Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Also he's a badass cowled space wizard with an army of skull armor soldiers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

we should keep the rich out of the public libraries they don't need to use, we'd save money that way somehow I guess I dunno maybe

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

its important to establish a byzantine set of requirements between a dozen different agencies, otherwise a few dozen rich people's failsons might also enjoy the same thing hundreds of millions of other people enjoy

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

we should start charging anyone who makes over the poverty line for public school, that way donald trump would have to pay to send his (grown) children to kindergarten, no I can't think of any other possible downsides and I don't care to

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

this loving sucks man

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

i think it’d be cool if the dems did good things someday

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

i think it’d be cool if the dems did good things someday

More money for them, gently caress you!!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

What's that? The USA already has means-tested healthcare, called Medicaid? Whew, glad our healthcare system is all figured out now and has no issues then

what, are we gonna pay for Donald Trump's kids to get their wisdom teeth out? :rolleyes: I think not

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
you know what the best part is about not raising taxes on the wealthy so we don't have to means test every social program?

the smiles it puts on the faces of Raytheon shareholders

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Means testing is good, because if rich people also directly benefited from policies that helped poor people then they might support those policies

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/1442584521602383874?s=20

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

1stGear posted:

On one hand, LBJ has a complex legacy that makes simple assessments of his presidency impossible. On the other hand, kinda wish we had a president who swung his massive hog at Congress until they passed whatever he told them to pass.

The modern democrats would be unable to pass Civil Rights even if they wanted to, and I doubt they would. 'Doing things' is no longer a real goal of government, unless the things are giving money to rich people.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Modern dems wouldn't (or don't) give a poo poo about civil rights unless it would seriously disrupt business operations or the stock market. Gay rights got passed despite their lukewarm at best support for them and again, only because it didn't really disrupt the money

If (or when, at this point, lol) the Civil Rights Act gets struck down Pelosi will put on her best concerned face while the feds drag everyone who doesn't pass the paper bag test out of the capitol behind her

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Giving money to rich people was always the goal.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i would like to get daycare subsidies please mister biden sir

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I'm still laughing about Pelosi making AOC cry. Democrats really get it done

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

lobster shirt posted:

you greedy piece of poo poo

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

sorry i think you'll find that since you make more than $20 per year you are ineligible

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

Modern dems wouldn't (or don't) give a poo poo about civil rights unless it would seriously disrupt business operations or the stock market. Gay rights got passed despite their lukewarm at best support for them and again, only because it didn't really disrupt the money

If (or when, at this point, lol) the Civil Rights Act gets struck down Pelosi will put on her best concerned face while the feds drag everyone who doesn't pass the paper bag test out of the capitol behind her

They didn't even pass gay marriage. They mostly opposed it until the wizard council changed the law for them and they took credit for it afterward

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

I'm sure there won't be any voters pissed off that their community college was means tested when they were promised free, easy sailing in 22!!!

You know, if I thought a politician or group of them had great ideas, and promised a lot of things I was into, were then elected into office, and failed to deliver on any of it, I'd be pretty upset about it

Kinda weird for libs to keep defending people who failed to execute on any of the reasons they ostensibly voted for them for

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

You really want the lowliest plebeian to have to pay to save Crassus's home from fire?

Obviously the system where only those who need fire service pay for fire service is fairer to the poor, rather than force them all to pay for fire service they never need.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

They didn't even pass gay marriage. They mostly opposed it until the wizard council changed the law for them and they took credit for it afterward

The Obama administration declined to present a case in defense of DOMA. Thats it. Thats how the feds supported gay marriage. Simple inaction.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Blockade posted:

Kinda weird for libs to keep defending people who failed to execute on any of the reasons they ostensibly voted for them for
there was a cheeto in the white house!!!

navigation
Sep 30, 2009
means testing is such a perfect tool for democrats since it allows the PR marketing to work (which is the only part that matters to them) but does not cause the danger of the program becoming too popular and thus perhaps making people ask for those kinds of things in the future.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

:haibrow:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cloaked posted:

means testing is such a perfect tool for democrats since it allows the PR marketing to work (which is the only part that matters to them) but does not cause the danger of the program becoming too popular and thus perhaps making people ask for those kinds of things in the future.

It also creates a bunch of pointless overpaid pencil pushing jobs for them to reward their nieces and nephews with

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
ha
has anyone pointed out that the beuracracy behind means testing always costs more than the amount the yend up saving?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

ha

has anyone pointed out that the beuracracy behind means testing always costs more than the amount the yend up saving?

just solve that with application fees, easy peasy

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sir Tonk posted:

ha

well, to be fair, the republicans already beat them in a lot of places to drug testing for welfare recipients -- it doesn't matter if it actually saves money, because the idea is to not only look like you're cost-conscious but to pad the bank accounts of your failson piece of poo poo grifter friends who might want to run for office some day.

gently caress you once again, renee hoyos.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

he's just the dumbest mother fucker

https://twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/1442582411594788865

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

lol Biden voted yea on DOMA in '96. That shitbag only supported gay marriage when his daughter came out and it suddenly affected his family

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

I'm sure this dumb piece of poo poo has murmured "a nice problem to have" at some point in his worthless life - someone should remind him the phrase exists.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I'm sure this dumb piece of poo poo has murmured "a nice problem to have" at some point in his worthless life - someone should remind him the phrase exists.

again, these people need to be beaten until they yell on account of how much their paycheck depends on being so loving ignorant

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ok, who the gently caress is this guy? He keeps popping up on my twitter feed and I have no idea who he is

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

my parents could have sent i rutherford pennyfarthing von moneybags XVI to Harvard but then heard the local community college was free

now where will i schmooze with other wealthy psychos

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

its also very demonstrably not an actual "problem" unless you're making a series of stunningly stupid bad faith assumptions about how the tax system is structured and wealth is distributed

like imagine all wealth over ~$5m (inflation adjusted) was effectively expropriated and evenly redistributed - was the wealth destroyed, and (putting aside MMT arguments) does society lack an adequate tax base for the government to do things?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol that this was actually what hillary said

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nix Panicus posted:

Ok, who the gently caress is this guy? He keeps popping up on my twitter feed and I have no idea who he is

that's chappy

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress (and i cannot stress this enough) the democratic party and all who continue to support them in TYOOL 2021

:d2a:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
hell yeah, just got my "make sure your info is up to date so you can start paying your student loans again in Feb" email :dance:

thanks, uncle joe!