Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

KongGeorgeVII posted:

The *fix* for the misprinted arcs in the upcoming Tie Whisper is out too. AMG wants you to print bases out on pieces of paper and use them. This is a tournament legal solution according to them.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/1c/ac/1cac8028-8abd-441a-9bd3-79bd6061e40a/swz_errata_13.pdf

It's loving laughable. They should just be sending out fat stacks of the correct bases with future shipments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

I've been trying to cut AMG as much slack as possible because I know they don't have the staff to handle everything on their plate, but that's absurd.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Napoleon Nelson posted:

I've been trying to cut AMG as much slack as possible because I know they don't have the staff to handle everything on their plate, but that's absurd.

and they laid off the real staff lol

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Raged posted:

It's loving laughable. They should just be sending out fat stacks of the correct bases with future shipments.
Devil's advocate, but who's to say they're not? It might just be a stop gap for people who want to play with new ships immediately. Can't just instantly print and teleport the bases into shops around the world.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

hoiyes posted:

Devil's advocate, but who's to say they're not? It might just be a stop gap for people who want to play with new ships immediately. Can't just instantly print and teleport the bases into shops around the world.

We can't prove a negative.

The only thing we can prove is what they've done (lovely print-a-base) and what they've said (nothing, not even an announcement about print-a-base, just silently released them).

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

KongGeorgeVII posted:

The *fix* for the misprinted arcs in the upcoming Tie Whisper is out too. AMG wants you to print bases out on pieces of paper and use them. This is a tournament legal solution according to them.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/1c/ac/1cac8028-8abd-441a-9bd3-79bd6061e40a/swz_errata_13.pdf

Fine by me. I love the idea of being able to print out the corrected card and slide it into the card sleeve over the original. Looks better than my current method of 'print the corrected text, cut it out of the page, and slide that into the front of the card sleeve over the card.'

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TheCenturion posted:

Fine by me. I love the idea of being able to print out the corrected card and slide it into the card sleeve over the original. Looks better than my current method of 'print the corrected text, cut it out of the page, and slide that into the front of the card sleeve over the card.'

I'm 100% fine with this for card errata. Way better than FFG's method.

I'm not OK with it for ship bases where the firing arc lines are so integral to the game. There's absolutely nothing stopping someone from photoshopping their firing arc to be a bit wider or whatever. It'd be almost impossible to detect, and, even if you do detect it, there would be half a dozen plausibly deniable explanations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Or even just honest mistakes like the paper rotating around because it's not "locked in" to the base like the cardboard tiles are.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm not OK with it for ship bases where the firing arc lines are so integral to the game. There's absolutely nothing stopping someone from photoshopping their firing arc to be a bit wider or whatever. It'd be almost impossible to detect, and, even if you do detect it, there would be half a dozen plausibly deniable explanations.

Seems like the best interm solution until they get actual errata'd cardstock into people's hands.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

I mean, have people ever really done this? This feels like kind of a stretch to suggest that this could lead to an influx of crafty cheaters determined to improve the firing arc of the Whisper.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AndyElusive posted:

I mean, have people ever really done this? This feels like kind of a stretch to suggest that this could lead to an influx of crafty cheaters determined to improve the firing arc of the Whisper.

Given that this has never been an option before, no. It hasn't happened.

We've absolutely seen people cheat in myriad other ways though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TheCenturion posted:

Seems like the best interm solution until they get actual errata'd cardstock into people's hands.

Yeah! It's fine for casual play. It's the "tournament-legal" part that I don't like.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

No I hear what you're saying but I mean, you could take an existing ship base right now, tweak an image of it in photoshop to adjust its firing arc a little and apply it back onto the base and no one would be the wiser unless they were really looking.

But you're not a poo poo person who cheats at toy spaceships.

I wouldn't be too overly concerned that people are going to try and do this to snag an extra half a sixteenth of an inch or whatever with the Whispers arc.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AndyElusive posted:

No I hear what you're saying but I mean, you could take an existing ship base right now, tweak an image of it in photoshop to adjust its firing arc a little and apply it back onto the base and no one would be the wiser unless they were really looking.

But you're not a poo poo person who cheats at toy spaceships.

I wouldn't be too overly concerned that people are going to try and do this to snag an extra half a sixteenth of an inch or whatever with the Whispers arc.

I played some pretty high-level X-Wing before the pandemic. I personally encountered cheaters in many events. It wasn't most, but it was, no poo poo, somewhere in the order of 15-20% of events at the regional or higher level that I attended. And that's just the ones that I personally encountered.

Examples:
A guy who had modified his damage deck (replaced the direct hits, I caught it when he pulled three of the same crit that wasn't a direct. Claimed it was a mistake, not kicked from event, told to get a real deck).
A guy who was slyly changing dials (which I thought was an honest mistake until he got caught at loving World's for the exact same thing).
A guy who always "bumped" his ships with his hands in favorable ways. (Plausibly deniable, raised the concern with the head judge, replayed guy in the top 8, he didn't bump poo poo)
A guy who marked his damage cards and did card tricks to pull insignificant crits. (Caught at the table next to me)
A guy who was running cards not on his official list (and put him over 200 points). (Reported to judges, he quickly left the event. I only noticed because I'd built the exact same list before and knew it didn't have enough points for his stuff)
A guy who printed cards with incorrect/more favorable versions of abilities to trick lesser players. (Reported, player kicked out of event)

I have absolutely NO doubt that someone would modify their bases. I've simply seen too many cheaters. It's loving ridiculous, but cheating happens.

Also, there's problems with affixing them straight. Printed bases are just a terrible thing.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah! It's fine for casual play. It's the "tournament-legal" part that I don't like.

Yeah, it would be nice if there were errata card/base sets you could order along side the other Organized Play stuff to hand out at tournaments.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
if someone wants to photoshop a base to give themselves like a few millimeters of fire arc, i'd just let them because their life is so sad and hollow that they must really need it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Napoleon Nelson posted:

I was thinking pattern analyzer might work well too

Alas, not really. It only works off red maneuvers - so Segnor loops only. Meanwhile, thrusters cover Segnors, Dalan Oberos turn, Virago boost and just sitting on stress from a previous turn (say, by actually using your linked actions) and not caring. it doesn't let you take mods, but then again so was the case with using Advanced Sensors for repositioning. And anyway Guri gets her free focus and Dalan 1) might see play at all, lmao, 2) should be able to use Predator effectively, maneuver + spin + reposition could be pretty nasty.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

cheater history

Ya know what, fair enough.

Not even being sarcastic when I say that I greatly underestimated the propensity of people to go out of their way to cheat at competitive wang.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

enigmahfc posted:

if someone wants to photoshop a base to give themselves like a few millimeters of fire arc, i'd just let them because their life is so sad and hollow that they must really need it.
Nah that's dumb

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AndyElusive posted:

Ya know what, fair enough.

Not even being sarcastic when I say that I greatly underestimated the propensity of people to go out of their way to cheat at competitive wang.

It's ridiculous. And that's not even a complete list. I didn't mention that I caught a guy pulling shields off the wrong ship cards when he'd take damage at the last Tulsa Regional.

I had been knocked out of the running, was watching a friend's game, and dude would take damage on ship 1, pull the shield off ship 2. Next time ship 1 took damage, he pulled a shield off ship 3...

No idea how many OTHER games I didn't catch people cheating in small ways.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Even changing the DPI because you're saving ink on your printer can alter the arcs.
I think the only real solution, until it's erata'd is to allow players to use a different tile, with the understanding that only the bullseye arc counts.
I also hate X wing Organized play (even though I went to worlds in 2016). My last OP game of X wing was when I, using a laser, pointed to a break in the beam as evidence the ship was in arc. Then the judge came over held it down with their thumbs, moving the ship slightly, so they could measure with the cardboard. and then it was out of arc. I've only been so tilted at any OP of any game one other time.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I once lost a regional cut game because the judge hosed up measuring an arc on a shot, and when multiple people watching the game called him on it he went to remeasure, "accidently" bumped the ship and then said that now he couldn't remeasure so the decision stood. Also just happened he was friends with my opponent and I was from out of town.

Also lost another game at that same store after the cut the next year because there was a close call where he was in the arc of my ship, but it was close. He asks the two people watching to call a judge, waits for them to turn around to look for a judge then just bumps the ship as soon as their back is turned. Nothing happened to him because he just said he didn't do it and there were no witnesses technically.

Long story short gently caress Ohio

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Our local store is doing eight events the third weekend of October and the TO has already set that he'll allow any other base tiles that are the same pilot skill

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Floppychop posted:

Our local store is doing eight events the third weekend of October and the TO has already set that he'll allow any other base tiles that are the same pilot skill

That may be so, but if it's an official tournament they will also have to allow people to print there own bases too. Can't turn people away because it's officially tournament legal.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

KongGeorgeVII posted:

That may be so, but if it's an official tournament they will also have to allow people to print there own bases too. Can't turn people away because it's officially tournament legal.

I think it's technically an official event so the printed bases are allowed. He's just allowing people to use cardboard tiles. This is in a middle of nowhere town and we're using an old kit (FO stuff, I think) so it's super casual.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Played my first in person game in two years tonight.

Zori with wartime, protorps and marksmanship is top tier trolling. I nuked a tokened up obi wan by rolling a natural crit then turning two hits to crits.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Last week I was chatting to Xwing people at legion night and they convinced me to play again because bossk, fenn rau and hwks were all pretty good at the moment.

They made me a list which is now 212 points ffs.

But Guri with pattern analyser seems really fun. Especially with a coordinate HWK.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Played my first in person game in two years tonight.

Zori with wartime, protorps and marksmanship is top tier trolling. I nuked a tokened up obi wan by rolling a natural crit then turning two hits to crits.

Couldn't that be accomplished with any of the new Y-wings? Though Zori is the only PS 5 pilot and bullseyes with low PS pilots is more luck than skill.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Floppychop posted:

Couldn't that be accomplished with any of the new Y-wings? Though Zori is the only PS 5 pilot and bullseyes with low PS pilots is more luck than skill.

Not when obi tries to avoid the bullseye by barrel rolling

Deadmeat
Jul 18, 2006

hoiyes posted:

They made me a list which is now 212 points ffs.

I’m sorry I got your hopes up. I think Bossk without Zam can still be good, but I’d need to try it to see if it feels good enough.

quote:

But Guri with pattern analyser seems really fun. Especially with a coordinate HWK.

Guri with primed thrusters also looks good.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bossk with Greedo, trick shot, contraband cybernetics, and jabba is way, way better than anyone realizes. A buddy of mine was wrecking face with it in the side tournaments at the last system open before the pandemic.

It’s incredibly powerful to stop nearly indefinitely with a 180 arc while still getting tokens. You can park behind a large obstacle and throw four dice, with a guaranteed exit from Greedo. If that crit gets through, it turns into two hits. This setup pumps out stupid damage.

Yeah crits suck but the meta is i3 stuff now. Greedo shoots first.

Although Jabba going up to eleven points (wtf?) might tip him into “too expensive” territory.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I was thinking of running Bossk with compassion Kanan just for added tank.
Edit: no so great actually, as I thought Kanan had 2 force points not 1.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 28, 2021

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I want to get back into this, just casually and also to meet up with the people I used to play with before. Some of the lists that I enjoyed the most were like 3 gunboat/QD (before 2.0), or during 2.0 I used to run Maul + Mini-Swarm. Wanted to try this that somewhat reminded me of 3 Gunboat/QD:

Nu Squadron Pilot (32)
Fire-Control System (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (7)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Nu Squadron Pilot (32)
Fire-Control System (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (7)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Nu Squadron Pilot (32)
Fire-Control System (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (7)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Soontir Fel (53)
Predator (2)
Afterburners (7)
Total: 194

Any thoughts? Not really sure what's good or not anymore since I haven't played in years and the only thing I really played in 2.0 was the Maul + Mini-swarm list.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 28, 2021

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I don't think gunboats were ever really played over 2.0. Vynder, sometimes, but I don't recall him scoring any big wins either. Maul, on the other hand, is poised for a big return, with Hate going back to the old value (and the ship itself shaving off a few points).

Anyway, if you want to fly the gunboats for funsies, those low-ini, target-lock hungry ships could really use some XX-23 S-Thread Tracers. Not a fan of stacking too many plasma torps in one list - unless you luck out into a matchup with Rebels or maybe something like a double firespray, the shields tend to melt way faster than one would expect. And once it's only providing the third die, might as well cheapskate with some rockets instead.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Bossk with Greedo, trick shot, contraband cybernetics, and jabba is way, way better than anyone realizes. A buddy of mine was wrecking face with it in the side tournaments at the last system open before the pandemic.

It’s incredibly powerful to stop nearly indefinitely with a 180 arc while still getting tokens. You can park behind a large obstacle and throw four dice, with a guaranteed exit from Greedo. If that crit gets through, it turns into two hits. This setup pumps out stupid damage.

Although Jabba going up to eleven points (wtf?)] might tip him into “too expensive” territory.

Blame False Transponder Codes

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, this is purely a for-funsies list, nothing competitive.

So maybe modified a bit to this:

Nu Squadron Pilot (32)
Fire-Control System (2)
XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (4)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)
Proton Torpedoes (12)

Nu Squadron Pilot (32)
Fire-Control System (2)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)
Proton Rockets (5)

Nu Squadron Pilot (32)
Fire-Control System (2)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)
Proton Rockets (5)

Soontir Fel (53)
Predator (2)
Afterburners (7)
Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Did you mean the Barrage Rockets instead of Protons?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Although Jabba going up to eleven points (wtf?) might tip him into “too expensive” territory.

Makes me want to go searching through my house for my missing Xwing stuff. I moved right before the pandemic and all my medium and large ships ended up... somewhere. I have no idea exactly where I just know they're in a box somewhere.

Or I just give up and buy a 2.0 Houndstooth and get a fancy Z-95 as a kicker, though it's not like I need a 9th Z-95.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Blame False Transponder Codes

This is why a Restricted list makes so much sense. Rather than increasing one card's cost to ridiculous levels because of an interaction with another card, you simply say you can't have both.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lichtenstein posted:

I don't think gunboats were ever really played over 2.0. Vynder, sometimes, but I don't recall him scoring any big wins either. Maul, on the other hand, is poised for a big return, with Hate going back to the old value (and the ship itself shaving off a few points).

Anyway, if you want to fly the gunboats for funsies, those low-ini, target-lock hungry ships could really use some XX-23 S-Thread Tracers. Not a fan of stacking too many plasma torps in one list - unless you luck out into a matchup with Rebels or maybe something like a double firespray, the shields tend to melt way faster than one would expect. And once it's only providing the third die, might as well cheapskate with some rockets instead.

Run 'em cheap with Autoblaster Cannons. They're super efficient with that setup. You can get four of them with Predator Soontir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The only issue with running 4 gunboats is that I only have 3 gunboats :v: