Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shwqa posted:

My partner had a lyft driver come a block short of her location and then slowly drive to her destination without her. Lyft told us that we couldn't have our money back because the full route had been done. So I guess you can just keep scamming the same app.

What's the scam here where the scammer actually benefits? Might as well pick up the person and drive legitimately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

happyhippy posted:

I'm still with a corp that still does this, just waiting until they end up with gift cards or a pizza party friday.
Years ago our christmas bonus would be upto half a month wage, which all of us loving loved.
Then they changed it to split it up in two, you get it every 6 months. This slowly was reduced.
Then they made it more 'performance linked', so nowadays you need to do 130% of normal work to earn a day or two wage bonus which it is now.
And this is a corp that gets records profits every year.
And not one of us gives a poo poo trying to get this, and they wonder why we aren't working as best we can.

Cousin eddy did nothing wrong

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Fame Douglas posted:

What's the scam here where the scammer actually benefits? Might as well pick up the person and drive legitimately?

Racism maybe?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

You can't just take empty houses and give them to the homeless, there's no way that could possibly work!

I had to pay for my house, why don't they have to pay for their house??

So many people pissed that there isn't a "Super Heaven" for rich people

quote:

Matthew 20:1-16

1 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire workers for his vineyard. 2 He agreed to pay them a denarius for the day and sent them into his vineyard.

3 “About nine in the morning he went out and saw others standing in the marketplace doing nothing. 4 He told them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.’ 5 So they went.

“He went out again about noon and about three in the afternoon and did the same thing. 6 About five in the afternoon he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, ‘Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?’

7 “‘Because no one has hired us,’ they answered.

“He said to them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard.’

8 “When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, ‘Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last ones hired and going on to the first.’

9 “The workers who were hired about five in the afternoon came and each received a denarius. 10 So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. 11 When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. 12 ‘These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.’

13 “But he answered one of them, ‘I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn’t you agree to work for a denarius? 14 Take your pay and go. I want to give the one who was hired last the same as I gave you. 15 Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’

16 “So the last will be first, and the first will be last.”

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sometimes I just read chunks of the bible cuz I'm bored, I've never really been religious but it's kinda interesting to go through I guess? Anyway I noticed some of the old and a whole lot of the new testament has sections that really really feel like someone was standing over the shoulder of a scribe 1700 years ago going "no no put something in there about how hard it is to be rich and you should be thankful you're poor" cuz multiple times Jesus would say something about how rich people suck and then a few pages later there'd be a parable about how rich people sure do have it tough, gosh.

I know this probably isn't news to most of you but I found it interesting idk :shrug:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
i mean there's a reason he was crucified and it had nothing to do with being the true son of god

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My favorite bible thing so far has been the bit that the "we are legion" thing is from because the full story is "Some guy full of demens came up to Jesus, Jesus sent the demens out of the man into a flock of sheep, then all 2000 sheep immediately bolted into a nearby body of water and drowned themselves. After this the shepherds whose sheep he just killed were like '... you need to leave. Now.' So Jesus left. The end."

bristol cool chart
Jun 18, 2021

by Hand Knit

Shame Boy posted:

Sometimes I just read chunks of the bible cuz I'm bored, I've never really been religious but it's kinda interesting to go through I guess? Anyway I noticed some of the old and a whole lot of the new testament has sections that really really feel like someone was standing over the shoulder of a scribe 1700 years ago going "no no put something in there about how hard it is to be rich and you should be thankful you're poor" cuz multiple times Jesus would say something about how rich people suck and then a few pages later there'd be a parable about how rich people sure do have it tough, gosh.

I know this probably isn't news to most of you but I found it interesting idk :shrug:

the christians were a direct threat to Roman power structures precisely because they were heavily communal, and largely existed (as much as they could, anyway) outside of local politics and economics. not so much once it got adopted by the powerful of course.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

indigi posted:

I don’t think you can sign up without submitting to a background check and giving them access to your bank account. makes it difficult to get away with

lol at any of those companies doing background checks

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

duz posted:

lol at any of those companies doing background checks

They do exactly enough of a background check to comply with the regulations they had written and ensure they can gently caress you over later, while not actually ensuring anything else useful.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I wish I'd said all of these to my last landlord before I bought a house.

Although now that I think about it, I did actually shout "Hope you get Mao'd!" out the window as I drove off in the moving van.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Shwqa posted:

My partner had a lyft driver come a block short of her location and then slowly drive to her destination without her. Lyft told us that we couldn't have our money back because the full route had been done. So I guess you can just keep scamming the same app.

i once picked up the wrong passenger after an NBA game cause he had the same name as the dude I was supposed to pick up. The original guy called me and started screaming and swearing at me so I just hung up and continued on my way. I got paid for the ride thru Lyft and the dude i picked up felt bad so he paid me cash too.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Tenants have rights = you should be killed for being a landlord

Indeed, indeed, this makes landlords sympathetic victims!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I wish I'd said all of these to my last landlord before I bought a house.

Although now that I think about it, I did actually shout "Hope you get Mao'd!" out the window as I drove off in the moving van.

My GF and I both have Chinese landlords. If drama ever goes down I'm tempted to leave The Little Red Book behind, or at least pages from it glued to the walls and stuffed into odd places

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I think "Fix my AC!" is my favorite. Doing the thing which will prevent the property you own from becoming a mold-infested worthless nightmare is such an unfair burden.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

In the last year of living in my apartment, the property where everything was was sold 4 different times. Each time, the new owners raised rent and didn't finish the construction from the first landlord. loving Mao them.

At least Berlin is off to a right start:
https://www.euronews.com/2021/09/27/berliners-back-seizing-housing-from-so-called-mega-landlords

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

I think "Fix my AC!" is my favorite. Doing the thing which will prevent the property you own from becoming a mold-infested worthless nightmare is such an unfair burden.

Hiring some other guy to come do basic maintenance is literally the only thing a landlord has to do except cash checks and it's just toooooo muuuch

bristol cool chart
Jun 18, 2021

by Hand Knit

bag em and tag em posted:

Hiring some other guy to come do basic maintenance is literally the only thing a landlord has to do except cash checks and it's just toooooo muuuch

look just because they're taking more than most people make a month as rental income on just one residence doesn't mean they aren't struggling too! Furthermore,

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
thinking about the time i had a leaky sink and my landlords solution was to cut hot water off from the kitchen entirely

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I am surprised that everyone just wrote off the idea that John Bolton actually wanted to invade Ireland.

Dude is a wackjob, probably wouldn't even be the craziest thing he's ever suggested.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Thanatosian posted:

I am surprised that everyone just wrote off the idea that John Bolton actually wanted to invade Ireland.

Dude is a wackjob, probably wouldn't even be the craziest thing he's ever suggested.

sorry what

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Aidan_702 posted:

sorry what

Yeah, Bolton is a weird warmonger??? Doesn't compute, I simply can't understand this. Maybe if I read the words again??

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Fame Douglas posted:

Yeah, Bolton is a weird warmonger??? Doesn't compute, I simply can't understand this. Maybe if I read the words again??

your strange gotcha sarcasm aside I was more looking for actual details but it appears this stems from Trump’s joke where he asked him “is this one of the countries you wanted to invade?”

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I was a couple of pages behind, so that wasn't exactly timely, sorry.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Aidan_702 posted:

your strange gotcha sarcasm aside I was more looking for actual details but it appears this stems from Trump’s joke where he asked him “is this one of the countries you wanted to invade?”

nvm, then.

Thanatosian posted:

I was a couple of pages behind, so that wasn't exactly timely, sorry.

Why are you apologizing to the bad poster.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Shame Boy posted:

It's my property I can do with it what I want! is exceedingly common belief

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I still think about the landlord who, after a long string of bullshit, rolled up to court wearing a neck brace like a goddamn cartoon character.

The judge immediately sided with my family and we went out for burgerville later it ruled

bristol cool chart
Jun 18, 2021

by Hand Knit

tokin opposition posted:

I still think about the landlord who, after a long string of bullshit, rolled up to court wearing a neck brace like a goddamn cartoon character.

The judge immediately sided with my family and we went out for burgerville later it ruled

it works on tv though

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Fame Douglas posted:

Why are you apologizing to the bad poster.

what was that, Lambert? something about a kettle?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Weatherman posted:

what was that, Lambert? something about a kettle?

Kettle brand potato chips are pretty good, I'll give you that.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCiYmCVikjo

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

No, I was shouting "Gitmo'd" as I only wanted to imprison the landlord.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

They took a longer route to charge more and didn't drive as far to pick her up by like a block.

I don't get it either, but I guess it is a very minor crime with no punishment.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

BonHair posted:

I think his point is more "steal from work, especially if you're a gig worker", but yeah, he is kinda privileged in that way.

It's maybe worth noting that Denmark just had a nurse strike ended by parliament dictating the collective bargaining outcome to the favour of the employer (basically the state).

And that worked? You'd think an awful lot of nurses would have been calling in sick.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Weka posted:

And that worked? You'd think an awful lot of nurses would have been calling in sick.

Nurses in general care about their patients, a terrible weakness that capital will exploit mercilessly.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Shwqa posted:

They took a longer route to charge more and didn't drive as far to pick her up by like a block.

I don't get it either, but I guess it is a very minor crime with no punishment.

I'd imagine not having to deal with people who use ridesharing during COVID would be an improvement to anybody's workday. There's nothing stopping you from giving them a negative rating though, is there? Only so long they can keep this up.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Biplane posted:

Nurses in general care about their patients, a terrible weakness that capital will exploit mercilessly.

Also see: social workers, teachers, dokkktors, and even janitorial staff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Biplane posted:

Nurses in general care about their patients

mmm, ER nurses not really