Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What if tuberculosis Karen was a mermaid the whole time? Did the whole giving up her life under the sea for legs, as one does, and then was in constant pain and horribly disappointed with land. Turned to meth. Got caught up with vampires. Now she's going home to the sea with the belief that the land people are all awful evil monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
But she doesn't look anything like Varys.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Facebook Aunt posted:

Did the whole giving up her life under the sea for legs, as one does, and then was in constant pain and horribly disappointed with land. Turned to meth. Got caught up with vampires.

A more classic story there never was.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Im pretty sure she was a talented vampire because she was able to eat Macaulay and the specifically showed/said the untalented vampires couldn't do that.

oh right, that fits way more than revealing her cool meth body had an aberrant reaction. Also I thought talent vamps couldn't do it before either but I was wrong

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mermaids can eat whoever they want. :colbert:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Speaking of methed out crazy person Sarah Paulson really pulled that character off even if it was a bit hammy. Crazy how many great actors and actresses come from this show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah she was pretty tight, to the point where I thought the false chin(?) they put on her was a bit distracting.

Frances Conroy was amazing, in what was otherwise a very rough production. No end to Billie Lord's character, for instance, despite having seven actual endings.

Felt very much like the old style AHS, which I don't like.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Well, that certainly was an ending.

What was with them doing a voice over monologue in the final scene? I definitely thought they were going to reveal that the last part of the episode was all a terrible tv show adaptation written by some vampire.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Well I don’t know how I expected the half season to end but it certainly wasn’t whatever that was.

Kind of a lovely ending to a story that mostly kept me engaged. Hopefully the second half is decent.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

killer crane posted:

so much happened this episode, but it was like one big wet fart. I'm going to be extremely disappointed if they don't eat that baby in the next episode.

My disappointment is immeasurable. Finishing the episode in LA was a mistakes. it changed the aesthetic, and moved too far away from the encapsulated/intimate setting. Killing everyone was fine, and I'd have been happier if it ended with the cottage massacre, but it did what other AHS has done, and bloated it's way from suspenseful interpersonal monster horror into a chaotic societal evils zombie genre in 5 minutes.

Maybe it's a set up for the next half season being a new pill by the chemist, but that doesn't really justify this ending.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So… how did the small child manage to overpower and murder that guy twice her size in public without attracting any witnesses or getting even a single drop of blood on herself?

I’m beginning to think that this ending wasn’t terribly well thought out.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah that was way too much after already overpowering her dad, who at least has the excuse of like maybe not wanting to straight up murder his daughter after being attacked. Also people don't die after one bite in the neck, this series treated that like some kind of instakill headshot and they also don't just scream and let it happen. I was coming around to the crap they'd started weaving here but it all kind of fell apart in a really astonishing way. I'm also no longer thinking there will be any interesting crossover between plots. Just two different underbaked plot ideas lol

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
That was a bad ending

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I am SO mad that the pills weren’t supernatural in origin. Making them derived from mermaid flesh or whatever would not only have made the situation more interesting in general, it would have explained all the weird poo poo like the supernatural strength and the pointy teeth better than the more grounded explanations the show tried to give. Having the mermaids show up at the end to murder everyone would have also been a better ending.

I’m also super mad that the pills actually did sort people based on skill rather than it just being random and the vampires choosing to believe in their own inner genius just out of pure narcissism. That would have worked better with the capitalism theming as well.

Also, why didn’t the mom show up at the end with all the other failures? Did I just miss her? They kind of just dropped that whole plot thread.

God drat the more I think about it the madder I get. The first 5 episodes were so much better than this!

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

I'm really struggling to understand a lot of character motivations in that last episode.

So did the chemist, agent and daughter have a pre-planned deal to kill everyone and move to LA so she could remain hooked on vampire talent pills? Or did they just decide to adopt this vampire kid and a baby after she ate her dad in front of them? Why would they make a deal with a child who has already proven to be a huge problem when they could just off her too? I'm not sure that violin players make -that- much money.

If they were killing everyone to tie up any loose ends regarding the talent pill scheme, why did they just start handing them out all over the place to people in starbucks and terrible writing seminars when they went L.A? Maybe they decided to kill Belle and Austin to stop them from eating that baby? But then Belle didn't seem to be too shy about talking about eating babies in the past though, and the chemist didn't seem to be bothered by her and also why let that kid kill the dad and somehow adopt her and uurrrrg.

Is this whole ending an intentional metaphor for if even if you do sacrifice everything to make it as a writer in the industry you're probably gonna turn out something as good as a speed racer reboot or episode 6 of american horror story: double feature???

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Honestly, I gotta say I don't care about consistent character motivations when it comes to characters that are all psychopathically selfish to the point there's no longer any semblance of relatability. I was all for a confusing rollercoaster. My issue, I think, can be boiled down to the loss of tension that follows the location shift. I didn't relate with any of the survivors, I wasn't concerned of their outcomes... except that baby, and then nothing of note happens to the baby. This was a season building interpersonal tension, and suspense: will the guy and then kid take the pill? are they going to eat the baby? is mom going to take the pill? And then they killed everyone (pretty good release of tension), and your supposed to ask something like, what happens when the pills get to the real world? (like, nothing really about the survivors, there's not much tension left for them) but then Zombies, blargh! Look at man's hubris!

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I liked 1984

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

1984 and Roanoke were both great.

My new fear is they will find a hamfisted way to connect Part 1 and Part 2 of this season. It's already a little implied by the bottle falling in the trailer.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Hey six episodes in before completely falling off the rails and being lame as gently caress is NOT that bad for a Ryan Murphy production

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doltos posted:

Hey six episodes in before completely falling off the rails and being lame as gently caress is NOT that bad for a Ryan Murphy production

It went sour with the flashback episode IMO, episode 6 is just the moment when they realised they had a main plot to "conclude".

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Shammypants posted:

1984 and Roanoke were both great.

:hmmyes:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Roanoke was loving dope. Big fan of Cult as well.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zombie Squared posted:

So did the chemist, agent and daughter have a pre-planned deal to kill everyone and move to LA so she could remain hooked on vampire talent pills? Or did they just decide to adopt this vampire kid and a baby after she ate her dad in front of them? Why would they make a deal with a child who has already proven to be a huge problem when they could just off her too? I'm not sure that violin players make -that- much money.

The kid is an excellent liar, much better than people expect from a young child. (Maybe she had acting talent too, which was also enhanced by the pill?) So when she tearfully tells her account of what her father did, people are going to think she is telling the truth as she understands it. No one will expect that she is actually covering up her own crimes. No one will expect that she is conspiring with her father's agent, an adult she barely knows, so when their stories match that will be considered much more plausible than if the agent was telling the story by herself. She's useful to help cement whatever cockamamie story they cook up to convince the world 1 guy did all those murders.

Violin players don't make much money, but she's also about to inherit boatloads of money from her father's estate. That could very well have been her mansion they were all living in. We know the agent and the chemist do not care about those children, but by somehow becoming their guardians they get access to the money. Unlike her brother she is old enough to state a preference of guardian in court if distant relatives try to claim the prize. Obviously she'll want to stay with the people who give her pills and blood.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It was funny when the chemist said the US military wouldn't help local cops. That's probably true, and the existence of the pills is a state secret. They really really wouldn't want the news about those pills getting out. She didn't seem at all concerned they might loving assassinate her to stop the flow of pills and protect the secret.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

readingatwork posted:

Having the mermaids show up at the end to murder everyone would have also been a better ending.

Get a load of Bradley Whitford over here :rolleyes:

Welp. In true AHS fashion, at least the previews for the next part looked cool.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Not enough baby milkshakes for my liking also uh did that dumb girl think they would just give her the first chair position now that her main competition just circumstantiality ended up dead with a child sized bite mark on his neck in the 10 minutes she was alone with him? Why did these people all suddenly forget being subtle and their own self preservation? I assume/hope the agent was also eaten?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah the ending didn't make sense at all and the most egregious thing that Ryan Murphy somehow has ever done in the 10 years of this show was trying to make us believe with a straight face that girl killed that dude and was able to drag the body

The whole episode felt like something came up in shooting and caused them to have to go back later and finish it

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I never got a good read on whether they were supposed to have super strength or something. Sometimes they seemed to and sometimes they didnt.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

This is such a weird show, a penultimate episode one hour two minutes long and finale just under thirty-seven minutes — which to me stuck out as the result of quick edits? Last episode closed on Agent and Literally Every Ryan Murphy Child walking to the Chemist, but opened without a word about that or at the same point. Maybe the Agent talked more with the Chemist off screen, which could have made it smoother as for why she just went along with insane and reckless woman plus liability child devoid of any redeeming value.

Season started out strong but three episodes ago felt like iy dropped to a filler episode, then a sort of cliche but fine episode, and now a finale that felt devoid of meaningful or rewarding resolution. Not horrible, but far from what the promising start deserved.

As someome who has struggled a bit with addiction/dependency as well as a chronic illness that must be managed, it really got off to a good metaphor at first and, while it faded as the focus, still did good kinda.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Roanoke was loving dope. Big fan of Cult as well.

Roanoke on a second watch wasn't as good as the first for me but did not fade as a great concept that felt fresh and different. It fell into the too many supernatural elements and bloated character issues of his other work, but that theoretically isn't related.

Cult was comedy gold slash a little too close ( perfect distance imo ) from real life and to rewatch October 2020, though it fell into the confused late season issues of what seems like everything but The People v. O. J. Simpson: American Crime Story.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 25, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I never got a good read on whether they were supposed to have super strength or something. Sometimes they seemed to and sometimes they didnt.

Vague and constantly changing rules have been a problem with this show since season 1.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

readingatwork posted:

Vague and constantly changing rules have been a problem with this show since season 1.

I'd argue that's not a problem in itself, you don't want to be predictable. How it's used is the issue.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Nothing will be as bad as Game Over from Stories

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Those aliens better like eating babies.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Nothing will be as bad as Game Over from Stories

Funny too since Ryan Murphy only had a hand in two of those episodes and one of them was Game Over.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I'd argue that's not a problem in itself, you don't want to be predictable. How it's used is the issue.

Rules are super important in horror because they are usually what drives most of the tension in the story. Changing them on a whim just for the sake of being unpredictable sounds like a really bad idea.

Also the examples I'm thinking of were pretty plot relevant as well. For example early in Season 1 the rules for the house were that if you died on the premises and were buried on the grounds you became trapped in the house until your body was recovered and put to rest properly. However, later this changed to just dying in the house trapping you there regardless of any other factors which, in addition to creating a ton of plot holes, is a far less interesting setup here since there's no longer the question in the air of whether or not somebody might discover the bajillion bodies burried on the premises and free the ghosts.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't know, I thought this first 6 episodes was worse than the last 5 seasons. I did not care for it one bit.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

GreenNight posted:

I don't know, I thought this first 6 episodes was worse than the last 5 seasons. I did not care for it one bit.

I low key kinda like it when a new season shits itself so I can be like 'see *season I liked but everyone hated* wasn't so bad!'

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Nothing in the entire season made any sense. Where the gently caress are the cops? One cop? No one saw these assholes hanging around running people down? Christ.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'd recommend Netflix's show Midnight Mass to this thread who was supremely disappointed by this (half) season of AHS. I couldn't make it much beyond this season's flashback episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Nothing in the entire season made any sense. Where the gently caress are the cops? One cop? No one saw these assholes hanging around running people down? Christ.

cops will never help you