Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Another thing I love about LDS is that behind-the-scenes discussion is stuff like "do you think the showrunner is loving with us re: a funny alien name" instead of "oh cool they're shooting without a completed set of scripts again" or "this season has how many producers?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Maybe he was adopted like Worf

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tars Tarkas posted:

Maybe he was adopted like Worf

Raised in Minsk

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Raised in Minsk

And named after the great historical human warrior-poet, Taylor Swift.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I knew you were trouble when you Kzin

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

Maybe he was raised by Kdaptists.

Which would make for some hilariously awkward interactions.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

William Shatner is going to go to space in Jeff Bezos's Blue Origin ship next month

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think they actually said Taylor in an episode

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

William Shatner is going to go to space in Jeff Bezos's Blue Origin ship next month

He's not going to go to space.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Someone else who worked on captioning said last week on Reddit that the script called him Taylor so I assume it's true.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh cool, it’s that part of the week where gimmickposters swoop in to poo poo all over an otherwise totally fine episode because it made a couple jokes and/or references they didn’t like.

I was just happy to hear Combs

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A.o.D. posted:

He's not going to go to space.

Are you being a pendant here about what technically is and isn't space?

He's going up in a drat rocket

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Bloop posted:

What, a piece of jewelry worn on a chain hanging around the neck? :smug:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

What, a piece of jewelry worn on a chain hanging around the neck? :smug:

Look another pendant!

lol autocorrect

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I loved this episode! Agreed with the upthread that without all the references it was able to be its own thing for a bit.

Also loved them flipping about the engineer virgin thing with the Ren Faire planet.

Powered Descent posted:

I particularly like the one at far left:

(Also, any of these would make pretty a bitchin' case for a gaming rig.)

That’s great. Just needed a mountain one with stars around it for good measure.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Look another pendant!

lol autocorrect

It really is the worst word to typo/autocorrect, it just invites comment

Anyway, sorry to brooch the subject

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

I particularly like the one at far left:

(Also, any of these would make pretty a bitchin' case for a gaming rig.)

Grand finale is going to be Badgey and Lore teaming up to set all of these loose.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Well, if something goes very wrong at just the right moment on the cockrocket, parts of him might make it into space.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

There are clouds that drat high.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They're are clouds on Jupiter

2. Jupiter is in space

Ç. Therefore

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MikeJF posted:

Grand finale is going to be Badgey and Lore teaming up to set all of these loose.

Network them all together and let them fight it out.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Anyhow the important thing is that Doohan actually went into space.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Didn't they send Roddenberry ashes to space too, possibly multiple times?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tars Tarkas posted:

Is he coming back though.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Is he coming back though.

In about 78 years we’ll send Patrick Stewart to get him.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I agree, but with the caveat that I don't think it really needs to say anything about it. "You have to stay a virgin or you become king" is no less goofy than "our court musician's lute is also a comm jammer" or "we call them Dragonfire Engines."
As it stands, the jokes are somewhat reluctant and fewer because it is (and should be) treated as an incidental bit that doesn't need further examination. You can have a subplot that involves someone being a virgin without having to make a statement on whether that is OK or not.

So I want to come back to this after the weekend because I think this is the thing I find weirdly fascinating and frustrating with LDS at the same time - it feels like the show did have something to say and then it got ripped out of the edit to make time.

What I thought was interesting about this B-story was that the stated motivation for Billups being a virgin is that he wants to be an Engineer rather than a King, but as the episode plays out it's definitely acted and art directed with a subtext that what's also really going on is that the character is actually asexual - his total lack of sense he's making a sacrifice with his life choice, throwing both genders at him because he's never expressed a preference, his performance issue - that's all been put in there deliberately. "Billups loves his virginity!" gets played as an awkward reluctant joke but I think that's actually the core truth of the story that they told, and it's odd to me that the show goes to the work of laying down all these pieces on the board but then doesn't follow through.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Alchenar posted:

What I thought was interesting about this B-story was that the stated motivation for Billups being a virgin is that he wants to be an Engineer rather than a King, but as the episode plays out it's definitely acted and art directed with a subtext that what's also really going on is that the character is actually asexual - his total lack of sense he's making a sacrifice with his life choice, throwing both genders at him because he's never expressed a preference, his performance issue - that's all been put in there deliberately. "Billups loves his virginity!" gets played as an awkward reluctant joke but I think that's actually the core truth of the story that they told, and it's odd to me that the show goes to the work of laying down all these pieces on the board but then doesn't follow through.

This is a pretty good reading tbh

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This is a pretty good reading tbh

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That’s really cool and 100% not something I picked up on, or would have picked up on unless it were pointed out and I love that it can have this kind of awesome subtext. Like something to discover after initial viewing to give the episode maybe a slightly different vibe.

Love this show.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hard to say if he is actually asexual since he is under duress about the whole thing. I took the performance issues as the fact that people he doesn't even like are trying to make him gently caress and that is not a turn on for a lot of people, to say the least.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Billups is warpcoresexual

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Bloop posted:

Hard to say if he is actually asexual since he is under duress about the whole thing. I took the performance issues as the fact that people he doesn't even like are trying to make him gently caress and that is not a turn on for a lot of people, to say the least.

Plus his entire life has been the choice between being free to be who he is as a person or having sex even once and his life never being his own again.

Lifelong negative stimulous like that would make anyone shut down.

Let alone being Mr Floppy

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i hope we get a three episode arc exploring Billup's sexuality. Geordi got this, right?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

punishedkissinger posted:

i hope we get a three episode arc exploring Billup's sexuality. Geordi got this, right?

Hell, after the bit on the holodeck last season I'd genuinely like him and Rutherford ending up in a somewhat unconventional relationship. Like, it felt like they were deliberately leaving it unclear if this was hero-worship or an actual crush on Rutherford's part (but whatever it was it was expressed through the medium of nerdery).

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 27, 2021

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Who is Billups?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You know, ~~ Prince Andarithio ~~

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Who is Billups?

My brain said "the chief engineer"

Then I glanced at your username to see who was asking and my brain was all that must say Argyle

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The Bloop posted:

My brain said "the chief engineer"

Then I glanced at your username to see who was asking and my brain was all that must say Argyle

I love that guy!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
And so do I!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Martytoof posted:

You know, ~~ Prince Andarithio ~~

oh that guy