Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Back Hack posted:

Where is my update?

Today is September 26th. The update is coming October 26th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Peewi posted:

Today is September 26th. The update is coming October 26th.

I dumb. :downs:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Just underclocked. We'll get there.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So the game was only rendering at 1440p instead of 4K because of the 150% scaling option in Windows. With an application override, it now renders at 4K natively. That and another 150W at the socket. CPU bound as gently caress I guess, if there was still that headroom on the GPU.

They should enable DLSS, since it's an option in the upcoming upgrade to Unreal 4.26. Stops my computer from being a room heater for no reason.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

So the game was only rendering at 1440p instead of 4K because of the 150% scaling option in Windows. With an application override, it now renders at 4K natively. That and another 150W at the socket. CPU bound as gently caress I guess, if there was still that headroom on the GPU.

They should enable DLSS, since it's an option in the upcoming upgrade to Unreal 4.26. Stops my computer from being a room heater for no reason.

They've mentioned that they're looking into DLSS but it isn't a priority and may just not be implemented at all as the CPU is the main constraint for this game and DLSS doesn't really help with that.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Combat Pretzel posted:

They've spoken about implementing it before, I think they ignored it at the time because they were planning on updating the version of Unreal Engine and didn't want to waste time on something that might break with that update. A lot of people have suggested it to them, it's probably more of a priority now that the engine update is done.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

chestnut santabag posted:

They've mentioned that they're looking into DLSS but it isn't a priority and may just not be implemented at all as the CPU is the main constraint for this game and DLSS doesn't really help with that.

Jace mentioned on one of the recent videos that the new version of UE supports it, but they don’t have a test lab, presumably with RTX cards. He also mentioned that most people with a system that supports RTX are already CPU bound, so it may never be turned on for the public.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I have a dilemma.

I don't need these coal to power my generators so they're completely available for steel production. I suspect steel is going to become a very large part of my production process so I have a feeling I'll want as much coal as I can get my hands on. There's also three pure iron nodes down the cliff, so I could just build my steel production area way over here...I haven't tried automating trucks yet, but I could probably smelt steel ingots over here and then send them by truck to my main storage/production area, assuming that's not a super annoying process to set up. What sounds like the smartest option? I don't really want to run conveyors that far if I can help it.

There also seems to be three limestone nodes over here too but I think they're normal. That might be useful for later on as well? I can always just eventually turn this into a full scale steel operation and just ship finished products over, I'm guessing steel becomes a new primary ingredient for a bunch of poo poo.

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 27, 2021

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

If you want to Play The Game, truck/train over the ingots.

If you want to Get Stuff Done, just use conveyor belts.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Do your smelting on site and move the ingots. It condenses two ingredients into one material, and puts the major shipping step before that material splits up into beams and pipes.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Jace mentioned on one of the recent videos that the new version of UE supports it, but they don’t have a test lab, presumably with RTX cards. He also mentioned that most people with a system that supports RTX are already CPU bound, so it may never be turned on for the public.
In a lot of cases, DLSS can also deliver better antialiasing than TAA by itself. So there's that, too.

NVIDIA's apparently also finally allowing DLSS to do its thing at native resolution instead of subsampled frames. For some reason they gave it a new name. DLAA. loving marketing.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
That makes sense. How good/bad is the truck AI? Do I need to build like a foundation road/ramp or can I just drive it and it'll copy that drive exactly? I can't have any weird fluctuations gently caress up my pipeline :argh:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Thumbtacks posted:

That makes sense. How good/bad is the truck AI? Do I need to build like a foundation road/ramp or can I just drive it and it'll copy that drive exactly? I can't have any weird fluctuations gently caress up my pipeline :argh:

You want to look for ‘natural’ paths to lay your routes along, and your tractors will be pretty reliable. Occasionally one hears about a vehicle launching itself into space or falling through the map, but I don’t think anyone has posted about it for some time really.

Also the next update, which is coming out to Experimental not today, but one month from now, has some very interesting and promising further improvements, especially for collision recovery.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Speaking from personal experience I really would not bother with trucks until the next update. Maybe you'll have better luck, but it could also turn out to be a big buggy waste of time.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
They’re also changing the truck stop building so you’ll have at least partially re-work it in a month anyway.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Trains rule but they're still frustrating sometimes, even with no collisions. Pathing limitations (when it comes to figuring out certain types of interchanges to turn around), inability to set custom routes (just because it would look better for trains to bypass certain stops sometimes even if it took slightly longer) and the buggy behavior of switches (where trains running near each other can get switched onto the wrong track, and then end up being stuck there until you move the train and reload the game).

I hope they add a lot more train related features before they enable collisions (if that ever happens)

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I am pleased to report that my tractor is working beautifully, and I'm sad I can't name it. I am producing steel at a, quite frankly, alarming rate, and I found a hard drive that lets me bypass metal rods to make screws. which is nice but i don't want to redesign my RIP setup, hopefully i can transition to entirely steel at some point with alternate recipes. Hyper tubes tomorrow. :getin: :science:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

In other factory games (factorio is where I encountered this idea, and also factory games), one of the ease-of-expansion techniques is to do “BUNCH of conveyors next to each other” down a large corridor, and have production drawing materials off to one or both sides, to output them either onto a new bus lane or into holding chests. The chests, collectively, form the “mall,” another term we use on this thread to describe an easy-access holding area with storages for all the parts needed to build more factory.

Satisfactory really isn’t a bus-type game, unless you’re talking about a conveyor stack which carries belts on belts on belts of ingots. I do tend to develop pretty tall conveyor stacks in areas which get extra builds added on to them, since all the finished products, or an overflow feed of them, are going to be heading over either to a shipping area or the mall, and it’s nice and easy to add an extra stacker pole to something which already has clearance, but they’re not really buses as such.

They’re actually kind of the opposite since one of the main ideas of a bus is to make a top-down 2D Factorio factory look cleaner and be easier to read the logic of without notes, and my approach is vertical spaghetti.

A bus works in Factorio because it's really easy to lay down a ton of belts and to split off from those (especially with the new belt drawing mode that automatically places undergrounds).
Doing the same thing in Satisfactory requires a million clicks and messing with smart splitters, which are midgame items (in Factorio, the basic splitters you get right at the start of the game can already do output priorities).
And then, when you do make it work, every new production line you add will spend a while completely draining the bus until it has filled up its huge internal buffers.

It's possible, but neither efficient nor fun.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Thumbtacks posted:

I am pleased to report that my tractor is working beautifully, and I'm sad I can't name it. I am producing steel at a, quite frankly, alarming rate, and I found a hard drive that lets me bypass metal rods to make screws. which is nice but i don't want to redesign my RIP setup, hopefully i can transition to entirely steel at some point with alternate recipes. Hyper tubes tomorrow. :getin: :science:

I'd say you should look at redesigning your old setups once you get Mk2 Miners and better belts, since you're going to have to rework your resource nodes anyways to take advantage of the faster mining rate.

e: Also, make sure you get started on a Steel Beam stockpile, as Mk 3 belts are the best you'll have until you finish your next Space Elevator phase, and that takes ages, so you'll be using a bunch of Mk 3s.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 27, 2021

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Does anyone ever use MK2 belts for anything but short spans between a miner and a splitter? MK3 is so much better and feels cheaper resource-wise.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The only thing I use mk2 belts for is the assembly to build mk3 belts.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

boxen posted:

Just underclocked. We'll get there.

Satisfactory: You're not dumb, just underclocked.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Some tips for power.

I discovered you can build coal power plants underwater so as to avoid needing pumps.

And once you get batteries - you can seriously mitigate power outages in the early mid game. Giving you time to explore-build up.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Any advice from someone who's built at large scale before?

For the past few weeks, after playing 200 hours without touching nuclear, I've been working on a series of factories that will eventually support production of 50.4 uranium rods/min and 22.4 plutonium rods/min. I've made multiple smaller non-nuclear factories that produce individual components that will be ultimately needed - one for oil products, one for iron/steel products, one for quartz/silica, two each for nitric acid and aluminum. Last factory I need before I start putting it all together is a caterium/copper factory or factories that focus on quickwire production. I've been designing all of these factories with drone transportation in mind.

Problem. The logistics of moving 11280 quickwire/min across the map. 6300/min will ultimately go directly into the nuclear components and the rest, about 5000/min, is going into the non-nuclear components.

Options:
Drones. I've considered drone transportation for moving all of this quickwire - drones are very efficient at moving large stack sizes - but it would still take around 30 separate drone ports (15 on each end) to move that much wire. Main limitation appears to be the belt speed that can feed the drone port.

Trains. I have some limited experience running trains in this game. Trains seem like they can be scaled up to handle these sorts of quantities pretty efficiently. But I don't know yet how to effectively measure throughput on trains - how many cars I'd need to pull, etc. It seems a little painful to redesign train stations to add cars if I get it wrong. I'm also not sure how much power savings it would be over the drone option.

Belts Last option but perhaps most obvious is conveyering 15 full belts of quickwire halfway across the map. I'm not strictly opposed to this option, but it seems inelegant, and, from what I'm reading, like a potential source of game performance issues. Would save massively on power consumption, though.

I'm also considering the possibility of just moving the cat/copper ingots instead and making the wire where it's needed, but that only cuts the amount I'd need to move by half.

Cracker King posted:

I discovered you can build coal power plants underwater so as to avoid needing pumps.

These are the kinds of tips I read this thread for.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Cracker King posted:

:psyduck:

I mean, I always just built around the surface level of the water, but that's hilarious.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Unponderable posted:

For the past few weeks, after playing 200 hours without touching nuclear, I've been working on a series of factories that will eventually support production of 50.4 uranium rods/min and 22.4 plutonium rods/min. I've made multiple smaller non-nuclear factories that produce individual components that will be ultimately needed - one for oil products, one for iron/steel products, one for quartz/silica, two each for nitric acid and aluminum. Last factory I need before I start putting it all together is a caterium/copper factory or factories that focus on quickwire production. I've been designing all of these factories with drone transportation in mind.

#1, are you really sure you want to make 50 nuke rods per minute? One rod/m is 5 reactors, so 50 rods/m will fuel 250 reactors, worth 625,000 megawatts of power. And that's if you're sinking the plutonium for zero waste.

Unponderable posted:

Problem. The logistics of moving 11280 quickwire/min across the map. 6300/min will ultimately go directly into the nuclear components and the rest, about 5000/min, is going into the non-nuclear components.

Options:
Drones.
Trains.
Belts

I'm also considering the possibility of just moving the cat/copper ingots instead and making the wire where it's needed, but that only cuts the amount I'd need to move by half.

#2, drones are right out. Drones are no good for high volume transport.The maximum throughput a drone port can sustain is slightly more than 1 stack per minute -- the land/takeoff cycle for one drone takes 51 seconds, and only one drone can be doing it per drone port. So you would need ~23 drone ports at either end to meet your needed throughput. That's silly.

Trains OTOH would handle this easily, and are not difficult to figure out the approximate needs in advance. Each train can has 32 stack slots on it. You need ~23 stacks per minute.
number of cars = round trip time * 23/32
So build your track first, and plop 2 temporary stations in the area of where your stops will be. Then you can send a train around the loop on autopilot and time it. Add 50 seconds to that time, since the loading/unloading takes 25 seconds and your timing train is just stopping at the stations without that.

A train loop across a significant part of the map can take 10-12 minutes. So you may be looking at a moderately hefty train to carry all that wire, but still that's just 2 engines and 8 cars. Massively less power than the drones, and running rails is way faster than conveyor. (Or you can have 2 trains running at the same time, but be aware that they can drift out of sync over long term operation.)

So the #3 thing to consider is putting the factory section that needs all the quickwire locally at your quickwire factory. Dunno how that would work with your overall plan, but if everything else is fairly low in material throughput by comparison it might be easier.

If you're using the fused quickwire recipe, the quickwire is actually more dense than the ingots. 6 stacks (600) of caterium & copper ingots makes just 2 and a halfish stacks (1200) of quickwire, so the quickwire is your preferred product for transport.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Unponderable posted:

If you are morally flexible, there is a mod called something like Item Teleporter that works like a champ for instantly transporting any beltable item anywhere you want (doesn't work on liquids or gas).

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Unponderable posted:

If you look back on page 134 it will show my 180GW nuclear plant with no waste which was the most complicated thing I've built in my 1000+ hours of play time. You're looking to make something 3.5 times that size as your first nuclear project. Not saying you can't do it, but know that what you're getting into is something people would usually do for its own sake if they've beat the game several times and run out of things to do. 625GW is way more power than you'll ever need if your long-term goal is more common objectives like finishing the space elevator deliveries or getting all the trophies.

What Kylith said holds, though I would say that drones could have a spot in the production line but not for lower-level stuff like quickwire. If you use them at all, it's best to have them bringing in low-yield items like high speed connectors from dedicated factories elsewhere in the world so you don't have everything all being made in the same spot. If you try to do everything on site from the basics to the nuclear rod production you'll likely run into the megafactory issue where there' so much stuff in one location that the lag makes things unplayable.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Cracker King posted:

This changes everything

How underwater do they have to be? Entirely or just the pipe input?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GotLag posted:

This changes everything

How underwater do they have to be? Entirely or just the pipe input?

I'm pretty sure you still need to hook them up to water with pipes and extractors, it's just you can negate and flow issues by having the coal plant's pipe input be below your water extractor.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I just checked, you still need a pipe and extractor and stuff. Much less cooler than I had hoped.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My wish list for update 5 is to let me automate medical inhaler recipes

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

I'm pretty sure you still need to hook them up to water with pipes and extractors, it's just you can negate and flow issues by having the coal plant's pipe input be below your water extractor.

You get 10m of lift (or something like that) by default from the water extractor so you don't need pumps at all unless you're going up a cliff or something. I just pave over whatever body of water I'm using and put the extractors right next to the coal plant.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gadzuko posted:

You get 10m of lift (or something like that) by default from the water extractor so you don't need pumps at all unless you're going up a cliff or something. I just pave over whatever body of water I'm using and put the extractors right next to the coal plant.
Same, but I'm sure there's some spots on the map that it's trickier to get stuff at water level or close enouhg. But those spots also probably dont have enough room to build the plants in the water, either.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

If you look back on page 134 it will show my 180GW nuclear plant with no waste which was the most complicated thing I've built in my 1000+ hours of play time. You're looking to make something 3.5 times that size as your first nuclear project. Not saying you can't do it, but know that what you're getting into is something people would usually do for its own sake if they've beat the game several times and run out of things to do. 625GW is way more power than you'll ever need if your long-term goal is more common objectives like finishing the space elevator deliveries or getting all the trophies.

What Kylith said holds, though I would say that drones could have a spot in the production line but not for lower-level stuff like quickwire. If you use them at all, it's best to have them bringing in low-yield items like high speed connectors from dedicated factories elsewhere in the world so you don't have everything all being made in the same spot. If you try to do everything on site from the basics to the nuclear rod production you'll likely run into the megafactory issue where there' so much stuff in one location that the lag makes things unplayable.

Yeah I've already "beaten" the game, 200 hours in, save the final space delivery for the coffee cup. I won't recommend trying what I'm doing at less than endgame. Setting it all up is my goal for the moment, and I'm probably over halfway there. I was pretty put off when I first plugged the rods into Satisfactory Tools, trying to make sense of the web of components, but the whole process can be broken up into smaller, more manageable and visualizable pieces with a little thought and effort. This image on the wiki has been my roadmap. Maybe I'll share how I broke it down after I'm done.

I'm not even sure if I want to end up making that many fuel rods in the end - I'm just seeing if I can get all the necessary components assembled, and I might end up diverting excess components to finishing the final space elevator delivery first.

I've found drones to be completely adequate for moving everything up until quickwire, as I need to move an order of magnitude more quickwire than anything else I've had to make. Next closest has been the just under 3k steel ingots/min I needed, but I'm turning them into pipes and beams in the same location. Next, next closest is silica, but that's being made in three different locations on the map. On the sending side, one drone port can easily support up to the belt speed limit of 780/minute since it can service multiple drones. Receiving side may need 1-3 ports per sending port, depending on distance and stack size. I haven't needed more than two receiving ports per sending port so far. I've got battery production at 240/min for the sole purpose of supporting a drone legion anyway, which I figure probably means up to 100 drones.

I will have this problem again on a lesser scale when I get the point where I need to figure out how to move 3.1k sulfur/min and the 2.1k uranium ore/min, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up using drones to move at least the uranium. Sulfur will depend on where I end up putting the nuclear production line.

My other limiting factor until I get some reactors online will be that I'm going to start butting against my turbofuel-powered grid limit. Once built, if all of these factories are running at full capacity, it'll probably be about 50 GW consumption total, which is also roughly my current grid capacity. But right now I'm only sinking excess items that come out of my refineries so they don't back up, so there's a pretty big delta between actual and maximum power usage, as most of the factories sit idle.

Klyith posted:

Trains OTOH would handle this easily, and are not difficult to figure out the approximate needs in advance. Each train can has 32 stack slots on it. You need ~23 stacks per minute.
number of cars = round trip time * 23/32
So build your track first, and plop 2 temporary stations in the area of where your stops will be. Then you can send a train around the loop on autopilot and time it. Add 50 seconds to that time, since the loading/unloading takes 25 seconds and your timing train is just stopping at the stations without that.

A train loop across a significant part of the map can take 10-12 minutes. So you may be looking at a moderately hefty train to carry all that wire, but still that's just 2 engines and 8 cars. Massively less power than the drones, and running rails is way faster than conveyor. (Or you can have 2 trains running at the same time, but be aware that they can drift out of sync over long term operation.)

Great tips, thanks. I am leaning toward using trains to move the quickwire. And good point about moving ingots vs quickwire.

SkunkDuster posted:

If you are morally flexible, there is a mod called something like Item Teleporter that works like a champ for instantly transporting any beltable item anywhere you want (doesn't work on liquids or gas).

I am using a few mods, but only ones I consider to be time-saving. Smart! mod, Efficiency Checker, Teleporter (for players, not items), and Pak Utility Mod for !flying when I'm initially plotting a floorplan (or for recovering my belongings if I fall to my death). Combined, they've probably saved me a dozen hours so far. I don't want anything to stop working because a mod doesn't get updated; so while your suggestion is a great one, it's not one I'm considering at the moment.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Well that was a let-down.

No changes needed to my existing power setup:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Outside of some cosmetic touches, I think it's time to call this aluminum, radio control unit, crystal oscillator, computer, battery, fused frame and plastic factory complete.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Unponderable posted:

Yeah I've already "beaten" the game, 200 hours in, save the final space delivery for the coffee cup. I won't recommend trying what I'm doing at less than endgame. Setting it all up is my goal for the moment, and I'm probably over halfway there. I was pretty put off when I first plugged the rods into Satisfactory Tools, trying to make sense of the web of components, but the whole process can be broken up into smaller, more manageable and visualizable pieces with a little thought and effort. This image on the wiki has been my roadmap. Maybe I'll share how I broke it down after I'm done.

What you're doing is basically what I was going to do as my main long-term goal for update 5, just wanted to make sure you knew how big a task you were undertaking. I've already obtained the golden nut and finished the space elevator deliveries in updates 3 & 4, turning all the uranium on the map into energy seemed like a good arbitrary project for update 5 since it looks like most of the changes are going to be quality-of-life things rather than flashy stuff like the drones and particle accelerators we got in update 4. Didn't want to start until update 5 actually launched since I was planning on making it in the Spire Coast area and didn't want to get part way done only for all my stuff to end up inside the terrain. Did my 180GW plant without mods but might end up finally getting Smart Mod to make the scope of the project more manageable. Zooping looks good but seems more geared to cosmetic items so all the giant manifolds would still have to be done by hand without Smart.

One last thing I would point out is that supplying water to the nuclear plants is about as difficult a problem as setting up all the actual production for the uranium and plutonium rods. You'll presumably be building on one of the shores, but float over the ocean with a water extractor selected to make sure you have a good location before committing. A lot of the water that extends out to the horizon is actually "fake" in that it has a water texture but not the added information for the game to actually recognize it as water. Ran into the issue while building in the swamp where you run into a sort of crooked building edge past which you can't put any more extractors. A lot of the water doesn't even register as anything beyond a texture and you'll fall through it into the void if you try to swim out past a certain point.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

They have to peek above sadly. Though I'll see if it works further out in the ocean abyss.

This image is up in the valley in the North near the Dune Desert.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Okay I now have advanced steel production and am waiting on my assemblers to just build all the poo poo I need for my next elevator shipment. I’m in the process of redesigning my steel area, should be making 450 ingots/minute which should be helpful until I can expand it further. Or maybe just overclock the entire factory, I have the energy for it.

How much of my iron production do I really need at this point? I’m wondering if I should try and redesign most of my iron poo poo to just crank out rotors and the like and just leave one or two machines on plate/rod duty, if that.