Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Last time I played p1999 a couple years ago it definitely had a blue bar. Surprising change if no longer there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

yeah I definitely have the blue line in my exp bar, and I dont think I have a special UI but its been years since I set up p99

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
green is the "new server" and thus they've gone great lengths to force you to enjoy the "old everquest experience"

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The blue bar is still there when you have your gm’s training window open

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have the blue bar in green?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't and never have. And I aint messed with nothin!

Been listening to this videos and they're great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4gKW5XBQeQ

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 28, 2021

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Where is green at with content? I would guess kunark, are we close to velious?

Im wondering which class to go with. Ill try one i havent already so im juggling with:

- Mage
- Necro
- SK

Maybe other classes. Not shaman, cleric, druid, wiz.

I read that mage is hard to come into itself because of hard to get epic, reading something about a mage nerf etc... but also see a necro looking for pages to buy and skill-intensive like the enchanter... im a very rusty old school rallos player who doesnt remember much about the game.

I need something ez to start that is wanted in groups/raids but can also solo loving around to twink/farm pp.

Ill be playing with a controller (lol) so im not sure if a necro will be button intensive (8 -12 buttons to push being ideal) and if ill enjoy playing it with a controller. Also willing to look at class suggestions.

Ill be starting with a mage i guess and will come check the thread for feedback, too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Several months into Velious.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Several months into Velious.

has Sleeper been released yet? I guess I sort of expected the sockingest of the poops to farm up a bunch of scepters of destruction, primal velium weaps, and shrouds of longevity before loving over the rest of the server.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Aster0ids posted:

Where is green at with content? I would guess kunark, are we close to velious?

Im wondering which class to go with. Ill try one i havent already so im juggling with:

- Mage
- Necro
- SK

Maybe other classes. Not shaman, cleric, druid, wiz.

I read that mage is hard to come into itself because of hard to get epic, reading something about a mage nerf etc... but also see a necro looking for pages to buy and skill-intensive like the enchanter... im a very rusty old school rallos player who doesnt remember much about the game.

I need something ez to start that is wanted in groups/raids but can also solo loving around to twink/farm pp.

Of these 3, mage may be your best bet. Necros are probably better at soloing but it’s really hard to regularly get into a group. SKs are gonna be good for groups as the best aggro holders but soloing is really not super viable. Mages can’t solo like an enchanter or necro but you can definitely make it a primary way to level at least to the mid 50s, and getting a group isn’t as difficult as a necro since you have nukes and people seem to be less afraid of pet pathing than they were on live.

On a controller you’ll need your spell gems as well as commands for the pet to attack, back off, and guard. No clue how you’re gonna manage targeting though.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018

Well Played Mauer posted:

On a controller you’ll need your spell gems as well as commands for the pet to attack, back off, and guard. No clue how you’re gonna manage targeting though.

Thanks for feedback! Im using a keyboard and mouse emulator (Joy-to-key) so targeting will be my usual D-pad right :)

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Word. One thing to note is that at least on green, cycling through targets doesn’t work, or I’ve never been able to get it to do so. You can target the nearest NPC with a button but TAB cycling through NPCs like in WoW doesn’t work, even though there is a UI option to set that to a hot key. Not sure about blue, though.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Well Played Mauer posted:

Word. One thing to note is that at least on green, cycling through targets doesn’t work, or I’ve never been able to get it to do so. You can target the nearest NPC with a button but TAB cycling through NPCs like in WoW doesn’t work, even though there is a UI option to set that to a hot key. Not sure about blue, though.

I only know this becasue I read the into to green last night, but target cycling is disabled on purpose. Apparently click targeting was one of the fun and difficult parts of 99 EQ.

Is there a known bug with loading into West FP? I zoned with my halfelf bard and crashed, and now whenever I try to log in with that character it crashes my client.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
I've finally worked up my Brood of Dizok faction Tina respectable level and want to attempt the Regal Band of Bathezid. Anyone know what the deal is with "a shady goblin" in Warsliks Woods? Is it set up on p99 Blue like the scout roll is?

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Im waiting on red 2.0 to launch, if it ever comes. Im eager to start playing but dont wanna burn out. I missed the green train i guess since its already in velious. Theres a Rogean test server on the server list, i wonder if thats what it is. It was promised in 2019 but not much news since then.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Aster0ids posted:

Im waiting on red 2.0 to launch, if it ever comes. Im eager to start playing but dont wanna burn out. I missed the green train i guess since its already in velious. Theres a Rogean test server on the server list, i wonder if thats what it is. It was promised in 2019 but not much news since then.

Aster0ids posted:

I don’t know if I would hold my breath for a new red server. Everquest pvp essentially amounts to getting ganked by rogues in crushbone or wizards on the walls of city of mist. A new test server would probably be more in-line with whatever pve server is going to be spun up after green is finished in patch timeline (due to conclude final patch next summer).

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

milkman dad posted:

I don’t know if I would hold my breath for a new red server. Everquest pvp essentially amounts to getting ganked by rogues in crushbone or wizards on the walls of city of mist. A new test server would probably be more in-line with whatever pve server is going to be spun up after green is finished in patch timeline (due to conclude final patch next summer).

My guild has been speculating that the test server is an ominous development, either another attempt to fix bad pathing in places like Kael (which usually results in worse pathing), or attempts to "solve" the train-out meta that apparently the GMs hate (git gud).

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018

milkman dad posted:

Ive had plenty of fun as a sham on red, wiz on live. Your group getting attacked (to me anyway) breaks the tedium of the endless grind. Have a pvp session for an hour or 2, then get back to leveling. We had long big KC fights on red that were pretty fun, sniping dragons while 2 big guilds were fighting with a small group, things like that. I know its not for everyone but i enjoy it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The thing I did like about red is the big xp bonuses. Leveling at classic speeds is a real slog. It was fun to level up faster on red.

Eq pvp kinda blows though. The only reason I ever played on that server was because of the faster leveling. I love pvp but not a big fan of how it's handled in eq.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Lakedaimon posted:

My guild has been speculating that the test server is an ominous development, either another attempt to fix bad pathing in places like Kael (which usually results in worse pathing), or attempts to "solve" the train-out meta that apparently the GMs hate (git gud).

i'm hoping mischief rules but p99 tuning

to anyone who rightfully ignores live, mischief is a progression server where every loot mob drops random stuff from all the other similar level mobs and everything is tradeable. it was a buggy mess at launch with things like spite golems in hate dropping naggy/vox loot

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

blatman posted:

i'm hoping mischief rules but p99 tuning

to anyone who rightfully ignores live, mischief is a progression server where every loot mob drops random stuff from all the other similar level mobs and everything is tradeable. it was a buggy mess at launch with things like spite golems in hate dropping naggy/vox loot

Watching 300 people fighting over the 6 minute (?) hatchling spawns in Eashen/Aary hallway would be pretty funny.

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

:420::420::420:
I am going to have a four month break in work in about a year and it’s taking everything in my power to not roll a character and try to get to max level before my life resumes again.

Is it possible to do in four months?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

pop punk posted:

I am going to have a four month break in work in about a year and it’s taking everything in my power to not roll a character and try to get to max level before my life resumes again.

I've had people on my friendslist from early groups hit max level in a month or so.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

pop punk posted:

Definitely possible. Just be focused. Really you should be using almost all of your playtime solely focused on leveling. Most people dick around too much.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
Depends on class and if you have funds to support you, but short answer is definitely yes

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
If you have no responsibilities and know whatcha doing then an average of 3 levels a day until level 50 is easy. 51+ is obviously a lot harder but any respectable nerd should be able to excrete 2 levels a week so my math makes it a month and a half with room to spare for lvl 60

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

pop punk posted:

Could ya? As everyone has answered, no prob if you have 8 hours a day and even a passing familiarity and, depending on the class selection, a willingness to socialize with fellow EQ weirdos. My personal record on P99 with no PLs is <24hrs /played on a 0-50 mage. 50-60 is mostly about building a good grouping network or getting good at not dying while productively soloing.

Should ya? Any answer I give will just reveal my envy for your situation and personal EQ self-control demons.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
You could do it in one month. You shouldn’t do it at all.

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Could ya? As everyone has answered, no prob if you have 8 hours a day and even a passing familiarity and, depending on the class selection, a willingness to socialize with fellow EQ weirdos. My personal record on P99 with no PLs is <24hrs /played on a 0-50 mage. 50-60 is mostly about building a good grouping network or getting good at not dying while productively soloing.

Should ya? Any answer I give will just reveal my envy for your situation and personal EQ self-control demons.

So I have basically put off getting back in for real at all since my original experience since about 99-2002 til now. I have not played it and built an okay career, and have the time set aside if I want. (I can also likely use the experience for my career in some productive way afterwards.)

As a kid I played a lot but only really got to like level 20, then traded a fungi tunic for a 49 or 59 paladin character with no equipment. (It was one off of whatever the max leave was.) and I think about the game still almost monthly.

I’ve booted a character for three or four days maybe three times over the last five years and would like to actually scratch the itch. I feel like getting that done will let me bury the game finally?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

pop punk posted:

I’ve booted a character for three or four days maybe three times over the last five years and would like to actually scratch the itch. I feel like getting that done will let me bury the game finally?

Nope. Playing more of it you'll just want to play more of it. Enjoyment doesn't even factor into it. You'll have fun and want to play more of it. You'll be miserable and want to play more of it. You'll be bored and want to play more of it. If you want to bury the game, quit it.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

aparmenideanmonad posted:

My personal record on P99 with no PLs is <24hrs /played on a 0-50 mage.

drat. Could you give a brief rundown of how you do that?

Edit:

pop punk posted:

I feel like getting that done will let me bury the game finally?

Meatgrinder posted:

Nope. Playing more of it you'll just want to play more of it. Enjoyment doesn't even factor into it. You'll have fun and want to play more of it. You'll be miserable and want to play more of it. You'll be bored and want to play more of it. If you want to bury the game, quit it.

To add my perspective, I also played originally from '99 to Luclin as a kid, quit before PoP came out, never made it past 53 as a wizard, but I loved the poo poo out of the game at the time.

P1999 always seemed super appealing to me, and a couple years ago I decided to finally jump in and fulfill my childhood dream of getting a Necromancer to level 60.

Took me about 6-8 months of pretty serious play. I'm talking basically logging on every waking minute that I didn't have any work or personal responsibilities. A large number of 8-16 hour days. Many times I ended up shirking work and neglecting my gf/social life just to play. Gotta say though, I loved every moment of it. Got to 60, spent a month or two loving around, and felt like "okay, guess I did it, seen and done just about all there is to do" and like it was finally out of my system. Deleted it, went back to life.

I stayed away about a year or so, but the entire time I kept coming back to this idea of getting an Enchanter up to 60, because the things I saw them do while I was leveling my Necro just blew my mind. So I dove back in and did it again with an Enchanter. Same deal, I think it took me about 6 months. Got to level 60, hosed around soloing whatever crazy stuff I could for another month or two, then felt done with the game.

It's been I think about 2 years since then. I've logged in maybe half a dozen times just to run around random newbie zones buffing people, only to log out within 15 minutes each time.

I do feel like I got it out of my system, and I'm honestly really glad I did the whole thing even with how it took over my life at some periods. It was just so much god drat fun. The best time I've had playing games since I was a kid, and it felt like I achieved a childhood dream despite how stupid and lame that dream may be to normal people without brain worms.

An important caveat though, is that I think the raiding in EQ is loving awful, and I didn't care about getting in game rich, best in slot items, or my epics. If you do aspire to do all the endgame stuff, and if you have an interest in seeing more than 1-2 classes to 60, if you actually care about getting all the best in slot gear and don't mind the idea of spending days/weeks camping contested mobs for rare items or pieces of your epic quest, I could see how this would suck someone in for a much longer term.

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 20, 2021

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

retpocileh posted:

drat. Could you give a brief rundown of how you do that?

Edit:

To add my perspective, I also played originally from '99 to Luclin as a kid, quit before PoP came out, never made it past 53 as a wizard, but I loved the poo poo out of the game at the time.

P1999 always seemed super appealing to me, and a couple years ago I decided to finally jump in and fulfill my childhood dream of getting a Necromancer to level 60.

Took me about 6-8 months of pretty serious play. I'm talking basically logging on every waking minute that I didn't have any work or personal responsibilities. A large number of 8-16 hour days. Many times I ended up shirking work and neglecting my gf/social life just to play. Gotta say though, I loved every moment of it. Got to 60, spent a month or two loving around, and felt like "okay, guess I did it, seen and done just about all there is to do" and like it was finally out of my system. Deleted it, went back to life.

I stayed away about a year or so, but the entire time I kept coming back to this idea of getting an Enchanter up to 60, because the things I saw them do while I was leveling my Necro just blew my mind. So I dove back in and did it again with an Enchanter. Same deal, I think it took me about 6 months. Got to level 60, hosed around soloing whatever crazy stuff I could for another month or two, then felt done with the game.

It's been I think about 2 years since then. I've logged in maybe half a dozen times just to run around random newbie zones buffing people, only to log out within 15 minutes each time.

I do feel like I got it out of my system, and I'm honestly really glad I did the whole thing even with how it took over my life at some periods. It was just so much god drat fun. The best time I've had playing games since I was a kid, and it felt like I achieved a childhood dream despite how stupid and lame that dream may be to normal people without brain worms.

An important caveat though, is that I think the raiding in EQ is loving awful, and I didn't care about getting in game rich, best in slot items, or my epics. If you do aspire to do all the endgame stuff, and if you have an interest in seeing more than 1-2 classes to 60, if you actually care about getting all the best in slot gear and don't mind the idea of spending days/weeks camping contested mobs for rare items or pieces of your epic quest, I could see how this would suck someone in for a much longer term.

Yeah, I literally don’t care about much more than the number and maybe an epic quest even though I understand they aren’t all actually useful. The idea of super gear or raiding means literally nothing to me because it didn’t mean anything to me as a kid.

I just kind of want to see the zones I didn’t get too and mess up that dumb east commons griffon.

I think I’m going to pick a class I can solo/group and make a little check list of stuff and plan to delete the character when I am done.

I really appreciate you sharing your experience. It’s definitely close to what I had in mind so it’s nice to hear someone else enjoyed it.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

pop punk posted:

Yeah, I literally don’t care about much more than the number and maybe an epic quest even though I understand they aren’t all actually useful. The idea of super gear or raiding means literally nothing to me because it didn’t mean anything to me as a kid.

I just kind of want to see the zones I didn’t get too and mess up that dumb east commons griffon.

I think I’m going to pick a class I can solo/group and make a little check list of stuff and plan to delete the character when I am done.

I really appreciate you sharing your experience. It’s definitely close to what I had in mind so it’s nice to hear someone else enjoyed it.

If you do jump in, feel free to post in this thread or join the discord. No matter what server you pick, there's probably goons around who can help you out with starter cash/bags/gear and a level boost if you want any of that.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

New patch is live, servers being updated

TL;DR, Quillmane nerf, Hole exp nerf, other ZEM changes

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

Meatgrinder posted:

If you do jump in, feel free to post in this thread or join the discord. No matter what server you pick, there's probably goons around who can help you out with starter cash/bags/gear and a level boost if you want any of that.

Heck yeah. I would love to meet some of you in game.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Lakedaimon posted:

New patch is live, servers being updated

TL;DR, Quillmane nerf, Hole exp nerf, other ZEM changes

RIP easy levitate clicky

What are the ZEM changes? I hate the loving hole, can we go somewhere else now?

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

please knock Mom! posted:

RIP easy levitate clicky

What are the ZEM changes? I hate the loving hole, can we go somewhere else now?

Chardok, seb, and karnors got bumped up 11% along with a bunch of others. Dunno what they were originally though, so who knows if they are better or worse than the hole.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
The Hole, Perma, and Kedge still are the best, far as I can tell. They’re just less good. I’d love to see people move around more but I’m not holding my breath.

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS
What did they do to Quillmane now?

The patches (and raid scene/rules) in p99 are really helpful in keeping me from playing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

What's the quillmane fix? Was it spawning too often or something