Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The first time I built a Seamoth I tested it by going too close to the Aurora and then a monster I can only describe as a Hydralisk-oarfish hybrid politely asked to see it, with its teeth.
I had to swim home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

D’awwww :kimchi:, I love hearing about people’s first reaper encounter and their descriptions.

I had one steal my seamoth from the same area, right as I was coming back out. The beacon was moving away, then suddenly it disappeared and I saw the tail in the distance when I jumped in to investigate :gonk:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 27, 2021

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I lost two seamoths and a prawn before realizing the repair tool worked on damaged vehicles. I had even built a moonpool specifically for repairing them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I built a base that was on the ridge sort of overhanging the jelly caves entrance, and as we all know, that's sort of near the rear end end of the Aurora, otherwise known as Reaper playground.

I had one hang out for WAY too long outside of my base. I had an observation deck, so it was neat to see, but goddamn, it just kept trying to get at me.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
In one of my very early games I had one follow me back into the "safe" shallows. Turns out that with the sea moth defense system and the solar charger, you can kill them... eventually.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Finding out that the aft crash zone reaper can follow you into the safe shallows is a terrifying rite of passage.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Oh yeah that's the one I shot with the grappling hook and drilled until it was laid to rest on some rocks shallow enough to have most of it's corpse above ground. Don't come at me like that fool.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

gently caress I wish this game was officially 1-4 player.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
This freaking game is driving me batshit crazy. You know that bug where you load a save and it starts you swimming in your base? It's like it logs you in first, then builds the base around you. The only way to fix it is to exit the base. Well, I logged off last session in my cyclops, which was parked in the lava zone. I had very little life left at the end of my session and when I logged in again it did that same swimming bug, except this time I was swimming in hot water and it immediately killed me.

Thank gently caress I found out about the dev console. Use the code 'nocost' and everything is free, and I made a new prawn with attachments/modules so I could go reclaim my Cyclops.

So, now I'm at end-game except somehow I've gotten here without finding blue and yellow tablets. I thought I found all the enemy bases but I guess not.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Canuckistan posted:

So, now I'm at end-game except somehow I've gotten here without finding blue and yellow tablets. I thought I found all the enemy bases but I guess not.

The curse of "As someone who has the game memorized, I feel it was perfectly justified they removed the navpoint indicator to the place with the blue tablet." strikes again. You very literally ended up drive/walked right past it because There are doors built up into the walls of the rocky cliffside you drive past in the lava zone on your way to the final alien base demanding blue keys. You were probably preoccupied with the zone fog, draw distances, and watching for huge sea monsters that love to loiter near the entrances.

Don't forget you need to craft a second one, that is a common snag for people backpacking the whole way in a prawn needing to U turn to the nearest place they can craft one :v: and one of the reasons I just say gently caress it and drag the cyclops down there on replays. Cyclops is faster than tromping to the nearest portal, a crafting outpost, and back again.

As for the yellow/orange one? Entirely optional. It just opens up a loredump room placed to give it the appearance it would be of major gameplay importance. But you can beat the game skipping that entirely, unlike the blue tablet.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 27, 2021

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Section Z posted:

Cyclops is faster than tromping to the nearest portal, a crafting outpost, and back again.

The first time I went down I was sweating bullets with my yolo attempt to remove the depth mod long enough to upgrade it and slap it back in, half expecting the hull to immediately crush. Then I found out that it was just a bit of damage per second and the mod was upgraded and replaced before it had even touched the hull through the shield regen

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The first time I went down I was sweating bullets with my yolo attempt to remove the depth mod long enough to upgrade it and slap it back in, half expecting the hull to immediately crush. Then I found out that it was just a bit of damage per second and the mod was upgraded and replaced before it had even touched the hull through the shield regen
This reminds me of a frequent oopsie moment of mine when delaying on upgrades where I Keep forgetting the floor of the tree cove is like, five whole meters or some insignificant amount deeper than the Prawn's default crush depth. "Oh boy, the tree cove!... Ah, time to turn around and grapple back out of the tree cove." Or at the very least, there was SOME point where I'd keep doing that across playthroughs, it has been a while.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Section Z posted:

This reminds me of a frequent oopsie moment of mine when delaying on upgrades where I Keep forgetting the floor of the tree cove is like, five whole meters or some insignificant amount deeper than the Prawn's default crush depth. "Oh boy, the tree cove!... Ah, time to turn around and grapple back out of the tree cove." Or at the very least, there was SOME point where I'd keep doing that across playthroughs, it has been a while.

It's more like 30 or so meters, but yeah. I wound up building a ridiculous tower atop my first mega-base down there, once, to install a moonpool at the top of it, so that I could dock my seamoth in said base. It was kind of amazing in its dumbness, so not really a downside.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
How many of you have perfected the ideal base design? I'm surprised I've not seen a whole lot of base layouts being posted.

I had numerous bases across the map, but I think the most practical location for me (outside of Tree Cove) was the base I built on an overlook above a thermal vent to the east of escape pod 12.

I didn't realise it at the time, but it's also quite close to a warp gate, which gives me access to Tree Cove and most of the map. There's still some resources I need to to travel to collect, but the planter boxes help keep my growable resources close by. I guess I do need to be mindful about where I park the Seamoth, because the bonesharks and ampeels tend to get a bit feisty

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

idk what kind of ideal design you're looking for, you only need a handful of rooms and it doesn't matter how they're arranged

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
tired: ideal base layout
wired: how much poo poo can you cram into your cyclops before something clips something else poorly and causes a broken reality physics event

my ideal base layout is usually "a scanner room and maybe a moon pool with an outdoor garden slapped down outside for poo poo that doesn't grow in that biome, just in case", placed near whatever I wanted to scan for

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

If by ‘ideal’ you mean what we’re individually comfortable with, I like to put my ‘main’ base right at the edge between one of the red-seaweed zones and the Shallows. Theres’s a nice drop-off there over which one can locate Moonpools, and I leave my Vehicle Bay floating a little farther out than that so I never repeat the mistake of dropping the Cyclops into shallow water where I have to scrape the absolute gently caress out of the keel and flanks to get it into free water.

I once had one perched on the ridge between the bottom area of the Floating Islands and the Mountains biome, which I had intended originally as a scanner outpost to support building a more-shallow base but then wound up making my big installation. Bone sharks constantly pissed as I came back or left was endlessly entertaining, except when I was first building the place before I powered it on, when they would slap my Moth around and move it.

The Lost River tree cavern is also a classic, and I personally am a fan of having a Moonpool-nuclear reactor-Multipurpose Room-observatory setup in the lava zone, maybe with a scanner too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think since bases are generally equally functional (assuming you build all the necessary stuff), I'm interested in aesthetics in base building/planning. Anyone have any nice looking layouts?

Obviously the look with be fairly limited, given the part variety or lack thereof but I've seen some crazy and awesome stuff online.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone have any nice looking layouts?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I would kill for a mod that makes multi layer pods open inside.

Also, Pod 6 are jerks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Way to go Sparks... You broke the controls, AND you're dead.

Edit: Subnautica: Pod 6 WAS jerks.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fall Dog posted:

How many of you have perfected the ideal base design? I'm surprised I've not seen a whole lot of base layouts being posted.

I had numerous bases across the map, but I think the most practical location for me (outside of Tree Cove) was the base I built on an overlook above a thermal vent to the east of escape pod 12.

I didn't realise it at the time, but it's also quite close to a warp gate, which gives me access to Tree Cove and most of the map. There's still some resources I need to to travel to collect, but the planter boxes help keep my growable resources close by. I guess I do need to be mindful about where I park the Seamoth, because the bonesharks and ampeels tend to get a bit feisty

Perfect would be a lie because I am uncreative as hell. But my primary hoarder storage dens tended to end focusing on stacked Multipurpose rooms with a ladder through the whole thing. Then bolting the scan room and moon-pools to one side via hallways.

It is surprisingly zippy because base ladders just teleport you. So it ended up a lot faster to navigate than it sounds when you can go from the basement "Nuclear reactor just to say I have one" to floor seven break room in under a second. Also makes for faster trips yoinking fish from containment and then slam dunking them into bioreactors in small outposts because fruit is worth hardly any power compared to a couple fish :v:

But aesthetic wise? It only looks even slightly approaching "good" if you turn them into essentially glass skyscrapers held together by the power of reinforcement panels outpacing the structure loss.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 28, 2021

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Yes, I meant ideal for you, not a gold standard optimal design or whatever. I thought it would be nice to see how people designed their bases, and what the logic behind the choices was.

My starting base is usually built on a little cliffside not far from a large wreck that has a jellyshroom cave entrance nearby. It's on top of a little cave network that gives me plenty of quartz and cave sulphur, and borders the safe shallows/kelp zone, grassy plateaus, and mushroom forest biomes.

Design-wise, my 'ideal' base is in two separate structures. The lower part is H shaped, and is used for fish/power production. The upper section is a row of three multi-purpose rooms with 2x moonpools branching off the middle multi-purpose room. Access to the upper section is via the moonpools.

I'm currently experimenting with using wall planters instead of the regular indoor plants as a way of being more space efficient. Each planter holds a single marblemelon, and a wall of them send to be more than adequate. The left and right multi-purpose rooms have a sub-floor each that are filled with lockers for storage.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fall Dog posted:

I'm currently experimenting with using wall planters instead of the regular indoor plants as a way of being more space efficient. Each planter holds a single marblemelon, and a wall of them send to be more than adequate. The left and right multi-purpose rooms have a sub-floor each that are filled with lockers for storage.

Wall planters make me nervous to even think about using for decorative reasons, because I dimly remember all the hull breaches from swinging your knife seven feet away from a wall at a floor planter during Early Access :shepface:

Multiple moonpools is always a good time for cool bases above seamoth crush depth though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Wall planters are great for space conservation and terrible for interacting with quickly, since replanting a floor plot just means interacting with one UI vs 16 seperate ones

even on a space-limited cyclops I opted for stubbing my toes going through the hatch for the sake of fitting a floor garden in after wasting so much time loving with wall sconces

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Here are some screenshots of my base:

The jellyshrooms are bright enough for me to use as 'runway beacons' and there's enough space for the PRAWN to navigate without issue

I've tried keeping things symmetrical, which is why I've put the moonpools in a north/south configuration. I also started a rooftop garden to keep a supply of everything I'd need for crafting, plus some of the more interesting plants I've found during my travels.

I exit on the left side of the room, and preferred to have a wall there for lockers and the fabricator. Chances are I'm just dumping a bunch of materials and maybe topping up on some food and water before continuing with my exploration or resource scavenging.

One of the multipurpose rooms is used as a charge and modification bay. I can also collect more water and salt as required.

If I build a ladder, I can access the storage room below. I now have two of these rooms set up, which is definitely overkill. The walls are all reinforced to help maintain base integrity. The autosort mod means I don't need to physically collect materials every time I want to fabricate something.

The central multipurpose room has the radio, medikit, garbage disposal and wall planters. I could have planter boxes in the middle of the rooms, but I'm not feeling annoyed yet by the amount of interaction required with individual wall planters. It's only a new change, so I'll see how I feel.

The rear of the base. The second moonpool was only just added, so I've not fleshed out this side. You can also see the separation of the upper and lower sections of the base. The double-height aquarium in the lower section is entirely frivolous but looks pretty.

The windowed multipurpose rooms have aquariums containing a couple of Ampeels for power generation. The rear multipurpose rooms have aquariums full of Reginalds for curing/cooking.

The base is still able to take advantage of solar panels and there's a thermal vent directly below it for geothermal power. My original base idea was to use aquariums that fed directly into bioreactors, but that was scrapped due to the dumb way the games handles power management. I'd have 3x full bioreactors idling while the other was constantly at 0 power. The Ampeel power generation is from a mod, but there's been an issue with how much power is being produced. It's essentially infinite power, so I'm not going to complain too much about that!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The ideal base design is the absolute bare minimum needed to finish the game!

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Minimal spoilers, but where do I find that plant you mix with rubies to make that advanced synthetic?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fall Dog posted:

Here are some screenshots of my base:

The jellyshrooms are bright enough for me to use as 'runway beacons' and there's enough space for the PRAWN to navigate without issue

I've tried keeping things symmetrical, which is why I've put the moonpools in a north/south configuration. I also started a rooftop garden to keep a supply of everything I'd need for crafting, plus some of the more interesting plants I've found during my travels.

I exit on the left side of the room, and preferred to have a wall there for lockers and the fabricator. Chances are I'm just dumping a bunch of materials and maybe topping up on some food and water before continuing with my exploration or resource scavenging.

One of the multipurpose rooms is used as a charge and modification bay. I can also collect more water and salt as required.

If I build a ladder, I can access the storage room below. I now have two of these rooms set up, which is definitely overkill. The walls are all reinforced to help maintain base integrity. The autosort mod means I don't need to physically collect materials every time I want to fabricate something.

The central multipurpose room has the radio, medikit, garbage disposal and wall planters. I could have planter boxes in the middle of the rooms, but I'm not feeling annoyed yet by the amount of interaction required with individual wall planters. It's only a new change, so I'll see how I feel.

The rear of the base. The second moonpool was only just added, so I've not fleshed out this side. You can also see the separation of the upper and lower sections of the base. The double-height aquarium in the lower section is entirely frivolous but looks pretty.

The windowed multipurpose rooms have aquariums containing a couple of Ampeels for power generation. The rear multipurpose rooms have aquariums full of Reginalds for curing/cooking.

The base is still able to take advantage of solar panels and there's a thermal vent directly below it for geothermal power. My original base idea was to use aquariums that fed directly into bioreactors, but that was scrapped due to the dumb way the games handles power management. I'd have 3x full bioreactors idling while the other was constantly at 0 power. The Ampeel power generation is from a mod, but there's been an issue with how much power is being produced. It's essentially infinite power, so I'm not going to complain too much about that!

I loved this! Wish I played on PC, because I could definitely use an auto sorter.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

tired: ideal base layout
wired: how much poo poo can you cram into your cyclops before something clips something else poorly and causes a broken reality physics event

I think they patched it down, but you used to be able to stack wall storage shelves so high up on the wall it clipped outside the curve of the sub. Combined with all the lantern fruit trees and things also clipping outside the sub, almost to the point you could pick fruit from outside, I was having a lot of wobble-sub where I'd suddenly drop out of the sub or get flung wildy around. It was a pain to declutter my sub and shuffle my stockpiles around to fix the shakiness lol.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

StratGoatCom posted:

Minimal spoilers, but where do I find that plant you mix with rubies to make that advanced synthetic?

Look to the south end of the world, and go ~500m down. If you’re seeing crabsquids you’re probably in the right area.

If you’re able to see whatever biome you’re in, that’s the deep grand reef area. There should be some somewhere around in there.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Do ampeels in a aquarium tank really generate power? Or are you just feeding them to a bioreactor? I guess you just have have to find two ampeel eggs to eventually have a steady supply?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Fall Dog posted:

The Ampeel power generation is from a mod, but there's been an issue with how much power is being produced. It's essentially infinite power, so I'm not going to complain too much about that!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

withak posted:

Do ampeels in a aquarium tank really generate power? Or are you just feeding them to a bioreactor? I guess you just have have to find two ampeel eggs to eventually have a steady supply?

They do offer "a lot" of power but the math is screwy in that large animals (or plants) are not worth as much as it seems.

Unless something changed when I wasn't looking, bio reactors are always a slow trickle feed of generation rate no matter what you put in. The power value is how long it takes for any given item in the bio reactor to get used up and erased.

Big animals with a big value are worth less than just shoving the equivalent tile space in peepers in there. Also if you use one of the few things so huge that it fills the entire bioreactor in one go, then you have the awkward problem of having no idea if you need to refill the thing or not without stopping to check. This is also why big predators are a bit awkward because you can only fit one huge 3x3 shark or whatever in at a time.

So the Amp eel is probably worth something like 600-700, but that is a 3x3 (or 2x2?) critter in the 4x4 grid. But a peeper or reginald are worth something like 400 each, per tile. And easier to eyeball "How much power is being used by this bioreactor on average?" by how many small fish are burning out vs "oops the only large predator I can fit in here ran out when I wasn't looking"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 28, 2021

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

withak posted:

There are (or were) a couple of mods available that tweaked how alien containment units functioned. You could increase the capacity of the ACU, release excess fish into the wild, feed excess fish into bioreactors, and allow Ampeels to generate small amounts of electricity. The base game doesn't allow electricity production from Ampeels.

One of the mods also required certain plants to be inside the ACU to allow the various eggs to hatch, but that was buggy and the eggs would just vanish despite having the correct plant present.

I also have a mod that was supposed to improve the performance of the bioreactors, but it would still draw power from one reactor only. A separate mod addressed the power management problems, I think

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
drat Fall Dog, that base is far better than something I've ever done.
Nice.

Mod wise, I should look into that auto sort mod.
I do have a problem when I am multi crafting and it tells me I am out of power, even though I have over 1000 left.
I use the mod that auto crafts everything under it, like batteries etc and also the mod that uses power in a particular order.
I think its running out of power in the solar panel (1st in line) and thats loving it up.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I found an interesting bug in Xbox version where thermal power conduits were feeding into the solar array located on top of my base, which caused the thermal power to intermittently power the base. I wouldn't have any thermal power until I went out and physically looked at the power transfer lines, where it would start working again (sometimes).

The only fix was removing the solar array, which forced the thermal power conduit to go directly into the base.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah I’m looking for the next survival builder drug. I’m either going with Medieval Dynasty or The Raft. MD is out of early access, while Raft is not, so maybe I’ll go with MD. Anybody played those two?

Try Valheim, it's a retro-ish survival game with rpg elements and a whole lot of housey-buildey-feely-comfy options and it's really scratching my itch at the moment.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Voidtrain looks like it could be an interesting option when you're jonesing for some Subnautica vibes. I've only seen it through streamers but it looks like it could have potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Try Valheim, it's a retro-ish survival game with rpg elements and a whole lot of housey-buildey-feely-comfy options and it's really scratching my itch at the moment.

Counterpoint: Don't try Valheim, because it's absolutely fantastic until you run into the brick wall of "no more content available" and it feels that much worse because it was so good up until that point

I loved it to death but really wish I could go unplay it until it's actually done