Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
My niece is getting an Xbox Series S for Christmas this year. She'll be 11 by that stage. She plays Fortnite on PC, Roblox, that kind of thing. She has a Nintendo Switch that she doesn't really bother with.

Am I right in thinking that the Series S is a perfect Games Pass machine for someone of that age? I doubt she'll care about frame rates and graphical fidelity, and having access to tons of decent games for a monthly fee suits down to the ground instead of trying to build up a library of individually-bought games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
A school age kid who wants to do Fortnite and Roblox and have it look/run better than an iPad is pretty much who the S was made for.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Does anyone have an eero mesh network and do remote play? It seems to start out well and then gradually poo poo the bed until it kicks you out. Trying to see if it's usable on a windows 10 laptop.

I'm gonna pick up an Ethernet cable to plug in my Xbox to see if that helps it, that's definitely step one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A lot of companies (mine included) got a real bug up their knickers due to Apple that lower budget products were more desireable than premium electronics without really thinking it through in my opinion.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

External Organs posted:

Does anyone have an eero mesh network and do remote play? It seems to start out well and then gradually poo poo the bed until it kicks you out. Trying to see if it's usable on a windows 10 laptop.

I have an eero network and haven't had any major issues streaming to my phone both locally and remotely. Sometimes the audio is messed up but reconnecting usually fixes it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Zerot posted:

I have an eero network and haven't had any major issues streaming to my phone both locally and remotely. Sometimes the audio is messed up but reconnecting usually fixes it.
iOS or Android?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

adhuin posted:

Anyone else tested the Xcloud for pc?

I tried it today and I can't get it to work properly.
Xbox app connects to my XSX perfectly fine, but framerates are bad.
1 frame per second on menus level of bad.
I tried to start Psychonauts 2 and Trials rising and you couldn't even identify what game I was 'playing',
unless I paused the game to let it settle down with one screen.
Yeah and it worked fine. Are you on wifi or wired?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

External Organs posted:

iOS or Android?

iOS.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I also have to assume that series s sales predictions are based on sales of the other low price skus like 360 Arcade and xbox one sad. Though I don't know if those were actually lower power, too, though. I think 360 Arcade was just a regular 360 without a HDD.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Finster Dexter posted:

I also have to assume that series s sales predictions are based on sales of the other low price skus like 360 Arcade and xbox one sad. Though I don't know if those were actually lower power, too, though. I think 360 Arcade was just a regular 360 without a HDD.

Yeah it was. The 360 on my desk at home is an Arcade I put a 250 gig HDD on. No power differential. Also no built in wifi but that's true of all them launch-shape 360s.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My niece is getting an Xbox Series S for Christmas this year. She'll be 11 by that stage. She plays Fortnite on PC, Roblox, that kind of thing. She has a Nintendo Switch that she doesn't really bother with.

Am I right in thinking that the Series S is a perfect Games Pass machine for someone of that age? I doubt she'll care about frame rates and graphical fidelity, and having access to tons of decent games for a monthly fee suits down to the ground instead of trying to build up a library of individually-bought games?

it's a perfect game pass machine for any age

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Could they have been striving for that coveted "outside the race" second/third machine space? Like how everybody had a PS3 or 360 AND a wii, or how everybody had a PS4 AND a switch.

Lots of people are going to buy a PS5; more than a Series X, and certainly more than a PS5 AND a Series X. But how many people will buy a PS5... and then a Series S as a cheap GamePass machine?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

If I didn't already have a PC then I'd probably be open to a Series S just for game pass. If it had a disc drive so I could play my old 360 games then I'd be actively considering it.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Seems to me the Series S is the "first hits free" for the gamepass ecosystem

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The series S being digital only is a huge strike. Kids mostly get physical games on sale unless it's Christmas. Sony and MS splitting up production is dumb to me unless it doesn't work like that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RBX posted:

The series S being digital only is a huge strike.

Agree

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah, I definitely buy my kids the physical version of uhh... Rocket League and Roblox for Christmas.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

One of the biggest reasons I still wanted to upgrade to an X after I got my S was the lack of disc drive, not so much for games but because I wanted to watch 4K UHD movies.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Game pass games don't come on disc

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

RBX posted:

The series S being digital only is a huge strike. Kids mostly get physical games on sale unless it's Christmas. Sony and MS splitting up production is dumb to me unless it doesn't work like that.

There's digital game sales every week and larger ones every quarter.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Evil Badman posted:

There's digital game sales every week and larger ones every quarter.

You're not wrong but tell that to the people buying them, not receiving them. Uncle Mark who hasn't a clue about anything electronic can understand a DVD that plays a game instead. This is a bit more abstract.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Coming from loving the switch e shop the series S doesn't bother me at all.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

I guess I don't know anymore. I really thought the lack of a disc drive would hurt the S, but all my nephews are asking for Google Play, Microsoft, and PS cards for Christmas for the past few years so they can buy games/items etc. So maybe the whole relative buying a disc thing isn't that common anymore? These kids live in rural Illinois too, so it's not like they are in the Bay Area or something.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'd say physical buyers probably skew older overall. Like personally I'm fine with $20 stuff like Hades and Hollow Knight being digital but I feel pretty weird about spending $60 on a digital purchase. If I'm getting a big AAA-style game I usually like to buy physical.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m the same. At least I can trade it in or give it to a friend afterward.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Owning physical is for OLDs who still have this illusion that you can own media and are still bitter about overpriced DLC.

The kids need hard digital currency so they can buy branded funbux to exchange for rude dances and cyber rainbow horse armor.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I just can't be bothered anymore getting up and switching discs.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I buy physical because I like having a collection and because I usually sell my old console when upgrading and include games I didn’t like and thus get a bit of a return. I was pretty annoyed when I learned Diablo 2 doesn’t have a physical edition since I wanted to buy it used and not give Blizzard money. All of these are adult concerns.

Douche4Sale posted:

I guess I don't know anymore. I really thought the lack of a disc drive would hurt the S, but all my nephews are asking for Google Play, Microsoft, and PS cards for Christmas for the past few years so they can buy games/items etc. So maybe the whole relative buying a disc thing isn't that common anymore? These kids live in rural Illinois too, so it's not like they are in the Bay Area or something.

My kid is too young but this is my experience with younger relatives. They want gift cards to digitally buy their own stuff. Saves them the confusion and potential embarrassment of explaining game titles to old people. Or they buy dlc, dumb cosmetics, etc.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's easier to trade gift cards at school for vape juice and cyber drugs.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
There was that time some kid threw a tantrum in my store because we have a hard limit of $500 per person per day of a single type of gift card ($200 for steam). Apparently the kid had just gotten banned from fortnite and his mom gave him a stack of hundreds to get some V-Bucks to buy his skins back. I weep for the future...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shoulda told him to come back next shift !!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'd already been buying lots of games on Steam and the very nature of that platform is digital-only, so by the time the PS4 and XB1 came around I didn't really mind saying goodbye to physical formats.

I have a few PS4 disc games but all my Switch and XB1 games are digital. They're generally cheaper (for me, anyway) than trying to score physical deals.

It'd be nice if the Series S hardware refresh includes a disc drive but I don't see it happening.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ErrEff posted:

It'd be nice if the Series S hardware refresh includes a disc drive but I don't see it happening.

Not a hope

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ErrEff posted:

TBH a diskless X is more likely than an S with a disk drive. The next hardware refresh is probably gonna be something like an X approximately the size and cost of a current S with no disk drive plus a higher-end model roughly along the same price/size lines as the current X but with something specifically targeted at supporting VR better and probably with a disk drive just so people throw less of a shitfit.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Posted in the halo thread too, apologies if spammy but everyone on xbox can play halo this weekend

https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1442581044000141312

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

doingitwrong posted:

Owning physical is for OLDs who still have this illusion that you can own media and are still bitter about overpriced DLC.

The kids need hard digital currency so they can buy branded funbux to exchange for rude dances and cyber rainbow horse armor.

The outrage over horse armor does seems quaint in retrospect.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If it's a single player game I'll normally get the physical edition. If it's multiplayer or something I expect will dramatically change with patches down the line, I'll get digital. I buy most Switch games physically since the patches don't usually change much, maybe some bug fixes, but they're rarely the type of games that have 50gb day one patches. With Xbox I've picked up a ton of physical games really cheap but I'm skewing towards buying Series X games digitally. A disc version of Microsoft Flight Simulator seems pointless to me. I'll probably get Halo Infinite digitally.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

… why would you get halo infinite at all when it’ll be on gamepass

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't use the Xbox enough to keep an active GamePass subscription, only ever subbing whenever Microsoft does those 3 months for $1 deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh yeah me neither but the multiplayer is gonna be free anyway so you could always sub for a month to play the campaign