Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favourite number
This poll is closed.
835 3 2.29%
2 14 10.69%
3,400,981 17 12.98%
11 19 14.50%
21 13 9.92%
7070 12 9.16%
58008 53 40.46%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Is fire emblem permadeath like red cards in football where as soon as you have more than 3 the whole game gets cancelled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Playing Moon has been a really cool experience. I also feel vindicated realizing a bunch of the staff attached to this game also worked on Flower, Sun and Rain which is the one tedious game I'll die on a hill defending.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Is fire emblem permadeath like red cards in football where as soon as you have more than 3 the whole game gets cancelled

real fire emblem heads play on classic but then always restart when someone dies, anyways

because the point isn't to continue through the losses, it's to add a more stringent failure condition

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Playing without permadeath changes the calculus of battle because suicide tactics become very viable, without other consideration. Anyone ignoring this fact has either but thought enough about the gameplay systems or wilfully ignores it.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

real fire emblem heads play on classic but then always restart when someone dies, anyways

because the point isn't to continue through the losses, it's to add a more stringent failure condition

I never brought back Felix or Dedue in Blue Lions

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Wow this is so much better than the dumb meme with the "I'm a gamer so I choose to have many lives instead of no life" text, that has like 8 gun toting characters depicting the exact same juvenile power fantasy.

Let me actually look it up, oh here it is:

Did anyone ever figure out if this was actually sincere, or some kind of a subtle ironic joke?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I am the very long legged kirby.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would like a game that captures the energy of The Genius.

Specifically in the "Extreme Ways" moments

Kind of like the Witness or Outer Wilds but with other people (NPCs are fine) involved

Edit: Same energy, when Yugi reveals his secret Dark Magician Girl stratagem

Have you ever played the Zero Escape games

Gnosia is pretty good too I wish more people played it

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I'm the extremely complicated Konami code engraved into the blade of an assault rifle katana.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah, in the older games you could easily ironman and really it’s entirely possible to do in every game but even the Fire Emblem devs started making the games around the assumption that you’d savescum deaths with the kids/moms in awakening.

Not that ironmanning isn’t viable but it’s for better or worse (worse imho, just cut out the middleman and make house deaths a fail state if you’re gonna have school customization stuff) not how the 3H devs assume you’ll play.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

StoryTime posted:

Wow this is so much better than the dumb meme with the "I'm a gamer so I choose to have many lives instead of no life" text, that has like 8 gun toting characters depicting the exact same juvenile power fantasy.

Did anyone ever figure out if this was actually sincere, or some kind of a subtle ironic joke?

Reminds me of that cool "and conquered worlds" PlayStation advert

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cancel the Mario movie.

I only need Luigi movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDiF38qr-Ek

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

StoryTime posted:

You know the answer

Even if it was made ironically, there's no way people didn't use it sincerely

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Who's going to play Wario in the post-credit scene?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Another all-timer in this genre

https://youtu.be/peOOTd22mi0

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A real gamer is ashamed to be called a gamer.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rarity posted:

Who's going to play Wario in the post-credit scene?

Keanu

WHOAio

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Anyone seen Alice in Borderland? How’s Squid Game compared to that?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

powwrful. chills every time

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

StoryTime posted:

They should do the same poster but with every re-release of Skyrim.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm enjoying squid game. Watched the first four episodes now. I can definitely feel each episode just being a bit too long, but that mostly keeps me.from binging it all at once which makes the pace feel better.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

A real gamer is ashamed to be called a gamer.

How can you insult Rarity like that

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

"On my business card, I am a gamer. In my mind, I am a gamer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - John Nintendo, CEO of Nintendo

I miss Iwata. :smith:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
lets go for the classics

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Regy Rusty posted:

How can you insult Rarity like that

It's not true, tell me it's not true :cry:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, in the older games you could easily ironman and really it’s entirely possible to do in every game but even the Fire Emblem devs started making the games around the assumption that you’d savescum deaths with the kids/moms in awakening.

Not that ironmanning isn’t viable but it’s for better or worse (worse imho, just cut out the middleman and make house deaths a fail state if you’re gonna have school customization stuff) not how the 3H devs assume you’ll play.

Awakening Hard Mode broke me from even attempting the harder difficulties. I just don't find same turn reinforcements fun at all, even if I do prefer to iron man the games.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Walla posted:

Awakening Hard Mode broke me from even attempting the harder difficulties. I just don't find same turn reinforcements fun at all, even if I do prefer to iron man the games.

I don’t mind them in some of the older games, like in Binding Blade it feels like they tried to avoid the most unfun parts that cause resets but Awakening’s are a special kind of bad.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

This is a huge problem with Movies nowadays, I watch a lot of "Classic" movies and I'm always impressed at how effectively they manage their time, especially given the contraints of the Studio system of the tiem. The new Bond movie is almost 3 hours long, does it need all that time? Certainly not, but people have accepted this overly long, nonsense so it's become acceptable.

yup this. also applies to people making videos on youtube about stuff lol

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Stux posted:

and ur posts

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

"No Time to Die" huh...sounds to me like there's plenty because runtime the length 163 minutes its the it long iaa long movie right

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm not a fan of overindulgence in any form of media. If you've got a statement to make then you should come out and say it without condescending to me or wasting my not-so valuable time. Anybody who thinks 3 hour comic book movies are good should spend five years grading undergraduate writing, you'll be absolved from your love of ponderous storytelling real quick.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

exquisite tea posted:

I'm not a fan of overindulgence in any form of media. If you've got a statement to make then you should come out and say it without condescending to me or wasting my not-so valuable time. Anybody who thinks 3 hour comic book movies are good should spend five years grading undergraduate writing, you'll be absolved from your love of ponderous storytelling real quick.

tl;dr

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

StoryTime posted:

I'm the extremely complicated Konami code engraved into the blade of an assault rifle katana.

I'm the holding said katana by the blade

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm Bowsette

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Stux posted:

Yeah if anyone ever links me some 9 hour analysis I'm telling them to gently caress off, write a drat book at that point.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Yet another reason the Charles Lyle LaRue scene from Mouse Hunt is the only good scene in all of cinema.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the only 9 hour long youtube video s i want to see are jerma vods

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I will watch Tim Rodgers talk for six hours about tokimeki memorial and I will enjoy it.

Games have come a long way since Tim Rodgers video about Pac-Man.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Yeah if anyone ever links me some 9 hour analysis I'm telling them to gently caress off, write a drat book at that point.

Look I can't properly express my feelings on the Wii U without the 3 hour tangent on this girl who rejected me in high school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Ichika Nito is the best youtuber because he never makes a video longer than 2 minutes