Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Metrodextrous posted:

first real look at the real life characters in motion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq2N-9EmedA

Can't say I'm picking up the same vibe as the anime intro. Also a lot of the design looks.....Cost Efficient

Whole thing has a real "eh, good enough" energy to it because there's no way they top the original and while I love John Cho he should've passed on this so some newcomer could have a shot.

Everyone seems pretty badly cast, the stills Netflix released of Vicious were so bad I thought they were fake at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

happyhippy posted:

Dream should have just pure black eyes.
And yeah you have to explain the start, the reason why there is 100 years of no Dream.

I'm very curious about Sandman, but having never read the comic, every time I hear people talk about it, I just don't understand what they're saying. They're using words I know, but not in a way that makes sense to me. "100 years of no Dream." Um, okay?

The trailer backs this up. Still though, very curious.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Paul Thomas Anderson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofnXPwUPENo

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Absolutely incredible trailer. I'm in.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mat Cauthon posted:

Whole thing has a real "eh, good enough" energy to it because there's no way they top the original and while I love John Cho he should've passed on this so some newcomer could have a shot.

Everyone seems pretty badly cast, the stills Netflix released of Vicious were so bad I thought they were fake at first.

Cho looks like 20 years too old for this role lol

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I'm really excited to see PTA return to a sort of Boogie Nights / Magnolia vibe, but with the added restraint that age has given him. I mean, I love all of his movies, but he's getting better with age.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It kinda reminds me of Ayoade's Submarine, which is a very good thing because that is also a very good film.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just based on the trailer, this kinda has Inherent Vice's chaos and inscrutability going on. I'm so sure this is gonna bomb.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I was wondering if Philip Seymour Hoffman’s kid could actually act, but he looks good based on the trailer.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Just based on the trailer, this kinda has Inherent Vice's chaos and inscrutability going on. I'm so sure this is gonna bomb.

Huh, I didn’t get that vibe at all. Felt much more like Boogie Nights to me (young entertainer in the valley gets out over his skis and has a fall from grace)

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

That's a change I'm not only accepting of, but approving of. It's fine for a comic book, great as a concept, but it's just going to be extremely offputting in live action. Dream is a sympathetic character the audience connects to, and creepy eyes won't do that. That dude's face is ethereal enough to sell the otherworldly nature all by itself.

It's been years since I last read Sandman, so I might be misremembering, but Dream isn't sympathetic in the beggining. He's almost alien in his unfeelingness towards humans. It's not until he has his walk through hell (where we see that he condemmend a woman to hell for eternity because she didn't fancy him as much) and his talk with Death that he mellows out a little, but Dream is no the character we are supposed to connect to: It's the human characters (Foxglove and Hazel, Hob, Rose, Lyta, etc) of the stories in Dream's world.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The trailer didnt super affect or impress me (it looks...fine. I'm sure it'll be good) as much as just the principle of FINALLY A NEW PTA MOVIE IS COMING OUT and OH MAN IT'S PSH'S SON!! 😢

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

wizardofloneliness posted:

I was wondering if Philip Seymour Hoffman’s kid could actually act, but he looks good based on the trailer.

Christ that is PSH's son? Plus one of the girls from Hiam lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Vincent posted:

It's been years since I last read Sandman, so I might be misremembering, but Dream isn't sympathetic in the beggining. He's almost alien in his unfeelingness towards humans. It's not until he has his walk through hell (where we see that he condemmend a woman to hell for eternity because she didn't fancy him as much) and his talk with Death that he mellows out a little, but Dream is no the character we are supposed to connect to: It's the human characters (Foxglove and Hazel, Hob, Rose, Lyta, etc) of the stories in Dream's world.

Yeah, and even when Dream mellows out he is still basically an edgy whiny dork, and others treat him as such in universe lol.
A lot of the other Endless are easier to connect to, like Delirum is not treating mental illness the best way but all her emotional beats work and the road trip arc is the highlight of the series. Desire and Death as well.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 27, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The trailer didnt super affect or impress me (it looks...fine. I'm sure it'll be good) as much as just the principle of FINALLY A NEW PTA MOVIE IS COMING OUT and OH MAN IT'S PSH'S SON!! 😢

This.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The movie looks well-made, but honestly I could go without seeing another coming of age film where an adult woman falls in love with a teen.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I definitely got some Almost Famous vibes there but I aint' gonna complain.

edit: Also crazy to see Gandolfini's son acting and now PSH's kid. They both look like they got chops.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

The movie looks well-made, but honestly I could go without seeing another coming of age film where an adult woman falls in love with a teen.
Wait is that what's happening? I guess i assumed they were around the same age but she was hanging with sean penn 🤔

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Wait is that what's happening? I guess i assumed they were around the same age but she was hanging with sean penn 🤔

Alana Haim is 12 years older than Cooper Hoffman.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The actress is 30 but it's not really clear how old the characters are. According to the wikipedia article for this, the title used to be Soggy Bottom which I like a lot better than the current one.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I guess I assumed she was quite a bit older considering the line where she talks about hanging out around 15 year olds. Also she just looks a lot older.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

…so pedophilia is okay and good if the minor is male? Is that what’s happening here?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Maybe let’s wait and see the movie before we accuse it of being sympathetic to pedophiles lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
is she not walking through a high school in the beginning? like i just took it as she is a senior or something in which case yeah a senior would probably think its weird to hang out with a bunch of 15 year olds instead of other seniors... like i don't think you need her to be like in her 20s for that line to work?

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 28, 2021

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55M5ZgAqbWo

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Snooze Cruise posted:

is she not walking through a high school in the beginning? like i just took it as she is a senior or something in which case yeah a senior would probably think its weird to hang out with a bunch of 15 year olds instead of other seniors... like i don't think you need her to be like in her 20s for that line to work?

I saw this conversation before I watched the trailer and I thought they were both supposed to be in HS until that line and now I’m not sure? Maybe she’s like, just out of high school or something?

You know a wise man in a movie once made a statement about high school girls that I think applies here, something about how they get older and you stay the same age, which is fifteen? Something like that I dunno that movie is old and was probably made by some weirdo

Edit: also someone help me out are there any other trailers that use Life on Mars? I know the Watchmen show did but when I search “Life on Mars” trailer song all I get is trailers for the show Life on Mars in its many variations across the world

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 28, 2021

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

the synopsis is

quote:

"Licorice Pizza" is described by its distributor, United Artists Releasing, as "the story of Alana Kane and Gary Valentine growing up, running around and falling in love in the San Fernando Valley, 1973. Written and Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, the film tracks the treacherous navigation of first love." Alana and Gary are portrayed by Alana Haim and Cooper Hoffman, respectively. While details about Alana's life in the film are currently unknown as well, we do know that Hoffman's Gary is a child actor, as is alluded to by several scenes in the film's trailer.

so not sure whether "growing up" means they are both high school age, I thought of checking how old the actress (Alana Haim) is but she's 30 which lol

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

thrawn527 posted:

I'm very curious about Sandman, but having never read the comic, every time I hear people talk about it, I just don't understand what they're saying. They're using words I know, but not in a way that makes sense to me. "100 years of no Dream." Um, okay?

The trailer backs this up. Still though, very curious.

I'll spoiler this but if you really want to know.
This is the start of the Sandman story, the set up, so its not story wrecking spoiler.

Basically the ritual you see was to trap one of the Five, those who run the universe, and it got Dream. But he doesn't help those how trapped them, he just sits there waiting, not saying anything. They keep him for nearly 100 years, until he gets free, won't spoil that. But since he was gone from the Dreaming, mankind was not getting the dreams for all that time that they should have.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 28, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

blast0rama posted:

Absolutely incredible trailer. I'm in.

I was just gonna post that I wasn't. I mean its PT Anderson so I'm def gonna see it, but 60s era nostalgia and centering around some directing kid and his crush, I dunno, there's not much there for me.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Alana Haim is from the band Haim with her sisters also the last name of Haim.

Now you know, thank you.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gatts posted:

Now you know, thank you.

i habe trouble haim understanding haim why the world wants me to care about this band haim. maybe if i keep saying haim it'll come to me

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I keep hearing it in my head like that Ham! catchphrase from 30 Rock

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gatts posted:

Now you know, thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7jGXf2NeO8

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i love PTA but this looks corny as hell. not feeling it. haim are cool though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i love PTA but might have a little trouble looking at haim for 2 hours

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I spent a minute or two adjusting volume wondering why I didn't hear it.

I wanna hi five her, a good rock face is a good thing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't remember my dreams anyway

This Dream guy sucks

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdxFwUqKc-A

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i love PTA but this looks corny as hell. not feeling it. haim are cool though.

same, the trailer is the most "movie trailer" thing ever in a way I cannot explain but it gives a lot of indulgent Cameron Crowe vibes off it and I'm not feeling it at all

this "70's movie with modern tech" vibe though, is my poo poo and I'm hoping the Drafthouse shows this next year for a limited time much like they did with Shin Godzilla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qjV0bB2V0Q