Dan Harmon’s self insert” stuff after it came out that Harmon was a creep to one of the writers feels a bit icky.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
A small joke I really like in Community is in the first season, when Pierce hires a writers room to come up with roasts for a lovely film. It turns out he loves homophobic jokes, but the show makes a running gag out of every other character (including the writers room) reacting very badly when he just starts calling things gay. In a time where other comedies still had no problem making these kinda jokes, that stood out to me.

That, and Abed being a way better representation of someone with autism than Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory ever was.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Last Chance posted:

And seeing some of the “Jeff being a womanizer and sort of Dan Harmon’s self insert” stuff after it came out that Harmon was a creep to one of the writers feels a bit icky.
At least Jeff isn't Joey or Barney.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Last Chance posted:

Season one had the transfer student dance being nicknamed the “tranny dance.”

I feel like that’s the joke. Greendale is a place that is so far away from reality that it has a dance named after a slur and doesn’t realize it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

St_Ides posted:

I feel like that’s the joke. Greendale is a place that is so far away from reality that it has a dance named after a slur and doesn’t realize it.

Oh that definitely is the joke, but it’s clear that that it was written in a different time. I’m not sure you’d have a joke where a character giddily says “tranny dance” and “tranny queen” in something modern.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you would but they'd be saying it in a british accent

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

My wife and I have been watching through the original Twilight Zone series, and while for the most part it has aged remarkably well for a series made in the late 50's/early 60's, there are a few times where the series shows its age.

Last night we watched "Nightmare as a Child" and at one point, a family friend of the main character (who is in her early 30's) who was easily in his 50's comments that he had a crush on her since she was 11. I... uh... I dunno what the standards were when the show was made, but that definitely elected a hearty "WHAT THE gently caress" from both of us.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Randalor posted:

My wife and I have been watching through the original Twilight Zone series, and while for the most part it has aged remarkably well for a series made in the late 50's/early 60's, there are a few times where the series shows its age.

Last night we watched "Nightmare as a Child" and at one point, a family friend of the main character (who is in her early 30's) who was easily in his 50's comments that he had a crush on her since she was 11. I... uh... I dunno what the standards were when the show was made, but that definitely elected a hearty "WHAT THE gently caress" from both of us.

That was a special episode produced in France

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
There's also the one episode where a Sherman tank crew gets sent back in time and heroically join in the battle of little bighorn, aka custer's last stand.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

MariusLecter posted:

There's also the one episode where a Sherman tank crew gets sent back in time and heroically join in the battle of little bighorn, aka custer's last stand.

:goonsay: It was an M3 Stuart crew which I think had already been retired for like 15 years at that point, and it was the anniversary of the battle as well. The part of that episode that also stuck with me was the camp they find was like three or four hilariously small teepees.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

fartknocker posted:

:goonsay: It was an M3 Stuart crew which I think had already been retired for like 15 years at that point, and it was the anniversary of the battle as well. The part of that episode that also stuck with me was the camp they find was like three or four hilariously small teepees.

Either way, glad theyre dead and not a trace of them remained.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Randalor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO6JcXXAqec&hd=1

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

I laugh at "not unless I come from the mountains" every time.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I thought that there might be some sort of clever twist on the whole thing as part of the film. Instead it's worse. Because, apparently, it's "semi-autobiographical".

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Humbert Humbert is not a loving role model!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

packetmantis posted:

Humbert Humbert is not a loving role model!

Apparently this needs repeating to everyone in the 60's and 70's.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
For one thing his name is Humbert Humbert

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Josef bugman posted:

Apparently this needs repeating to everyone in the 60's and 70's.
Bad news for you

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Bad news for you

Hey at least people nowadays are pretending to understand you shouldn't rape teens.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

Hey at least people nowadays are pretending to understand you shouldn't rape teens.

I guess you haven't seen anyone commenting on R. Kelly's conviction.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

rodbeard posted:

I guess you haven't seen anyone commenting on R. Kelly's conviction.

Ugh thanks for reminding me

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I mean also Lana del Rey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So what was the problem with Gossip Girl again?