Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Wendigee posted:

Is there a known option for a large head like mine?

I have the same size of head. I’ve tried most brands and found that POC fits well for large noggins. Their largest size goes up to 62cm.

But they are dear and can be hard to find in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Busy weekend so not much time to ride my new bike, managed to squeeze 1 hour between F1 and dinner. Definitely feels faster than the old one, average pace went up too even though my legs weren't in the best shape.

Do have to get used to the seating position. Lower back started to complain after about 45 mins.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mexecan posted:

I have the same size of head. I’ve tried most brands and found that POC fits well for large noggins. Their largest size goes up to 62cm.

POC helmets are too round IMO, they always compress the front/back of my noggin.
Giro's agree the most with my big head.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I have Giro and Specialized helmets and both work well for my huge bulbous head

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I have Giro and Specialized helmets and both work well for my huge bulbous head

I have also had Giro and Specialized helmets (Rips Evade) and also suffer from massive head-itis and can confirm they're good.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Wendigee posted:

so i need some help picking out a bicycle helmet.

my head is huge. i run a 7 5/8 to 7 3/4 fitted baseball cap.

I am wanting to start biking again, but I feel wobbly and I feel like I would be stupid to not get a helmet.

I run a 7 1/2 - 7 5/8 and I've been ordering helmets from REI and returning them when they don't fit. I really liked the fit of the POC Omne Air Spin (I have a rounder head) but the ear straps are so drat short with zero adjustment I couldn't wear it. I tried on a large Smith helmet in store and it fits fairly well, but didn't have it in the color I wanted so I have one on order. My head didn't agree with the Giro Agilis or the Giro Fixture. My previous Specialized helmet also was a decent fit but looks kinda strange on my head.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I like my MET Manta but I have a perfectly proportioned noggin' so ymmv

Speaking of helmets, how do you all go about cleaning the salt from the straps? Any nifty techniques?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Lex Neville posted:

Speaking of helmets, how do you all go about cleaning the salt from the straps? Any nifty techniques?

Ride in the rain

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Lex Neville posted:

Rinse it off before you hop in the shower.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
I just take my helmet into the shower post ride and use soap on the straps. The removable padding goes into a bag and into the washing machine with the rest of my gear.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have 5 helmets and rotate between them and then after like a year of that when the straps don't bend any more I wash them off in the sink. No flesh eating bacteria yet!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Wendigee posted:

so i need some help picking out a bicycle helmet.

my head is huge. i run a 7 5/8 to 7 3/4 fitted baseball cap.

I am wanting to start biking again, but I feel wobbly and I feel like I would be stupid to not get a helmet.

The only helmet I have found in this size is the Serfas HT-400/404 Metro Helmet.

Is this thing any good? I googled my local bike shops and they don't sell helmets in the 58 cm + range unless you order.

I can not find a single review or video of this helmet anywhere. I guess Serfas mostly sells bike accessories rather than helmets.

I'm just looking for some advice on what to do or if anyone knows a helmet that's in the 58-62 cm range and will let me return it if it doesn't fit at this point.

This place called moosejaw will let me buy it with free shipping for about 60 bucks, and if I want to return it, its just 8 dollar fee and I get the rest back. Its the same helmet that my local store would have to order for me, and I don't know if they would let me return it.

Is there a known option for a large head like mine?

I have a head about that big. I ride with a POC Ventral Air in an XL and it hasn't given me any trouble.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Salt Fish posted:

I have 5 helmets and rotate between them and then after like a year of that when the straps don't bend any more I wash them off in the sink. No flesh eating bacteria yet!

strong username / post synergy

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

mexecan posted:

Specialized Max helmet if you can find one. 64cm.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Lex Neville posted:

I handwash my HR chest strap after every ride and rinse my helmet with the lather that comes off in that process. Every few rides, I will work soap directly onto the helmet pads and webbing. Every couple weeks, I will chuck the pads and HR strap in a delicates bag and machine wash them.

Nothing is worse than following someone who doesn’t properly wash the sour bacterial sweat smell out of their gear on a group ride.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 27, 2021

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I have never washed my chest strap and I’ve never watched helmet straps. Neither smell to me, I’ve asked my partner too and she doesn’t think they do either 🤷🏼‍♂️

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Once the salt forms a solid crust there are no bacteria that can live there.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I don’t really sweat much and I’ve never sweated enough to have salt stains on anything!

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Is it true that aero helmets are quieter? I noticed that my oldish Bontrager something is both really bulbous/ugly, and quite loud sounding. Maybe the aero helmet thing is just hearsay though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Your ears pick up wind noise, and are also a big source of it. Try wearing a buff over your ears and see how much quieter it is.
It's certainly possibly helmets direct air toward or away from your ears enough to change sound levels, but I've never noticed a consistent difference between helmets vs, say, how windy it is.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Cat Ears might look a bit silly, but they really do work wonders for sound dampening.

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

Is there anywhere in the US that actually has a Force or Red AXS groupset in stock? -- I'd really rather not wait until the middle of next year to start building my bike.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Huge fan of the Giro Aether but it's too much money. To it's credit my friend crashed and smoked his head and he didn't get a concussion so MIPS did its job.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

SirLeigh posted:

Is there anywhere in the US that actually has a Force or Red AXS groupset in stock? -- I'd really rather not wait until the middle of next year to start building my bike.

If you don't need hydraulic brakes you can get it from here https://www.coloradocyclist.com/sram-red-etap-axs-groupset-2x-standard

Otherwise it seems that bike parts are chilling on the low with all the video cards.

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

osker posted:

If you don't need hydraulic brakes you can get it from here https://www.coloradocyclist.com/sram-red-etap-axs-groupset-2x-standard

Otherwise it seems that bike parts are chilling on the low with all the video cards.

Yeah, unfortunately, I want hydraulic. Maybe I'll just go Shimano, even though its more expensive and apparently harder to set up... but at least I might get it this year.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I have never washed my chest strap and I’ve never watched helmet straps. Neither smell to me, I’ve asked my partner too and she doesn’t think they do either 🤷🏼‍♂️

How often do you wash your regular clothes?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've never washed helmet pads either but then I never wear it without a cap, which gets washed regularly

I should probably give the HR strap a clean more often though tbf

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
I wear a cap and never clean my helmet pads or straps but I really should. I'm a sweaty mess.

HR strap gets taken into the shower every other ride though.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I never feel like I sweat a lot, but that's because I'm moving at a decent enough clip that the sweat evaporates. On really hot rides (above 90° F with 80% humidity or so, or as we call it in the Midwest, "a relatively dry, cool July day"), the heat hits me all at once when I stop somewhere to take a quick break. The real fun is when the sweat suddenly finds my eyeballs. When I'm lucky, it takes some sunblock along for the ride.

Then I get home, and the sides of my face (and parts of my clothes) are covered in white, crusty powder that tastes really salty.

Anyway, I drew a thing in Ride With GPS.

Fifty miles. The main feature here is that I'll get to see all of the scenery on the loops, and it won't be one of those rides where I get on a trail, ride, then turn around and ride back. I do those along the river a lot, and while they're fun (I like river scenery), I prefer loops. This route does double over a couple of segments, but it's not just riding to one spot and turning right around to immediately ride the same path again, so it's not as annoying.

I do wish that the local paths made some larger loops that didn't involve lengthy road segments, but hey, this is better than what some places have.

This is 15 miles longer than my current longest ride, so this could be a goal for next year, but with global warming, maybe I can do it this year. I've done a few 30 mile rides now, and a 35-ish mile one. I should probably try a 40 mile ride first, right?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nah, just do the 50. If you can ride 35 you can do 50.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Yeah, just go for it. Just eat, drink and afterwards rest more.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

I've taken lots of 35 mile rides and just took my first >50 a few weeks back. It was fine! In fact I felt more energetic after the 50 than after the 35s, because I made more of an effort to stop a few times and eat snacks along the way

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Polo-Rican posted:

I've taken lots of 35 mile rides and just took my first >50 a few weeks back. It was fine! In fact I felt more energetic after the 50 than after the 35s, because I made more of an effort to stop a few times and eat snacks along the way

Hmmmmm.

This trail does have a Culvers somewhere near the 2/3rds mark, I think. I mean, it's literally right there along the bike path. My buddy and I were joking about the chances of succeeding in a long ride after scarfing down a butterburger, some fries, and a frozen custard shake. I'd probably have to call the wife to tell her where to pick me up!

I'll keep an eye on the weather. We already plan on eating at the new Five Guys that just opened in the town where I'll be starting and finishing.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Should I replace my inner tubes if I'm changing out my tires? The tires are starting to show some significant signs that they need to be changed out after ~1000 miles (mainly flat spots and cuts). If so, are the basic butyl tube pretty much the same no matter where you get them from as long as you get the right size?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

If the tubes are holding air and don't look dry rotted then keep riding them.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

1000 miles for a set of tyres is pretty low. Are you on particularly rough surfaces?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Albinator posted:

1000 miles for a set of tyres is pretty low. Are you on particularly rough surfaces?

Not super rough, but not super nice either; mainly the crap that gets swept from the main streets into the bike lanes. Inspecting my tires today I found a number of cuts in both my front and rear tires that go down to the inner tube. They were the tires that came with the bike, so it's a good excuse to upgrade.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

kimcicle posted:

Not super rough, but not super nice either; mainly the crap that gets swept from the main streets into the bike lanes. Inspecting my tires today I found a number of cuts in both my front and rear tires that go down to the inner tube. They were the tires that came with the bike, so it's a good excuse to upgrade.

I'm doing the same ATM

My burst tube required a new tire aswell, and the shop gave me a marathon plus

Seeing how well it rides compared to the rear stock tire is very compelling to get a second marathon tire

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What tire rode worse than a marathon plus? A tank tread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

What tire rode worse than a marathon plus? A tank tread?

Its honestly not far off

It was the stock whitewalls that came with my cruiser

Just balloon out , but can't take meaningful pressure to counteract it

The single marathon on the front has already improved ride quality and rolling resistance sigggggnificantly