Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I hope, once they hang Paranatural up and take some time to not have their wrists explode, Zack starts doing smaller, more manageable projects. Less "twenty-year epic story", more "50-page graphic novel."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The comic would have been over by now if he hadn't done the kickball arc

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Hitball. Kickball was banned after the Mayview Elementary Kickball Massacre of 1978, and Coach Oop would never be so irresponsible as to find some way around the ban et cetera. Hitball is a completely different and distinct sport, legally speaking.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Hitball is also a version of dodgeball; kickball is like baseball or softball with running around bases and poo poo.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Fortis posted:

Hitball is also a version of dodgeball

Again, legally distinct &c, I've had enough of listening to you all disparage Coach Oop's good name.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Ahh, they pulled an Erfworld. So it goes.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the hitball chapter rules, frankly

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Varinn posted:

:hai:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Varinn posted:

It owns and is extremely funny and could be a standalone comic entirely by itself with just a few tweaks.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Hitball was my introduction to the comic

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Hey, if it worked for the Achewood blogs it can work for Paranatural. I'm down to see where this goes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Strange Cares posted:

Hey, if it worked for the Achewood blogs it can work for Paranatural. I'm down to see where this goes

very different. the achewood blogs and cookbooks were all in-character first-person vignettes, not traditional prose. i can only remember one short story of onstad's (when teodor first moves in) and it didn't work nearly as well

paranatural's writing would also be far worse than achewood's outside of comic format. the dialogue would be unbearably obnoxious without zack's visuals and panels to space it out, to say nothing of the narration itself. the smartest thing to do would be to just pull the plug on paranatural and move on to gag-a-day or something, but zack's probably still too deep in sunk cost to consider that

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Nah, it'll work fine. Feels more like you all are afraid of change, but honestly? That's okay.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Strange Cares posted:

Nah, it'll work fine. Feels more like you all are afraid of change, but honestly? That's okay.

Yeah it can't be that the specific combination of Zack's writing and comedic timing in the comics format specifically being what attracted many of us to the story in the first place is what's making us skeptical about this, nor could it possibly be that other webcomics have done this exact thing immediately prior to totally imploding. No, it must be a personal failing on our parts that's making us skeptical about this. Of course.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 25, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Comedic timing in writing and comedic timing in penis are totally different things.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Fortis posted:

Yeah it can't be that the specific combination of Zack's writing and comedic timing in the comics format specifically being what attracted many of us to the story in the first place is what's making us skeptical about this, nor could it possibly be that other webcomics have done this exact thing immediately prior to totally imploding. No, it must be a personal failing on our parts that's making us skeptical about this. Of course.

Hey, you can be skeptical but jumping right to doomsaying seems a bit much. I think it's a cool experiment and I'm happy that Zack is trying something that's gonna work better for them. Maybe a bit shaky to start, but they're super passionate about this story so I believe in them to keep improving, just like they do with their art.

And hey, if I'm wrong you can dig up these posts and make fun of me in the future. That'll be a nice time for all of us.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

Comedic timing in writing and comedic timing in penis are totally different things.

Tell that to Oglaf

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Tenebrais posted:

Tell that to Oglaf

Pun aside, Oglaf kind of proves that point though; all the arcs around Ivan the Apprentice wwere an awful slog because of how long and drawn out it was compared to the snappy, instant payback humor Oglaf usually has. I love Paranatural for many, many reasons, but pacing is absolutely not one of them.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't think I like this change. It feels like Zack isn't playing to their strengths as a creator. Plus, switching over to prose summaries is the webcomics equivalent of hospice care.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

One of my favorite visual puns from Zack -- "because of *gestures* all of the above*" -- just simply doesn't work in a prose format.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

the smartest thing to do would be to just pull the plug on paranatural and move on to gag-a-day or something, but zack's probably still too deep in sunk cost to consider that
Getting bi-monthly Lupin goof comics whenever their wrist is up to it would soothe our loss.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pants Donkey posted:

Getting bi-monthly Lupin goof comics whenever their wrist is up to it would soothe our loss.

Loss? Where?!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think the problem with this kind of thing really comes from artists assuming that writing is easier because the work put in to get good at it isn’t as obvious/visible. So they swap over, thinking it’ll take less work, when all it does is take a different kind of work. And so this Hail Mary for “this will make things easier and save my project” is a kick in the teeth instead.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Strange Cares posted:

Hey, you can be skeptical but jumping right to doomsaying seems a bit much. I think it's a cool experiment and I'm happy that Zack is trying something that's gonna work better for them. Maybe a bit shaky to start, but they're super passionate about this story so I believe in them to keep improving, just like they do with their art.

And hey, if I'm wrong you can dig up these posts and make fun of me in the future. That'll be a nice time for all of us.

Maybe it somehow will work out but at the same time uh... basic pattern recognition isn't doomsaying.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The closest thing to a success story with this format is Erfworld, which kept going for several years after the change and only ended due to outside circumstances. So, it didn’t kill the comic.

It did, however, undermine all of the author’s strengths and encourage/intensify all their weaknesses.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

girl dick energy posted:

I think the problem with this kind of thing really comes from artists assuming that writing is easier because the work put in to get good at it isn’t as obvious/visible. So they swap over, thinking it’ll take less work, when all it does is take a different kind of work. And so this Hail Mary for “this will make things easier and save my project” is a kick in the teeth instead.

Well the "easier" in this case is "easier on their body", so I don't think the intention is that it's less work in terms of writing being a simpler craft than drawing, but less work in terms of physical complications.

That said I'm personally not very interested in continuing to follow Paranatural in a blog/LN style format but I hope they're able to find a solution that they're happy with even if it isn't one I'll be reading.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Can't say I was super hot on the first page they put out, but I'm willing to give it a try.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

The closest thing to a success story with this format is Erfworld, which kept going for several years after the change and only ended due to outside circumstances. So, it didn’t kill the comic.

It did, however, undermine all of the author’s strengths and encourage/intensify all their weaknesses.

Erfworld also wasn't 100% that format either to my recollection, it was probably somewhere around 70% prose to 30% comic pages which I think contributed a lot to not killing the comic.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

We're not getting more pages per week right? Still once a week, just light novel format now?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

If we do wind up getting an illustrated novel I really hope that Zack will do it as plain text that can feed into my browser's reading mode so that I can read it at a comfy size instead of having to zoom way in.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

blastron posted:

If we do wind up getting an illustrated novel I really hope that Zack will do it as plain text that can feed into my browser's reading mode so that I can read it at a comfy size instead of having to zoom way in.

Sorry but it is literally an image https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-7-page-51

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
drat that is like the absolute worst way to do it lol. Easiest if you're doing anything fancy with the text, but there's none of that happening.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
The transcript is in the text description below, not sure if that helps you?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Web serials are certainly something that can be successful—there’s plenty of stuff put out online that has a significant following, and also end up getting published or further adapted (like The Martian). But it’s a very different format that requires different skills, and isn’t necessarily going to appeal to the same audience. And switching from a very well-produced webcomic to a prose serial done by someone new to the format is going to be offputting to a lot of people.

The update we have here is just too short to be enough of an update. Comics can come a page at a time and that works, because a picture is worth a thousand words, and whatnot. This just isn’t a strong start. I hope Zack can figure out something that works for them, but what we have in front of us right now ain’t it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That prose page was ok as a one time thing but I don't think anything about it was particularly charming or clever. Maybe zack will find a way to make it more interesting who knows, but paranatural has always felt like a very uniquely visual experience, more so than most webcomics, so this transition seems especially ill suited.

I'm remebering things like spender bringing out the shadow powers against forge or the entire reflection frog fight and like, the clever use of visuals is honestly the most compelling part of the comic. I don't think those moments would've been particularly good if not for the excellent visual presentation of the concepts.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 1, 2021

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

all I'm gonna say on these developments is that I think of Zack as the Kentaro Miura of visual comedy. that's not a bad legacy to have.

I'll ride this out with them, to a good end hopefully, years from now. I hope whatever happens, they know a lot of us are proud of them for everything they managed to do.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Outlook not so good for this comic as prose since Zack just posted what would probably be half a year of regular paranatural comics in one written update and nobody's commented on it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Calaveron posted:

Outlook not so good for this comic as prose since Zack just posted what would probably be half a year of regular paranatural comics in one written update and nobody's commented on it

lol gently caress.

Well the comic had a good run.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah this isn't doing it for me. Some of the descriptions feel more like "this would be really cool, in a visual medium" note to Zack theirself than like...descriptive language, if that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
zack's best work isn't a fit for prose even if they were a really good prose writer, which they aren't

like you wouldn't be able to accurately reproduce the fabled jeff-bullying page in plain text. it's not doable

e: iirc they tried this same thing in 2018, to a similarly tepid response

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 1, 2021