Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Doom -Thatcher's Techbase. What? You know it counts.

If we're talking Doom user made levels, then my vote is either for Rocket Zone II or Go gently caress Yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I have a soft spot for Dark Carnival.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Thief - Down in the Bonehoard - Spooky, atmospheric, tomb raiding, avoiding zombies and solving puzzles just to pay rent. Ace.

Deus Ex - Area 51 - What a loving climax. After creating a cure for the plague you nuke Area 51 as a second to last gently caress you to the villain before descending into his evil lair. He taunts you the whole time as you get closer and closer to causing a complete collapse of his power base until the end, where he's begging you to stop and promising you an entire continent to rule if you let him live.

Half-Life 2 - Nova Prospekt - The whole feel of the game shifts here. Up until this point it feels like you were on the run, surviving by the skin of your teeth. Once you hit the prison you're taking the fight to the Combine culminating in sparking a straight up rebellion. Great stuff.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tim Thomas posted:

i haven't had a lot of time to actually play games of late so i've been thinking about them instead

one thing that i've been thinking through is what are the greatest five FPS levels of all time, and i think i've come up with a pretty good selection

Wolf3D: E1M1
Doom: E1M1
HL: Surface Tension
Q1: Ziggurat Vertigo
Hitman Blood Money: A New Life (you can turn on FPS mode so this counts, dammit)

please pick this apart and tell me why the lack of Facing Worlds means that i am scum

In addition to those already named,

Titanfall 2: Effect and Cause. Press L1 to Time Travel.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/SuppliceGame/status/1441845685020606466

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I love Titanfall 2 - Into the Abyss, it has great setpieces too. Hell, I'd say that Titanfall 2 has my favourite SP in the last decade. It's short but leaves you wanting more and has really high quality.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Looks like Lh’owon

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

skasion posted:

Looks like Lh’owon

I had to google up that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sounds like it too

Weedle
May 31, 2006

golly titanfall 2's campaign was insanely good. that one titan gun with the target painting rounds and the missiles. THOONK THOONK THOONK FWOOOOOOSHHHHHH BLAMMO :discourse:

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Tim Thomas posted:

greatest FPS levels of all time

De_dust.
2Fort.
Q3DM17.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm sure you meant de_dust2

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

cs_office :getin:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Tim Thomas posted:

i haven't had a lot of time to actually play games of late so i've been thinking about them instead

one thing that i've been thinking through is what are the greatest five FPS levels of all time, and i think i've come up with a pretty good selection

Wolf3D: E1M1
Doom: E1M1
HL: Surface Tension
Q1: Ziggurat Vertigo
Hitman Blood Money: A New Life (you can turn on FPS mode so this counts, dammit)

please pick this apart and tell me why the lack of Facing Worlds means that i am scum

Shalebridge Cradle
Fort Frolic
Phantom Express
Hollywood Holocaust
Surface Tension

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm sure you meant de_dust2

I did not but I should have. Dust is better imo but there aren't a million people playing it to this day to warm up so good call.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

david_a posted:

I really want to put Unreal in there but I don’t know. It has a ton of memorable set pieces, but based on your selection I think map 2 NyLeve’s Falls would be the leading candidate. It’s when you emerge from the ship in a swell of rad tracker music and take in the jaw dropping (for 1998) colorful scenery. It made quite an impression for anyone lucky to have a 3D accelerator back then. The gameplay of that map is fairly unremarkable, however.

If I had to pick an Unreal level it would probably be one of the big destination setpiece levels like Bluff Eversmoking or the town at the top of the Sunspire whose name I don't remember or the castle from the main menu (which shows up in playable form late in the game).

Barudak posted:

the section called "What the ladies like" in Halo 2

Fun fact- the name of this section changes depending on what difficulty you're playing on

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

haveblue posted:

Fun fact- the name of this section changes depending on what difficulty you're playing on
There's a different Johnson spiel at the start for every difficulty, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3zXyuFQ-oc&t=12s

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

caleb posted:

De_dust.
2Fort.
Q3DM17.

No Facing Worlds?

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

No Facing Worlds?

He said 2fort, which came first, you don’t need space two fort, now with more snipers instead. Deck was the better UT map anyways.

Probably throw Blood Gultch and it’s various interactions.

CoD Nuketown is pretty iconic as well. Although it seems like everyone’s shifted to grinding out on shipment which is a mess.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

E2M6 Erebus Reactor.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Red Light District is just as good as the first level.

edit I also didn't like the suburbia level in blood money, I thought the steamboat level was much better

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

The Kins posted:

There's a different Johnson spiel at the start for every difficulty, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3zXyuFQ-oc&t=12s

Johnson's opening spiel in Halo 1 is also :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBDT0tgzzBk

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I never cared for the dusts they wouldn't even be in my top 5 for CS and I played a stupid amount in high school. Though they are more well balanced then the levels I loved so they do have that.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So I signed up on that Zoom Platform thing and they just dumped a bunch of Majesco games on me for free including Killing Time, is that any good?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Nuketown is a fantastic map to play against friends and in a low number (something like 3v3 or 4v4 max) without high killstreak rewards. I don't normally praise CoD maps but I had a lot of fun and allows for practically any kind of weapon to be viable.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Guillermus posted:

I love Titanfall 2 - Into the Abyss, it has great setpieces too. Hell, I'd say that Titanfall 2 has my favourite SP in the last decade. It's short but leaves you wanting more and has really high quality.

Yeah, every part of Titanfall 2 could be the best part of another game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My favorite part of Titanfall 2 was the level inside the giant subdivision fabricator. Excellent use of player mobility and working in green space into a factory zone. Just great design.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Guillermus posted:

Nuketown is a fantastic map to play against friends and in a low number (something like 3v3 or 4v4 max) without high killstreak rewards. I don't normally praise CoD maps but I had a lot of fun and allows for practically any kind of weapon to be viable.

The original Nuketown from BO1 was the best version. The spawns got pretty bad in BO2 and Treyarch just made it worse from there. They started changing its sight lines with subsequent games and it hurt the flow of the map.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Barudak posted:

My favorite part of Titanfall 2 was the level inside the giant subdivision fabricator. Excellent use of player mobility and working in green space into a factory zone. Just great design.

is that the one where you're climbing around all the structures mounted on the "ground" perpendicular to gravity? because that did indeed own

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Weedle posted:

is that the one where you're climbing around all the structures mounted on the "ground" perpendicular to gravity? because that did indeed own

Yes, thats the level Im talking about. Its extra great because the boss arena for that level is the thing you've been clamboring over all level's finished and ready to ship form.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

treat posted:

do tell :allears:
Grab the radsuit at the other end of the map and run like hell. If you do some nice jumping the suit will expire just as the cage hits the bottom of the water and the rest of the ride takes a hair under the 12 seconds it takes before ranger takes drowning damage. It's an annoying run because there's lots of steps or sections where you can bash your head and stop dead along the route. Easy to overshoot the railings too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGCGpD65FCk

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Dieting Hippo posted:

Johnson's opening spiel in Halo 1 is also :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBDT0tgzzBk

drat those anniversary graphics are ugly as hell lol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

H1 remake looks loving awful, especially compared to H2 remake

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

You can also switch between old and new Halo graphics at any time, who gives a poo poo?

(The biggest bullshit is that local splitscreen with the new graphics knocks it down to 30fps)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

You can also switch between old and new Halo graphics at any time, who gives a poo poo?

The old graphics were also butchered in the port and looked terrible for literal years after release. It was only in the last twelve months that they finished unfucking them

CEA was a truly terrible port of one of the most influential FPS games of its decade, and it’s the only port we’re likely to get for at least another console generation, so yeah, I give a poo poo about that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think it was only in the last few months they finally fixed the lighting. Like some time in 2021

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Still no plans to add split-screen to the PC version :(

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think it was only in the last few months they finally fixed the lighting. Like some time in 2021

Gearbox's total beefing of the orignal Halo PC port sure did have a long term impact

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

skasion posted:

The old graphics were also butchered in the port and looked terrible for literal years after release. It was only in the last twelve months that they finished unfucking them

CEA was a truly terrible port of one of the most influential FPS games of its decade, and it’s the only port we’re likely to get for at least another console generation, so yeah, I give a poo poo about that.

Where were they butchered? (This is the first I'm hearing about it, I'm not calling BS I'm just legit curious)

Also are we both talking about the MCC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ControlV
Mar 8, 2019
Duke 3D: Flood Zone. I thought it was the coolest thing ever at age 10 and my enthusiasm has not waned.