Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Quorum posted:

This is way, way down on the list of things that make Xanth objectionable, but it seriously bugs me that the magic parody counterpart to Cape Canaveral/KSC is the Isle of Illusion.
I don't know anything about Xanth, but it seems appropriate that a place named the Isle of Illusion would be the fantasy counterpart to where the lunar mission started.

The real issue to me is that Disney World doesn't have a fantasy counterpart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
lmao, that reminds me of

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

big dick vestmänland

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:roflolmao:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't know anything about Xanth, but it seems appropriate that a place named the Isle of Illusion would be the fantasy counterpart to where the lunar mission started.

The real issue to me is that Disney World doesn't have a fantasy counterpart.
You're much better off not knowing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Antigravitas posted:

lmao, that reminds me of

Who tf are the dudes in the east calling it a chocolatine

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So what happened to Gotland?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Guavanaut posted:

Island people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guavanaut posted:

The correlation is not to radiation itself but to mutants. While Gotlanders may not have gotten much fallout, they do have a lot of inbreeding.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

One meltdown wasn't enough.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://www.oregon.gov/oha/PH/HEALTHYENVIRONMENTS/DRINKINGWATER/PLANREVIEW/Documents/seismic-map.pdf

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
(non-American) Portland isn't a port? Huh I always thought it was on the sea.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

DarkCrawler posted:

It's a river port, like London.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It got the name because one of the initial white dudes to own the land was from Maine, whose capital is a Portland that is, in fact, a port

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

DarkCrawler posted:

It's got a fairly substantial river but it was named after Portland Maine, which is a port. It was going to be either Portland or Boston and was decided by a coin toss.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

the real damage potential here is the violence done to my eyes by the color code.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It got the name because one of the initial white dudes to own the land was from Maine, whose capital is a Portland that is, in fact, a port

And in turn, that Portland is named after a Portland in England! Our shameless-copy names have generations and family trees. The same thing happened with Richmond (California, Virginia, England).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Isn't California named after a fictional island from some novel that was popular at the time?

Kinda like if it was 'discovered' in 2018 it would've been called Westeros or Wakanda.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Man if I could name a place I'd go with something original. Like 90% of them are just named after some guy or some place that already loving exists. At least go with a fictional place.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Isn't California named after a fictional island from some novel that was popular at the time?

Kinda like if it was 'discovered' in 2018 it would've been called Westeros or Wakanda.

Yep.

Etymology: Probably Spanish after California, a Utopian island of the Amazons described in Las sergas de Esplandián, a 16th-century Spanish novel. The name comes from the fictional island's Muslim-allied queen, Calafia, whose name is a play on Arabic خَلِيفَة‎ (ḵalīfa, “caliph”).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yes, and also the name shares a root with “caliphate”.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

It would be Wakanda. 110%.

I don't know how popular was the book at the time, but is mentioned in The Quixote, as one of the books the nerdy friends of Quixote check when deciding to burn or to rescue.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

There’s got to be a length of red thread on Glenn Beck’s crazy wall about that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

DarkCrawler posted:

Man if I could name a place I'd go with something original. Like 90% of them are just named after some guy or some place that already loving exists. At least go with a fictional place.

I love my city, Rochester NY. Founded by a dude named Nathaniel Rochester, he called it Rochesterville like he was starting a Geocities-based BBS chat for his friends. Later gets shortened to Rochester.

...which, is where Nathaniel Rochester's name came from in the first place. Rochester, Kent, England. So there's this dumb little etymological backstory that basically boils down to "yeah Rochester NY is named after Rochester in England" but with steps added.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Quorum posted:

And in turn, that Portland is named after a Portland in England! Our shameless-copy names have generations and family trees. The same thing happened with Richmond (California, Virginia, England).

Let us not forget that Maine itself is a region of France, southwest of Normandy

Brawnfire posted:

I love my city, Rochester NY. Founded by a dude named Nathaniel Rochester, he called it Rochesterville like he was starting a Geocities-based BBS chat for his friends. Later gets shortened to Rochester.

...which, is where Nathaniel Rochester's name came from in the first place. Rochester, Kent, England. So there's this dumb little etymological backstory that basically boils down to "yeah Rochester NY is named after Rochester in England" but with steps added.

Best of the upstate cities. Syracuse is alright, let's not talk about Buffalo.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 27, 2021

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Rebel Blob posted:

Where are the toilets?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Let us not forget that Maine itself is a region of France, southwest of Normandy

Good night, you Counts of Maine!

quote:

Best of the upstate cities. Syracuse is alright, let's not talk about Buffalo.

I'll talk about Big Ditch Brewing, but yeah we'll stop there

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
already a few pages back but aren't both warewolves and vampires things from PIE mythology? So basically all of Indo-European speaking europe should have some version of them.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I think the map is based on vibes rather than like, ethnographic/historical research

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Vasukhani posted:

already a few pages back but aren't both warewolves and vampires things from PIE mythology? So basically all of Indo-European speaking europe should have some version of them.

Sorta depends on what you think is the defining characteristics of vampires. Is drinking blood more important than being undead? Do they need to be the actual corpse or can they be spirits? Do demonic beings count? Is a witch that breaks into your house and steals your blood for a potion a vampire? Is a vengeful immobile blood golem a vampire? Is an elf that sits on your chest and drinks your blood causing nightmares a vampire? Or a fairy maiden that serves as a muse to great artists while draining their lifeforce ensuring that they die young?

If yes then the folklore of Europe is absolutely infested with vampires.

Vampires as we know them (blood drinking undead) are primarily a southern Slavic phenomenon emerging sometime in the early modern period and becoming known in the west following several well publicised outbreaks of vampire mania in several Baltic villages in the late 18th century but there's similar creatures both much earlier and all over the world.

There are some precursors all over Europe such as the Greek Vrykolakas in the 17th century, the Spectrum in 16th century Silesia, the Norse Draugr from the viking age and onward, and the English Revenant of the 13th century. All are malign corporeal undead often with some less-corporeal abilities such as shapeshifting and the ability to turn invisible and all of them are at least partially contagious with their curse passing on to their victims. There's also archeological evidence of corpse mutilation going back to antiquity that might've been done to prevent the corpse from rising and some early medieval references to such practises and laws prohibiting such things.

However blood drinking isn't really a factor outside of Yugoslavia. Sort of. The English revenants are compared to leeches engorged with blood but no direct mention is made to them actually drinking blood and I'm fairly certain I once came across a reference to a blood drinking draugr in the Icelandic annals but I failed to make proper notes and have been unable to find it again. You can also find weird stuff like the German Nachzehrer which is a corpse that gnaws on its own shroud which by some magical means allows them to drain the lifeforce of their surviving relatives without ever actually leaving their graves.

Blood drinking, or at least blood stealing, witches appear in folklore much earlier and some cultures, such as Russia, never really differentiated witches and vampires as their function was essentially a same. All witches are cursed to rise from their grave and after that they largely continue to do the same stuff they did in life so why treat them any differently?

There's also a whole bunch of blood drinking fairies in Ireland and Scotland. As well as the old Irish legend of Abhartach, which may have been just as much of an inspiration for Dracula as Vlad Tepes. In which a tyrannical chieftain with dwarfism oppresses his subjects until he is killed by a hero only to return from the dead and begins to demand a tax of human blood. He is killed over and over again returning each time until, on the advice of a druid, the hero kills the cruel dwarf with a wooden sword and buries him upside down.

And that's not getting into all the various of types of Asian vampires which are a nightmare to find any good sources on in English.

Tl:dr:

Yes

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Mr. Van Helsing over here

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I feel like people talk a lot about how the Mercator projection makes Europe look disproportionately large, but I never hear people talk about how Italy's variant of the Conic* projection makes Italy look disproportionately large:

*I can't figure out exactly what projection that is.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 27, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Vasukhani posted:

That depends if you think a hamburger and moussaka are basically the same thing.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Quorum posted:

I wonder why humans are always so shittily unorigincal in naming cities. The Greeks, Phoenicians and Romans were just as generic at it.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
I think it would have to do with the idea that the names that are most 'resonant' with a community are ones where meanings are broad, concrete, and accessible?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Mr. Van Helsing over here

That's Dr. Van Helsing to you.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I wonder why humans are always so shittily unorigincal in naming cities. The Greeks, Phoenicians and Romans were just as generic at it.

There are two types of placenames: boring as poo poo unimaginative names, and names that have been used for so long that we forgot what they mean.

Case in point: Transylvania. Literally just "beyond the forest", but a lot of people don't know and think it sounds cool.

Common ideas for names: geographical features, people/religious names, commercial function.

Anyway, I saw this in a store and figured y'all would hate it:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Yes, thanks, I hate it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I kinda like it. Roll and see where the party has to travel on their latest quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
AD2300 used that "projection" in all their worldmaps..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2300_AD