Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Since we're talking about NGU again, I might as well post this. :toot:

So long NGU. The vacant spot on my side monitor will miss you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Arzaac posted:

I'm currently playing Your Chronicle, and it's definitely a lot of fun. I do like the idea of making a branching narrative with multiple endings, and tying that in to the usual prestige loop that idle games do.

Like you said though, it takes a lot of active play before you even get a whiff of any automation or QoL. Last time I played, I ended up quitting before getting the first ending and therefore access to a lot of the automation. Hopefully it's gonna go better this time around!

The real biggest problem I have with Your Chronicle is that its main prestige mechanic Dark Ritual is functionally very similar to NGU's Rebirth mechanic. Both games reward you with a currency for "ranking up" and most of your ranks up happen at the start of your run, so both games incentivize you to reset your rank as often as possible so you can farm currency to re-invest in stats. The big difference though is NGU lets you do this almost whenever you want and even lets you actively spam it for quick XP gains but also has various systems which incentivize you toward using Rebirth once every 24 hours or so. Whereas Your Chronicle puts its Dark Ritual on an hour long cooldown and there's very little reason not to be doing it the moment it becomes available, so the best way to play is by checking in exactly once every hour which is very annoying.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
As a note I got enough rubies through normal play to unlock one extra party slot, and was close to a second from the IEH crossover and mimic festival events. It can vary a lot with RNG because of the variance on chests.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

The Ninth Layer posted:

so the best way to play is by checking in exactly once every hour which is very annoying.
Also this! This has been dangerous for me with the WFH situation being as it is, because I'll switch over to my gaming computer to do the Dark Ritual, and all of a sudden I'm clicking my way through another Reincarnation instead of doing what I'm supposed to be doing, complaining about clicker games on the internet making websites or whatever.

Many times I have retreated off into the office (it's still accessible and commutable, just nobody goes there) so as to remove the temptation for More Gains.

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 28, 2021

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Aurora posted:

it doesn't make number go up in any meaninful way though.

like why would i spend my time doing this instead of pushing 24 hour rebirths instead of getting uhhhhhh 140m exp? 20k ap?

See that 1/20? What if it could go up to 2/20? And then 3/20? And on and on until you get to 20/20?!?

If this doesn't appeal to you I think perhaps you have evaded the point of the Numbers Go Up game

(just kidding, I wouldn't give a poo poo either, but in NGU the numbers going up really has to be its own reward)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Aurora posted:

it doesn't make number go up in any meaninful way though.

like why would i spend my time doing this instead of pushing 24 hour rebirths instead of getting uhhhhhh 140m exp? 20k ap?

You do it while you're doing your normal rebirth cycle, that's the whole point of that one!

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

When I do zoom court, if I'm not talking I'm usually looking at NGU.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
In AutoTrimps how do i get it to stay and repeat a high level zone for a while so i can farm some xp for Fluffy?

Every run now it just blitzes to the portal i have set it to portal at then restarts the run. If i don't set it to portal it will eventually hit a wall. In both cases i don't get to repeat zones for xp.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
In NGU I've had an Accessory (the toilet paper from the Halloween zone) drop that I simply can't equip. I even removed an Accessory to create a blank accessory spot and it won't equip. No message, just doesn't equip and stays in my inventory. Anybody seen anything like this?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Pope Guilty posted:

In NGU I've had an Accessory (the toilet paper from the Halloween zone) drop that I simply can't equip. I even removed an Accessory to create a blank accessory spot and it won't equip. No message, just doesn't equip and stays in my inventory. Anybody seen anything like this?

This may be a silly question, but by any chance do you already have one equipped?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Klungar posted:

This may be a silly question, but by any chance do you already have one equipped?

I'm an idiot, I did! I don't know how I missed that.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm an idiot, I did! I don't know how I missed that.

Haha, don’t worry about it, this issue has popped up many times, you aren’t the only one.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Ineptitude posted:

In AutoTrimps how do i get it to stay and repeat a high level zone for a while so i can farm some xp for Fluffy?

Every run now it just blitzes to the portal i have set it to portal at then restarts the run. If i don't set it to portal it will eventually hit a wall. In both cases i don't get to repeat zones for xp.

Unless I misunderstand your question, you can't repeat zones for Fluffy XP. You can repeat maps, but they don't give Fluffy XP. Portaling is the only way to reset zones. Fluffy is a long-term grind and the only thing you can really do to make it go faster is to push to clearing new spires.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Unponderable posted:

Unless I misunderstand your question

Sounds like you understood my question. Bummer about not being able to repeat xp granting zones. He has been at level 8 for like a month.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ineptitude posted:

Sounds like you understood my question. Bummer about not being able to repeat xp granting zones. He has been at level 8 for like a month.

You set autotrimps to portal on Radon Per Hour with a minimum portal level of some reasonable value and a reasonable buffer. For example, I have mine set to restart Alchemy challenge with a 10% buffer and a minimum zone of 160. So if I make 100 radon/hr at my peak, when it drops down to 90 radon/hr, if it's past zone 160, it will portal.

That will let you push beyond whatever challenge you're running but still reset at a reasonable point before you get stuck and not completely tank your radon/hr stat.

If you're not in U2, replace "radon" with "helium".

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I notice that the permanent bonuses from Generator Charges I spend during WAMI challenges are much larger than the ones I get when I'm not in a Challenge (presumably because it's based on your total permanent bonus and that's temporarily reset during Challenges). What happens when I leave the Challenge? Is the amount of Essence spent on those Charges added to the amount spent for permanent changes in my main game and then the bonuses are recalculated based on that?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It is the year 2172 and this ridiculous challenge game in Evolve (Antimatter 4* Technophobe)'s ultimate machine for Ascension is 15 segments away from completion. I will need a fuckton more energy generation to pop it off but this dumb run will finally draw to a close and I'll never have to work in this Universe again.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

It is the year 2172 and this ridiculous challenge game in Evolve (Antimatter 4* Technophobe)'s ultimate machine for Ascension is 15 segments away from completion. I will need a fuckton more energy generation to pop it off but this dumb run will finally draw to a close and I'll never have to work in this Universe again.

Barf, congrats on getting the last of it in queue though. I am not looking forward to that one.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

I notice that the permanent bonuses from Generator Charges I spend during WAMI challenges are much larger than the ones I get when I'm not in a Challenge (presumably because it's based on your total permanent bonus and that's temporarily reset during Challenges). What happens when I leave the Challenge? Is the amount of Essence spent on those Charges added to the amount spent for permanent changes in my main game and then the bonuses are recalculated based on that?

I'd hoped it got just factored into your diminished returns outside the challenge, but I can't find anything that says this definitively. Only that you don't lose your perm generator bonuses when you R or enter a challenge. And in some places I've seen it said that the new limits are added to the old ones, so it may just get stuck in that bucket like your mana limit does.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Sage Grimm posted:

Grats. Have you done Magic Technophobe yet? That one was the real hell for energy.

MattDarling
Apr 25, 2017

Pope Guilty posted:

My experience after doing ~90% of the challenges is that, yeah, it adds the amounts. It seems to count how much essence is dumped into a generator, and then use that to calculate the bonus.

Evidence: I normally keep related generators evenly invested, eg mana refill and mana power. But in challenges I only spend charges as needed. When I come out of the challenge, the bonuses are uneven. Adding more essence brings it back to being even, eventually.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Rynoto posted:

Grats. Have you done Magic Technophobe yet? That one was the real hell for energy.

Looking at my achievements list, I have not. I did, apparently, play through the Cataclysm in that Universe instead.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I found a simple auto clicker and ran it overnight to experiment in WAMI and I'm v glad I didn't spend those 200k souls now

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

explosivo posted:

I found a simple auto clicker and ran it overnight to experiment in WAMI and I'm v glad I didn't spend those 200k souls now

I think this experience is very different depending on whether you play desktop or mobile. I play on mobile, and up until I had slime juice running 24/7, I always had alchemy time warp available every time I needed to experiment (I don't think this exists on desktop?). So for me, every alchemy prestige was an exercise in mashing the experiment button 512 times as fast as I could.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Unponderable posted:

I think this experience is very different depending on whether you play desktop or mobile. I play on mobile, and up until I had slime juice running 24/7, I always had alchemy time warp available every time I needed to experiment (I don't think this exists on desktop?). So for me, every alchemy prestige was an exercise in mashing the experiment button 512 times as fast as I could.

Yeah I started out switching between mobile/PC but I quickly realized there's some pretty big differences between the two versions despite the saves being transferable so I eventually settled on having it running on my PC all the time.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Picking back up Bitburner to check out the updates and it feels like staring into a fever dream trying to understand the mess of scripts that all call each other.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

You set autotrimps to portal on Radon Per Hour with a minimum portal level of some reasonable value and a reasonable buffer. For example, I have mine set to restart Alchemy challenge with a 10% buffer and a minimum zone of 160. So if I make 100 radon/hr at my peak, when it drops down to 90 radon/hr, if it's past zone 160, it will portal.

That will let you push beyond whatever challenge you're running but still reset at a reasonable point before you get stuck and not completely tank your radon/hr stat.

If you're not in U2, replace "radon" with "helium".

I have been tuning my autoportal based on the graph feature and setting the portal to when the HE/hr starts dipping.

Will your method noticeably speed up my He/time generation? I tried portaling based on He/hr before but couldn't get it to work. According to the graph the He/hr had plummeted something fierce by the time it would portal.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I just picked up Grim Clicker again; am I missing something, or are the detached shards just a super-lovely money gate?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I remember some folks enjoyed the original Cavernous when I posted it last night, so I figured I'd mention that Cavernous 2 came out, same general idea more mechanics.

https://nucaranlaeg.github.io/incremental/CavernousII/

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Anyone still playing Elethor? I'd love to do incursions w/ goons

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Corp is still full but we've got a couple inactives we can kick to make room. Good time to get in too, double xp and drops going on right now.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Lilli posted:

I remember some folks enjoyed the original Cavernous when I posted it last night, so I figured I'd mention that Cavernous 2 came out, same general idea more mechanics.

I loved the concept of the original Cavernous, I haven't had time to play this one yet but I hope it manages to avoid the things that made the first one tedious (long commands were very cumbersome to use and edit, progress took ages in some places, clones broke my brain in two).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think I'm putting down WAMI, I'm sure there's more to come but there's very long swaths of not much happening and the new stuff I'm unlocking hasn't been particularly engaging. It's been fun but not nearly as satisfying of an unlock path as there is was NGU that kept me pushing towards the next thing.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lilli posted:

I will never understand how games manage to look like this on a regular 1080p screen

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Been working on Cominitree since it was posted and I think I'm nearing the end of current content. I hit a phase this morning where you have to type in codes to get points which I'm not real keen on. But overall it's been a fun time waster

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I'd like an invite to the Elethor guild

Ladejarlen is the character.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

explosivo posted:

I think I'm putting down WAMI, I'm sure there's more to come but there's very long swaths of not much happening and the new stuff I'm unlocking hasn't been particularly engaging. It's been fun but not nearly as satisfying of an unlock path as there is was NGU that kept me pushing towards the next thing.

Really doesn't help that there's not much logic to how things open past get to stage X, and on desktop there's not even anything that will tell you what opens what a lot of the time. Challenges are okay, but never getting to use half of your collected stats is a bummer. But mostly it feels like there's not really anything to do because so much of it unlocks slowly and doesn't really change much when it happens. It's the diminishing returns that really gets to me. Feels really constricting to have them on the major resources.

That and the lack of basic info on desktop is killing it for me. I get that it's an old UI, but it's just devoid of so much information that should have just been put in a pop up or info page.

E: It took me a couple weeks before I even found the Trophy page. Kind of terrible to bury it in a Stats page which doesn't have any useful stats.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I'm AtomicDog on Elethor

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

I will never understand how games manage to look like this on a regular 1080p screen

That looks more like you've got a default zoom level for your browser at something other than 100% instead of a resolution issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

control + scroll zooms, Control + 0 resets your zoom.

The scroll is usually how people do it by accident.