Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sirius XM Lithium is playing a 20th anniversary interview with the surviving members of Nirvana.

It's fun listening to them just be weirdo music nerds and talk about how they passed up on things like co-headlining tours because the thought of that was so alien to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Iron Crowned posted:

How about this:

What defines grunge without naming specific bands?

A slower punk / less technical metal music that heavily relies on a mixture of distortion AND overdrive guitar effects combined with simple 4/4 meter with a mildly dissonant sound mostly played in a minor key.

You are either in two camps of grunge:

The punk inspired simple grunge like Nirvana/Mudhoney/the Melvins.
Or
The progressive rock/metal inspired grunge like Soundgarden/Pearl Jam/Alice in Chains

dialhforhero has a new favorite as of 21:53 on Sep 24, 2021

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

dialhforhero posted:

Or
The progressive rock/metal inspired grunge like Soundgarden/Pearl Jam/Alice in Chains

lol what it is extremely easy to like all of those bands at once (i do not, because pearl jam are dad rock trash)

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

mactheknife posted:

lol what it is extremely easy to like all of those bands at once (i do not, because pearl jam are dad rock trash)

You can like all of those bands but they are clearly different subgroups in sound.

Like if you can’t hear a big metal (at times even hair metal) kind of influence in Alice in Chains that is definitely not present in Nirvana then :wtc:

However both are grunge.

Look at their influences respectively and you’ll see the lineage.

dialhforhero has a new favorite as of 22:40 on Sep 24, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Trabant posted:

:hmmyes:

Returned to my life when I realized it would be good running music and I made this playlist:

Can you post a link to it? I do love me some 90s edm.

Also Tenchi Miyu is one of the most 90s of animes.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dialhforhero posted:

A slower punk / less technical metal music that heavily relies on a mixture of distortion AND overdrive guitar effects combined with simple 4/4 meter with a mildly dissonant sound mostly played in a minor key.

Or

AIC and Soundgarden were often using non 4/4 time.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Seldom Posts posted:

AIC and Soundgarden were often using non 4/4 time.

That is what makes them progressive

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Trabant posted:

Returned to my life when I realized it would be good running music and I made this playlist:

Running in the 90’s thread

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

twistedmentat posted:

Can you post a link to it? I do love me some 90s edm.

Ah, I'm afraid I was originally dumb enough to set up Spotify with my Facebook account, so I'd be doxxing myself if I posted a link. But here are the terrible, wonderful songs I run shuffle and wheeze along to:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Trabant posted:

Ah, I'm afraid I was originally dumb enough to set up Spotify with my Facebook account, so I'd be doxxing myself if I posted a link. But here are the terrible, wonderful songs I run shuffle and wheeze along to:

Oh poo poo lol I almost posted my 90s Playlist then realized that I had done the same thing. Not like I do t have lots of goon friends on fb from a long dead marvel game on there, maybe not a great idea.

I say your just missing some Ebenezer Goode. I also like how many of these are exactly how I have them organized too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/XP5rakahDbs

https://youtu.be/GeOSWLGKuaE

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

mactheknife posted:

Years ago when Starbucks had those free iTunes singles cards at the counter I saw one for Vedder's solo album. He was strumming a banjo in a beached canoe on the shores of a lake and without thinking I yelled "Eddie No!" and everyone looked at me funny.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

twistedmentat posted:

I say your just missing some Ebenezer Goode. I also like how many of these are exactly how I have them organized too.

Also, this chat finally made me add KLF's stadium house trilogy (and its cousins) to the playlist. I always remember during the run, but I feel like utter poo poo afterwards that I never get around to it. Not this time!

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

uber_stoat posted:

Kurt was very outspoken about the music he liked and what his influences were. he never missed a chance to talk them up in interviews.

I learned about the Young Marble Giants and the Vaselines from ol' Kurt. I learned that Devo had more than one song! he had good taste.

you might enjoy this book. it isn't about Brit post punk/goth but it's a good run down of American indie music.

the book ends with Nirvana coming along like an apocalyptic tidal wave.

Along the same lines, I'd recommend what is basically the Canadian version of this book:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Trabant posted:

Also, this chat finally made me add KLF's stadium house trilogy (and its cousins) to the playlist. I always remember during the run, but I feel like utter poo poo afterwards that I never get around to it. Not this time!

Excellent. Most people see them as just some weird house band that featured rappers, sorta proto gorrilaz, but in reality they were a weird art collective.

White Room still slaps.

Also the woman in the America what time is love video is burned into my mind.

EDIT now i'm not phoneposting I can post that video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEeYtwwh3SE
NSFW due to taped over nipples. It was certainly one of the sexiest things I'd seen on daytime tv at the time. I also recently realized Scooter's video for Weekend is a referance to this video, which explains why they're dressed as vikings and the topless dancers on the boat, but not the kids with H.P.'s face on them. That poo poo is nightmare fuel.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 06:08 on Sep 27, 2021

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

I also recently realized Scooter's video for Weekend is a referance to this video, which explains why they're dressed as vikings and the topless dancers on the boat, but not the kids with H.P.'s face on them. That poo poo is nightmare fuel.

H.P. gave a shoutout to the KLF in the end of the song as well: ”Respect to the man in the ice-cream van”

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

j.peeba posted:

H.P. gave a shoutout to the KLF in the end of the song as well: ”Respect to the man in the ice-cream van”

A lot of their stuff references KLF, to such a point I thought Scooter was just a new incarnation.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
:stare:

Since it's not obvious from the headline: JMS is writing and exec-producing.

quote:

The new iteration of the sci-fi series is described as a “from-the-ground-up reboot.” In the series, John Sheridan, an Earthforce officer with a mysterious background, is assigned to Babylon 5, a five-mile-long space station in neutral space, a port of call for travelers, smugglers, corporate explorers and alien diplomats at a time of uneasy peace and the constant threat of war. His arrival triggers a destiny beyond anything he could have imagined, as an exploratory Earth company accidentally triggers a conflict with a civilization a million years ahead of us, putting Sheridan and the rest of the B5 crew in the line of fire as the last, best hope for the survival of the human race.

I suppose he had to change the story since we're not exactly decades away from the original run.

*holds hand up to ear*

I'm sorry, I'm being told that we are decades away from the original run.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
hopefully the cg is good. i'd love to see some b5 space battles with graphics that don't look like poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

uber_stoat posted:

hopefully the cg is good. i'd love to see some b5 space battles with graphics that don't look like poo poo.

They did not look like poo poo in 1996 :colbert:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The original effects looked great 25 years ago, but the world has moved on. There are some HD versions out there, and the difference is pretty striking.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, hopefully JMS will be given as much freedom as he got in the 90s AND more money.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Maybe not all the freedom, at least until we find out if it's Babylon 5 JMS or Everything before and after JMS.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

They did not look like poo poo in 1996 :colbert:

I thought they looked like poo poo by the time I saw B5 in syndication in the early 2000s tho

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Definitely looks worse than the star treks from the same time frame, though I guess those were models instead of cgi.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

chglcu posted:

Definitely looks worse than the star treks from the same time frame, though I guess those were models instead of cgi.

DS9 and Voyager were the first to use CG, IIRC. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, I’m too tired to Google it

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Ok Comboomer posted:

DS9 and Voyager were the first to use CG, IIRC. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, I’m too tired to Google it

https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/database/cgi.htm

quote:

The very first CGI created for Star Trek, was in "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan", where the Graphics Group of Lucasfilm was responsible for the Genesis effect as a subcontractor of the movie's effects company, Industrial Light & Magic (ILM). The Graphics Group would later evolve to Pixar.

[...]

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager had both implemented CGI in their title sequences (created in 1992 and 1994, respectively). Both series began their runs predominantly using traditional special effects methods, but transitioned to regular use of CGI in the late 1990s. The transition to CGI was completed in 1997, during DS9's sixth season and Voyager's fourth season; Voyager took the lead, having been unofficially designated as a testbed for the technology, and DS9 followed suit

[...]

Star Trek: Enterprise was exclusively done in CGI for almost all exterior ship shots, as were the movies from "Star Trek: Insurrection" onwards.

In before someone says Enterprise sucks.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Trek guys were, rightly, very wary of using CGI extensively until they were sure they could get it to look good. I think the first fully CGI scene of a bunch of ships flying around was only late into DS9 (i.e. late 90s). But, to be fair, they also had a pretty huge budget and all the experience in the world at that time, and I assume B5 simply didn't.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Sir Lemming posted:

The Trek guys were, rightly, very wary of using CGI extensively until they were sure they could get it to look good. I think the first fully CGI scene of a bunch of ships flying around was only late into DS9 (i.e. late 90s). But, to be fair, they also had a pretty huge budget and all the experience in the world at that time, and I assume B5 simply didn't.

Wasn't Lexx contemporary to Babylon 5? Its CGI AND practical effects are gutter trash, but the underlying sci-fi was compelling enough for me, at least. Never split your production companies between Canadian and German studios when your budget is paid in part with cocaine. I dunno if thats true but it sure would explain a lot.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah, B5 had a small budget, and basically went fully CGI because they would be unable to afford to blowup a bunch of space ships otherwise.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Sekhmnet posted:

Wasn't Lexx contemporary to Babylon 5? Its CGI AND practical effects are gutter trash, but the underlying sci-fi was compelling enough for me, at least. Never split your production companies between Canadian and German studios when your budget is paid in part with cocaine. I dunno if thats true but it sure would explain a lot.

Lexx was very odd. It felt like a late-night Cinemax show that had been edited for television.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PhotoKirk posted:

Lexx was very odd. It felt like a late-night Cinemax show that had been edited for television.

I see it as being more like the cutscenes of an FMV game. That fails every gameplay sequence and takes the bad route at every possible opportunity.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Lexx was a cool premise wasted on a bad sex comedy that had almost no jokes or sex in it. I kinda like the weird aesthetic of it though.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There’s plenty of military flavored sf TV so you have to savor the truly weird and bad where you can get it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

doctorfrog posted:

There’s plenty of military flavored sf TV so you have to savor the truly weird and bad where you can get it.

Someone reboot space above and beyond.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The full CG scenes in Trek were done by Foundation Imaging, i.e. the people who did all the CGI in B5 from the pilot to S4 (I think?) - the intro CGI was by ILM and apparently cost crazy money, they'd not have been able to afford it even with Trek budgets.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sweevo posted:

Lexx was a cool premise wasted on a bad sex comedy that had almost no jokes or sex in it. I kinda like the weird aesthetic of it though.

Every second I watched as a teen was with bated breath to see if it would either turn sexy, funny, or into good sci-fi and it never turned into any.

Great :kstare: energy though. Like really there's loving nothing like it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ookiimarukochan posted:

the intro CGI was by ILM and apparently cost crazy money
I can't parse what intro in which series, but that shot at the end of TNG OP where the warp drive kicks in? It's used a butjillion times? Cost millions to do because it was an optical effect (slit-photography) and they only had like 2 - 3 stock images of it.

It's amazing that B5 did what they did, even if it looked terrible by TNG Modelship standards. Hell, the dumb VR mind washing game from TNG has the same vibe.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I just watched the x files into and it is the most 90s thing ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Every second I watched as a teen was with bated breath to see if it would either turn sexy, funny, or into good sci-fi and it never turned into any.

Great :kstare: energy though. Like really there's loving nothing like it.

you were watching Lexx as a teen, the correct term is “‘bating breath”