Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vaal summon skeletons will get you through the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Jack B Nimble posted:

What is time I guess; the archer was back when Act 4 ended the game.

Yeah, Acts 5 - 10 were introduced in 3.0.0, which was August 2017.

Agreed with euph, Skellies can easily get you through the campaign. Be Necromancer, pick all the life and minion damage nodes on the tree, sit back and enjoy the carnage.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

euphronius posted:

Vaal summon skeletons will get you through the campaign.

Are these summons on a duration or will they be like the Zombies I got for defeating Hillock? I'm sort of going back to every ARPG I own and see if I how viable it is to summon up some permanent help and then wander through the game with my hands in my pockets. It's a silly gimmick I know but its what I'm trying, and PoE is the only one I'd additionally care enough to finish, because it's great.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Skeltons have a duration and don’t move much from where you cast them (a few screens at most) but they kill everything and the Vaal button will kill bosses dead (most of the time )

You just move and summon

Getting permanent summons (zombies and specters) to that level takes a bit

You can easily do zombies and skeletons tho together

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
skellies are on a timer, vaal skeletons is just more of them all at once, but still on a timer.
you want zombies and carrion golems, with skeletons as deep-strike tactical kamikaze troops.

Also a basically unkillable animated guardian as buff-bot for the whole army, as well as ape-spectres for granting charges for everyone.

Actually i think skeletons are *the only* summon thats not permanent.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They aren’t getting a buff bot animated guardian in the campaign

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Actually i think skeletons are *the only* summon thats not permanent.

Summon Raging Spirit is temporary

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I guess I could be assed to click once, if that's what it takes; figuring out what each ARPG will or won't let me do with this gimmick is part the fun.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

They aren’t getting a buff bot animated guardian in the campaign

campaigns gonna end at some point

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

campaigns gonna end at some point

Read the posts man .

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Devor posted:

ah yes, i forgot about those because i dont see them as summons rather than seeker-missiles

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thinking I might just go Full Minion for next league's Dancing Duo build. Probably SRS because it's the only minion skill that doesn't leave me feeling like I'm just a spectator in my own game. (e. Or I guess skellingtons)

Still have to be Pathfinder for flasks, or maybe Pathfinder+Necro Scion? Or is there a way to get worm flasks to regen regularly with just necro? I guess they're health flasks (hybrid technically) so there might be something else I can do.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Devor posted:

and Herald of Purity, Herald of Agony, Absolution (:laugh:), Arkaali's Fang spiders...

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah, I guess I could be assed to click once, if that's what it takes; figuring out what each ARPG will or won't let me do with this gimmick is part the fun.

One or two clicks to handle a couple screens of mobs, one gently caress You button for bosses (not sure if you're familiar with Vaal skills, but they are supercharged versions of the base skill that require kills to charge up for activation(s); you can do some crazy poo poo to make them have drat near permanent uptime, but in this case you really only need Vaal Skellies for bosses).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

To be clear higher level summon skeletons gems Summon more than 1 per click so it’s not that bad

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Read the posts man .

yes youre right, i missed the part where he said he would quit the game and delete the character after A10 kitava, my bad.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Scion looks like it's probably Good Enough, at least on paper. Plus a minion build with spinny swords and a minion build without them is probably not that different so I could even league-start that way.

Of course there's nearly a month to go so I could easily get distracted by something shiny in the meantime.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
To speak more broadly about summons, D2 may be the high water mark of "spectator summoning" from what I've seen, but PoE isn't far behind. Torchlight 1 may be the low point because enemies refuse to aggro on the summons, so it's far from a frustration free affair. Torchlight 2 has better AI, but I didn't see any early summons in the engineer build, and I don't know how fun it would be to let my pet carry me to level 6.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I’m doing skeletons with assorted backup right now using the jewel that turns em into casters and it’s hilarious with greater volley and faster projectiles plus minion speed. Just summon the rainbow firing squad outta nowhere :pcgaming:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I've found the summon playstyle has room for it to be as hands-off or -on as you want. there's a ton of different minions and ways to buff/protect those minions, but you can't do everything on one character. properly built spectres will completely negate any need for you to do anything but use travels skills and curses. skellymancers you need to be dropping skellingtons all the time.

pretty much all the flavors of summon build are viable through low maps. an inexperienced player will almost certainly stall out around here or earlier unless you're following a guide. if (when) this happens don't get discouraged, it's practically expected as this game gives you way more rope than you need to hang yourself

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If I go as far as I can with intuition and then come back here for help, can the character likely be fixed or would I be making a new one?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Probably salvageable. I'm sure you're aware there's no "reset my character" button, but Regrets aren't that expensive and it's not like you'll be needing to change your Ascendancy class at all.

And like I said earlier, grabbing just life and minion damage nodes on the tree will get you most of the way there.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

One tip is to check out poe.ninja for what the top minion builds do with their tree. pick a minion and check the passive heatmap to see which nodes/pathing are most popular for a given skill. here's what summon spectres looks like for example:
https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds?class=Necromancer&skill=Raise-Spectre&heatmap

that should give you some idea of what nodes are most popular for spectre necros.

e: one thing i'm noticing for this build specifically is that all the top spectre people are chaos inoculation, so maybe less useful for a beginner. you kinda have to read between the lines with these top meta builds because obviously all those people are nuts rich

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 27, 2021

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

If I go as far as I can with intuition and then come back here for help, can the character likely be fixed or would I be making a new one?

Should be fine as long as you're not losing sleep about ~*optimal gaming*~. You get ~20 free respec points from side quests while doing the campaign.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Yolomon Wayne posted:

id rather have silence than undeliverable hype

poe's level of hype currently is a monotone chris wilson reading off a list of nerfs, there's zero risk of them under delivering

and it's a video game for turbo nerds, you can build a fuckton of hype for that because your players are actually the kind of drooling fans who legit get excited to hear about some new stick that gives you 10 poison damage for 20 strength

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Jack B Nimble posted:

As long as your intuition tells you to get more life. Golden rule is 300 life per act by the end of that act minimum, 400 for comfortable. Cap non chaos resists by act 3/4 and know they drop by 30% at the end of acts 5 and 10. You'll be golden through the campaign off just that and common sense.

Thread will always help fix a build if you feel stuck at any point.

Svensken
May 29, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

poe's level of hype currently is a monotone chris wilson reading off a list of nerfs, there's zero risk of them under delivering

and it's a video game for turbo nerds, you can build a fuckton of hype for that because your players are actually the kind of drooling fans who legit get excited to hear about some new stick that gives you 10 poison damage for 20 strength

Ngl 5 chaos damage per 10 strength sounds amazing

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Svensken posted:

Ngl 5 chaos damage per 10 strength sounds amazing

That's what Replica Alberron's Warpath give.

Adds 1 to 80 Chaos Damage to Attacks per 80 Strength

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Perhaps :thejoke:?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey all, as someone who only plays this game casually but who nonetheless returns to the game ever year or so I'm always a little surprised and pleased by the extent of the updates. I logged in last weekend and saw that the auto map is gorgeous and modern, something that feels very new; likewise, Lioneye's watch seems like it's gotten some new architecture. There were some changes I wanted to ask about though, just to get some context or more information from more expert players.

The first may or may not even be a thing, but I'd swear the game is more "zoomed in" than it was. I don't think it's just my set up because I can zoom in but not any further out. Since one of my previous PCs was an archer and did a LOT of picking off enemies on the screen edge, I feel like I know what it looked like maybe a couple of years ago, but who knows, am I wrong?

The second thing is definitely happening and I'm curious what's the design decision here: they keep having the actors re-record their lines, don't they? As someone who plays the game off and on, and who's always loved the voice acting as carrying on the legacy of Diablo 1 and 2, I have certain lines, especially from Act 1, burned in my mind, and I can hear the difference in delivery when someone in Lioneye's watch introduces themselves or comments on a quest. I don't mean changed voice actors, although I do hear some of that too; I'd swear that Bestrel and Tarkleigh are the same people but they've re-done the lines. What's up with that? Are they trying to keep the game fresh? Honestly, it's working.

If you got a ultrawide monitor the resolution could be making your game appear to be zoomed in. There's a sweet spot in windowed mode where you can get a bit more added to the sides of your screen but it's not much.

I took a break to play Grim Dawn and when I came back I could have sworn it was supposed to be zoomed out more, but it's just how POE is and your brain get's used to it after awhile.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Fried Watermelon posted:

If you got a ultrawide monitor the resolution could be making your game appear to be zoomed in. There's a sweet spot in windowed mode where you can get a bit more added to the sides of your screen but it's not much.

I took a break to play Grim Dawn and when I came back I could have sworn it was supposed to be zoomed out more, but it's just how POE is and your brain get's used to it after awhile.

I'm on a "normal" monitor and the same one I had in 2017, but I guess I could double check my in game resolution, it was probably Just Me though.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

yeah but this is on a stick!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

10 poison for 20 strength would be incredible

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
my life for poison stick

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
hey guys it's mathil here once again and I'm here to talk to you about this fuckin' insane poison stick build

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
poo poo now im hype for poison stick

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

In path of exile 3.16, Poison Stick league, you will help an unlikely ally, Bonjourno the Gibbon, as he traverses wraeclast and beyond in search of his scattered family. In return, the Gibbon host will impart their enchanted heirloom twigs, bestowed with ancient power. Combine these not fragments into powerful sticks with interesting and sometimes unexpected properties - and with battle stick in hand, crush your enemies

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

poison stick builds looks like they're costing about 15ex to really get into properly but do you think I can do it with 40c?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Clockwerk posted:

In path of exile 3.16, Poison Stick league, you will help an unlikely ally, Bonjourno the Gibbon, as he traverses wraeclast and beyond in search of his scattered family. In return, the Gibbon host will impart their enchanted heirloom twigs, bestowed with ancient power. Combine these not fragments into powerful sticks with interesting and sometimes unexpected properties - and with battle stick in hand, crush your enemies

crying as i kill einhar because he's holding 10,000 gibbons in his nets

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That command is worth playing offfline imho

If you are mainly solo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

gdi i can't believe they nerfed poison stick